Visual Effect on Shield Absorptions

Chaori

It was very satisfying as a tank in WoW to see your character raise his shield and hear the sound of the enemy hitting it when blocking attacks.

Playing as a tank in SWTOR it doesn't really make you feel like a tank, the only way we can tell our mitigation is at work is to watch the numbers on the screen, ain't nobody got time for that!

I would love for tanks to have a visual and audible effect when attacks are Shielded, it would make it much more interesting to tank and I believe it would make tanks more appealing to people that don't play them

The shield could look like this, maybe slightly more transparent, and invisible until it is actually shielding attacks. Instead of covering your whole character though, the shield could appear from the point of impact and fade out so it only covers the half of your body facing the attacking mob. I'm not asking for some completely obvious effect, even a small visual would improve the appeal.

It doesn't make sense to have a 'Shield Generator' that doesn't actually generate a shield :)

Thoughts?

Edited by Chaori

I like this idea... it might as well have a visual effect much like the Personal Shield Generators that were in SWG, those were subtle enough yet very noticeable if you were paying attention. A sound effect to go with the visual effect would make it more than twice as nice.

It was very satisfying as a tank in WoW to see your character raise his shield and hear the sound of the enemy hitting it when blocking attacks. Playing as a tank in SWTOR it doesn't really make you feel like a tank, the only way we can tell our mitigation is at work is to watch the numbers on the screen, ain't nobody got time for that!

I would love for tanks to have a visual (and maybe even a sound) effect when attacks are Shielded, maybe even one for Deflections/Parries too. It would make it much more interesting to tank and it would make tanks more appealing to people that don't play them :)

Thoughts?

Parry/deflect/dodge already has animations for it, no need for further glow effects here. The shield, however, should have a subtle visual attached.

Parry/deflect/dodge already has animations for it, no need for further glow effects here. The shield, however, should have a subtle visual attached.

Are you sure? I know Deflections have a pretty awesome character animation, but I don't think the parry effect applies when your character is doing attack swing animations. Maybe even a minor sound effect for parries or something.

Either way I'm more concerned about the Shielding :p

Edited by Chaori

Are you guys on crack?

The only time you see the shield dome appear, is when you've Shielded an attack.

If you see a constant bubble, that's the Guard ability.

There is already an effect...

There is no "shield dome" for shielding attacks and no audible notification that an attack has been shielded, that's why I made this thread.. And yes I'm quite aware of what Guard is.

Did you even read the post?

Edited by Chaori

There is no "shield dome" for shielding attacks and no audible notification that an attack has been shielded, that's why I made this thread.. And yes I'm quite aware of what Guard is.

Did you even read the post?

I did indeed read your post... even clicked on the link to see the pic of the Destroyer droid..

As a Shadow tank, I also know that EVERY time I get in a fight, I see the shield bubble form around my character.

Here you go... quick search finds me a reasonably decent video example.

At 1:58 the mob deals the first melee blow, and that attack is Shielded. Notice the blue bubble around the tank.

Have never seen this on my Assassin tank.

Have never seen this on my Assassin tank.

You've gotta make sure you are in the right stance, for one thing.

Just equipping a Shield isn't enough. You also have to turn on Dark Charge, before your toon will even try to Shield. Then when you get it, using Dark Ward will increase the chances of Shielding for the duration.

Yeah, there already is a visual effect for that, but it's not impressive. I still don't feel like a tank that can take powerful pounding before going down. Some more flashy(and fleshy!) shield animation with cool sound would be awesome.

You've gotta make sure you are in the right stance, for one thing.

Just equipping a Shield isn't enough. You also have to turn on Dark Charge, before your toon will even try to Shield. Then when you get it, using Dark Ward will increase the chances of Shielding for the duration.

Lol.. I've been tanking for 10 months in end-game, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the right charge and aware of how Assassin cooldowns work. But yeah, thanks for the tips.

Idiot.

Edited by Chaori

All the banter aside, I think it would be nice for the color crystal in your shield generator to actully apply a color as well as the stat boost. Apply it so the brief shield bubble mechanic for shielding and have it change the color of the guard ability when applied. It shouldn't be that hard to do, but it definitely shouldn't be very high on anyone's priority list. I'm sure they'll get to it eventually and then we'll all have beefy manly tanks running around throwing pink and purple bubbles on averyone :p

Yeah, there already is a visual effect for that, but it's not impressive. I still don't feel like a tank that can take powerful pounding before going down. Some more flashy(and fleshy!) shield animation with cool sound would be awesome.

I agree that the effect isn't all that impressive, especially when there are lots of effects going off on or near you. However, on my juggy, all that I fealt I was doing was taking a powerful pounding before going down since they can soak SO MUCH damage. I actually had to keep checking to see if my shield was equipped because it always looked like I was just taking the shots to my face unmitigated. I think having the shield effect change color based on the crystal used would go a long way to getting rid of that feeling since that light blue is sometimes pretty tough to see when it goes off.