The Bioware companion characters your most fond of

Rabenschwinge

I was wondering which characters are generelly liked most - which companions mean most to your characters when you play the game, excluding romances and sexual intermezzos. Characters you ever had a romance with do not count.

For me that would be:

1. Imoen (Baldur's Gate)

2. Bethany (Dragon Age 2)

3. Kira (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

4. Mission (Knights of the Old Republic)

5. Garrus (Mass Effect)

6. Miranda (Mass Effect 2)

I couldn't think of one from Neverwinter Nights, other considerable options (Liara, Isabella, Leliana) have been romances at some point.

Having re-installed Baldur's Gate II yesterday (my Baldur's Gate DVD is unfortunately damaged on one data file and the installer won't run under Windows 8), I just realized how strong this bond between my main in Baldur's Gate and Imoen had felt. My character would have done anything, really anything to protect her and trusted her with truly anything...

Miranda is the character to whom my opoinion changed most throughout the game. While I resented her in the beginning of Mass Effect 2, she kinda earned my trust with the way Mass Effect 2 ended - I had her and Legion with me when I took down the reaper, her personal revelations and the epsiode with her sister added to it. By the end of ME2 I couldn't think of anyone better suited to take command of the Normandy in my place if I wasn't on board and I could very well imagine my Shepard sharing some, though not all, of her more secret thoughts with Miranda. I can't think of any character where my opinion changed so much towards the positive throughout the game. (Anders would be an example for the opposite, though) In the end of Mass Effect 2 I saw Miranda in way comparable to Captain Picard to Commander Riker.

EDIT: Striked Tali and added Miranda to the list

Edited by Rabenschwinge

My updated list is (edited cause I included Obsidian characters and companions I romanced):

1) Jolee Bindo (KOTOR I)

2) Wrex (ME 1)

3) HK-47 (KOTOR I)

4) Wild Flower (Jade Empire)

5) Mordin Solus (ME 2)

6) Zaeed Massani (ME 2 DLC)

Wild flower because she's essentially

3 characers in one. Wild Flower with the Heavenly Guardian Chai Ka and the demon Ya Zhen possessing her body. You also have to fight for possession of her body and decide whether Chai Ka or the demon triumphs!

I'd include Death's Hand (Jade Empire) and Sten (DA:O) if there was more space and Kreia, Garrus, and Atton if they were allowed :p. Still none from Swtor... Guess I'd pick Mako (with customized appearance), Kaliyo, and maybe Doc Lokin but there are better Bioware characters.

Edited by Blackholeskipper

My favorite Bioware companions are:

Kreia (KOTOR II)

Jolee Bindo (KOTOR I)

Garrus (ME 1-3)

Wrex (ME 1)

HK-47 (KOTOR I)

Atton Rand (KOTOR II)

None from Swtor :/

Maybe they'll grow on me with more time.

Kreia is technically not a Bioware character - it's on Obsidian game. However, why she? She is an interesting character, sure, but one that you feel your player character has feels particularly attached to? difficult to imagine. Even if you think of her as a wise teacher it's difficult to like her...

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I actually liked Kreia too. She's sort of a Devil's Advocate, always questioning, always asking you to think over your actions before commiting

Also like M1-4X. He's simply FUN.

And Ashley from Mass Effect, not for the romance, though that wasn't done too bad either, but for how her personality seems in constant conflict with herself, and she also feels she is in conflict with herself. A "life is never easy" character done very well in my opinion.

I actually liked Kreia too. She's sort of a Devil's Advocate, always questioning, always asking you to think over your actions before commiting

That may be so, but you can't trust her, she would actually call you a fool if you did... The very concept of unconditional trust and friendship would seem foolish to her; to her there is nothing but competition. She stated very clearly what she thinks of surrounding yourselves with companions.

If Obsidian successors of Bioware games are allowed, too, I'd definately would want to put Kaelyn the Dove (Never Winter Nights 2 extension Mask of the Betrayer) on the list. Frustratingly starry eyed sometimes, and void of any realism, but truly good at heart.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

In no particular order:

Mako, Jaessa, and Kira from this game

Garrus, Miranda, and Wrex from Mass Effect

Jolee, HK-47, and Bastilla from KOTOR. Also Kreia, Brianna, and Visas from KOTOR 2 if that counts.

Morrigan from Dragon Age

Edited by Tommot

Kreia is technically not a Bioware character - it's on Obsidian game. However, why she? She is an interesting character, sure, but one that you feel your player character has feels particularly attached to? difficult to imagine. Even if you think of her as a wise teacher it's difficult to like her...

You're right, both Kreia and Atton are Obsidian characters, I'll edit my post above (wrote it during a class about gallstones, completely distracted). Also, I romanced both Garrus (as Femshep) and Atton (as the Exile) so they wouldn't count. I'll change that too!

Sure, Kreia's a bit cold but she's also your mentor, trying to teach you how to survive and trying to restore your connection to the force, not to mention the bond you too have. The main thing she has that characters in swtor lack is DEPTH (well in my opinion anyway...).

Pretty much this. Much of the story in KOTOR II was incredibly philosophical, mainly because of Kreia. It was interesting discussing the wars (Great Sith War, Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War), Revan's past and why did he what did, as well as the failings of the Jedi. I also liked how she would discuss each of your companions with you and try to manipulate you towards a certain point of view (but encourage you to think for yourself to arrive at that conclusion).

