Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Actually, they never said anything against making romantic companions "herosexual", only that they are writing entirely unique romance stories for same-gender relationships rather than just swapping out gender-specific language. Beyond that, of course, it's all guesswork until they actually decide to tell us something.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they never said anything against making romantic companions "herosexual", only that they are writing entirely unique romance stories for same-gender relationships rather than just swapping out gender-specific language. Beyond that, of course, it's all guesswork until they actually decide to tell us something.

Fair point - I've likely been getting our thrashing discussion mixed up with the scant amount of so-called information we've been given.

Yeah - the Stephen Reid announcement and Daniel Erickson's remarks aren't a lot to go on, and some of the inferences that can be drawn from them are contradictory.

Hey, I know! Maybe we can start a thread to ask for same-gender relationships clarifications!

If you're straight and male, you're golden.Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes.

I noticed that. My boyfriend is playing a Sith Warrior and I'm an Inquisitor and his storyline with Vette (we haven't gotten to Jesea yet) is SO cute but mine with Andronikos is kinda flat. I'm a female player that enjoys wooing characters, particularly other females, so the fact that I'm stuck with 1. A male and 2. A male that's kinda boring makes me sad. SW get so much love in terms of flirts (if you're male) and it's hilarious to watch/play, but it makes me feel like SIs got the short end of the stick.

If they give us SGRs then hopefully it'll make the game feel less like, "This is your only option cuz yeah we wanted it this way" and more like, "Yo, I heard you wanted a romancable companion that isn't flat as medieval earth, here ya go!"

Ugh, I'm just rambling now.

I also popped in because I had to show you guys this.

Behold, Darth Maul Donald Duck!

The Disney/LA merger hath spawned something awesome!

I don't really know much about Ensign Temple, to be honest, but from what I know about her, she seems more lesbianic than straight imo.

I see her as a sexuality blank slate, as she doesn't bring it up in anyway at all

It's kind of interesting talking about the IA female pair (Kaliyo/Temple). Lots of people see Kaliyo as 'that type' while Temple 'isn't that type' for them (whatever that means).

However, Kaliyo expresses many instances of male attraction and you meet past boyfriends, etc. while with Temple none of that comes close to happening and she would have the more subjective sexuality.

If they give us SGRs then hopefully it'll make the game feel less like, "This is your only option cuz yeah we wanted it this way" and more like, "Yo, I heard you wanted a romancable companion that isn't flat as medieval earth, here ya go!"

I agree so much!

Edited by stuffystuffs

That dialogue definitely can't happen with a female without a bug or a mod. The Handmaiden never joins the crew of a female Exile so why would she want to see what she sees that causes her heart to race and her tone to change?

No it wasn't a bug or mod. I just ran through the final chapters of a clean version of SWTOR The Sith Lords to double check. I've played this game like 20 times, and played through about 4 times as a female. She always is a viable romance option throughout the game for a female.

As for the dialogue, referencing the Handmaiden, call it something missed by Obsidian. If you want to be picky about it, you can always say that Visas was expressing jealousy over the obvious admiration Brianna held towards the female exile. After all the female exile still meets the Handmaiden in Atris's Academy.

However I will grant this. I purchased one of the first editions of SWTOR: TSL (Kotor 2 for the uninitiated) and I did run across some discussion referencing Obsidian changing a few things in the later patches and retail versions. (This was several years ago and I don't remember where) I think I vaguely remember a similar discussion about Visas too. From what I remember, Obsidian may have taken out the same-sex romance option between the Exile and Visas with it's later productions. Many of the newer game owners of that forum where confused about the same sex option, saying it wasn't available on their version. The change may have been an executive decision forced by Lucasfilms, worried about the controversial subject. People inquired about it, but Obsidian never really said much about it. Only saying that they needed to include some changes in their new production batches.

But as it stands, yes. I can totaly lez up with Visas on TSL. We even have "force sex"! :D

That's rather odd, because I distinctly remember not being able to do so the time I tried a female exile. If they removed it, did they consider it a bug? Kotor 2 was full of bugs even in it's unfinished state. I would have to wonder, Especially if the dialogue doesn't fully make sense. I actually remember similar conversations happening when Juhani sometimes seems attracted to a Male Revan.

If you're straight and male, you're golden.

Straight women get a choice between Jedi Consular and Sith Warrior for two "romance" options. Although most classes do only get a choice of one or nothing.

Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes. Smuggler and Agent are two female LI's, one male. Sith Warrior has ALL the love. Consular is two male LI's, one female.

Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.

Female Consular and Warriors (I'm pretty sure) don't get to choose. Theran and Peirce are optional hookups but they aren't full romance options. For that they are both stuck with with Iresso and Quinn respectively if they want. I've never played a full run of a smuggler but the only classes I know that can have a complete love triangle choice are Male SW and Male IA. Everyone else just gets one full choice or nothing.

