asus tuf gaming laptop ryzen 5 over heats

sabertoothjoe

I'd suggest turning your graphics settings down a bit. SWTOR is very CPU heavy, which generates lots of heat. If you add too much heat from the GPU (whether it's integrated in the Ryzen 5 or discrete), you can run into problems -especially with a laptop.

By that, l mean, turn down some of the fancy things like Shadows, grass detail, etc. The eye candy, basically.

Edited by JediQuaker

Make sure you have adequate ventilation. I've seen posts from people who wondered why their laptop was overheating, and it turned out they were playing on their bed, and the thing was sinking into the blankets, so all the air vents were blocked.

At the very least, always put it on a hard surface. Maybe put it on a laptop tray or cooler to provide additional airflow. (I use a simple tray for my laptop; my son actually bought a thing with extra fans in it for his).

Also, laptop vents are, in my experience, notorious for sucking in all kinds of dust, cat hair, and ... stuff. So maybe clean it out. Depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could actually open the thing up and clean all the crud out of it. Or just unbend a paper clip or use a tweezers to see if you can maybe pull some of the mess out with that.

yes when i run armory crate in put my cpu on balance mode it gets 95c then restarts only way im able to play any game is to have it on silent but i lag alot

Everyone else has good thoughts on this. Ryzen 5 should run this game with little issue. I run it just fine at max graphics on the highest settings.

What GPU and how much Ram are you running? If you are running integrated graphics that could be your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Also assuming you run your laptop with it plugged in, I would check your power options since I think there was an update with Windows that messed a few settings up. Like with my laptop it was switched to Passive Cooling when plugged in, I only noticed when I realised it was running unusually hot and decided to do some digging.

However I don't run SWTOR on anything other than my PC which is watercooled but seems to still run hotter than any other game which has been a known issue with SWTOR.

Edited by DarthSealth

yes when i run armory crate in put my cpu on balance mode it gets 95c then restarts only way im able to play any game is to have it on silent but i lag alot

You may want to look at undervolting options as well.

First, investigate online to see if your specific laptop model overheats for a lot of people. Some gaming laptop models have a history of overheating because of the way the fans are positioned.

If the problem is the laptop model, one of the best options is to undervolt using a program like Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It doesn't hurt your computer, it just cuts down a tiny bit on the amount of electricity going to your CPU. My Asus Predator Helios was hit 93 a few times on Very High, which scared me. I checked online and discovered it was a pretty common problem. After undervolting, I'm always at 79-80 on Very High, max 83 if running OPs and forget to turn down graphics.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation. I've seen posts from people who wondered why their laptop was overheating, and it turned out they were playing on their bed, and the thing was sinking into the blankets, so all the air vents were blocked.

Observation here: there are two sets of vents on a laptop:

* Exhaust vents, where the fans blow air out of. These are normally on one of the sides, although see below.

* Intake vents, where air enters the laptop. These are almost always on the bottom.

When you put the laptop on a soft surface, like blankets, carpet, etc., the little feet dig in to the surface, and the surface blocks the intake vents. No air in equals no air out equals no cooling equals overheated laptop.

Below: I just bought an Asus ROG Strix G(1), and although the air *intakes* are on the bottom, it blows air out both sides *and* the back.

(1) Hyperthreaded 6 core Intel i7 9XXXH of some sort, NVidia 1660 Ti. Goes like greased owl [REDACTED]. (140 FPS on 1080p Ultra, ffs.) The air blowing out the sides is pleasantly warm, no more, but I don't put it on soft surfaces.