Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the Old Republic better than anything Disney has produced?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why is the Old Republic better than anything Disney has produced?

Lhancelot
03.12.2019 , 04:35 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Yorioko View Post
...so they included aspects of socila politics, race, gender etc etc but they did so for the sole sake of refelcting Our time and age rather than using said elements to further the story.
I find most stories written in fantasy worlds by authors often reflect signs of the time during that authors life or reflects other periods of time that include social, political, gender and/or racial situations. These topics naturally stir passion in people, so are often common themes.

Movies can have dumb or unimaginative plots without attaching a political meme to the reasoning behind why we dislike a movie.

I just think people seem to be obsessed with SJW hysteria and far too often use it to explain anything and everything bad about a movie. It's sad that we as people seem to have to compartmentalize everything using a political prism to view life through.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

SaveTheMonkeys
03.12.2019 , 05:04 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I just think people seem to be obsessed with SJW hysteria and far too often use it to explain anything and everything bad about a movie. It's sad that we as people seem to have to compartmentalize everything using a political prism to view life through.
I was trying to think of a way to phrase that, but you hit it.

FlameYOL
03.13.2019 , 02:12 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I find most stories written in fantasy worlds by authors often reflect signs of the time during that authors life or reflects other periods of time that include social, political, gender and/or racial situations. These topics naturally stir passion in people, so are often common themes.

Movies can have dumb or unimaginative plots without attaching a political meme to the reasoning behind why we dislike a movie.

Couldn't agree more.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

that_Spartan_IV
03.19.2019 , 12:55 PM | #34
The Old Republic's story is still pretty bad. The class stories are awesome, but the overall plot is just terrible. I'd kill to have Chris Avellone's version of the story after the incredible work he did with KOTOR 2.

Such wasted potential.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

FlameYOL
03.19.2019 , 06:58 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by that_Spartan_IV View Post
The Old Republic's story is still pretty bad. The class stories are awesome, but the overall plot is just terrible. I'd kill to have Chris Avellone's version of the story after the incredible work he did with KOTOR 2.

Such wasted potential.
Agree to disagree, the overall story is pretty damn good.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

that_Spartan_IV
03.21.2019 , 02:46 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Agree to disagree, the overall story is pretty damn good.
I still think it's horrid, but it's better than that spit in the face that was The Force Awakens, along with its sequel.

Thanks for making the OT pointless Abrams, you populist scum.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

aeterno
Yesterday , 01:20 PM | #37
Seems like Disney agrees so the GoT creators are said to be doing Old Republic era movies. Dare we hope for a Revan trilogy?

Quote: Originally Posted by that_Spartan_IV View Post

Such wasted potential.
Personally I don't get the plaudits KOTOR 2 has in some circles... After KOTOR dreamed up an era of unlimited potential... the sequel rebooted the new unvierse into the OT "last of the jedi" rehash. I mean it had quality writing and plot, but if you're talking wasted potential, KOTOR 2 should have its photo next to the dictionary definition. TOR had to jump centuries again to re-established the scenery KOTOR 2 mucked over for no reason other than lack of originality.

One can't deny Obsidian doesn't do quality work but they've seemed badly short of imagination from the get go. Even the latest project is basically just a deja-vu fiesta. It'll be better made than Fallout no doubt but come on... it's another Obsidian re-do of the already seen.

MadDutchman
Yesterday , 05:03 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Seems like Disney agrees so the GoT creators are said to be doing Old Republic era movies. Dare we hope for a Revan trilogy?
I'd rather they didn't to be honest. I have 0 faith in Disney being able to give it the love it deserves.

Have it set in that time line, with new characters and occasional references to the fan favourites though would be just the thing I think.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.