HELLOooOoOO? Quality Control...anybody home?!

Machine-Elf

How'd it ever come to this...

The new U.I. looks, simply put, outright atrocious ever since the 1.2 update. And it keeps getting worse (now there's an achievement toggle coming in 2.0 that not only overlaps with the mini-map but is also engulfed by the quickbars). Compare and contrast, folks...

OLD U.I. in standard extended quickbar mode

NEW U.I. in standard extended quickbar mode

And yes, I know we can change it. But U.I. customization should be an optional, not mandatory exercise.

Copperfield is much better at this than you.

No joke. At least Copperfield appears competent.

I'm not trying to troll anyone. I'm simply pointing out that the default U.I. looks terrible. I mean, even the pop-up used to inform you that a friend has come on-line used to look about a thousand times better. See for yourself in

(starting at 0:41 secs, then again 1:57).

I'm all for U.I. customization, provided the standard U.I. looks at least halfway presentable. Unfortunately, this is far from being the case with SWTOR at the moment.

I don't think that you are trolling and you aren't annoying me. You just come across as grossly incompetent. It's the fact that you are crying about a UI element that is easily moved coupled with the fact that you think that these elements should be perfectly sized and in-place regardless of your screen resolution is absurd.

The way these elements are arranged look the same on everyone's monitor, irrespective of resolution.

Now, lets examine this image in detail:

• The Quest Log toggle is placed about 8 centimeters off the top-right corner of the screen, where it should be.

• Quickbar #1 overlaps with the player character tab

• Quickbars #4, #5, and #6 are placed, and sized, in such a way that they overlap with whichever quests the player has active, as well as with the mini-map

• The companion quickbar has the background element automatically switched on, which looks odd.

...And to add to this list of goodies, you can now expect an achievements tab to overlap with the mini-map as well.

And if that happens you can bet that I will move and/or resize it without a tantrum on the forums about it. That's just me though. Your experience may differ.

Of course you will. As will I.

But the whole point of U.I. customization is to allow us to rearrange it to our own preference, not to force the player into a sort of crisis management where, in order to reach even a semblance of visual cohesion, he or she is absolutely required to re-work the U.I.'s presentation almost from the ground up.

The layout of the UI is pretty bad, but you can easily remove the two extra bars (which are basically pointless anyway) in like 20 seconds. So, it may be a problem, but its an EXTREMELY minor problem.

Put yourself in the shoes of a new player who has yet to accustom himself with the game's inner workings:

1.) You are not even aware yet that U.I. customization is an option

2.) It will blow your mind how bad the U.I. looks once the quickbars are extended

3.) Once you finally figure out that the elements are arrangeable, you will then spend at least a grueling half-hour of your time becoming familiarized with the system.

4.) Your first impression of the game is now tainted, possibly irreversibly.

But these aren't the only problems with the G.U.I...

For instance, the font used to describe each of the factions in the Reputation tab is so small it's nearly illegible, and the newest tutorial describing how the Collections system works is all over the place.

I've looked at your [Collections] picture and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Where to start? Lets start with the first pane. Apart from the faulty grammar on the second paragraph ("button IN the lower left", "button IN the upper right", instead of using the appropriate preposition, "ON" )—which is admittedly a nitpick—the image they use to exemplify its contents is cut off at the bottom with an unseemly-looking, black rectangular shape. This is used to separate it from the bottom-most element (the one with the words inventory on it) whose existence, as far as I can determine, serves no other function other than to distract us from the presentation and force us to use the scroll bar placed on the right-most portion of the pane.

Speaking of scrollbars, veer your sights to the second pane, if you will. There, you'll find another scrollbar which—by virtue of the first one's existence—you'll be compelled to interact with, only to find it serves no function whatsoever. It too, is cut off at the bottom section.

Edited by Machine-Elf

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Default UI layout would've been done with certain resolutions in mind, it is possible your chosen resolution (which appears higher in the 2nd screenshot), isn't one they used when working out the default UI layout.

I personally, don't have any layout issues with the new UI and my current resolution / aspect ratio.

With the amount of control over the UI that the player has, and the ability to save your preferred lay out, I wouldn't care if they just threw all the tools in a pile in the center of the screen and just let us sort them out our selves.

Again, U.I. customization should be optional, not mandatory. That's just basic game design principles, kindergarten stuff.

It's not an issue with the resolution. I got that pic from someone else, and am positive that it looks like that for everyone.

