Remove Damage Overcharge PLEASE

Korithras

I'm so sick of seeing otherwise unskilled hacks in GSF just flying around picking up the damage overcharge over and over and over and over and over again in order to boost their damage so they can land some kills, because otherwise they'd just be space dust. Personally, I think all of the boosts should be removed as they all break TDM in their own way, but I'll settle for damage overcharge being gone as it is the single-worst offender in the game.

I'm so sick of seeing otherwise unskilled hacks in GSF just flying around picking up the damage overcharge over and over and over and over and over again in order to boost their damage so they can land some kills, because otherwise they'd just be space dust. Personally, I think all of the boosts should be removed as they all break TDM in their own way, but I'll settle for damage overcharge being gone as it is the single-worst offender in the game.

If you learn the positions where the DO powerup spawns, you can spot them on the minimap (or keep an eye out for the red glow) and grab them yourself. Alternately, you can wait for someone to go for it and target them when they're getting there, if you can see them going for it. Finally, if they get it, that should be a notice to everyone on your team to go target them. Their name just got plastered across everyone's screen in big red letters, so it's no secret who you ought to seek out and kill before they blow your team away.

The powerups don't break TDM, they -are- TDM. Learning how to best use and find them is part of the game. I wouldn't object to a no-powerups mode, too, but it'd be a different game with different strategies. Both approaches are viable.

Despon

Edited by caederon

I won't repeat what Despon said that the Power Ups in TDM are the only objective type thing on the entire map so removing them would be a whole different game type.

However incase you wanted to learn how to play the current game mode we play I made maps of the Super cluster that only spawns Damage Overcharge in this thread here.

Without Damage Overcharge, it is very, very hard to break an entrenched Gunship/Bomber formation.

The risk of a Scout coming in hot with DO is pretty much the ONLY risk of putting your entire team in a cluster of Gunships and Bombers.

Without DO, there would be no risk to creating a Gunship/Bomber fortification (except, perhaps, the other team getting together 8 Gunships).

DO is the hammer that lets you break the egg. Learn to watch for the broadcast banner of who gets it. As soon as that happens, cycle targets to find that person. Then either avoid them or focus them down.

1)- Correct use of DOs (including controlling those who get them, getting them yourself, etc) is a big part of TDM play. If you aren't doing this, you need to learn more about GSF.

2)- I have never seen unskilled players farming DOs. In almost all cases, only good or better players are doing this.

3)- If someone can get every DO and kill you with it, and you can't get any DO, then the problem is... he is better than you. If it's so easy and unskilled, why aren't you doing it as naturally as you exhale?

DO isn't the only part about TDM, but as everyone has pointed out, it's one of the few things that happens that routinely shakes up the map.

I would be super sad to see DO go away. I liked it better when it was triple damage, but that was a fringe position. As double, it's certainly impactful and interesting.

Your lack of skill at this does not imply a lacking of game design.

First off, whining about BFG is as old as multiplayer gaming. Nothing new here, move along.

To echo everyone but to clarify, dogfighting is not all there is to a TDM match, control is just as important. A couple of pilots that control the flow and push others around with smart use of DOs and EOs always look like magicians and cheaters. Don't cry about the mechanics, learn the gamamode.

...or, TDM with only DOs. All DOs, all the time. That might be amusing. I'll bet they'd be brief and furious matches.

All Gunship mode.... want to feel what its like to one shot people all the time.... enjoy perma DO.

Edit: I would not be against it but they would have to create seperate ques for it. "Fast Kill mode" or something along those lines.

Edited by tunewalker

...or, TDM with only DOs. All DOs, all the time. That might be amusing. I'll bet they'd be brief and furious matches.

Last week I had a TDM that started with four DO's! I couldn't believe it.

Of course, all the people with DO's went after each other, until only one remained. It was like Highlander in space.

Last week I had a TDM that started with four DO's! I couldn't believe it.

Of course, all the people with DO's went after each other, until only one remained. It was like Highlander in space.

The match where i maintained 260DPS over 12 minutes I think had 6 or 7, but also a lot of EOs

The match where i maintained 260DPS over 12 minutes I think had 6 or 7, but also a lot of EOs

A TDM with 50/50 EOs & DOs would be comical, maybe more so than 100% DOs. A brief, frenzied orgy of violence.

Now I'm thinking about a TDM with all EOs. That might be interesting. Or perhaps frustrating. Not sure.

Somewhat unskilled hack here... If you remove DOs, you will have matches full of gunships and bombers on both sides, and they all just stay at their own spawn point the whole match. It only takes one rookie on each side who doesn't know better and flies into the enemy formation, over and over again.

I don't know if it would devolve to that, but static defenses would become a lot more valuable. You would lose the need to actually project force across the map too. Certainly it would move closer to the situation you describe.

I admit to hating DO pac-manning too, however it is what makes TDM a TDM. I tend to avoid it and let other members of my team pick it up, or I will set traps near their spawns from time to time, and rarely grab them myself when i see pac-mans in the match.

The only viable way to get rid of DO power ups would be to allow a 4v4 TDM and remove ALL power ups, and set that up as a separate (almost ranked) queue.

DO can also be a trap for many middle range pilots, sometimes they get so focused on racking up as many kills as possible with them that they get tunnel vision, makes it easier to fly behind and stab them in the back, or spend so long trying to finish off one pilot that they waste it.