HELLOooOoOO? Quality Control...anybody home?!

Machine-Elf

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why so much anger towards the OP. He/she pointed out a clear lack of QA. It can easily be fixed by the player via the customization feature but the initial balls-up remains. It's not a huge problem for me but I'm not going to insult those for whom it is as the complaint has some merit imo.

Not sure why so much anger towards the OP. He/she pointed out a clear lack of QA. It can easily be fixed by the player via the customization feature but the initial balls-up remains. It's not a huge problem for me but I'm not going to insult those for whom it is as the complaint has some merit imo.

It looses all merit when the OP is complaining that the non default UI is not perfect and claiming that customization shouldn't be required.

If I was Quality Control this would be my answer....

Yes Mr. Whiner we are here. So sorry about not responding to this sooner but we are busy dealing with REAL issues that happen to players who don't need us to wipe their butts for them. If you don't like the UI, there is an option to resize or fit it any way you which. We even provide a nice HELP tool as you play that shows how the feature works. No, we're not going to redo your UI for you because we feel that it's the player's job to play their own game.

It looses all merit when the OP is complaining that the non default UI is not perfect and claiming that customization shouldn't be required.

Surely though customization should always be optional and not mandatory? QA is quality assurance and the default UI in those screenshots look shoddy so QA dropped the ball (although maybe not from a great height). I find it no big effort to 'fix it' myself but I can see where the OP is coming from.

I repeat, for me, it's a very minor problem but the essence of what the OP wrote is correct imo.

EDIT: Missed the 'non' part to default. Will check in a few mins exactly what the default looks like ingame.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

The examples you have given are of subscribers using the default UI. I guarantee that any subscriber can figure this out and use the UI customizer without complaint, in fact they would be pumped to change it in their own way. Every beginner subscriber is NOT new to MMOs. Subscribers shouldn't complain about UI. (Or if they do they're trolls)

EVERY beginner to this game will start out f2p, because they don't know how MMOs work and they have never played anything like this before. These people, who should be catered to when it comes to UI, have a nice looking UI like your first screenshot. They only have 2 quickbars. They don't have random crap cluttering up their screen. BioWare is making it look nice.

IF there is a beginner subscriber, who has a right to complain about UI, who has never played anything like this before and needs to be catered to when it comes to UI, then let them deal with it. They should've started out f2p if they don't know anything about this game.

So your complaint is unnecessary. You even said yourself that you don't use the default UI. Mine looks frickin sweet :)

Cool UI. Looks like mine... but less cluttered. Hmmm... give me some ideas. :D Don't hate me for taking some of yours and adding it to mine. I will post my results.

Surely though customization should always be optional and not mandatory? QA is quality assurance and the default UI in those screenshots look shoddy so QA dropped the ball (although maybe not from a great height). I find it no big effort to 'fix it' myself but I can see where the OP is coming from.

I repeat, for me, it's a very minor problem but the essence of what the OP wrote is correct imo.

That is my point. The UI that the OP is complaining about already required some customization to get to. Yes you choose a UI from a menu but you still customized away from the Default UI. So complaining that something shouldn't be required, but you are complaining that by using said not required thing you get a bad UI, you loose all merit.

Edited by ninjonxb

That is my point. The UI that the OP is complaining about already required some customization to get to. Yes you choose a UI from a menu but you still customized away from the Default UI. So complaining that something shouldn't be required but you are complaining that by using said not required thing you get a bad UI, you loose all merit.

Yup yup, I added an 'EDIT' to my post as for some reason I failed to read the 'non' part infront of 'default'.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

If you play at 2560x1600, the extended quickbars do not overlap the minimap. They will overlap the very bottom of the quest log, but it isn't horrible.

Plus, if you have seen the option for "Extended Quickbars", you have seen the option for "Open Interface Editor", so what exactly is the problem here?

If you play at 2560x1600, the extended quickbars do not overlap the minimap. They will overlap the very bottom of the quest log, but it isn't horrible.

Plus, if you have seen the option for "Extended Quickbars", you have seen the option for "Open Interface Editor", so what exactly is the problem here?

Lol, qft.

Well, I for one have been playing for less than a month. I am a subscriber. I have found all of the UI customization elements.

But when I first started, and first found the "extended quickbars" option, I did get the impression that the people working on the UI were not doing a good job.

Yes, it's customizable. But selecting a "preset" UI layout should not cover over other elements of the UI. It should still be highly usable.

As for screen res... oh, I'm sorry, not all of us have those big of monitors. My home one is a 19", 1440x900. Even my work one, a 24" monitor, does not allow for that high of a res. So saying that they look fine on a higher res is not an excuse for the UI team doing a shoddy job. That's akin to one of my work's in house software programmers designing a program practically the whole company uses for use on 1920x1080 monitors, while the laptop (mobile) users can only get a max of 1280x800 (or 1600x900 on some of the newer ones). It's stupid.

3.) Once you finally figure out that the elements are arrangeable, you will then spend at least a grueling half-hour of your time becoming familiarized with the system.

That they can then save and load onto every other character.

That is my point. The UI that the OP is complaining about already required some customization to get to. Yes you choose a UI from a menu but you still customized away from the Default UI. So complaining that something shouldn't be required, but you are complaining that by using said not required thing you get a bad UI, you loose all merit.

You're technically half-right, though the fact that the game is virtually unplayable without at least a second quickbar renders your point moot. It may as well be default, since the only other preset alternative is a "retro" arrangement that has problems of its own.

And then there's the fact that if you upgrade to subscriber, the "extended quickbars" option IS the default U.I.

You're technically half-right, though the fact that the game is virtually unplayable without at least a second quickbar renders your point moot. It may as well be default, since the only other preset alternative is a "retro" arrangement that has problems of its own.

And then there's the fact that if you upgrade to subscriber, the "extended quickbars" option IS the default U.I.

not if you're a smash-noob. ;)

Right. But I'm pretty sure those in need of needlessly complex gameplay can already get their fix with the nigh-impenetrable stats, augments, and crafting systems.

TOR doesn't exactly use a super complex stat, augmentation, or crafting system.

Maybe not in MMO terms, but tell that to the average gamer.

So we should keep lowering the bar even more? No, some players just need to stick with single player games. MMOs aren't suppose to cater to the lowest common denominator. If you think TOR is complex then you would be lost in a game like EVE.

Edited by oslek

So we should keep lowering the bar even more? No, some players just need to stick with single player games. MMOs aren't suppose to cater to the lowest common denominator. If you think TOR is complex then you would be lost in a game like EVE.

There's a reason why the vast majority of gamers wouldn't touch an MMO with a ten-foot pole. Why do you think MMOs are transitioning to steamlined, more skill-based combat systems? It's not about catering to the lowest common denominator, it's about ensuring these systems are accessible—ideally through a compelling, in-game presentation—to those who display some measure of willingness to learn them in the first place. Otherwise you risk restricting your product's appeal to a very niche portion of the market (the majority of which has already been gobbled up by WoW anyway).

Edited by Machine-Elf