Edited by OldVengeance

Yeah - the Stephen Reid announcement and Daniel Erickson's remarks aren't a lot to go on, and some of the inferences that can be drawn from them are contradictory.

Hey, I know! Maybe we can start a thread to ask for same-gender relationships clarifications!

Brilliant! Maybe should call it something like Same gender relationships clarifications? and stick in the Story and Lore board where no one can see it!

Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.

I'm guessing: not every class will have an SGRA available for each gender.

Congrats Female Inquisitor! You waited 1+ year for SGRA's and get none!

Edited by stuffystuffs

I'm guessing: not every class will have an SGRA available for each gender.

Congrats Female Inquisitor! You waited 1+ year for SGRA's and get none!

If they do that I'm going to be so bloody pissed on principle.

I just... ugh... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If they do that I'm going to be so bloody pissed on principle.

I just... ugh... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yeah.

Well, they could make everyone available except one female for the IA and SW so technically not everyone is available but each class has 1 male/1 female...

...but I don't see that happening.

Yeah.

Well, they could make everyone available except one female for the IA and SW so technically not everyone is available but each class has 1 male/1 female...

...but I don't see that happening.

It would be nice to know if they have plans for every class to get a same-sex romance option, with either sex, with current companions. Future companions I couldn't give any less of a toss about - they don't exist yet.

I have been in touch with Allison, possibly due to going axe-crazy on General earlier. I think I laid out the issues I have with the handling of this well. I'll see what I get in reply. The latest was a reiteration of the familiar:

We know you are frustrated that there is no new information to share, but I can assure you again that the Community Team is well-aware of your concerns and is working to bring more information as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Just a bit of a "shut up and leave us alone, we're 'working'" in there or is it just me?

You think maybe they have an idea that we might - just maybe - want a teeny tiny bit of information on this subject? Just a little hint...

Edited by Tatile

Trick or treaters are about to show up. Got my witchy black velvet dress on, with my cloak and my devil horns. I figured I'd swing by here real quick and show you the fully updated Disney question.

Update: 10/30 10) Isn't Disney opposed to same sex marriage?

On October 30th, it was officially announced that Disney had bought out LucasArts and LucasFilms. This has lead to understandable questions about Disney and the LGBT community.

To begin with, Disney currently offers benefits for same sex couples and has for years.

This is from the official website.

Disney is committed to the total well-being — physical, emotional and financial — of our employees and cast members. Disney Healthy Pursuits is the collection of benefits and wellness programs we offer our employees to support them in their pursuits of a healthier life. In 2009, as part of Disney Healthy Pursuits, we launched a new Wellness Rewards Program. Employees who participate are eligible for financial incentives in return for making healthy choices. Currently, the Wellness Rewards Program is part of a multi-year approach to recognize employees who are taking healthy steps and getting results. Employees can earn up to $300 (or double if their spouse or same-sex domestic partner also participates) to help offset their healthcare costs. As of November 30, 2010, 54% of eligible employees had completed the Personal Health Assessment required to qualify for the program.

One of Disney’s foundational values is to respect, appreciate and value everyone. In keeping with this philosophy, same-sex domestic partners are considered dependents and are eligible for benefits.

Recently, same sex marriages started to be performed at Tokyo Disney, with a relevant part to the US.

In the U.S., same-sex couples have been allowed to hold commitment ceremonies at Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in Southern California for years.

And although Disney had previously limited its pricey "Fairy Tale Wedding" package -- which includes a ceremony at one of the parks' marriage pavilions, costumed characters at the reception, and a ride in a horse-drawn, glass-enclosed carriage through the Disney property -- to couples with valid marriage licenses, the company changed its policy in April 2007 to include couples entering civil partnerships after an inquiry from a gay guest.

According to The Washington Post, gay couples can take advantage of the "Fairy Tale Wedding" package at Disney's U.S. theme parks and aboard its cruise ships, even if the ceremony is not technically legal.

Finally, Marvel Comics, owned by Disney, has an interracial gay couple from the X-Men series married as of June of this year.

There is no reason to believe that SGRs in The Old Republic will be cut because of Disney's viewpoint.

Anyway, have a safe and fun Halloween everyone!

Edited by natashina

"We know you are frustrated that there is no new information to share, but I can assure you again that the Community Team is well-aware of your concerns and is working to bring more information as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!"

Evidently, they're sticking to the 'this year' statement. With that assumption, I have a wild idea - go down to the writers' room, fish out the scripts and check who's the SGR-LI for each Class (if each Class is getting them).

