The Scars We Bear [Jedi Knight Quest]

BenKatarn

With the release of the Shadow of Revan explansion we also received 8 unique quests for our classes. The unique quest of the Jedi Knight, "The Scars We Bear", is what concerns me today.

First off, I really like this quest, because it deals with the Jedi Knight attempting to reconnect with the reason he/she became a Jedi and what he/she is actually fighting for, or rather what it means to be a Jedi besides being a warrior on the battlefield.

However, what bothers me a bit is Master Orgus' attempt to "heal" the Knight. He describes the memories of the Knight's time under the Emperor's control as a "scar", his darkness soaking down all the way to the Knight's spirit, staining it. He offers to heal the Knight through the Light Side of the Force.

Yet, after you are done with the quest, you unlock a codex entry, entitled" Old Wounds", that includes a text written by Master Orgus himself:

“Memories are markers. They allow us to navigate the past, and to recognize the shape of the path we have chosen. They can reinforce our beliefs. They can buoy us, bring warmth to our hearts. But they can also haunt us. Traumatize us, even when they do not linger on our minds.

This does not mean that we should seek to eradicate these old wounds. The scars left behind are a part of who we are today. We must learn the contours of these scars so that we may fully understand ourselves, and so that we may better serve as Jedi. Pretend our scars–and the memories that come with them–do not exist, and our ignorance will lead us that much closer to the dark side.”

–Master Orgus Din, from a Jedi Academy lecture

Orgus Din wants to heal the Knight and make the scar go away, yet he himself at one point said that these scars should not be eradicated, should not be considered non-existent, so shouldn't the natural way be to keep bearing the scar, because it is proof of the path the Knight walked?

Am I misinterpreting things here? Because to me it feels as if "healing the scar" is the wrong choice to make. So why is he offering the Knight this option when he himself is apparently against it?

I noticed this bit as well. ;)

In the end, I just came to assume it is meant to validate whatever choice the player character does, as in, try NOT to convey you did the wrong choice, instead of the right one.

Plus, that speech of his was during a lecture and as such, maybe he was trying not to sound too absolute. In front of his Padawan however, his candor is perhaps more open.

That's a neat quote about memories but I prefer the "dark side" version. Props to anyone who recognizes

"Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes. Like children I suppose. But can we live without them? Memories are what our reason is based upon. If we can’t face them, we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren’t contractually tied down to rationality! There is no sanity clause! So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.

Madness is the emergency exit."

"Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes. Like children I suppose. But can we live without them? Memories are what our reason is based upon. If we can’t face them, we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren’t contractually tied down to rationality! There is no sanity clause! So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.

Madness is the emergency exit."

Sounds like...

The Joker

Easily one of my favorites from SoR along with the Sith Warrior which gave me the chills.

With the way I played my JK, after Orgus was murdered basically in front her she started to go dawk. After she was the Emperor's puppet it was over. Which was a lot of fun to do, so when I saw she could get that part of her back. I jumped at the opportunity even if Orgus was like what are you doing!