Epic... then not

ColonelM

Last night on Jung Ma, people in the Fleet were announcing a Republic attack on Dorn Base on Hoth. About to log for the night, I figured I'd check it out before bed. I fly to Hoth, go up the elevator and head toward the base exit, only to be met with....

horrendous frame rates.

Ok, granted, my comp is a couple years old. A certain capturable neutral base area in another fantasy-based MMORPG that will go unnamed consistently had at least two full raid groups of 40 on either side and the same computer still got 20+ fps at the worst times. It was at least playable.

Last night, there were about 40-50 per side (that I could tell) but it wasn't even funny how bad the fps was. Is the Hero engine just that bad? Anyone with a new comp ever encounter that type of melee? Was the framerate really low for you too? One of the primary reasons I wanted to play this game, and the sole reason for going through three PVP servers was the idea of world Empire vs Republic PVP. I know people were complaining about Ilum but I haven't experienced it personally. Was this one of the main gripes?

The Epic part was the fact that 100ish people were all killing one another. That part was beautiful. Well, what I could see of it anyway.

Moal

The only noticable lag I have ever seen in this game was on Ilum. I remember a few months ago there were some pretty big fights going on. About 25-25 at times. The FPS was horrible during these fights. I have a very good computer that I custom made (have been custom making my own PCs for about 10 years now). I know it is not my machine. I will have to agree with you and say that it is just the gaming engine. It doesn't seem to support large crowds of players very well. Large crowds of players fighting I should say considering I can walk around fleet perfectly fine and there are always hundreads of players there.

i'm not sure why, but from what i can tell, what seems to cause the fps drop isn't the number of characters, it's the number of particle effects. this is most obvious on coruscant. there's a certain flightpoint that's right above a big firefight, with many NPCs firing at each other, and pretty much everyone experiences 10fps there.

the scary thing is, i don't think this is something they can fix. :sul_mad:

I'm guessing you never took part in Ilum?

I said as much. ;)

Thanks for the replies, folks. I was a sad Sith last night. I'm not one to jump on the "I'm gonna unsub if this isn't fixed" bandwagon, but the idea of big PVP battles is something I was looking forward to in TOR. I do hope it's something the CAN fix at some point. I'm having a good time doing PVE content but I do like to play saber pinata with some Pubs once in a while.

Moal

I have tested this concept on 4 PC's of varying graphical power. the outcome was I nailed it down to packets that send visual updates back to client when you enter a certain area. the numerous particle effects seem to be the cuprit when it comes to severe lag.

My only soulution for my new very high-end PC was to turn in on very low setting during these intesnse visual moments. I can run around fleet now with 250 people standing next to me with almost no lag.

It's when they start cranking AoE spells then I notice the drop.

1.3 might help, since they optimized the game even more. I had increased response and smooth frame rates on the test server.

From my understanding of this occurrence (based off a thread in the PTS) the optimization mentioned in the patch notes has little effect but downloading the game client from the server and not using a CD for the install causes the uptick in performance. I do not believe this effect is tied to the lag caused by particle effects and 1.3 should not impact this part of the game.

Last night on Jung Ma, people in the Fleet were announcing a Republic attack on Dorn Base on Hoth. About to log for the night, I figured I'd check it out before bed. I fly to Hoth, go up the elevator and head toward the base exit, only to be met with....

horrendous frame rates.

Ok, granted, my comp is a couple years old. A certain capturable neutral base area in another fantasy-based MMORPG that will go unnamed consistently had at least two full raid groups of 40 on either side and the same computer still got 20+ fps at the worst times. It was at least playable.

Last night, there were about 40-50 per side (that I could tell) but it wasn't even funny how bad the fps was. Is the Hero engine just that bad? Anyone with a new comp ever encounter that type of melee? Was the framerate really low for you too? One of the primary reasons I wanted to play this game, and the sole reason for going through three PVP servers was the idea of world Empire vs Republic PVP. I know people were complaining about Ilum but I haven't experienced it personally. Was this one of the main gripes?

The Epic part was the fact that 100ish people were all killing one another. That part was beautiful. Well, what I could see of it anyway.

Moal

Ilum performance was appalling which is why one of the first things they did was ban companions, however it made little difference.