Bang - people will know which planet to stop at/which companion to wait on, while we wait for the technical side of things to be fleshed out by the Voice-Over/Animation departments.

(And on the off-chance those scripts aren't finished - it's November, what the **** have they been doing all year?)

"We know you are frustrated that there is no new information to share, but I can assure you again that the Community Team is well-aware of your concerns and is working to bring more information as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!"

Evidently, they're sticking to the 'this year' statement. With that assumption, I have a wild idea - go down to the writers' room, fish out the scripts and check who's the SGR-LI for each Class (if each Class is getting them).

Bang - people will know which planet to stop at/which companion to wait on, while we wait for the technical side of things to be fleshed out by the Voice-Over/Animation departments.

(And on the off-chance those scripts aren't finished - it's November, what the **** have they been doing all year?)

It'd be nice to know at the very least if we have to stop our classes at all. I don't want to miss the Dorne romance, but at the same time she's so interesting to talk to.

Honestly, I am hoping for Temple at this point. Should fit my Agent well (Agent is also light side, except when she feels compelled to go Darkside, which is only to please keeper and not get into trouble, so not often.)

It'd be nice to know at the very least if we have to stop our classes at all. I don't want to miss the Dorne romance, but at the same time she's so interesting to talk to.

Maybe we should PM Ms. Berryman or Mr. Gonazlez and ask, I get the feeling someone hasn't realised that the questions we're asking are actually important to the nature of this content.

(I have no chocolate, snappy unhappy times commence :( )

From the PvP forums:

Hi everyone! I asked Damion Schubert for any news or information we can share. There are many questions about the topic, but he did have a bit to say about new Warzone content:

Fear not! New Warzone content is in heavy testing and should be in the next major patch after 1.5. We hesitate to give exact timing, but definitely before the year's end.

Well and good, I guess... they needed more content after ruining Ilum for themselves.

That is almost certainly Ancient Hypergates, which is the WZ Gabe A's interview was about. How funny if it comes in the same patch.

And how typical that they talk about pending PvP content and its current development status but never say a word to us.

That is almost certainly Ancient Hypergates, which is the WZ Gabe A's interview was about. How funny if it comes in the same patch.

And how typical that they talk about pending PvP content and its current development status but never say a word to us.

I couldn't agree with you more. Reading this just made me see red. :mad::mad::mad:

/overdue rant on:

"Hi everyone! I asked Damion Schubert for any news or information we can share. There are many questions about the topic, but he did have a bit to say about new Warzone content:

Fear not! New Warzone content is in heavy testing and should be in the next major patch after 1.5. We hesitate to give exact timing, but definitely before the year's end.

Now, the best way to sum up what this a lot of what this thread needs is the following. Let's play Mad-Libs, shall we?

Hi everyone! I asked Hall Hood for any information we can share. There are many questions about this topic, but he did have a bit to say about the new romance content.

Fear Not! New Same Gender Romance content is in heavy testing and should be in the next major patch after 1.5. We hesitate to give exact timing, but definitely before the year's end.

See what I did there? To all the moderators, developers, middle men, haters and supporters alike...THIS is what we want right here. No serious details, just an approximate time/patch when it's due.

That is how you give the SGR supporters more information without sticking to "Soon" or "This year." It's getting very old and we've lost major supporters along the way. I read MusedMoose's goodbye post when I came back in mid September and it was really sad.

EA/BW/LA/whomever is in charge, you'll probably lose more players like this if you insist on clinging to your seemingly timid and sparse responses.

Releasing this information to PvP players and NOT EVEN TRYING TO LET THE PLAYERS know about SGRs is a double standard.

To those that allow the moderators information to give to us...their bosses...you know you can do better that what you've given us. IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THAT PVP INFO POST.

For those that are the bosses of the moderators, the ones in charge of giving the okay for releases in information, shame on you.

I don't blame the mods one idiota for this, and I don't think most of the people in here blame them either. I can feel their frustration in their responses. Not so much with us, but with the NDA that is keeping their hands tied.

This isn't right or fair to the posters and supporters throughout ToR. It's a disservice to the entire fanbase to keep them in the dark.

It's also a disservice to the hardworking mods that are trying to do all they can within the severe limits that has been set for them by the over egotistical Powers That Be.

I don't care if the player likes it, hates it or doesn't care, THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW.

/rant off

On top of that, I just came down with the flu. Thanks for bearing with me everyone. I had to get that off my chest.

Edited by natashina

At this point, I want some serious effing details. But just about anything is better than nothing.

They wouldn't even confirm whether previous statements were still current. Really, BioWare? Really?

That's the rant for tonight. I am hoping that I really will get something for us out of the current dialog with Allison, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Uluain