HK-51 gear package

MouseNoFour

So with the horrendous implementation of the HK-51 companion... with gear that is level 50 regardless of your character's/companions level... they offer up a mailed package that contains gear for it. Not only do you only get ONE package per legacy (i checked all 12 of my characters) but you cannot mail that BIND ON LEGACY package nor can you mail the items inside because they are BOP.

Why do you need more then one package? HK comes with full 50 gear, the package is for those that had him come naked as part of a glitch thus the package to fix that. If you had a full HK enjoy the free $. If you unlocked him on another comp he comes with full 50 gear, he will never have lower gear so how does getting more level 50 packs help that?

Why do you need more then one package? HK comes with full 50 gear, the package is for those that had him come naked as part of a glitch thus the package to fix that. If you had a full HK enjoy the free $. If you unlocked him on another comp he comes with full 50 gear, he will never have lower gear so how does getting more level 50 packs help that?

The problem with that 'full 50 gear' is on lower level toons (I have him on my 17 BH since he was lvl 6) is that the stats don't translate over and he sits with minimal stats and abilities that barely level up with him at each level. I used HK's skill assassinate a number of times on my BH and.. it doesn't work. Just agro's the mob. It does however work on my 50 Commando.

So the real problem is, HK has a full bar of skills at low levels, uses them, yet many do no damage, taking up time and reducing his damage output to negligible levels that your first companion actually exceeds easily. I am sure as you level up his skill use and damage output increases, but the fact that they currently do NOT scale is kinda a pita and makes having him at lower levels almost worthless.

Edited by Saitada

The problem with that 'full 50 gear' is on lower level toons (I have him on my 17 BH since he was lvl 6) is that the stats don't translate over and he sits with minimal stats and abilities that barely level up with him at each level. I used HK's skill assassinate a number of times on my BH and.. it doesn't work. Just agro's the mob. It does however work on my 50 Commando.

So the real problem is, HK has a full bar of skills at low levels, uses them, yet many do no damage, taking up time and reducing his damage output to negligible levels that your first companion actually exceeds easily. I am sure as you level up his skill use and damage output increases, but the fact that they currently do NOT scale is kinda a pita and makes having him at lower levels almost worthless.

I understand all that and its a problem they said they were gonna work on by giving him scaling gear.

OP seemed to be complaining that they only got one extra set of level 50 gear and they couldn't transfer it which is pointless

Nods. I'll be happy when he gets scaling skills and gear. As it stands now, I have a big red flashy "requirements not met" for every single piece of his gear and no stat bumps from any of it. His skills, basically useless except for the few that operate at lower levels.

He should have skill acquisitions like any other companion, as you level up. Not start with everything at once, with most not working at all.

His gear... not sure how they would do that, because if you trade out a piece you mess the bunch up. They might simply have to make the gear frozen but scaling (un modable/un removable) until 50 at which point you can start modding them to improve his stats. Hard to say on that one.

Well if you know there are items that do no damge on his bar, then turn them off, as it will only use abilities that are turned on. I do this regularly as the Comapanions are a little dumb with AOEs and NPCs CCed.

That is true, and his insta-kill starts off thankfully.

I do agree with OP in how poorly handled HK was. Costing 1,000,000 creds PER CHARACTER to unlock just to have a comp that starts with no gear and isn't appreciably better then any other tank or dps comp until late game and has next to no dialogue or character through 99% of the game is just dumb

That is true, and his insta-kill starts off thankfully.

I do agree with OP in how poorly handled HK was. Costing 1,000,000 creds PER CHARACTER to unlock just to have a comp that starts with no gear and isn't appreciably better then any other tank or dps comp until late game and has next to no dialogue or character through 99% of the game is just dumb

The quality of the updates have really taken a nosedive. I know BW is working with much less staff, but if your featured content for a patch isn't working, it's really poor form to release it as is. At least have HK work properly, it's the name of the patch.

The quest for getting him was bugged and known to be, based on PTS responses, as noted above his gear doesn't scale correctly, and his skills don't either. He came NAKED for some. What gives?!

The overall quality of SWTOR since the layoffs occurred is really disappointing. The last two major patches have been terrible compared to 1.2, which had a ton of new content released with it, or 1.3, which introduced a no doubt complicated-to-implement group finder.

