tired of getting yelled at for healing

CarbieChronicles

i have NEVER played a healing class before ever and this is my first attempt, but no matter what happens i always fail. i am about sick to death of moronic dbags verbally abusing me and trashing me because i dont keep their health bars maxed out. what is the use of playing when all i ever see is negativity in this game? i cant even find a decent guild that has actual mature people in it...what a waste....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the world of MMO healing. Anything that goes wrong is your fault, anything that goes right is all because of the l337 deeps and tank. :p

More seriously though, what do you mean you always fail? Are people just complaining that you don't keep them topped up at all times, or are your groups actually wiping regularly? Can't really give much feedback without knowing what's happening.

i mean we always die fast, period

Are you pulling too much? Under level for the content? Is your tank (depending on level) not holding aggro well enough? What are you doing as the healer? I mean if this is just a gripe thread fair enough, but if you want advice you'll need to provide details.

If your under about lvl 25-ish and getting yelled at by dumb dps that thinks they are all that to the group and jump in before the tank, then don't worry about it.

The Majority of lowbie dps is dps'ers trying to show off whatever little epeen they possess. Also, make sure you check your tank for gear/shield.

DPS'ers often queue as tanks because they are lazy/impatient, then blame it on others. If the tank is dying super super fast, then THAT is the reason for it.

I don't see a problem with being yelled at; stop healing them entirely and they'll shut up.

Then you lose too and you'll be kicked, this logic doesn't work because anyone can be kicked/leave. Bad mind set to have, I wouldn't suggest being petty like the ones yelling at you. Be the better man/woman and just tell them to shut up or simply leave the group.

when we start to attack of elites in a group, i always give the tank a bubble to help reduce the damage, then i apply bubbles to the rest of the team. i also cc one mob so it can also reduce the amount of damage coming in as well. i notice every time i get a mob on me and i end up not healing because i am fighting for my life, i am always left alone by the dps and tank. so that is why i get yelled at, not for being a poor healer, but for the other 3 members in the party, in my opinion are not doing their jobs.

Frankly, not enough tanks in ToR know how to guard and taunt for their healers, so we often spend too much time healing our selves when we could be healing others. I regularly ask for a tank guard when queuing up for a PUG warzone or OPs mission, maybe 20% of the time I find someone who even responds. One time I had a tank say... "I throw you a guard when you need it", which is usually too late.

Totally different story when I roll with friends or organized guilds. In those situations the healing experience is a joy and in many warzones you feel immortal.

Perhaps my biggest complaint as a healer, are those players who will not heal themselves between engagements. They are too lazy to push a button, yet expect the healer to hustle to get them back to full health. Many of these types also seem to have a love of rushing ahead of the group to take on even more damage and expect the healer to save their butts.

Unfortunately, i think it's all reflected in group chat lately, and the usual lack of respect between players, which carries over into how they play their roles in the game.

Edited by ShadowAxx

I don't see a problem with being yelled at; stop healing them entirely and they'll shut up.

Lol, I actually agree. I make mistakes and I'll own up to them when I do but I'm not putting up with ******ery. If dps are being d-bags, I just won't heal them. If it's the tank I'll leave the group. I play to have fun and I'm unwilling to let others ruin that fun.

I regularly ask for a tank guard when queuing up for a PUG warzone or OPs mission, maybe 20% of the time I find someone who even responds.

Outside of a handful of specific circumstances, you should not be asking for guard in Ops. Warzones are another matter, obviously.

when we start to attack of elites in a group, i always give the tank a bubble to help reduce the damage, then i apply bubbles to the rest of the team. i also cc one mob so it can also reduce the amount of damage coming in as well. i notice every time i get a mob on me and i end up not healing because i am fighting for my life, i am always left alone by the dps and tank. so that is why i get yelled at, not for being a poor healer, but for the other 3 members in the party, in my opinion are not doing their jobs.

Any body who doesn't protect and respect their healer, doesn't deserve one. Pop the idiots on your ignore list and find another group or, better yet, a guild.

Oddly enough, a similar thread from a couple of days ago was started regarding not using Interrupts. The following is something I noticed while Tanking, Healing and DPS'ing a few HM's on Friday and Saturday, all pugs. This is a quick list of common mistakes that some make while grouping.

