The BattleZone Reboot Round 1 Match 10: Darth Malgus vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Aurbere

Welcome to the long anticipated return of The BattleZone! Our previous match-up saw Darth Vader easily triumph over Sora Bulq. Our next match-up pits one of the most successful Jedi Generals during the Clone Wars against one of the Sith Empire's greatest Sith Warriors.

(Because Malgus' bio would contain spoilers, I have decided to omit the Character Bio section for this match)

(We are to assume that Obi-Wan is in his Revenge of the Sith prime)

Battlefield: Coruscant- Senate Building- East Wing

Lightsaber Skill:

Darth Malgus:

Darth Malgus was a practitioner of Shien, an offensive lightsaber form that took advantage of Malgus' physical strength. His offense was very strong, and his defense was just as great, both fueled by his rage. He also implemented acrobatic attacks into his attack, but these acrobatics were minimalistic, designed to increase the momentum of his blows.

During the assault on Korriban, Darth Malgus also showed a proficiency in Jar'Kai dual wielding, using his lightsaber and his master's to cut down Kao Cen Darach in a brutal overwhelming offensive.

Darth Malgus was also a fierce hand-to-hand combatant, killing his foes with his bare hands.

Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Obi-Wan Kenobi emerged as one of the Jedi Order's foremost lightsaber duelists. After his master, Qui-Gon Jinn, was slain by Darth Maul, Obi-Wan Kenobi dedicated himself to mastering Soresu to prevent himself from falling victim to his master's weakness. What resulted was an unmatched mastery of Soresu. His defense was nigh impregnable, and his blocks and parries were minimalistic, designed to conserve energy.

To compliment his sturdy defense, Obi-Wan Kenobi mastered Ataru, and achieved great skill in Niman and Shii-Cho. He was also proficient in the use of two lightsabers.

Kenobi was also skilled in hand-to-hand combat. He has even attacked lightsaber wielding opponents with his bare hands.

Edge: While Darth Malgus is strong, Obi-Wan's defense has weathered such attacks, albeit with difficulty. Darth Malgus also possesses a sturdy defense, but not to the same level as Obi-Wan Kenobi's. In the end, Obi-Wan Kenobi's strong defense and powerful offense get the edge.

Physicality:

Darth Malgus:

Darth Malgus is a human male approaching his sixties. However, age has had no impact on his abilities. He remains very strong and tough, a product of his cybernetic enhancements.

During the battle of Alderaan, Darth Malgus was crushed under the rubble of a destroyed cliff. Prior to receiving medical treatment, Darth Malgus was again crushed under rubble my another Jedi. He used the Force to blow apart the rubble, and then killed the Jedi.

After receiving his cybernetics, Darth Malgus' strength and durability were further increased. In addition to boosting his strength and durability, Darth Malgus' cybernetics do not hamper his agility. He remains as agile as he can be.

Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Obi-Wan Kenobi is a human male in his late thirties. He is very durable, capable of taking alot of punishment. He is also very strong and agile.

Edge: Obi-Wan Kenobi is physically superior to the average human, but Darth Malgus is stronger and more durable. Obi-Wan Kenobi's agility is superior to Malgus', but I don't believe that will turn the tide in his favor. Malgus' strength and durability give him the edge.

Mentality:

Darth Malgus:

Darth Malgus was an excellent tactician in his own right, but this trait didn't necessarily impact his in combat tactics. While Malgus had a great sense of his surroundings, he often displayed a tunnel vision when engaged in one-on-one combat.

He was often completely and utterly focused on his target, which served as an advantage and a disadvantage. His complete focus allowed him to react to his enemy's movements, but it could leave him partially unaware of his surroundings.

Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Obi-Wan Kenobi served as one of the Jedi Order's leading tacticians. His tactical mind transceded to lightsaber combat as well. He was a master of misdirection and distraction. This was combined with an expert application of Sokan, a skill that allowed him to defeat Anakin Skywalker on Mustafar. These skills were further aided by Obi-Wan's impressive awareness in the Force. He was capable of gaining a complete understanding of his surroundings through the Force.

Obi-Wan Kenobi also utilized a variant of the Sith Dun Moch tactic, taunting his opponents into making a mistake. This skill was put to use several times during the Clone Wars.

Edge: While Malgus has a complete focus on his foe, Obi-Wan maintains a broad tactical mind. He is smart and cunning, and uses everything to his advantage. Obi-Wan's broad tactical mind and expert use of misdirection, distraction, and Sokan give him the edge.

Force abilities:

Darth Malgus:

After the Sacking of Coruscant, Darth Malgus achieved a state of Oneness with the dark side of the Force. In this state, Malgus felt unstoppable. His power in the Dark Side was great, and he had unlocked many abilities through it.

Darth Malgus was capable of producing powerful Force lightning that could rip through the defenses of other Force users and knock them back several meters. He was powerful enough in this ability to summon Force Maelstrom's, a deadly combination of protection bubble, telekinesis, and Force lightning.

