I won't play Huttball. I'm gonna leave every single time it pops and it pops TOO MUCH

NogueiraA

Tonight I played for 3 hours.

I've counted 16 regular warzone pops on Star Forge, 11 was Huttball which I left of course.

So I spent more time leaving warzones and re-queueing than actually playing pvp.

Hutball pops WAY TOO MUCH, it is not my fault for not wanting to play this terrible map anymore, I have no stomach to play Huttball anymore.

So my subscription is not being worth my time playing pvp anymore.

I've counted 16 regular warzone pops on Star Forge, 11 was Huttball which I left of course.

So I spent more time leaving warzones and re-queueing than actually playing pvp.

Hutball pops WAY TOO MUCH, it is not my fault for not wanting to play this terrible map anymore, I have no stomach to play Huttball anymore.

I am already doing that...

No lagball for me. I want to PVP , that's why I pay my sub. Laggy space fifa ain't my thing and it's funny to see how many people leave before the start once they get a hutball pop. Also, most backfil games are huttball because people leave and sadly we have 3 maps, which significantly. increases the chance of getting one.

Wow, you have WAY more tolerance than I do. I usually alt-tab out and kill the game after the 2nd map I don't like (yes, 2 of which are the two newest huttball maps). I can't even be bothered to wait for the game to close down "naturally".

completely agree. Huttball is laggy, 80% of the people in the match dont play the objective anyway. Yea not a fun time. We queue as a guild and always leave every huttball match we get, which as you stated tends to be the bulk of the maps in the "random" queue. If you stay in the match until it almost starts you can watch people join group "nope!" and leave. Ive seen entire teams turn over the roster because so many people absolutely HATE huttball. I really wish devs actually read this stuff and addressed some of these problems because shoving huttball in everyones face is just making people dislike pvp, or the game in general.

I rarely get to play much 8 man pvp anymore because it doesn’t pop when I’m online. But when it does pop, it’s mostly Hutt Ball or OPG (which I loath).

I played a 6 hour session last night or morning if you were in the US and this is the what popped.

2 Vandin Ball

4 Quesh Ball

3 Original Hutt Ball

3 OPG (Odessen Proving Ground)

26 Arena

Not one other type of 8 man map popped.

I hate OPG with a passion because no one knows how to play it or if they do they don’t care to win.

No one on my team tries to win in Hutt ball and those that do seem to be hacking these days. Combine that with the terrible dsync and it makes me want to log out.

I’m not a fan of arena. But I’ve no choice when the queue pops are slow from lack of players. At least they are over fast and 90% of people play to win (unlike Hutt ball or OPG) and it’s not rocket science. Ie, focus this guy first and kill. Which is about as basic as it gets.

On the other hand, trying to explain you need to play the ball to win seems like you need to be a genius to work that one out 🙄

As much as I used to like HB, I now hate it because of the reasons above. When it pops I grown and wish arena would pop instead. Which says a lot considering I have no love for arena. Give me Hypergates or civil war any day of the week.

We’ve been complaining about these Hutt ball pops for over 12 months now. Musco even made a yellow post to ask for ideas on how to fix it. Which we all responded and gave our opinions. Since then we’ve had zero communication as per usual.

They know it’s a problem for players because they responded and said they did. But don’t give a damn to fix it. Which is driving players away from the game or the pvp part of it. That is why it mostly pops arena for me now. Because before we had this Hutt ball pop problem, I rarely got any arena matches due to low queue numbers, now that’s all I get because no one is queuing.

There's probably been a hundred threads created on this topic and not one has ever been addressed by someone with yellow text. I just have to assume they don't care.

I agree though, it's pretty gamebreaking for anyone that tends to queue PVP above all else. I leave every HB map now, and usually OPG too. Soon I will start leaving Yavin because it's always popping after those.

It's just dumb how they got the queues working plain and simple. There should be some control on behalf of the players to choose what maps they are in queue for.

Trying to force players into maps they dislike doesn't work. We just leave them which then leaves a team potentially imbalanced if the back-fill doesn't work. How does it make sense leaving the queues for WZs like this?

Just as important, how hard is it for a representative to acknowledge this issue and either say they are planning to fix it, or that they can do nothing about it... Is it so hard to communicate back to players via the forums? (Hello, Eric?)

Better yet, just keep it as is. The more reasons I have for not wanting to log in the better. I get a lot more work done now thanks to the assumed deliberate worsening of the game as the years go by and I play less and less.

With less and less people queuing for pvp, it makes you wonder what their next step is for pvp. Are they planning another server merge in the US? Because that might be the only way to save the decline of pvp numbers in the next 6-12 months.

I won't be playing as much as before because I rather spend my free time actually playing something than re-queuing and praying to not get bad maps. So I may play other games and cancel my sub on swtor, and that's the devs fault.