I'm sticking with the game for now, as I still enjoy it enough, but I'm concerned F2P will only continue this trend, not turn it around.

Section X feels and looks cheap compared to the Black Hole, or other areas on Belsavis, and some quests don't work properly. I don't recall this being the case when the Black Hole was released.

I was hoping Makeb would be introduced soon, but, with the team that's currently in place, it's better to wait a LONG time to bring it up to standards seen in the leveling portion of the game.

The Millenium Falcon was charming and funny as a complex entity being held together with duct tape. SWTOR is not.

Edited by arunav

I take it nobody else has unlocked this companion?

Since you need to do a HARDMODE Flashpoint, probably not.

WHAT in Gods name were they thinking of!??

HK-51 should have been a great questline for every player to experiance, yet they have gated it so that only a few will be able to complete it.

Take off HK-51s gear and save it in your cargo hold for when you reach 50, reequip him with level-appropriate looted or crafted gear. All of his skills work fine when his gear is within level requirement, including assassinate.

This^... why is it people are having such a hard time comprehending this?

Yes he comes in lvl 50 gear, he was meant as an endgame companion. You can do exactly as this person has commented, I did and HK works fantastically!!!

HK-51 should have been a great questline for every player to experiance, yet they have gated it so that only a few will be able to complete it.

That's exactly how it SHOULD be. I don't want everyone in the game running around with everything, how stupid would that be? In order to get rare things you should have to accomplish stuff and put some effort into getting them. "Rare" items are already too easy to obtain as it is, they should make things MORE difficult and/or rare.

But, as has been proven, if QQ'ers QQ enough here, it will be done, and that is tragic.

It's bad enough that Dulfy tells us how to get stuff before the updates even go live cuz of the PTS. There's almost no personal victories in this game, or any nowadays really, cuz you just go read how to do it and do it, and now people like you want that AND things given to you? Come on.

Edited by PetFish

This^... why is it people are having such a hard time comprehending this?

Yes he comes in lvl 50 gear, he was meant as an endgame companion. You can do exactly as this person has commented, I did and HK works fantastically!!!

My problem isn't so much that, though it does suck being stuck with Cybertech just to gear him, its that it costs 1,000,000 creds per character to use him. He is NOT worth that much. He is not nearly that much stronger then any other comp, and he offers very little else in the way of dialogue

Take off HK-51s gear and save it in your cargo hold for when you reach 50, reequip him with level-appropriate looted or crafted gear. All of his skills work fine when his gear is within level requirement, including assassinate.

We all know how to equip companions and use their abilities. That isn't the point some are making in this thread.

The point is he is the feature of the last patch, and can be unlocked with real world currency or 1 million credits for leveling alts, and this function does not work fluidly as it should. If EA is charging for the unlock in its shop, the content, in this case HK, should function correctly when paid for.

In addition, many folks had a buggy experience acquiring him. This, in my experience, was due to grouping while picking up some of his parts, particularly in the two flashpoints.

In short: the current BW team has been pushing out content that is sub-par compared to what it did earlier in the game's lifespan. HK is one example, though minor compared to what we witnessed with 1.4's release. This is disappointing to some supporters of SWTOR, and hopefully not indicative of the approach that we will see going forward.

Hoping 1.6 launches smoothly, and looking forward to the new warzone. It wold also be nice if companion match-to-chest is fixed and the preview screens work for all companions as well. The latter has been broken for some time now and is frustrating when purchasing gear.

Edited by arunav

My problem isn't so much that, though it does suck being stuck with Cybertech just to gear him, its that it costs 1,000,000 creds per character to use him. He is NOT worth that much. He is not nearly that much stronger then any other comp, and he offers very little else in the way of dialogue

HK does have more combat lines in Section X, if you've used him there, than in other places in the game. So, perhaps going forward, he will be like the other companions and a little more vocal.

I am still waiting for him to call whoever I attack a meatbag. :D

Everyone should have a cybertech alt anyway. Grenades, Armorings, mods, Ship-parts, Droid-parts.. there's nothing that isn't useful to every other character you will make.

It's HM Foundry, which is pathetically easy for any level 50 character to complete. It's not like its a HM Op that you have to run. It's a HM Flashpoint in which 70% of the trash packs are skippable.

