Rated Warzone gear and crit crafted orange gear a problem.

Gidoru

This primarily concerns this note from the 1.2 patch:

Players with high ratings can purchase Rated War Hero gear and vehicles. Rated War Hero gear has the same stats as War Hero gear, but has a more prestigious appearance.

The problem here is that this represents a conflicting design with that of the new crit crafted orange gear.

By now it should be obvious that Orange crit crafted gear will be the best gear in the game as a result of the augment slot. It should also be obvious that any competitive players will use and wear orange crit crafted gear over PvE or PvP gear.

So, back to the patch note, you are essentially rewarding competitive players with unique armors sets for achieving high ranks in the ranked warzone system, yet, none of these players will use these sets, because they lack the augment slot from crit crafted gear. So why should anyone put the extra effort to achieve a high rank to be rewarded with 'more prestigious' gear that is significantly worse than orange crit crafted gear?

You either need to

1. Put an augment slot on these high Rated War Hero pieces

2. Grant the ability to transfer an augment slot onto this gear somehow

Edited by Gidoru

The whole idea of "find ye a level 11 schematic for orange gear, crit it, and wear it for eternity!" is a bit daft. It doesn't help crafting, it just smears a thick layer of "stupid" across the entire gearing game.

They seriously picked one of the worst designs ever for a crafted system. And its kind of sad really, because this is like, one of the few halfway "original" ideas they have ever had. Everything else is a carbon copy from some other mmo. And for all I know, this is as well, but if it was, im sure they would have copied whatever the solution to this problem was (assuming said innovators had a problem like this in their game).

It really does no good to bring it up to them, because anything you say will not be understood. They are so out of it, reasonable people can no longer communicate with them.

Yes it does.

"Players can now remove Armoring modifications from items with set bonuses and transfer those set bonuses to Custom (orange) items. These modifications can only be transferred to an item that is equipped in the same slot."

Edited by JesseShando

Perhaps there is a way to solve this:

I suppose it wouldn't matter if the gear was orange or purple (custom and prototype respectively), but that not only do they both have the slots open for customization, perhaps they can make it so that when you go to purchase war hero gear (or any pvp/pve set) that they have a chance to crit and get the augment slot. I don't think people would want it to be reverse engineered though (for a chance to become a learned set for an augment slot as that would just isolate the armour making crew skills.

If there is a low chance of getting an augmented pvp/pve armour set (let's say 5%) then I could see that working.

I suppose it wouldn't matter if the gear was orange or purple (custom and prototype respectively), but that not only do they both have the slots open for customization, perhaps they can make it so that when you go to purchase war hero gear (or any pvp/pve set) that they have a chance to crit and get the augment slot. I don't think people would want it to be reverse engineered though (for a chance to become a learned set for an augment slot as that would just isolate the armour making crew skills.

If there is a low chance of getting an augmented pvp/pve armour set (let's say 5%) then I could see that working.

So first people have to put in the time and effort to get a high rank in rated warzones, then they have to have the commendations to afford the gear, and now you think we they should have a 5% chance to get an item with an augment slot when purchasing the gear? The point of the "different color prestige" is to show off that you've gotten a high pvp rank. Shouldn't the top ranked players already automatically have an augment on the gear they buy so that it's on par with crit crafted gear?

So first people have to put in the time and effort to get a high rank in rated warzones, then they have to have the commendations to afford the gear, and now you think we they should have a 5% chance to get an item with an augment slot when purchasing the gear? The point of the "different color prestige" is to show off that you've gotten a high pvp rank. Shouldn't the top ranked players already automatically have an augment on the gear they buy so that it's on par with crit crafted gear?

Ah true. I suppose it would have to be seen in game as to how easy it is to acquire the rated kind. (Also, the 5% was just a suggestion).

Edited by MasterFeign

Not being a wise guy asking this but did the complaint of the rng come to mind before posting this idea? I can hear it now, the rng sucks I have gotten xx amount with no extra slot!

Not being a wise guy asking this but did the complaint of the rng come to mind before posting this idea? I can hear it now, the rng sucks I have gotten xx amount with no extra slot!

Yeah it did, it's pretty persistent even now with things like battlemaster commendations, so I suspect people will love it, and others would hate it.

