Best Approach to Completing Heroic Quests and Social Points

dubiousdude

I'm having trouble on my first try at leveling a character. When I go to a new world, I am finishing the missions sans the Heroic 4 missions. This is due to not being able (in a timely manner) to find a group to complete them with. When I level up, eventually the older Heroic 4 missions become gray. Should I go ahead and complete them anyway, or is it okay to abort or drop the mission? How do I gain Social Points? I read somewhere that the points can be gained just by conversing with a group. Is that true?

Dont do grey quests they wont give any exp and the rewards will be outdated.

As for social points grouping with others and questing will give them, but most social points you get from doing Flashpoints (especially Black Talon as an imp or Esseles as a rep).

Flashpoints and PvP are great ways of getting exp to level faster, if you don't like that then just sticking to clearing all the planetary quests you can should do ok.

Rather than post a new thread to talk about Social Points; I'll just talk about it in this thread to save on forum clutter.

Either gaining social XP goes horridly slow, or I'm seriously not doing something right.

On the Sith side I ran the Heroic 4 level 15 mission arc with my level 15 Sith Warrior. The other three people in the team were level 17's. There was a LOT of death involved (especially against the last female Sith boss). In total, we took about three hours to finish this and I gain a whopping 14 social xp. Considering the difficulty, the money spent on health packs, and the repairs along with the non-existent social xp; I have no intention of wasting time to run another Heroic 4 mission arc. The drops and the monetary payoff in this mission arc just wasn't worth it by any stretch of the imagination.

On the flip side of that, my Jedi Guardian (level 16) has ran the Esseles (spelling?) Flashpoint twice. Two runs of that has me up to around 120 total social xp.

Seems to me like the game developers expect you to constantly play in a team to level this up in a game that is mostly a single-player game. Are we supposed to grind Flashpoints and Heroics to even have a chance of leveling social xp? Or am I just missing something or doing something terribly, terribly wrong?

As for social points grouping with others and questing will give them, but most social points you get from doing Flashpoints (especially Black Talon as an imp or Esseles as a rep).

2-men run BT/Esseles gives something about 70-90 social points

3-men run gives about 110-120 social points

4-men run gives about 140 social points

so you need at least 6-8 runs to social level 2 and to get an access for Nar Shadaa's and Balmora's tier2 social gear

I'm trying to be patient with learning this game as the flash points with a group tend to be so fast and chaotic, I don't hardly know what's going on. In spite of that, will take your advice and grind out the flash points in a waiting que. That's the only way I can group as being a rather older gentleman, people in my age group don't normally play games like these, so I have no friends that play. They're all doing shuffle board, dominos, canasta, sorting their socks or something like that :D

just let them know before FP starts you are there 1st time and woudl like to see the content and not be pushed to spacebar everything. If you happen to group with those who run that FP for zillionth time, they tend to skip the cinematics and only aim to finish main objective.

you can also ask for help on heroics in general chat and look for a guild!

You'd be surprised at how many "older" people play this game

Here is a nice thread filled with 900 hundred years old people :csw_yoda:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=194387

The social points are not necessary to complete your class story, they're just bonuses to reward people who group with others with cosmetic gear.

Edited by Oggthebase

I'm having trouble on my first try at leveling a character. When I go to a new world, I am finishing the missions sans the Heroic 4 missions. This is due to not being able (in a timely manner) to find a group to complete them with. When I level up, eventually the older Heroic 4 missions become gray. Should I go ahead and complete them anyway, or is it okay to abort or drop the mission? How do I gain Social Points? I read somewhere that the points can be gained just by conversing with a group. Is that true?

Heroics... Do them if you're bored and want to, don't do them if you don't want to. By the time they are grey the only real reasons to complete them would be side story, the potential for a new piece of orange gear, or a quick fix of planetary comms for whatever reason. I feel your pain on trying to get a group for them though. I personally try to wrap up all heroics when I'm done with a planet. Anything I get groups for that play session, yay, anything I don't, gets aborted and I move on.

Social XP... As someone else mentioned, group up for flashpoints. Especially the previously mentioned Black Talon and Esseles. Hang around fleet and advertise LFG Esseles/Black Talon Social Run, or look for something similar. This lets people know you are looking to do it for social points, most people will spacebar through conversations, saving quite a bit of time, and it tends to attract higher level players who can burn through the enemies quickly. I try to do at least 2 or 3 social runs through BT or Esseles every day or so. The social points really add up quickly as long as it's a spacebar social run and you don't have to deal with waiting for some **** who wants to listen to the same dialog for the Nth time.

Side Note: Social runs through BT/Esseles are also a great way to grind LS/DS points, since both of those flashpoints have a couple choices netting a decent amount for minimal effort.