Anyone that can't get their HK droid due to not being able to complete HM Foundry really doesn't deserve HK.

I unlocked him, I used him, meh. I bought him for a low level toon, meh. Now he just does crafting/resource gathering missions due to his crit chance. Was it worth 1M credits? Not for me. Ah well. I might use him again in combat when I hit 50. Will I go through the quest to get him on my other toons? Yup, loved that part.

I thought the whole point of a LEGACY companion was to have him usable on your entire legacy. IMO he should be able to use his 51 gear and all his abilities and not be nerfed by your lvl. Your 50 unlocked him and now he is part of your "family". Would this make leveling alts super easy, yup. If I have put the time in to unlock him, build up credits to pay the 1M credits or appropriate CC then things should be a little easier.

Everyone should have a cybertech alt anyway. Grenades, Armorings, mods, Ship-parts, Droid-parts.. there's nothing that isn't useful to every other character you will make.

Agreed, but the question remains is HK worth 1,000,000 creds per alt? No he isn't. The cyberteching is just extra work (not a big deal, but maybe for newer 50's who dont have crafting alts yet), and an unnecessary inconvenience. Just have all story quest rewards give droid parts. If you have HK you can use them to gear him, if not take the Mako item or the Khem item or w/e (or gear your ship droid if your bored) or take the coms instead/

Well... OP, I guess it depends on how you use him. I have not chosen to unlock him for lower toons; mainly, because I want to quest and max affection on other companions. But for my 50s, I have run the HK quest for each. You don't need to pay to unlock him. And so... OP, the gear is no issue at all for me. In fact, it was a bit of a boon; free creds.

My experience with HK-51 as originally geared has been fantastic. As a tank, there is no better companion for dailies. Section X is a breeze and a pleasure with no heals necessary. He does great dps, has good stuns, and is great when I taunt a group.

But... I couldn't leave it at that. I replaced his mods and enhancements with cunning columi and... wow! Lol! I hate to group and lose him.

My advice? Don't use him on a lowbie. Unlock him the hardway for your 50s. And... use all of his abilities, including assassinate. He is the best fighting companion by far.

Edited by Rafaman

I like the other folks in this thread unlocked him on my low level alt and replaced his Level 50 gear with appropriate level gear and man it has made leveling up another toon fun and easy. I am also doing Cybertech as I go and have no issues keeping himself and myself up to date on Armor / Mod gear.

He has on many occasions 1 shot silvers with his Assassinate ability. IMHO don't see how anyone think he is useless at low levels.

To each their own I guess

I totally agree with you.

Unless you are a hardcore gamer or unemployed, a casual has little to no shot at every aquiring this companion.

The mindless searching for droid parts that respawn in random locations set alarm bells ringing for me.

I did try it over 2 days with 4-5 hours of searching and managed to get the first part that can be purchased from the pvp vendor and found another from the locations from the internet. The ones in the republic and empire Jedi ruins were terrible. With a group of 3 players canvasing the area grid searching, nothing turned up after 2 hours ( 4 hours total in both places )....

We were later told that the parts respawn can actually bug out and can not be found until server resets.

I canceled my subscription.

The mission to get this droid is the biggest crock of **** I have come across since the old school " How to become a Jedi in 6 years of real time" in the old star wars online game.

EA can kiss my arse, they turned my fun time in SWTOR into frustration and hating the game. Good luck with it.

To all those that already have the HK51 droid, good for you, you obviously have more time to waste than I do.

Quest for HK was fun, unique and bugless for me.

He came with the appropriate gear. I was emailed another set oddly enough, and just sold that for money. Hear that had something to do with a bug they were trying to fix.

Quite frankly, the game needs more quests similar to the HK quest and the character is definitely worth the time.

- Arcada

I totally agree with you.

Unless you are a hardcore gamer or unemployed, a casual has little to no shot at every aquiring this companion.

You can't be serious.

Foundry/Maelstrom HM is incredibly simple--Easier than the Story mode at level 37 for sure--suffice to say that the chances of the other three people in your random group being full Columi to Campaign Geared is rather high.

The locations of the parts are all mapped out. It's just the matter of waiting.

It's not that you can't do it, it's that you don't want to, and you'd rather blame the system for your own faults.