powertech tank power or crit?

WolfCries

aim, endurance, tech, and/or power/crit rating

im confused on what i should throw my mods in for tanking spec

some gear comes with more aim>endurance or vise verse, and the better gear comes with the same situation but with power or critical rating.. if youve got armortech crew skill then you know what im talking about

as a tank im thinking to gear myself with endurance>aim and power instead of crit rating.. causing the toon to have a higher hp and more aoe damage for aggro.. or so im thinking.. hmmm....

im a dps normally so any help here would be greatly appreciated!

cheers and thanks ahead

WolfCry

Just my .02

My Tank gear has very little power *or* crit.

Most of the pieces are high endurance with shield/absorb rating, or defense if it's the only option.

While both Power and Crit help in the "threat" category, you'll have such low values due to pieces not having them it's not worth the worrying to try to get it.

However, in Tank Spec PVP I personally keep a Crit set in my bags :)

interesting..

im only 32 and i havnt seen many mods or armoring like that yet. i have some +shield gear atm but im still curious as to why we have this decision.. it may be a lower lvl concern or maybe im looking in the wrong place. still curious..

even in pvp, if you take the tank pvp armor its mostly accuracy, shield rating, absorb, and defence. almost no crit or power. however if you have to choose between the 2, power will usually be better for a tank simply because its more reliable damage and as a tank you need that reliability to hold aggro.

a good example illustrating my confusion would be the two lvl 24 bh pvp armor sets you can get. one is red and one is green. one is focused more on power while the others crit.. i figured the red set ( power based), made more sense for a tank. but its not just these two sets its most low lvl 3 stat armor/weapon items.

if anyone could clear this up for me thatd be rad

a good example illustrating my confusion would be the two lvl 24 bh pvp armor sets you can get. one is red and one is green. one is focused more on power while the others crit.. i figured the red set ( power based), made more sense for a tank. but its not just these two sets its most low lvl 3 stat armor/weapon items.

if anyone could clear this up for me thatd be rad

Actually you will find ther is very little actual tank gear until you hit lvl 30+.

All the lower sets are geared towards either more endurance or more Aim (or primary stat of any class). The secondary stat (crit/power etc) doesnt matter until your above 30 and the proper tank gear can be found with defense/shield/absorb etc.

awesome thanks for the replies

.. still would love to know which stat i should lust after tho

for example prior to the adv tank gear there are still those two options for the power tech class, plus the end/aim question

im still going to be using gear like this for a while before im fully swagged and id like to do as much dmg while staying alive as possible

so far ive been mixing and matching - end>aim here, aim>end there, crit rating on belt, power on helm and chest, etc.

i feel like im doing something wrong tho cause when im soloing ive been getting merc'd lately and ive just got to alderan. fp's are no prob tho, tanking like a champ especially with a good healer ( thanks healers!)

so question of questions ( bh tanks help me out here!): before adv tank gear, should i use armor mods and enhancements with endurance>aim and power>crit, or the other way around, or keep it mixed around?

note : all my gear is oranges so i rock commando mods and rage enhancements etc

thanks

Accuracy to 105% > DEF/Shield/Armour > Endurance/Absorbtion > Aim > Secondary Stats.

okay end>aim, gotcha

what about power>crit?

simply look at an armortech's heavy armor recipes. theres always 2 dif greens and 2 dif blues ( which have an added stat *crit/power), one is usually end>aim the other is aim>end, so i go for the first, then when it comes to blues they throw in the crit/power.. this is also true with mods..

okay end>aim, gotcha

what about power>crit?

simply look at an armortech's heavy armor recipes. theres always 2 dif greens and 2 dif blues ( which have an added stat *crit/power), one is usually end>aim the other is aim>end, so i go for the first, then when it comes to blues they throw in the crit/power.. this is also true with mods..

As an armormech, you want to aim for the redoubt blue from your greens. Random I know, but Redoubt is what you need to advance to epic for tanking gear.