1 - The Tank doesn't taunt

2 - The Tank shields the Healer (rarely, is this necessary, almost always it should be on your highest dps threat)

3 - The Tank rushes ahead, not paying attention to the rest of the group

4 - The DPS'ers won't kill the adds, and go for the boss, often leaving the Healer struggling to keep themselves alive

5 - The DPS'er has his 'Tank Stance' on, (or) insists on taunting the boss, making up for some sort of shortcoming on their part

6 - DPS'ers rush into the fight before the Tank

7 - Healers won't cleanse

8 - Crowd Control breakers

9 - People won't interrupt

Numbers two and four I see nearly every time I run a pug, it's astounding really. If you notice any of those occurring, you'll have your answer. There's probably more I'm neglecting, but those quickly come to mind.

Edited by Pirana

5 - The DPS'er has his 'Tank Stance' on, (or) insists on taunting the boss, making up for some sort of shortcoming on their part

related to this is tanks not using their tank stance, often a result of impatient dps queueing as tank so they can get a group quiicker.

that's a pretty comprehensive list of the most frequent problems, and ultimately i think rather than it being a purely pug issue it's just one of players not knowing what their role is and how they're supposed to be playing to fill that role. understandable while levelling and still learning your role but at level 50 those sort of issues should have been ironed out of your playing, i've been part of some very efficient groups that have said hi and that's it until thanking each other for a good run because everyone knows what they should be doing and actually do it.

A little patience is needed. Since I'm a newish player there also has to be a learning curve. I let groups know I am new and have never done xx FP before. Since I play a shadow tank most times I just stay in tank stance even when I'm not the tank. I do mess up, like being discovered while stealthing in to place CC but only once as next time I made sure I used blackout too. I'll queue in as a dps my first time through a FP since I don't know what's going on. Most of the time when a tank attacks a wait a sec or 2 before I run in to see if something comes out of a wall or something. I don't see this as wrong but I may be wrong, and as an off tank I always guard healer and keep an eye on them. Edited by RaineyDaze

i have NEVER played a healing class before ever and this is my first attempt, but no matter what happens i always fail. i am about sick to death of moronic dbags verbally abusing me and trashing me because i dont keep their health bars maxed out. what is the use of playing when all i ever see is negativity in this game? i cant even find a decent guild that has actual mature people in it...what a waste....

I wouldn't worry about it man. People are going to be quick to blame their faults on others. I would recommend creating a new chat tab and set it to whispers, guild, and etc. With this make sure you're always reading the map and be ready to peel when needed.

Just keep your head up and keep working at getting better.

and ultimately i think rather than it being a purely pug issue it's just one of players not knowing what their role is and how they're supposed to be playing to fill that role. understandable while levelling and still learning your role but at level 50 those sort of issues should have been ironed out of your playing

Absolutely. I brought up the pug only because it was something I had recently experienced, but by no means is it only a pick up group issue. As you mentioned, often it's people not understanding their roles. Hopefully some will read those bullet points and take something from them.

To the op, as Murkin mentioned, keep your head up and keep chugging along.

I've been healing in MMOs for a long time, and there are always "those" people. I've patiently dealt with some really horrible players, only to be kicked in the end because they didn't understand what they were doing wrong and of course, blamed the healer. In all honesty though, it's not usually that bad. The majority of instances don't have that many douchey people in them. A lot of times the healer is that person too, berating everyone else.

If you find yourself constantly struggling as a healer, I would find someone, or some guides to help you figure out if there are better ways to go about healing, and gearing for healing, and also get a little better knowledge about what the tanks and dps should be doing in there. Instances are tough when it's the blind leading the blind. If you know you're doing your best and doing it right, help the rest of the group do their job better as well. (I know sometimes they don't listen, though).

really. why is that?

In Ops, healers are going to be dealing the least amount of threat, and most likely taking the least amount of damage, in most circumstances. We almost always guard the highest dps, especially the melee. Even with threat drops being used (and not all dps have them), a dps pulling threat can really screw things up, and we don't really want them holding back either when there are enrage timers.

Edited by chuixupu

Well, I just started another consular, a seer healer this time - and I've never played a healer before. My primary character is an infiltration shadow, my other fifties are marksmanship sniper, a combat sentinel and I got a pyrotech powertech on level 41 - all damage dealers. It my first healer as well, solely acting based on what I know I expect of healers. I've just reached level 22 with this char but I enjoying that I don't have to wait so long for flashpoints very much. I can't say I share the experience so far though.

I've even got compliments on a heroic 4 in a group with one player who didn't seem to speak English, always attacked the ones I was ccing (I think he thought he was supposed to do just that) and caused unnecessary additional aggro in the final boss fight. It was one hell of a struggle to try and keep every one alive, not waste a single point of Force but always heal when necessary... but in the end I it and it felt good that others appreciated my performance as well.