Warzone filter will make queue pop longer? 100% true but I rather spend more time in queue and get a decent Voidstar, than queuing and leaving 5 times in a row.

Is there PVP, or is it PVE only? Group finder type dungeons, or what?

It's PvE only (for all real purposes anyway). Doesn't really scratch that PvP itch. But I posted that link mainly because I thought it was such a classy thing they did giving away for free a ton of their content that you used to have to either grind for or pay for. It'd be like if, say, bioware decided to allow F2P people to have unlimited access to PvP matches here! (There, that makes this a PvP related post. :D )

More details...

It's, for all practical purposes, PvE only. But I find their PvE way more varied and fun than the PvE in this game. They *have* PvP, but it is absolutely dead dead dead. They have a PvP forum. The last post in it was from January 2020. The 2nd post down was from August 2019. So it's even more of a ghost town than this forum is. Besides, their classes are not balance for PvP at all.

All dungeons are instanced. You can do almost all of them solo if you want. A few have mechanics that require multiple people. They have a PUG group finder that works reasonably well in my opinion. The way it normally works, for me, is that it lists all the quest where you can just join a group who "are already in progress but probably have JUST started". Most of the time you can just join. Sometimes a group will change it so they they have to approve you getting in. But you can see exactly what quest you are going to join, and you have some indication of what stage they might be at, because you can see how long since they started it. Once I get out of the starter areas their are usually anywhere from 0 to 10 quests I can join at any given time (usually not zero, but sometimes). Even in the starter areas there are people sometimes allowing for groups to join when they run them.

You run the quests at one of 4 specific "difficulty levels". All quests except a few starter "tutorial" type ones have the difficulty selector. There's a "solo" mode for most quests, and then normal, hard & elite. There's also a "reaper" mode, but we won't talk about that (except that it's even harder than elite). :D

LOTS of classes and races to pick from (and races matter for more than just cosmetic purposes). And you can mix and match classes... so it'd be like taking a few levels of assassin, then a few of mara, then a few of sniper. Obviously not everything works well together, but it makes for a ton of variety.

They did introduce recently a server called the "hardcore server" which might interest the PvPr's? You run a character on that server, and you can only die once. No "respawning at the graveyard". The goal is to see how high level you can get and how much stuff you can complete before you die. There are prizes for getting to certain thresholds. I haven't seen anyone at all complain about throwers, cheaters, or being vote kicked. :D

It has it's problems for sure. But as a whole, the community and the company behind it just same way better than a lot of what we get here.

[Edit: For PvP that *could* happen, there's this... https://ddowiki.com/page/PvP DDO does have "pits" which are I think free-for-all brawling areas in taverns. I think these were the original "PvP" in the game. I'm not sure if they are used much because I've never entered them. They also have deathmatch arenas I guess - you can set it up 1v1, or team-v-team, and to run from 1 minute to 1 hour. No in game rewards. And they have a "capture the flag" mode. Also no rewards. They do turn off some abilities for PvP that I guess they think would be too powerful. But as stated under the "details" thing I put in, my understanding is that no one does PvP... I mean no one. I'll go sign up for it for a bit, and see what happens. :D I guess, in theory, a bunch of "us" could migrate over there and just do some PvP for PvP sake. But I don't really see that happening. ]

Edited by Banderal

I won't be playing as much as before because I rather spend my free time actually playing something than re-queuing and praying to not get bad maps. So I may play other games and cancel my sub on swtor, and that's the devs fault.

Warzone filter will make queue pop longer? 100% true but I rather spend more time in queue and get a decent Voidstar, than queuing and leaving 5 times in a row.

Yes, I agree. This is why less and less people are playing pvp.

So it’s a catch-22 situation. If they add a filter it will increase queue times for some maps. But if they don’t add a filter, then more people stop playing which also increases pop times for ALL maps.

The compromise is to have a similar system to the flash point and operations queues. With those activities you can choose only one map or all maps. But that would obviously kill the pvp queue to do it that way.

The way I would set it up is so you get to choose 1-3 maps (or 1-5 if you include arena) you don’t want to play or you can choose to play all maps.

Of course some maps will be less popular or more popular than others and this will slow or speed up the pops on certain maps. But it will also mean the people queuing are more likely to stay and not leave if they get a map pop they don’t like. This will help keep the system with its half baked matchmaking be a tiny bit more balanced and you won’t have people leave every 2nd pop because they get a map they don’t like.

I think it would be interesting if Bioware collected all the data points together of people leaving matches and how long they spend requeuing to get the maps they want vs how long the pops take. I believe if you massaged these numbers together, the actual time people spend in the queue would be much longer than how fast it pops.

I would even suggest Bioware add Arena to the selection or deselection option if they went down this path.

Of course, when queue numbers fall below a certain point, it would still need to revert to arena only or pvp wouldn’t pop for hours of the day. This is especially important for lowbie and mid lvl pvp.