Darth Malgus could use the standard telekinetic abilities of the dark side such as Force grip and Force crush. He was also capable of lifting and hurling massive objects with the Force. His abilities with telekinesis were such that he could perform small Force Waves with only a small gesture.

In addition to these advanced abilities, Darth Malgus could also perform the rudimentary abilities in the Force. He was capable of increasing his physical capabilities to move at increased speeds, leap great distances, and boost his physical strength. Darth Malgus also fed his power in the Dark Side by focusing on his emotions, particularly anger and hatred for others.

Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Obi-Wan Kenobi was instructed in the ways of the Force by Qui-Gon Jinn and Master Yoda. In keeping with his defensive nature, many of Obi-Wan Kenobi's abilities were passive or defensive.

Like Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi was a powerful user of the Jedi Mind Trick. His abilities with this did not reach the highest echelon of power in Battle Meditation, but he was capable of the advanced Dominate Mind and Beast Trick abilities.

Obi-Wan Kenobi could also boost his physical capabilities such as strength or speed. His abilities with Force speed were such that he could move in a blur, and walk through a haze of blaster fire and emerge unscathed. He could also leap huge distances.

Obi-Wan Kenobi also developed a mastery with Force deflection and absorption. During the Battle of Muunilist, Obi-Wan Kenobi deflected all of Bounty Hunter Durge's projectiles, including fire from a flamethrower. He could also deflect blaster fire with his bare hands.

Obi-Wan Kenobi's Force Senses were also highly developed. Almost naturally, Obi-Wan was capable of seeing everything in his environment through the Force. Everything around him became known to him. Every nook and cranny, every dark corner, the activities of droids or civilians, everything became known to him.

Obi-Wan Kenobi also possessed a repetoire of offensive abilities.

He possessed a mastery of telekinesis, capable of moving heavy objects, even Starfighters, with the Force. His Force Push was especially powerful. He was remarked as the most powerful user of Force Push in the Order. This was proved during Kenobi's duel with Darth Vader on Mustafar. Obi-Wan was capable of matching the power of the fallen Jedi, and forced a stalemate through his mastery of the technique.

His abilities with Force Push reached it's highest level in Force Repulse, an ability he used to defeat Gen'Dai Bounty Hunter Durge.

Obi-Wan Kenobi also displayed a masterful proficiency with Force Crush, using it to great effect against Durge and assassin droids during the Clone Wars.

Kenobi also possessed the ability to manipulate cybernetics or prosthetics through the Force, an ability he used against Darth Vader during their duel on Mustafar.

Edge:Originally, I believed Darth Malgus would get the edge in this area fairly easily, but this decision is difficult to call. Darth Malgus' raw power and his rudimentary skills are great, just as Obi-Wan Kenobi's abilities are great. However, in the end, I think Malgus' raw power in the Dark Side gives him the edge here.

(note that when I give the edge to someone it is just my opinion. It is up to you to decide who you think will win)

Thoughts:

I have always wondered what the application for Force Maelstrom would be. As in, how quickly can it manifest, and is it useful in single combat. I shall leave that to the debaters to decide.

About one of Kenobi's Force abilities. 'walk through a haze of blaster fire and emerge unscathed.' I believe that was in Labrynth of Evil. I'm having difficulty recalling where I read that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who will win? Who is truly superior?

Edited by Aurbere

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE BATTLEZONE!!!

Finally, was eager for that. Honestly, I always suspected you would pitch in Malgus vs. Kenobi.

Well, that battle will surely be decided via lightsaber. And I think Malgus gets the victory.

First of all, we should make clear that Malgus is not the Darth Vader of the Old Republic. A lot of people tend to think that. It's completely wrong. Malgus only cybernetic was his breather, and that didn't affect his physical skillis. He was fast enough to become a blur to non-Force Users when he wanted. Because he had no limitations, he had a wider repertory of techniques. He was a master of Shien, but showed great affinity with Makashi, overwhelming Kao Cen Darach utilizing it. He defeated Satele Shan twice, without much trouble, and killed Ven Zallow, perhaps the greatest duelist of the Order at the time.

Obi-Wan is one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of history. But I don't think he'll be able to hold Malgus powerful attacks, like he did with Vader on Mustafar. Just to resume, Malgus combines Dooku's agility and skill with Vader's suit strength. A combination that'll prove deadly to Kenobi.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

Malgus does use strength in his attacks, however its not like that would be anything new to Obi-Wan who was dealing with similar attacks from Anakin, on a note I found Anakin was being described as striking like a meteor. Though he was being bull rushed by Anakin, Obi-Wan still was able to maintain a defense and causing Anakin to make a mistake thus causing Obi-Wan to become the victor.

I also feel that Malgus's cybernetics would be his downfall as Obi-Wan as said, has shown to be able to manipulate electronics...so Obi-Wan could possibly somehow use Malgus' respirator against him for a moment.

However Force ability...may change the victor, so we may need to look at that moreso then saber combat.

Though question, do we have any speed/reaction feats for Malgus?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Though question, do we have any speed/reaction feats for Malgus?

