why is there sound in the vacum of space?

Jrr_hypernova

As far as I know, there's virtually no one who can prove the opposite. So it's still possible there is sound out there.

Sound is vibrations in the air. There is no air in space. Therefore no sound.

But SW is Space Fantasy not Sci-Fi so it is the same as asking "How can someone use magic when it isn't real?"

Edited by StarSquirrel

Sound is vibrations in the air. There is no air in space. Therefore no sound.

But SW is Space Fantasy not Sci-Fi so it is the same as asking "How can someone use magic when it isn't real?"

you know almost every scifi franchise out there has explosions makeing noise in space right?

You can however hear certain things indirectly if they are created in a vacuum. Shockwaves can propogate through space. When that shockwave hits your ship it will resonate creating a sound. You aren't hearing the actual explosion though, rather you are hearing its interaction with your ship. Edited by Ghisallo

you know almost every scifi franchise out there has explosions makeing noise in space right?

Try Firefly bro...

And I'm not saying all Sci-Fi does everything right, but it'd be silly to expect something that, by virtue of its genre is fantasy, to stick to RL rules.

Try Firefly bro...

And I'm not saying all Sci-Fi does everything right, but it'd be silly to expect something that, by virtue of its genre is fantasy, to stick to RL rules.

And B-5 when Harlan Ellison was on staff as a consultant. Galactica did a good bit of it too. Often you would only hear noises from the perspective of the pilot...so they are hearing their guns and their engine, maneuvering thrusters etc but then you go outside etc.

Not as consistently as I would like but it was done.

There is no sound in space. What you're hearing is actually artificial/simulated noise from speakers set up inside ships and space stations to keep pilots and crewmen from going insane from the constant silence.

;)

Because nobody would ever go see something that was battles that were absolutely silent to the point where you cerebrum would drop out of your head because it was pure boredom.

Except the giant people that yell "make it realistic!!" people that would be there. They would be in heaven!!

Those noises in space, are not actual noises. They are there just for the viewer.

EDIT: The Revenant trilogy, and the Sequel Trilogy, will be much more "hard" science fiction than the rest of Star Wars.

Edited by fidothegran