"stealing" objectives from oppositet faction on a PvE server

psandak

I was doing some Oricon dailies on my smuggler. I was about to engage a group of mobs when I saw a Jedi Shadow go by me under stealth. I mistook him for a Sith Assassin and I took advantage of him engaging the mobs - I went after the objective.

After the fact, the player called me out on it, calling me a profane name I will not repeat here. When I realized my mistake, I apologized and explained my mistake. He responded stating, "what the _____ does that matter? This is a PvE server."

My response was, that the empire is the enemy and it's been done to me by imps a lot.

Suffice it to say that after a short period of back and forth, I stated, "agree to disagree." and the private conversation ended.

So I ask the community, is it acceptable to "steal" objectives from enemy faction players on a PvE server?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stealing objectives is lame and rude no matter what server. its just common courtesy let the most person who pulled the mob to have the node. I mostly play on prophecy of the five server so fights over objectives happen all the time. If I want your node I'll fight you for it. I don't just steal it

Even if 100 people say its ok, the person who disagrees will still have all the rights to be pissed at you. If they do not think it's ok, the opinion of other people won't matter. if you behave like jerk, suck it up and be a jerk, do not seek a justification on forums, there's none.

It's like ninja looters, no matter how much community frowns at them, they do it anyways. Don't try to sit with one behind on two chairs - stealing objectives and still be 'a good guy'. You can be only one of those.

And as for faction war, don't forget the difference between gameplay and story. Many players do not care for galactic war and just play MMO to hang out with friends etc, and faction is just a gameplay restriction, nothing more, so they see player of opposite faction just as fellow player, and grieving will never be justified in their eyes.

Want pat on a back for stealing objective from an enemy, go give yoursefl one, but do not try to tell this person what you did was ok, because some people on forums say it' ok to do so. You did it anyways, and if someone do not like it, suck it up and revel in being a jerk or something, you are not the victim there.

step 1: get the objective

step 2: kill the mobs

Problem solved forever.

Step one: click the objective

Step two: get interrupted by mobs

Step three: click the objective

Step four: get interrupted again

Step five: click the objective

Step six: get interrupted once more

Step seven: realise you're getting interrupted

Step eight: kill the mobs

Step nine: click the objective

Step ten: oh noes, someone beat you to it

Step eleven: dismount from your high horse

Step twelve: refrain from telling people how to play their game

Step one: click the objective

Step two: get interrupted by mobs

Step three: click the objective

Step four: get interrupted again

Step five: click the objective

Step six: get interrupted once more

Step seven: realise you're getting interrupted

Step eight: kill the mobs

Step nine: click the objective

Step ten: oh noes, someone beat you to it

Step eleven: dismount from your high horse

Step twelve: refrain from telling people how to play their game

no.

step 1: throw your companion to the mobs

step 2: get the objective

step 3: kill the mobs

OP - I don't think you did wrong. It was a misunderstanding. In fact, as BW has developed this game so the later planets (Oricon and CZ especially) were made to incorporate more PvP with both factions using the same areas and competing for objectives there is NOTHING wrong with taking an objective from someone of the opposing faction.

People get all butthurt over it because they feel like someone is stealing from them, but those people need to grow up a little and realize BW has developed these areas to do just that!

I too play on a PvE Server and most of the time refrain from PvP because its not what interests me in this game. However, on Oricon especially, if I find myself in a quest area with players of the opposite faction, its a sure bet I'm out to obtain the objectives before they do. I will not do it to players of the same faction, but as in the OP's case it happens especially with the stealth classes when you can't be sure which faction they are.

OP - I don't think you did wrong. It was a misunderstanding. In fact, as BW has developed this game so the later planets (Oricon and CZ especially) were made to incorporate more PvP with both factions using the same areas and competing for objectives there is NOTHING wrong with taking an objective from someone of the opposing faction.

People get all butthurt over it because they feel like someone is stealing from them, but those people need to grow up a little and realize BW has developed these areas to do just that!

I too play on a PvE Server and most of the time refrain from PvP because its not what interests me in this game. However, on Oricon especially, if I find myself in a quest area with players of the opposite faction, its a sure bet I'm out to obtain the objectives before they do. I will not do it to players of the same faction, but as in the OP's case it happens especially with the stealth classes when you can't be sure which faction they are.

IMO it doesn't matter which fraction they play, objective stealing is always rude

IMO it doesn't matter which fraction they play, objective stealing is always rude

Rude? Did you not even read my post? It's not rude if the game developers have designed objectives and resources in a manner so opposing factions are required to compete for them.

When I do Watchtower Watchers bonus mission, both Republic and Imperial players have to click on the nodes. There have been multiple times I've run up to one, only to have an Imp running to same one. Whoever is there first gets it. Its either wait there or go to the next. Its a competition of who can complete the objective first and I actually like this aspect of Oricon dailies. It sets them apart and makes them better than Ilum, Black Hole, Section X, Makeb and CZ combined, IMHO.

I honestly feel people need to not take this so personally and realize a nice mechanic has been worked into Dailies to make them a bit more challenging and fun.

I had something very similar happen to me on Oricon only it was with the same faction. He didn't try to stealth, he just capped the objective and took off while I was dealing with the mobs. I also called him out on it and he proceed to tell me that "I'm a hypocrite because I probably do the same thing, ect." Afterwards he became the newest addition to my ignore list. As far as cross faction goes, I'd say it's pretty cheap. But in my opinion it's alot worse if they are in the same faction.