Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

LordArtemis

I hate to say this, but I have to agree with my esteemed colleague Verain here. At this point it is still anyone's guess, it could be the best thing since sliced bread, or fall short of the mark.

it is just too early to judge it's merits IMO.

The very fact that Verain shows interest in it makes me hope beyond hope that it will never launch and is indeed a scam. He's done enough damage in the GSF community as it is. For which he's very proud.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very fact that Verain shows interest in it makes me hope beyond hope that it will never launch and is indeed a scam. He's done enough damage in the GSF community as it is. For which he's very proud.

Really? I enjoy the back and forth we have in this forum. He has a relatively sharp wit and decent snark, which I appreciate.

I think that folks take this sort of thing too seriously. He is a good person for a debate and a few zingers here and there. We are likely all adults here...I think folks should have thicker skins.

But I understand how some folks may not enjoy that sort of thing. Me...I appreciate our common repartee.

Star Citizen's closing in on $70 million in funding and while Bioware's capable of opening up the space combat gameplay beyond PVP arenas, we're still stuck with Galactic Gunship.

Every time people randomly complain about gunships, I like to picture them being chased by Scrab, Tommmsunb, Drakolich and Xi'aou all in burst/pod scouts. :p

~Zen

Every time people randomly complain about gunships, I like to picture them being chased by Scrab, Tommmsunb, Drakolich and Xi'aou all in burst/pod scouts. :p

~Zen

Hell, I don't actually fly gunships anymore. If I need to play serious I'll hop on my T2 scout, else I'm only going to be in my T1/3 strike.

Pretty sure he's still butthurt that he couldn't stop a solo gunship scoring 36 kills on his team.

Most likely. But unfortunately, "Galactic Gunships" isn't too far off from a lot of the TDMs on Harbinger. The Imps on our server seem to have a fascination with them, and when they starting using 6+ Gunships in a match, well, it's not very fun for new people, who generally have a harder time countering Gunships and Bombers than Scouts or Strikes. And frankly, I think the gameplay it creates is boring and tedious. It's one of my biggest issues with GSF gameplay, when the easiest (not necessarily the best) way to counter gunship walls is to bring even more of your own gunships, there is a problem.

I'm not complaining about them being overpowered, but when matches devolve into over 50% gunship spam, that gameplay is. Just. Not. Fun.

Most likely. But unfortunately, "Galactic Gunships" isn't too far off from a lot of the TDMs on Harbinger. The Imps on our server seem to have a fascination with them, and when they starting using 6+ Gunships in a match, well, it's not very fun for new people, who generally have a harder time countering Gunships and Bombers than Scouts or Strikes. And frankly, I think the gameplay it creates is boring and tedious. It's one of my biggest issues with GSF gameplay, when the easiest (not necessarily the best) way to counter gunship walls is to bring even more of your own gunships, there is a problem.

I'm not complaining about them being overpowered, but when matches devolve into over 50% gunship spam, that gameplay is. Just. Not. Fun.

I enjoyed sniper wars last night. It became a game of chess, which is extremely exciting to me. Play and counterplay. LOS that last guy? Too bad you weren't paying attention to him over here.

You definitely get better the more high level play you familiarize yourself with. It's also the ultimate test of situational awareness.

Honestly, give everyone a bomber and the type 2 GS at least.

I enjoyed sniper wars last night. It became a game of chess, which is extremely exciting to me. Play and counterplay. LOS that last guy? Too bad you weren't paying attention to him over here.

You definitely get better the more high level play you familiarize yourself with. It's also the ultimate test of situational awareness.

Honestly, give everyone a bomber and the type 2 GS at least.

Oh, switching to a GS once in while can be an ok change of pace, but I just don't enjoy it as much. And I find bombers boring, period. I am a dogfighter at heart, I main a T2 Scout (wish I could main a T1 Strike, but can't justify it considering the huger performance delta) and I switch to a T1 or T3 Strike when I don't have to worry about carrying my team. If my team needs a GS or bomber, I will fly them if that's what it takes, but those are not the ships I *want* to fly.

I just get frustrated when everyone else is flying a GS, and I am forced to switch to it myself or get focused hard whenever I try to do anything. I still win >70% of my matches, so it's not like gunships or bombers keep me from winning, but I don't like how effective stacking them can be in certain situations, especially when it comes to how much skill it takes to stack vs how much skill it takes to counter.

I absolutely agree with giving new pilots one ship of each class to start off. I'd go one step further and remove the unlock costs for all components. New pilots shouldn't be forced into flying suboptimal builds in addition to having no experience and no gear. Plus, as Verain has mentioned elsewhere, new players frequently get tricked into upgrading a bad component they already have unlocked instead of unlocking a better component, because making a known component better seems lower risk than purchasing an unknown component that, for all they know, could be even worse.

Maybe if the developers implemented a thing where if a character has less than 60 games in legacy their ship gets a health/shield bonus so they don't feel like their getting blown outta sky as soon as they get to a fight.

Bring out the ion cannons! A new DPS record shall be set this day. :D

On a more serious note, I'd love to see a buff to shield strength in general. It would increase TTK somewhat and perhaps make ion weapons more meaningful. Not ion missile though. I propose it be changed so it strips ALL shields, both front and back. Now, there's a missile I could find a use for. :rak_03:

~Zen

I could see how a shield increase would be a good idea. At the same time there should be some kind of weapon that can down shields, but that weapon should require a lock on of some kind and have the ability to be avoided.