Also, when you arrive on Nar Shadaa and give the beggar some money, Kreia condemns your action as weak and encouraging more weakness. So she uses the force to give you a vision of him getting killed by another beggar for the money... I was like "woooah." Or if you refuse and tell the beggar to go away, the beggar gets so desperate he kills someone else for money. Anyway, that part's still stuck in my head. Actions have consequences!

That may be so, but you can't trust her, she would actually call you a fool if you did... The very concept of unconditional trust and friendship would seem foolish to her; to her there is nothing but competition. She stated very clearly what she thinks of surrounding yourselves with companions.

This doesn't make her any less interesting. In fact, it adds to how mysterious her character is.

And she turns out to be a sith lord anyway so it's natural she'd have that view.

Edited by Blackholeskipper

^Also, a huge part of why I like Kreia is because she addresses things that annoy me about Star Wars. It's the fact that actions have consequences, and these actions are not always predictable. It's not just black and white where jedi=good, sith=evil. I get annoyed sometimes with how most of the portrayals of Jedi in Star Wars so unrealistic, how they can just go around fixing everybody's problems like they're gods (for example in the TV show Clone War). Another example is Episode VI where Luke blows up Jabba's barge that's full of people, very likely including innocent slaves without even a thought or a comment. I thought you could sense other people's suffering through the force? At least there'd be some major darkside if it were KOTOR :D

This doesn't make her any less interesting. In fact, it adds to how mysterious her character is.

Interesting or not isn't exactly the question I asked - but if you want to insist on Kreia, so be it. :) You wouldn't have had to edit your post just because it's not a BioWare character, or even because I can't fully comprehend your choice.

Mordin Solus is indeed an interesting and likable character, though. Too bad I missed a lot of it in ME2 and

... he died at the end of it along with Jack in my game..

Edited by Rabenschwinge

"which companions mean most to your characters when you play the game" this is a subjective question, you leave it open the poster to determine which comps meant the most. I thought Kreia was pretty cool too.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

1. Vette, My Sith just can’t go to the dark side with Vette around.

2. Minsc, at the end of BG2 he was the only one I did not ask if he would go with me to face Jon Irenicus. I knew no matter what that Minsc would always have my back.

3. Imoen, I was so outraged when the Mages of Amn arrested her that I raced thought chapter two as fast as I could just to rescue her.

There are other BW characters that I really like but these three are the ones I remember the most.

"which companions mean most to your characters when you play the game" this is a subjective question, you leave it open the poster to determine which comps meant the most. I thought Kreia was pretty cool too.

I further elaborate "which companions mean most to your characters when you play the game" after asking the question you quote though, so I don't leave it open. Especially in connection with the title - who you're most fond of. Which I mean, as described, from an in-character perspective.

The idea for this thread came after installing BG2 again and - well, there was this feeling like my main and Imoen were truly sisters, so the question is which characters touch others in similar ways.

(Spoiler for Baldur's Gate II)

Of course, as it turns out, Imoen and my main were truly half-sisters, though not exactly from the best side of our family.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Ah, this brings back some fond memories of all the Bioware games I've loved over the years. Sadly the Baldurs Gate series and Neverwinter Nights never really happened for me as I didn't have the PC for them back in the day.

Let's see, companions who meant the most to my character, excluding the ones I romanced? Just using my 'main' characters, not the subsequent playthroughs - we'd be here all day!

KOTOR - I played a male light side Revan (so, canon) and had a solid bromance going with Canderous. Mutual respect there.

Jade Empire - gotta be Dawn Star as I romanced the princess instead of her. Friends since childhood!

Dragon Age Origins - In terms of fondness of my heroic main character who died killing the Archdemon, probably Alistair. Another bromance.

Mass Effect Trilogy - For my paragon Shep, who else but Garrus? Again, a big time bromance there. Saying goodbye to him was emotional, talking about storming heaven together and all that.

Dragon Age 2 - Varric. Easy!

SWTOR - For my main JK, probably T7. T3? Doc is cool but a Jedi needs his trusty droid. My dark side Sith Warrior has respect for Quinn.

2. Minsc, at the end of BG2 he was the only one I did not ask if he would go with me to face Jon Irenicus. I knew no matter what that Minsc would always have my back.

I have never managed to complete a play through of Baldur's Gate II without having Minsc in the party, and goodness knows I've put in the hours to do so many many times over. It doesn't matter what the rest of the party is, Minsc has to be there.

1. Jack (ME2)

2. Morrigan (DA)

3. Kaliyo (SWTOR)

4. Aveline (DA2)

5. EDI (ME3)

Honorable Mentions: Henpecked Hou from Jade Empire and Varric Tethras of Dragon Age II.

Have yet to play the BG games and will never have the nostalgia goggles required to appreciate KOTOR.

1.Shale

2.Blizz

3.Viconia

4.Morgan

5.Tali

6.Varric-The only thing I liked about DA2

Kotor 2 wasn't part of BW but the engine I believe was BWs.Visas Marr would be top of the list.Kelly Hu was the best VO.Claudia Black a close second.

Edited by well