Social XP... As someone else mentioned, group up for flashpoints. Especially the previously mentioned Black Talon and Esseles. Hang around fleet and advertise LFG Esseles/Black Talon Social Run, or look for something similar. This lets people know you are looking to do it for social points, most people will spacebar through conversations, saving quite a bit of time, and it tends to attract higher level players who can burn through the enemies quickly. I try to do at least 2 or 3 social runs through BT or Esseles every day or so. The social points really add up quickly as long as it's a spacebar social run and you don't have to deal with waiting for some **** who wants to listen to the same dialog for the Nth time.

Side Note: Social runs through BT/Esseles are also a great way to grind LS/DS points, since both of those flashpoints have a couple choices netting a decent amount for minimal effort.

At this point in the game I am at level 39 and having no trouble at all staying level just by completing the main mission quests. Being new to the game, just didn't know if missing some of the quests was something I will regret later on as a level 50 player. I read somewhere that social points play a big role later as level 50. Is that true?

Maybe I'll start another character from scratch as part of the legacy deal. This way I can take advantage of what I've learned the first time around.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Social points are just cosmetic, don't worry too much about them while levelling. When you get to end game you start earning them at a much faster rate as you'll need to group up to keep things interesting and complete content.

You should however, be considering doing a flashpoint on most days as you'll get xp and credits from the daily mission at fleet as well as the chance to drop gear - and learn your role better.

On HC4s, if you play prime time for your location it should mostly not be an issue, just don't either sit and wait for a group or leave them until you've completed solos, i.e. when you pick one up, start asking for a group then still go off doing your questing.

At this point in the game I am at level 39 and having no trouble at all staying level just by completing the main mission quests. Being new to the game, just didn't know if missing some of the quests was something I will regret later on as a level 50 player. I read somewhere that social points play a big role later as level 50. Is that true?

Maybe I'll start another character from scratch as part of the legacy deal. This way I can take advantage of what I've learned the first time around.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

You won't miss much not doing the heroics. Just side story most people skip through, and quest rewards that aren't usually anything awesome. End game this is a different story, and Daily Comms are an integral part of early end game gearing. So you'll want to do the daily heroics at level 50 for the comms.

I don't know who said social points play a big role end game. They play no role except a few social unlocks, emotes and whatnot, and the ability to equip the various social gear from the social vendors on each planet. This gear is all themed, and each set/planet will require different social levels to equip. It's all basically just empty shell, no set bonus, orange container gear... if you find a set you really like, work towards that social level, and make sure to keep up with all the mods for it.

I have a different take on some of the issues.

Heroics : It might be an OC issue with me, but I like to do every quest on every planet. So one reason is because I want to do them all. Next : the drops might not be insignificant. Just yesterday I found a heroic in Tatooine that gives me purple armoring of a better level than mine. So why not repeat it a few times and update my armoring level on my orange gear? Plus the commendations can be used for mods or equipment, and most heroics give you 3 comms. The rewards can be of value. Even if they turn grey, I send some of the items that drop (not bound) to my other toons at the right level, or sell them at vendors for credits. Do you HAVE to do them? No. Can they be useful, yes!

Social points : after 7 toon, 4 of them L50, the only reason to level social points I have found was to purchase the sexy outfit for vette. Other than that... blah. You don't get many on quests because they are based on the conversation choices. The FPs have more conversation, thus produce more soc points. But besides that beginner quest for a social token or buying the social armor at cantina vendors, they have little use.

Lately I got into raising affection on my comps to 10K. You can get 450 affection points for some comps from Black Talon/Essless runs. Note that if you go with somebody else you only get affection on the conversations where you win the roll (??) . But it is another reason to rerun FPs or even solo them.

AND, I also don't like to rush through FPs. So if you want to do a paced walk through one, let me know. I have Rep and Imp toons and I am always glad to help. :)

I'm trying to be patient with learning this game as the flash points with a group tend to be so fast and chaotic, I don't hardly know what's going on. In spite of that, will take your advice and grind out the flash points in a waiting que. That's the only way I can group as being a rather older gentleman, people in my age group don't normally play games like these, so I have no friends that play. They're all doing shuffle board, dominos, canasta, sorting their socks or something like that :D

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if this is your in-game name or what server you're on but if you or someone else reading this is in the same position wants to hook up, I'm on Harbinger Name: Amarrax. I never liked dominoes either. :D

Social points are just cosmetic

the only reason i run for social points is that i like very much how my alts are looking in Dancer outfit from Nar Shadaa :-)

otherwise they are useless

at old times social armor was almost the only way to get a full orange modable set just at the very beginning

now it changes...

A couple of points from my perspective....

Heroic 4s are hit and miss. Some are fast and easy and return good XP and rewards while others can be slogs that reward nothing of any significance without contributing anything to the story.

My advice would be that unless you have a really solid group or know the Heroic, just skip any Heroic 4s (or tab out and look them up first). They really need to add more details to the mission itself such as listing all the objectives, the XP awarded for each objective, and the overall rewards.

Social points sounded good on paper but were poorly executed. Unless you constantly group up to do all your quests, you will end up having to grind social points by running something like BT over and over.