The other thing I would do is add a mechanism to encourage people to queue for all maps. This would help combat slower queue pops for less popular maps.

They could do this by having two ways to queue and adding mission(s) / quests. Both queues would still use the same pool of player together to form the matches.

1. Allow people to queue under the map de-selection option (as proposed above)

2. Allow people to queue generic like we do now (which includes all maps).

3. Then add extra missions / weeklies with extra rewards for queuing in the generic queue

4. Add a lock out deserter timer of 5 mins if you leave pops while in the generic queue “only” (this would help stop people exploiting the system and leaving if they don’t get the map they want).

Obviously, people in the generic (All maps queue) queue might get faster pops because they aren’t being choosy on what maps they get. And some people in the other queue might get slower pops if they pick maps that are less popular.

But overall, I think pop times wouldn’t be affected as much and it gives players a semblance of choice. This can only have a positive affect on player enjoyment and retention.

I agree with you, although I'll usually suffer through the 7 minutes just to get the daily/weekly done (first-world problems). If I'm on a team that clearly has no interest in or ability to play the objectives, I'll just go off and do my own thing. If I'm on a junk team AND getting piled on by four players who are obviously in a premade, I'll leave or just go off in a corner so they don't get the satisfaction of repeatedly killing me. Having to also fight the environment on Quesh & Vandin ain't exactly my idea of fun, either.

That brings me to another point: premades, with their organization, their having tanks and healers who actually know their roles, are preventing us average players from getting better. It's hard to play when you're constantly dead and have no support. I know, I know "get gud." Whatever. Unless you're a Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux of PVP (or have combat stealth off cooldown), it doesn't matter how good you are when a bunch of skilled opponents jump you all at once.

Once in a while, you do get on a good team and can actually contribute without getting jumped by a million enemies at once, so I guess hold out for those opportunities? I don't know. Agreed that the system is crummy as is.

Why three maps of Crapball were deemed necessary, too, is beyond me. Only one or two other simulations have more than one map, and no others have three.

Why three maps of Crapball were deemed necessary, too, is beyond me. Only one or two other simulations have more than one map, and no others have three.

Believe it or not, the second one was asked for! "Way back when", huttball was actually more popular. People actually played the ball more, etc., etc. And "we" asked for another map, because huttball was so much fun (sure, there were still people that hated it, but not as many I think). So the Quesh Huttball map was by request. Well, not the mechanics of the map, but just a "2nd huttball map". Then it turned out the Quesh HB map sucked for various reasons.

I don't know why they made a third one. I don't remember anyone asking for a third one at the time they did that.

• 2 weeks later...

See, I can like Huttball. I even really like Quesh Huttball. Course with Vandor Huttball I lag so much I am literally just sitting here waiting for the match to end so I can finish Vocoder for Freedom...

In 10 matches of PvP, I've had 9 of them be Huttball, and 6 of those 9 were with the same pre-made team that just kept wiping the floor with everyone. I've spent the last three matches of Huttball before this one just sitting in a corner and waiting for the timer to run out or the other team to win outright. I hate Vandor, I hate the areans, OPG is just... Really bad, and was disliked even when it came out by the vast majority of players...

But they're never going to actually listen to us on this, are they? They're just gonna keep queuing Huttball and freakin' 4v4 arena matches constantly rather than giving us some actual variety to what we're playing...

why so much OPG hate ? :((( It s my favorite WZ along with civil war and it s twin Yavin...

OPG is really exciting, thankfully a lot of pvp ers on my server TH know how it works so that makes for really fun matches... give me 5 consecutive OPG pops, instead of half a Huttball which i ll leave once i spawned...

I feel your pain, but at least Huttball offers a reprieve from the stomp teams in voidstar, arena and sometimes Alderaan. Without huttball the game would be worse and make the valor grind even more painful. Besides it offers a great place to learn your pvp rotations 1 on 1 and just kind of goof off. I would have to disagree with the removal of huttball. They need to add a CTF type map or another stronghold type map this year, but def. DONT remove huttball.

Dsync with unstoppable operatives are what makes HB terrible to me. I actually enjoy huttball when there are no Operatives because you can counter play most mechanics.

One thing that needs to stop is cherry picking. It is the lamest beta way to play in the world. Think about how bad sports like soccer and football would be without the offsides penalty....

The endzone should have a death timer. You stand there too long you die. Stealth classes... I main one (Hatred Sin Diecrux)… Should not be valid targets for "X" seconds after decloaking.

Fixing these issues would go a long way to making huttball more enjoyable.

Oh look, its another "I hate huttball" thread, oh joy!

Why do we need to know about every player that doesnt like huttball? On the contrary, dont you think that there are many more players who like it?? I for instance love huttball! I love the original one, the 2nd one and the last one I love the least, yet its still good.

Devs do see the numbers, they do see people leaving warzones, you do not have to come here and tell that you are actually doing it! If you do not like it, then dont play it, thats all.