During Malgus' duel with Aryn Leneer, Zeerid (normal dude) had difficulty tracking their movements, but he noted the combat as beautiful. So he could see them fight.

During Malgus' duel with Aryn Leneer, Zeerid (normal dude) had difficulty tracking their movements, but he noted the combat as beautiful. So he could see them fight.

Ya...then Malgus I believe won't be able to keep up with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan and Anakin have been noted to react at the fraction of lightspeed. Obi-Wan has moved his saber so fast he made a shield, he has moved in a blur too.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Honostly I think this one goes to Obi-wan. People who said Malgus is not the Vader of the old republic are right. He was never humbled in the same way, forcing him to think broader instead of focusing entirely on his opponent. Against some one like Kenobi this would prove fatal, as it has been the downfall of quite a few of his opponents. He has weathered blows not just from Anakin but from Savage as well. He would be more then capable of weathering the blows of malgus. Obviously I do not believe the fight would stay in one room, Obi-wan would never allow that and malgus being who he is will go where ever his opponent is. Honostly I think this fight ends with Obi-wan employing that famous force push to knock malgus out of one of the highest window's to his death.

Just a quick battlefield reminder. The battlefield is the area where the main part of "Hostage Crisis" takes place. I couldn't remember which Senate wing that was, so I went with calling it "the lobby."

Carry on.

Honostly I think this one goes to Obi-wan. People who said Malgus is not the Vader of the old republic are right. He was never humbled in the same way, forcing him to think broader instead of focusing entirely on his opponent. Against some one like Kenobi this would prove fatal, as it has been the downfall of quite a few of his opponents. He has weathered blows not just from Anakin but from Savage as well. He would be more then capable of weathering the blows of malgus. Obviously I do not believe the fight would stay in one room, Obi-wan would never allow that and malgus being who he is will go where ever his opponent is. Honostly I think this fight ends with Obi-wan employing that famous force push to knock malgus out of one of the highest window's to his death.

Just a quick question, are you aware of the Novels set around this time?

Some people aren't, so i have to ask...

But it's worth noting, Malgus is more powerful than he seems in game, and no, he may not be the Vader of the Old Republic, but that's because he's not a Lightsaber Duelist of his calibur.... Force powers however...

If Malgus whips out his Force Maelstrom then Obi-Wan is done for, if it comes down to a lightsaber duel, Obi-Wan wins, he did beat the best Form V Shien/Djem-So practitioner ever, so that kind of makes Malgus' duelling skills redundant.

Just a quick battlefield reminder. The battlefield is the area where the main part of "Hostage Crisis" takes place. I couldn't remember which Senate wing that was, so I went with calling it "the lobby."

Carry on.

Pretty sure it's the east wing.

Edit: Yep. East wing <--- 10-20 seconds, He says it.

Edited by Selenial

Just a quick question, are you aware of the Novels set around this time?

Some people aren't, so i have to ask...

But it's worth noting, Malgus is more powerful than he seems in game, and no, he may not be the Vader of the Old Republic, but that's because he's not a Lightsaber Duelist of his calibur.... Force powers however...

Edit: what Rayla said really.

Though not so sure the Maelstrom will beat Kenobi. He did after all easily block Dooku's lightning which clearly had TK properties as it lifted Anakin off the ground and threw him against the wall. The barrier portion only means he couldn't be attack while doing it. So over all I don't feel its anything Kenobi never dealt with.

Edited by tunewalker

Like I said in the 'Thoughts' section, I don't know how quickly Malgus can summon a Maelstrom.

Well that's the decider right there, how does Malgus use it, if he can easily bring it out then he has already won, if he can't he would need to hold off Kenobi until said ability could be used.

Well that's the decider right there, how does Malgus use it, if he can easily bring it out then he has already won, if he can't he would need to hold off Kenobi until said ability could be used.

How would we go about doing that?

Can't agree and here he doesnt even reference Maelstrom:

that is a versus thing no different then here and has little to do with who is more powerful. Remember Dooku was powerful enough that he was at one time thought to be the chosen one. He was also trained by sidious as a full on sith. This points to him being incredibly powerful. I am sure there will be arguments for him being in the top 10 sith list.

that is a versus thing no different then here and has little to do with who is more powerful. Remember Dooku was powerful enough that he was at one time thought to be the chosen one. He was also trained by sidious as a full on sith. This points to him being incredibly powerful. I am sure there will be arguments for him being in the top 10 sith list.

Yes but his display with the Force doesn't match up, Force Maelstrom is a stepping stone to Force Storm, as we know from Darth Sidious in Book of Sith, Maelstrom was the beginning of that power, Dooku hasn't displayed nearly the same.

Ahem.

One point i'd like to address the argument about obi wan's rapid strikes overwhelming malgus...

Look at the fight against Satele on Alderaan, she uses a double bladed saber and hits malgus faster than i can count... And reaction times? When she flipped over him, a flip that took about a second, he span around fast enough to slice her Saber in half, which was a rapid strike to say the least...