Even doing all the group content such as planet Heroics and Flashpoints while leveling will leave you far behind the Social level required to buy things from the various planets.

The only good thing is that all of this is superfluous, however, it really seems short sighted that only one Flashpoint provides any meaningful Social XP with many Flashpoints and Heroics (true group content) returning less Social XP than a basic solo quest done while grouped.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if this is your in-game name or what server you're on but if you or someone else reading this is in the same position wants to hook up, I'm on Harbinger Name: Amarrax. I never liked dominoes either. :D

Plenty of "old" (I don't feel old as a 42 year old, but I keep being told I am...) players around and I've managed to find a couple of PUGs stating I want to go slow to enjoy the view. Kinda makes me think all those people that want to take their time don't bother with FPs because they think they are the only ones.

Just ask nicely in general, honesty works pretty well. I find myself much more inclined to help someone out if they are asking for a "scenic" FP group instead of a Speed Run.

Plenty of "old" (I don't feel old as a 42 year old, but I keep being told I am...) players around and I've managed to find a couple of PUGs stating I want to go slow to enjoy the view. Kinda makes me think all those people that want to take their time don't bother with FPs because they think they are the only ones.

Just ask nicely in general, honesty works pretty well. I find myself much more inclined to help someone out if they are asking for a "scenic" FP group instead of a Speed Run.

Sounds good. I actually met a decent fella yesterday and he helped me out, adding much fun to the already great game. It was nice to find someone older than me -- ha ha -- though really I'm not hung up on age. Stupidity doesn't have an age barrier, neither does civility. Overall, I'm rather impressed with the community compared to the nastiness spewed daily in my last MMO, one that has a large "adult" population.

Edited by ProtocolX

Sounds good. I actually met a decent fella yesterday and he helped me out, adding much fun to the already great game. It was nice to find someone older than me -- ha ha -- though really I'm not hung up on age. Stupidity doesn't have an age barrier, neither does civility. Overall, I'm rather impressed with the community compared to the nastiness spewed daily in my last MMO, one that has a large "adult" population.

The various heroic missions I have played so far have gone well. About the only annoyance I've run into is people who run off before checking to see if everyone else is ready via the group chat. Though it did help me learn healing with my scoundrel a bit better.

:)

With the advent of the large crowds on F2P, a couple of things to consider :

- Watch planet population. When a planet is about 30 people, it is hard to get a team going, at 50+ it starts getting easier. Right now the lower level planets are very very crowded, so lots of groups going on, but once you get pass the L30 zone they aren't as much, and it becomes a bit harder to group.

- The social point run (farm) is what makes those BT/Essless runs such a pain. Try to stay off one of those. I "walk" BT/Essless regularly for affection points and social points. It is mostly L50s so I can blow anything away, but company is always welcome.

Lets not start naming ages here (52!) :p

I am the worst nightmare for many "ubber" players, I am a "clicker". I activate my skills with my mouse. Apparently that makes me slow. Good enough to have my HK robots and have done hard mode FPs, but apparently they don't consider that "good". Who cares. I enjoy the game my way. So should you. :D

With the advent of the large crowds on F2P, a couple of things to consider :

- Watch planet population. When a planet is about 30 people, it is hard to get a team going, at 50+ it starts getting easier. Right now the lower level planets are very very crowded, so lots of groups going on, but once you get pass the L30 zone they aren't as much, and it becomes a bit harder to group.

- The social point run (farm) is what makes those BT/Essless runs such a pain. Try to stay off one of those. I "walk" BT/Essless regularly for affection points and social points. It is mostly L50s so I can blow anything away, but company is always welcome.

Lets not start naming ages here (52!) :p

I am the worst nightmare for many "ubber" players, I am a "clicker". I activate my skills with my mouse. Apparently that makes me slow. Good enough to have my HK robots and have done hard mode FPs, but apparently they don't consider that "good". Who cares. I enjoy the game my way. So should you. :D

Rock On! Mouse Clickers FTW! :D

Seriously, I've tried it both ways and the mouse+WASD is faster to me, but maybe it's because I've use it so darn long.

I guess I'm a hybrid. I use number keys 1-4 mostly, but not the others. Not as reachable as the ones above WASD. I tend to use those 4 keys for my main attacks and I found that when I'm healing, I'm not really moving around that much so I can use the mouse for those. On some of my other characters, I found some abilities aren't used that much, so I can trigger them w/the mouse and save 1-4 for most often used abilities.

Though I'm not getting a fancy mouse w/multiple buttons I can map hotkeys to. :confused:

Am I doing something wrong? I'm a level 47 who does 2-3 FP's via group finder a day. I get about 4-5 social points per run and I am still on Social Level 1.

No. It takes a lot of SP to get to Social 2. (750 I believe.) The high level FPs don't have as many social points as the low-level ones. (I'm pretty sure there are some without any SP, other than getting the quest and turning it in, which not everyone does.) Since you are using the group finder, you're going to be put in FP of your level - the ones that don't have SP.