Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Planet-Specific Click-And-Ride Mounts

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Planet-Specific Click-And-Ride Mounts

Tordos
11.19.2012 , 08:39 PM | #1
You remember that Requisitioned Speeder on Nar Shadaa? Well I think the same implementation could be used to add taun taun mounts on hoth, and other animal mounts the community have been asking for. By having them planet-specific it would not break immersion and since the Requisitioned Speeder is faster than running but not as fast as a 90% speeder, I think this fits the typical animal speed perfectly.

... I really think this could work and make a lot of players very happy.

Here is the original post I made regarding this suggestion:
Spoiler

Tordos
01.30.2013 , 09:08 PM | #2
For those who have not seen or are unfamiliar with the speeder I am referring to, here is a video showing how it works:

Nar Shadaa Speeder Object

Scatter a few of these types of mount objects on other worlds, create the animations (I am of the opinion that this is not as hard as some have proclaimed), and you have yourself a great addition to the game. These are not meant to be a substitute for the mounts, just wanted to make that clear. They are 45% speed so really only good for the sheer enjoyment of using them, a small boost if you don't have a mount yet, and for the role-players among us. Higher lvl worlds could see a small increase to the speed i.e. 50%, 55% etc. but I wouldn't go as high as 90% since that would defeat the purpose of speeders. Also, that way these click-and-ride mounts would not require speeder piloting 1 or higher.

YeIIow
02.01.2013 , 06:28 AM | #3
/signed

yes is a great idea, and would serve as a middle ground for those complaining about the inclusion of Animal mounts and those who wish it to happen.
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Never_Hesitate
02.01.2013 , 06:34 AM | #4
I think the real reason there are clickable mounts on Nar Shaddaa is, that you got your first mount with lvl 25 and they wanted to give a small preview of how it would be with a mount.

It'd be for the implementation of this but only if the planet mounts were slower than the normal mounts (Mounts on Nar Shaddaa: 45%)
waiting for ...

AsheraII
02.01.2013 , 07:17 AM | #5
I really think this would be awesome. I'm not fond at all about the idea of player owned animal mounts, but this would be very neat.

Just a suggestion on how to do it: give players some kind of "leash" item. I'm betting it would make a very fine Cartel Store item.
Using this "leash" object on non-aggressive (name in yellow) animal in-game, would seat the player on the animal, which would then be slower than a speeder, but could offer (for example) a much higher knock-off protection. Maybe add one or two "mount attacks" to them as well. Bites, tailsweeps, that sort of thing.

Now for the fun part: allow players to use these "Leash-objects" on the non-scentient AGGRESSIVE life forms on a planet as well, but, with a chance of failure. Like... 30% of success on silver mob, 15% chance of success on a gold mob, 5% chance of success on champion (but the champion would give a title). Better version of the leash object could then be added later, which increase the chance of success. Like 5 upto 20%, so the chance to mount an aggressive animal would never go over 50%.
Ofcourse, failing to leash an animal makes it attack you. And leashing should never be possible while in combat or against an animal in combat.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Tordos
02.01.2013 , 08:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by YeIIow View Post
/signed

yes is a great idea, and would serve as a middle ground for those complaining about the inclusion of Animal mounts and those who wish it to happen.
I'm glad you think so.

Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
I think the real reason there are clickable mounts on Nar Shaddaa is, that you got your first mount with lvl 25 and they wanted to give a small preview of how it would be with a mount.

It'd be for the implementation of this but only if the planet mounts were slower than the normal mounts (Mounts on Nar Shaddaa: 45%)
I am suggesting that they be slower than 90% and yes I believe you may be right. It may have been intended as a preview however I don't think that necessarily makes it an issue for my suggestion. Speed can scale according to what suits the planet hence why they are planet-specific, it's more important that the dismount chance remain consistent with the strength of npcs on each planet. So you could be travelling at the same speed as the requisition speeder on a higher level planet but the mount could have more resistance.

Remember these are in no way a substitute for the 90%+ speeders, meaning, these mounts will not be the most efficient way to travel on a planet. They are simply another method of travel, more choice for the community.

Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I really think this would be awesome. I'm not fond at all about the idea of player owned animal mounts, but this would be very neat.

Just a suggestion on how to do it: give players some kind of "leash" item. I'm betting it would make a very fine Cartel Store item.
Using this "leash" object on non-aggressive (name in yellow) animal in-game, would seat the player on the animal, which would then be slower than a speeder, but could offer (for example) a much higher knock-off protection. Maybe add one or two "mount attacks" to them as well. Bites, tailsweeps, that sort of thing.

Now for the fun part: allow players to use these "Leash-objects" on the non-scentient AGGRESSIVE life forms on a planet as well, but, with a chance of failure. Like... 30% of success on silver mob, 15% chance of success on a gold mob, 5% chance of success on champion (but the champion would give a title). Better version of the leash object could then be added later, which increase the chance of success. Like 5 upto 20%, so the chance to mount an aggressive animal would never go over 50%.
Ofcourse, failing to leash an animal makes it attack you. And leashing should never be possible while in combat or against an animal in combat.
An interesting suggestion. I would make one revision though, that you actually attack said non-aggressive animal and weaken it first and then use the 'leash' (similar to how the subjugation device works in the capture esh-kha daily quest or quests of that nature.) This implementation of the suggestion could be used for larger/tougher mountable animals. Alternatively, one could use an item (let's call it 'animal bait') to gain it's trust and let you mount it that way without having to go through combat. There are many ways this might work. I do think, however, that adding objects like the requisition speeder may be the easier way to go about this but I do find your idea appealing. And I really like the idea of an animal mount attack but I would imagine something to that effect for speeders would get precedence.