It's not that I didn't make any mistakes at all and there have been wipes on my account (well, at least one with the final boss in Hammer Station when I died out of own stupidity), but I never had the feeling my team was unappreciative. There is a lot of clueless people around these days, a lot people who don't know anything about triad team combat in general, and the powers and effects in SW:TOR in particular - but I am not generally blamed for problems...

I've been tanking this game since launch and am pretty decent. We clear all end game content.

From what I've seen....(and in my PERSONAL opinion).... Unless it's something blatant, like being grossly under geared, or just plain standing in stupid.... It's almost never the healer's fault. I am willing to say 60-70% of the time its the tanks fault. DPS... I'm gonna stick y'all with 25-35%, and put that last 10-15 on the healer. As a tank, I'm very critical of myself and others. A very considerable portion of what gets blamed on others, a good tank can remedy and SHOULD never allow to happen in the first place.

To the OP.... You need to find yourself a decent guild or group of regulars to run with. That will solve the majority of your problems. However..... The ownus is still on you to do YOUR part by always researching, learning, and mastering YOUR skills as well.

Oddly enough, a similar thread from a couple of days ago was started regarding not using Interrupts. The following is something I noticed while Tanking, Healing and DPS'ing a few HM's on Friday and Saturday, all pugs. This is a quick list of common mistakes that some make while grouping.

1 - The Tank doesn't taunt

2 - The Tank shields the Healer (rarely, is this necessary, almost always it should be on your highest dps threat)

3 - The Tank rushes ahead, not paying attention to the rest of the group

4 - The DPS'ers won't kill the adds, and go for the boss, often leaving the Healer struggling to keep themselves alive

6 - DPS'ers rush into the fight before the Tank

7 - Healers won't cleanse

8 - Crowd Control breakers

9 - People won't interrupt

Numbers two and four I see nearly every time I run a pug, it's astounding really. If you notice any of those occurring, you'll have your answer. There's probably more I'm neglecting, but those quickly come to mind.

10 - People do not follow the tank's path and end up aggroing needlessly

11 - People presume the tank will aggro a mob and end up aggroing needlessly

12 - People do not pay attention to their positioning and end up aggroing needlessly

13 - People do not pay attention and end up breaking Shadow Tank's soft CC

14 - People aggroing needlessly cause over-aggro and a subsequent wipe

15 - People are not smart enough to out from under the droid boss in Maelstrom Prison

16 - People still use their leap ability on the ledge in Esseles and fall through it

I am guilty of #3, but only the rushing ahead part. I pay attention to what the people are doing, but I'm not about to wait for everyone to signal me they're ready to continue in order to move on. If someone decides to go AFK without announcing it, they better do it somewhere they won't aggro a patrol.

When I'm playing dps, the thing I hate the most is a slow tank. Some tanks wait a few seconds after a group has been killed to start moving again. Then they stand a few seconds in front of the next group before they aggro. It drives me insane. Those constant, needless delays. I start moving when the last mob in the group is about to die and I throw my lightsaber at it in the process. If the tank is especially slow and wastes time to pick up drops (which is a healer's job), I'll jump into the mob, pop my defensive cooldowns and take half of them out by the time the lazypants tank decides to join.

When I'm on my main, Shadow tank, I'll run ahead using rocket boosters and Force Speed. In most of the situations I end up using my soft CC in peace and aggroing the rest of the mob. Other times I wait for patrols to pass me by or get to a position in which the team can slip by them. That is, if the follow me. In those rare occassions a dps manages to aggro something before me they've usually aggroed a mob that is skippable. I leave them to deal with it and proceed to aggro the mob that should be aggroed. if they start a discussion in party chat, I just repeat the „please follow the tank“ from the start of the flashpoint. Smarter ones figure out I'm saying that in the best interests of the group. Dumber ones repeat it and get killed again. L33t ones call me a f***t and leave. Each result is a good one from my perspective.

" if you need me to slow down, say something... Other wise, please keep up"

Yeah.... I'm the same way. But the key point you make about #3 is that you don't do it blindly.

I speed pull, etc., but I don't grab up anything I can't handle.... Either myself or at least long enough for the pokey puppies to catch up. I'm definitely not gonna cause a wipe.

I love being a newer healers first power tank. They freak out at first, but by the end of the run, they are having a field day.