But the previous commenter's post about the rated gear having the augment slot regardless is also good.

Step 1) Queue for pvp, put on "significantly" better gear

Step 2) Pvp in said gear

Step 3) Leave warzone

Step 4) Put on "prestigious" gear and flash your epeen around the fleet station

Barring the impracticality/annoyance of doing this for every warzone, this is the best solution. Of course, to resolve the annoyance of this, BW could just add an APPEARANCE TAB on the character sheet and resolve everyone's complaints real quick.

The set bonus isn't following the armoring on the PTS, so if it's a bug cool. If not then even better.

Huh... interesting, then either something is misinformed or there is confusion or there is indeed a bug.

In the end though, it would kind of make sense. It' like: either go with the augment or the set bonus, which ever suits you better.

The set bonus isn't following the armoring on the PTS, so if it's a bug cool. If not then even better.

Even if this is the case, many of the PvP set bonuses are not even close to being worth the 200+ or so of the primary stat you will be losing.

Edited by Gidoru

You can remove all slots (including the one that carries set bonus) from endgame gear, re it to learn the schematic, crit-craft it, put the mods (including the one that carries set bonus) back in, then add augment.

You can remove all the slots (including the one that carries set bonus) from endgame gear, buy crit-crafted version from someone with the crew skill, put mods (including the one that carries set bonus) back in, then add augment.

The only thing from end game gear you can't re and learn the schematic for is barrel/hilt/armoring with the set bonus intact (I'm not sure if you can re those and learn a schematic without the set bonus, I hear that you can, but I haven't done it).

Edited by jmdatcs

Players with high ratings can purchase Rated War Hero gear and vehicles. Rated War Hero gear has the same stats as War Hero gear, but has a more prestigious appearance.

The problem here is that this represents a conflicting design with that of the new crit crafted orange gear.

By now it should be obvious that Orange crit crafted gear will be the best gear in the game as a result of the augment slot. It should also be obvious that any competitive players will use and wear orange crit crafted gear over PvE or PvP gear.

So, back to the patch note, you are essentially rewarding competitive players with unique armors sets for achieving high ranks in the ranked warzone system, yet, none of these players will use these sets, because they lack the augment slot from crit crafted gear. So why should anyone put the extra effort to achieve a high rank to be rewarded with 'more prestigious' gear that is significantly worse than orange crit crafted gear?

You either need to

New hero gear for players participating in ranked warzones is the final nail in the coffin for me. I primarily solo play so wont achieve a rank and as such will no longer be participating in lvl 50 pvp

You either need to

Won't you also be able to RE the war hero gear? Essentially making it 'orange' with an augment slot?

The whole idea of "find ye a level 11 schematic for orange gear, crit it, and wear it for eternity!" is a bit daft. It doesn't help crafting, it just smears a thick layer of "stupid" across the entire gearing game.
Currently I'm planning on critting on a pair of level 39 pants; since, you know, they look like pants instead of a skirt.

I'm also hoping that I can get a schematic for the robe I have then critting on it; if I can't learn the pattern (it's unclear right now whether it will be added anywhere), I'll continue wearing the one I have without an augment.

I'll may wind up farming lvl 40 pvp armor for another class so that I can learn it and crit on it so that my friend can keep the look he wants.

Anyway, the idea from BW is actually "find ye a piece of gear that you like the look of, learn it, and crit it, and wear it for eternity!"

Edited by ferroz

It doesn't matter, the "Prestigious appearance" of the Rated War Hero gear is a simple re-coloration of the Unrated War Hero gear.

Don't believe me? http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

Scroll down to where it says "X class color variations".

Once again, armor in this game is a joke.

Won't you also be able to RE the war hero gear? Essentially making it 'orange' with an augment slot?

Perhaps you can but thats absurdly cumbersome, so i have to get commendations, get ranked warzone rating, get the required crafting skill, get crafting materials, get lucky with a crit on the item and multiply this for every item slot?

That doesnt seem like much of a 'reward' for having high rating to me.

It doesn't matter, the "Prestigious appearance" of the Rated War Hero gear is a simple re-coloration of the Unrated War Hero gear.

Don't believe me? http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

Scroll down to where it says "X class color variations".

Once again, armor in this game is a joke.

That is pretty terrible... you can barely notice the difference.