Edited by Machine-Elf

Again, U.I. customization should be optional, not mandatory. That's just basic game design principals, kindergarten stuff.

It's not an issue with the resolution. I got that pic from someone else, and am positive that it looks like that for everyone.

It is optional. The screenshot you have of the new just isn't using the option. Seems like you're trying to setup a straw-man argument.

Again, U.I. customization should be optional, not mandatory. That's just basic game design principals, kindergarten stuff.

You can resize and disable any UI element you like. Every aspect of the UI is 100% optional.

Please educate yourself before creating threads.

You can resize and disable any UI element you like. Every aspect of the UI is 100% optional.

Please educate yourself before creating threads.

Please educate yourself on reading the posts you quote before trying to write responses to them.

Edited by Machine-Elf

How'd it ever come to this...

The new U.I. looks, simply put, outright atrocious ever since the 1.2 update. And it keeps getting worse (now there's an achievement toggle that overlaps with the mini-map).

Compare and contrast, folks.

OLD U.I. in standard extended quickbar mode:

http://docholidaymmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/SWTOR2.jpg

NEW U.I. in standard extended quickbar mode:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/49/1355080466-swtor-2012-12-09-20-02-04-04.png

And yes, I know we can change it. But U.I. customization should be optional, not mandatory.

I'm guessing they're all at work and not at home, just guessing.

How'd it ever come to this..

Oh look, its another complaint thread based on your opinion being fact.

My opinion is that the 1.2 UI change made things a lot better.

Again, U.I. customization should be optional, not mandatory. That's just basic game design principles, kindergarten stuff.

The screenshot that you are complaining about is not the default. That has been customised.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

The ironic thing about this entire post. Unless I am mistaken that screenshot is not the default layout anyways.

So complaining that you did something optional and it doesn't want to look right and saying UI customization should be optional not required... Well you are right. It isn't required. But if you start customizing it a little bit then you might as well just dive in.

Edited by ninjonxb

The ironic thing about this entire post. Unless I am mistaken that screenshot is not the default layout anyways.

So complaining that you did something optional and it doesn't want to look right and saying UI customization should be optional...

Pretty much this, thread over everybody. The troll has been feed a bit too much, its bad for its self image if it gets too over weight due to its owners over feeding it.

Folks, I'm not trying to troll anyone. I'm simply pointing out that the default U.I. looks terrible.

I'm all for U.I. customization, provided the standard U.I. looks at least halfway presentable. This is far from being the case with SWTOR at the moment.

The screenshot that you are complaining about is not the default. That has been customised.

You're right, I hadn't noticed. It's actually been customized to look marginally better, so that the uppermost quickbar doesn't overlap with the character tab. In the default U.I. it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/ChE7C3J.jpg

Yup, it's that bad. Almost makes me wish we were back to this sordid state of affairs.

Well, not really. But you get my meaning.

Edited by Machine-Elf

What is it that annoys you, exactly, or that strikes you as being especially trollish, about what I'm saying?

I don't think that you are trolling and you aren't annoying me. You just come across as grossly incompetent. It's the fact that you are crying about a UI element that is easily moved coupled with the fact that you think that these elements should be perfectly sized and in-place regardless of your screen resolution is absurd.

The way these elements are arranged look the same on everyone's monitor, irrespective of resolution.

Now, lets examine this image:

-The Quest Log toggle is placed about 8 centimeters off the top-right corner of the screen, where it should be.

- Quickbar # 1overlaps with the player character tab

- Quickbars #4, #5, and #6 are placed, and sized, in such a way that they overlap with whichever quests the player has active, as well as with the mini-map.

- The companion quickbar has the background element automatically switched on, which looks odd.

And to add to this list of goodies, you can now expect an achievements tab to overlap with the mini-map as well.

Edited by Machine-Elf

you can now expect an achievements tab to overlap with the mini-map as well.

And if that happens you can bet that I will move and/or resize it without a tantrum on the forums about it. That's just me though. Your experience may differ.

You cannot please everyone with same UIm no matter what it looks like. With customizable UI we get the chance to change it ourselves for the one we like.

Of course you will. As will I.

But the whole point of U.I. customization is to allow us to rearrange it to our own preference, not to force the player into a sort of crisis management, where—in order to reach even a semblance of visual coherence—he or she is absolutely required to re-work the U.I.'s presentation almost from the ground up.

Edited by Machine-Elf