May Not be Game Breaking but..

Dekkau

Why did I get annoyed this morning.

Well.. I'm not that bright. I do struggle with some of the game concepts and I know its my fault but....

I am a Jedi Knight and I am trying to fight with my female companion cus I hate the droid and cus of this I take all the damage. I can't get any decent gear cus there is none for sale at the auction house and we have like between 4 and 7 players on generally in my zone. I have levelled another character to 25 to get some gear but thats also pretty useless. I chose light and I can't seem to get another light saber and the mods do very little. I kinda am finding the drops poor and the vendor trash overwhelming. I love the game but I kinda feel I am struggling with the gear.

The game problem for me is that I can't stand the hoods and capes... I can't abide the droid. I am getting real sick of travelling long distances to go find there is nothing for sale at the AH. And... here is that straw that has really been annoying me for like an age... The maps. As I say I am not bright at these games.. but when I go to fleet I want to find the modification place. On the previous planet they were like everywhere... and yet at Fleet as try as I might the map doesn't show the symbol. And why only one thing that you can show. I was standing next to the bank place and that wasn't showing even with it clicked. What is the mystery. And who designed this rabbit warren. Everything is kinda in loopy places and the music... that dam annoying music.

I guess the low numbers, the lack of gear, the travelling long distances, the hoods and cloaks and the maps.... well maybe I'm not clever enough at these kinds of games. I have to put it down to me I guess. I just can't build up an image of the Fleet place, or work out how to craft, or find the quick routes to places, or work out the rotation on my attacks so I don't finish up with zero health all the time, and my fault I want to look good without a hood and cape. Dunno I just feel so hopeless. Never mind. I guess I'll try harder. I'll go Google how to play the game I guess and see what I am doing wrong.

Scuse the rant.. but thats the forum for you. My way of letting off steam. But then when your crap at MMOs its all I have sometimes. Sorry for that.

Spend your commendations you have been getting from monsters and quests on armor mods and orange gear (customisable gear) which you can plonk mods into to upgrade it.

Use quest rewards to upgrade the pieces you can't find orange pieces for, and get friends/guildies to run some Flashpoints with you, aswell as doing the bonus series's on each planet, and doing the ship dailies to make a tonne of exp and money.

I found the 25-35 slog a little gruelling but now im zooming up to 50, with ease too as I slightly overtook the storyline difficulty curve.

Don't forget you have crafts too, which are very lucrative while levelling in this game, as it seems I can always make a nice upgrade, every time I level.

Oh and warzones are a fantastic way to both learn your class and gain a tonne of exp, as well as the commendations being another easy route to getting gear. At least do your daily each day, as it nets a bucket load of exp as well as a random lucky box.

Edited by Vahzl

Its a nasty circle, you have bad gear so you fight lower lvl mobs ... who drop bad gear for you.

Orange gear is a way to go, even better if you want to try cybertech (make your own mods) but you can buy mods for as little as 2 commendations, moving into the 23/35 zone does seem to be a hard time all I can suggest is you do as many quests as possible,

On some planets (Hoth comes to mind) there are also vendors who will sell weapons and armor, expensive but its a way to go.

On some planets (Hoth comes to mind) there are also vendors who will sell weapons and armor, expensive but its a way to go.

They're all over the place, but you need to be extremely wary about buying from them. Their gear is expensive, and being green, you'll outlevel it really quickly. Orange gear for credits is worth it, as is the occasional other piece that you simply haven't had an upgrade for 10 levels.

Generally, the answer is planetary Commendations.

Its a nasty circle, you have bad gear so you fight lower lvl mobs ... who drop bad gear for you.

Orange gear is a way to go, even better if you want to try cybertech (make your own mods) but you can buy mods for as little as 2 commendations, moving into the 23/35 zone does seem to be a hard time all I can suggest is you do as many quests as possible,

Or Artificing! :)

There are three vendors you should always look out for on every planets starting area.

Equipment commendations vendor

Specialty items vendor

Modifications commendaionts vendors

Also using your map system should be a high priority, press M and play around with the left hand side. There are afew selections that allow you to change what appears on the map. Also the option to use a mag glass to show details such as vendors/banks/travel points etc

I Suggest you play around with the options available before continuing any further, you will just burn yourself out if you dont

Hello Dekkau,

I think you may be missing some info and "strategy" on swtor's gearing scheme for lower level / leveling.

First, let me tell you that almost all classes I've played struggle a bit between some levels. Well, they aren't that hard to play and advance, but there is a noticeable difficulty increase due to disparity on gear at some points, if you miss a part or two of the content.