A missile would be a good candidate IMO.

I could see how a shield increase would be a good idea. At the same time there should be some kind of weapon that can down shields, but that weapon should require a lock on of some kind and have the ability to be avoided.

A missile would be a good candidate IMO.

There's this thing called an Ion Missile, but it sucks so badly nobody uses it, so I can understand how you haven't heard of it before :p

It's *supposed* to be an anti-shield missile, but it barely does more shield damage than a Concussion Missile, and is probably one of the three worst weapons in the game, alongside EMP Missile and Rapid Fire Lasers.

• 10 months later...
Maybe if the developers implemented a thing where if a character has less than 60 games in legacy their ship gets a health/shield bonus so they don't feel like their getting blown outta sky as soon as they get to a fight.

Well, If the had a bolster, similar to PVP, perhaps that would help lower powered players compete with better equipped players.

However, bolster has not worked that well in PVP if the feedback is to be believed, so it is likely there would be problems implementing it here as well.

Well, If the had a bolster, similar to PVP, perhaps that would help lower powered players compete with better equipped players.

However, bolster has not worked that well in PVP if the feedback is to be believed, so it is likely there would be problems implementing it here as well.

The gear gap in GSF isn't as huge as in PvP. The components and upgrades are more similar to talents you get. There are only very few upgrades that really make a difference and most of them can be unlocked with around 30k requisition spent in a ship. The matchmaking system tries to take the upgrades people have into account, but that only works well, if there are enough people queueing at the same time.

The real issue however is the skill gap. Some players have played thousands of games. They know what to do and when and how to do it.

More shields or hitpoints wont help because from what I've seen almost all new players completely ignore it if someone is shooting at them. A change like this will make it even harder to learn how to avoid damage or when it's time to run away.

I blame Despon. He's teaching all the newbies how to gunship.

The problem is the gunships' overlapping fields of fire. If they have situational awareness, they can all turn at the scout solo-rushing one of them. It takes very good coordination to deal with that-something like "everybody pick a gunship and prepare to kill it."

The man speaks truth

• 2 weeks later...
The gear gap in GSF isn't as huge as in PvP. The components and upgrades are more similar to talents you get. There are only very few upgrades that really make a difference and most of them can be unlocked with around 30k requisition spent in a ship. The matchmaking system tries to take the upgrades people have into account, but that only works well, if there are enough people queueing at the same time.

The real issue however is the skill gap. Some players have played thousands of games. They know what to do and when and how to do it.

More shields or hitpoints wont help because from what I've seen almost all new players completely ignore it if someone is shooting at them. A change like this will make it even harder to learn how to avoid damage or when it's time to run away.

Would some kind of bolster mechanic help ease the skill gap problem?

I also wonder, if the hangars were more functional, something like strongholds where you could go and physically see your fighters parked, if that would perhaps encourage participation.

Would some kind of bolster mechanic help ease the skill gap problem?

I think the only thing that will really ease the skill gap problem is having enough players in the matchmaking pool that people are facing off against others of a similar experience level. Many veterans have tried many things to help out the rookies, from mentoring to attempts at helping them get req in domination matches, etc. Every bit helps, but the best possible way for pilots to increase their skills is to fly against people of a similar level of experience.

Since those kinds of matches are not always easy to find, people have to self-motivate and seek out the many resources available to them to increase their skills.

If you're new and want to improve, talk to the veterans, listen to what they have to say, group up with the ones who are willing and pick their brains, and fly a lot.

Despon

Had an interesting match lastnight. It was a wargame, imp side on Harb. I had a group of 4 veterans in group, the other 4 were strangers/noobs, the opposing side was almost all noobs with maybe one or two people with 3 ships or more. We were able to converse back and forth, giving hints, ideas and suggestions to the opposing team, making the match more fun and less of a rofflestomp.

I think the only thing that will really ease the skill gap problem is having enough players in the matchmaking pool that people are facing off against others of a similar experience level. Many veterans have tried many things to help out the rookies, from mentoring to attempts at helping them get req in domination matches, etc. Every bit helps, but the best possible way for pilots to increase their skills is to fly against people of a similar level of experience.

Since those kinds of matches are not always easy to find, people have to self-motivate and seek out the many resources available to them to increase their skills.

If you're new and want to improve, talk to the veterans, listen to what they have to say, group up with the ones who are willing and pick their brains, and fly a lot.

Despon

I think in that case, more than ever, the tutorial needs serious improvement.

I think in that case, more than ever, the tutorial needs serious improvement.

For years, many pilots including myself have been calling for a better tutorial. Chances are it's not happening... BUT there is something that I encourage regarding the tutorial:

1. Play it once the way they want you to, suffer through the hideous stop-and-go nonsense and reading they foist on you, just grit your teeth and do it and try to pay attention. It sucks, but you can learn the basics. Then...

2. Play it again. flip through the text as fast as possible, then completely ignore the objectives they present. Fly around, practice boosting and maneuvering. Your ship is invulnerable, so you can bounce off walls and not die. You can get the hang of flying and power management without anyone shooting at you. You have until the timer runs down to zoom around the whole Lost Shipyards map. You can do this as often as you like to get a feel for the controls with no risk.

Despon