Redoubt (+Defense) epics into

-Anti-Armor (+Defense, +Surge)

-Exactitude (+Defense, +Accuracy)

-General (+Defense, +Presence)

-Veracity (+Defense, +Shield)

- 1 missing, not sure what it gives/

Veracity and Exactitude armors are some of the best tanking gear pieces you can craft and can require :)

Power and crit are not your primary stats and fall in the secundairy stat range. so following the line I gave you earlier, they are the last parts what you need to think about.

also dont forget your tanking relic, by fusing 3 yellow matrix shards together.

Edited by Syrellaris

okay end>aim, gotcha

what about power>crit?

Below mid 30's, gear tends to be generalized to the point that anyone within the class of that item can benefit from any particular piece depending on your play style. I have noticed above lvl 35 enhancements, mods, etc, they are much more speciallized into tanking, burst dps, over time dps etc. Tanking, as an above poster said, I would concentrate on acurracy, end, aim, absorb, def, power. After 35, be sure to get accuracy to 105%, then concentrate on end, aim, absorb, and likely power as a dump stat when all else fails. Those will give you the most bang for your buck i believe.

As for your troubles with pve, if you are mixing and matching crit and power, that may be your problem. Power does not affect how much your crits hit for, that would be surge I believe. So you may be gimping yourself a bit by stacking crit, but not making your crits hit harder. Again, pre 35, not a big deal, after that it all seems to be more specialized and easier to plan out.

• 1 year later...
There is nothing in the tanking tree that procs on crit. I would stack it incidentally. On the other hand there are essential talents that build the crit chance of individual meat and drink tanking abilities. Since you must decide what blue/purple patterns to pursue in levelling I would choose the power/surge path

@ LVL 30ish there isnt much for tank gear, but just some advice as a tank you want/need 0 accuracy. Also as a PT defense is a much less valuable stat than shield/absorb. At a low level like your self it's not all that important seeing as your very limited in your choices. If you have the option always choose shield and absorb over defense.

As a tank you want/need zero accuracy? Wow - wrong. In order to generate threat you need to hit, so accuracy is 100% necessary. Check out tanking forums specific to your class.

In terms of mitigation, accuracy is not necessary, and a tank can hold more than enough threat without it.

As a tank you want/need zero accuracy? Wow - wrong. In order to generate threat you need to hit, so accuracy is 100% necessary. Check out tanking forums specific to your class.

I've cleared all content in the game, I tanked on my PT for a year. Both the Pt and the Assassin require absolutely 0 accuracy(not sure about a jug). The reason is just about everything you use as a tank is a tech ability(for PT's) and the accuracy is already 100%. You can afford to miss an ability or two as a tank.

So before coming and flaming me why don't you go read the tanking forums.

... this isn't wow

Edited by wetslampigduex

Have you been reading noxxic or something? Stop being bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you been reading noxxic or something? Stop being bad.

You don't need accuracy at all as a PT tank, most of our threat comes from Tech or Elemental damage which can't be dodged,blocked, or parried. The only thing and I mean the only thing that gets a benefit from accuracy is rail shot and it's not even your top used ability and I have yet to see one get dodged or miss.

I have poured over the PT tanking mechanics and accuracy is a wasted stat.

End>Shield>absorb>def those are your top stats, aim is not worth mentioning because it comes on your armoring and mods regardless and doesn't contribute to defensive stats only threat.

Also don't go over 15% def... it will hurt your threat in the long run.

Sorry Olos, quoted the wrong person.

Edited by XisscVekno

You don't need accuracy at all as a PT tank, most of our threat comes from Tech or Elemental damage which can't be dodged,blocked, or parried. The only thing and I mean the only thing that gets a benefit from accuracy is rail shot and it's not even your top used ability and I have yet to see one get dodged or miss.

I have poured over the PT tanking mechanics and accuracy is a wasted stat.

End>Shield>absorb>def those are your top stats, aim is not worth mentioning because it comes on your armoring and mods regardless and doesn't contribute to defensive stats only threat.

Also don't go over 15% def... it will hurt your threat in the long run.

Sorry Olos, quoted the wrong person.

No worries.

But going over 15% defense is perfectly fine. I run with 20% or more depending on fight, and it doesn't negatively effect shielding threat regen or Rocket Punch reset, even when I pop oil slick and am effectively at 40% defense.