- As you get to the fleet the first time and get your advanced Class, my advice would be that you find a friend or another player interested in doing the same, and run Black Talon/Esseles (sp?) 2man flashpoint. You can get a moddable chest piece and weapon(s) and a few nice blue armor pieces from there. It will help you a lot leveling the next few levels.

- At the first planet you reach after that, don't get gear quest rewards that are very very close to your gear. Instead choose the commendation reward. Those will be handy as soon as you reach level 16.

- Meanwhile while leveling, try to do all heroics you find, even twice or more (you can do it once a day each). Most of those heroics will give you good gear rewards or commendations (up to 3 on the heroics4).

- At level 14 you can trade your commendations for most of the armor rewards on the commendation equipment vendor, at level 16 you'll be able to get a weapon. The "last" heroic 4 on the planet will give you a nice upgrade to your chest armor.

At the end, if you have spare commendations, you can get some modifications for your moddable gear at the commendation Modification vendor.

- Also, seems that you're trying to use the Modification Stations to upgrade your gear with your new mods. You don't need those. The ones found in the worlds are "leftovers" from Beta, when you needed them to upgrade the gear. Now, you can simply press "CTRL" + "right-click" on the item to be modified, and the mod. window will pop up.

Also, don't forget to equip your companion. Drops are usually good for the companion, you can get nice companion gear as reward from a series of quests, extra commendations and crafting can be the origin of companion gear too.

Good luck with your continuing explorations!

Oh and just some advice, Kira is a terrible companion if you are a guardian. Go with T7 until you unlock Doc. Sure enough, you need to use your cooldowns on Elite/Champion fights, but using your Saber Ward (180s cooldown) and your kick, along with Force Push and Force Hold smartly, you can effectively stun lock your enemy till death.

Remember to always kill monsters in order too, leaving the hardest till last. So if you have a group of 3 enemies, start with the non elite/champion healer, then the other trash mob, and end up with killing the named/badged monster. Oh and set your T7 to Sentinel mode, but be sure to Taunt off him with Saber Ward up on the harder fights when he is near death, and use the Stim packs that heal your companion too.

So far I have found every main fight to be a challenge, very fun, but very possible with these tips in mind. I can't recall a time when I have been playing so far where my Call on the Force and Saber Ward weren't on cooldown.

Ah and don't be afraid to stance dance. Bear these tips in mind with stances:

Against only normal monsters, use Shien Form (Offensive Stance).

Against Elites while T7 is tanking use Shien Form, switch to Shii-Cho Form (Balanced Stance) when he dies and the focus turns to you.

Against Champions, stick with Shii-Cho Form, and pop into Soresu Form (Defensive Stance) when it get's hairy and you need to survive that last few % of health.

Edited by Vahzl

I am a Jedi Knight and I am trying to fight with my female companion cus I hate the droid and cus of this I take all the damage.

Kira isn't intended to be a tank (so no taunt or threat increasing stance) and so to minimize your incoming damage you need to make sure she is attacking your target (should be the first action on her mini action bar so easy to click). Unless you assign your companion a set target to attack they will attack the first target that damages you. As a knight you leap into the combat and so your target generally isn't the first one to damage you. My 'rotation' is to leap into combat then hit my reflected damage ability (can't remember the name just now) whilst in flight. Then when I land I click Kira's attack action which makes her attack my target. This means we focus fire on the bigger target so it gets less time to kill us.

Or Artificing! :)

heh or both!

I personally (as I keep saying) play this game as a single player game so I do ALL Crafts.

Sub lvl 30 it was a huge pain and I usually ended up buying mods and armor from commendations but once I hit Tatttoine the money started rolling in so I could fund multiple characters crew skills!

The 3 most important (As I think) are:

1) Cybertech (cant figure out why they get Armor plates (shouldnt the armor plates be armor tech???) and mods and earpeices but its the most complete one)

2) Artificer (Hilts, crystals, enhancements, sheilds, focuses, what more could you ask for???)

3) Armortech (most companions require this crew skill for equiping and even Jedi Knights can have orange gear made for them from this craft)

All the rest are secondary crew skills of lesser importance but I rank those as

4) Biochem (better meds and stims)

5) Weapontech (most weapons you use are moddable so this isnt high importance but the barrells are nice if you need (tho can easily be boought with commendations) and for Republic Qyzen (Jedi Consular) Techblade is made from this craft.

6) Synchweaving. (Its useful if your jedi consular male character but otherwise Armortech can make your heavy and medium moddable armor (just not jedi robe appearence) and female jedi cons/sith inq can buy full moddable sets of social armor after gaining only 10 social points (first set sold on coruscant or Dromman Kass).