Guilds?

rodama

hi am a new player that never played a MMO before but i love star war i didn't gave it a try until before because i need a new computer to run it. i have been ask to join a few guilds while playing but didn't know what they are. what are you supposed to do in a guild? what are they about and how are they different from one another?

hi am a new player that never played a MMO before but i love star war i didn't gave it a try until before because i need a new computer to run it. i have been ask to join a few guilds while playing but didn't know what they are. what are you supposed to do in a guild? what are they about and how are they different from one another?

This question would have been better made in the "New Player Help" section (you would probably get more responses there then here in "Community").

A guild is a collection of like-minded players who, ideally, help one another out and run heroics and end-game content together. Not all guild are created equally, and a lot will only want lvl 50 characters... some are casual with no real expectations other than to have fun while other can be hardcore with mandatory guild meets etc. Most of the time guilds are the best place to learn all the ins and outs of the game as there is ALOT that isn’t explained and isn’t intuitive.

In other words, think of a guild as a friendly online gang of players :)

The first reply was pretty accurate, but you have to be careful. Along with the good guilds that are there to help each other and have a good time there are also bad ones.

Types of bad guilds, when you recognize you are in one it's best just to get out and find another:

1- The "my little army" guild, if you don't do what the leader wants he tells his little gaggle of yes-man chronies to exclude you from everything that should make a guild worth being in. If you find you guild leader demanding that you do things just because he says so, get out.

2- The "we're the biggest" guild, some people just want to be in the "biggest guild on the server" so they recruit every new player they can find.... and then ignore them. If the guild's biggest claim to fame is its size when they invite you... just decline.

3- The "you owe me guild", everyone in your guild seems super friendly and helpful, until they want something, and they always will. If they helped you grind up your toon or kill a boss to get a piece of armor you really wanted, you now owe them your soul and if you don't help them do every flashpoint or heroic that they want, or give them all the crafting supplies they need because "they were the ones that made you able to collect them"... well, pack your bags, because you'll be going on a loooong guilt trip. The best part about these guilds is they usually won't stop even after you leave, as they will bad talk you to every other guild as "not a team player" just because you didn't become their slave after they helped you with one mission.

4- The "what's in it for me" guild, you don't really need that loot do you? Ever had someone tell you they'll help you as long as they get to keep all the loot? Now imagine 40 of them and they all know where you are an what you're doing all the time.... yeah.

Basically, don't let people take advantage of you. There's no shame in bailing if you're not satisfied with a guild. The best rule of thumb is make friends first, then join their guild... not join a guild and hope to make friends once you're in.

Edited by bahdasz