I miss the old days

Electroflux

I just recently started playing this game again a couple days ago, but I am deeply saddened by some experiences that used to be there that most likely will never return, most notably, world pvp.

Prophecy of the Five seems like an absolute wasteland. I miss the days of waiting in clutch locations on tatooine for my victims on a jedi shadow. There was so many players that you weren't safe at any point of any pvp planet...now, I'm lucky to find like 5 people on the empire side on tatooine and considering they are/were the most popular faction...i'm assuming there's a lot less on the republic.

It's a hard pill to swallow when that was literally the only thing I played the game for and it is forever gone. It's like when WoW became casual and southshore battles dissipated...now that was a stab in the gut and i'm kind of feeling the same way now.

EDIT: I should mention, other then the serious bugs back then, this game might've been something. The only reason I quit was because the game didn't run well and the bugs were pretty serious...it's sad to see what it has become. I truly think this game has came a long way and has improved a lot but unfortunately, unless they introduce like darth vader or something...it's going to be veryyy quiet..

Edited by Electroflux

It's the server, not the game. POT5 is dead because many people did exactly what you did...they quit. Transfer servers. OW PvP sucks in this game...pick a server based on population, not your ability to OW PvP. Even at our height on POT5, OW PvP was scarce. Pick a server where you can enjoy the game again. I suggest Harbinger, only because it's non-stop action. Use the 12xXP to grind new toons and next week when transfers are working again, use your one free transfer to move everything you have of value (credits, resources and gear).

That's what happens when you choose to play a PvE centric game for its OW PvP, I guess. :confused:

Heard this same statement across pretty much any MMORPG with PvP (and i've played them all). I seriously don't get where you people come from.

I don't think the OWPvP was bad, it was exciting. Unfortunately, I don't think OWPvP is going to be a thing anymore, even if MMO's continue to exist...which seems pretty grim. (other then asian garbage)

Heard this same statement across pretty much any MMORPG with PvP (and i've played them all). I seriously don't get where you people come from.

I don't think the OWPvP was bad, it was exciting. Unfortunately, I don't think OWPvP is going to be a thing anymore, even if MMO's continue to exist...which seems pretty grim. (other then asian garbage)

Are you kidding me?

OW PvP was pretty much non-existant.

Firstly, you don't get to go to a planet shared with the enemy until you're level 20!

And even then, it's not all areas that overlap.

Even on the PvP servers, OW PvP was nearly non-existant according to those who play there.

Besides, OW PvP is mostly ruined by gankers (which you seem to be in favor of) who don't want a fair fight, but want to ambush people when they're going about their daily missions.

And then there's the simple fact that PvP will always play second fiddle to PvE in a PvE centric game. That's just the way it is, but many PvP players can't seem to handle that and throw hissy-fits every now and then because either the devs are not balancing the classes for PvP or they throw a hissy-fit because the devs ARE balancing the classes for PvP. :rolleyes:

I don't know about that. CU and Crowfall sound to be making a niche attempt at it. Hopefully they do better than Archeage did with its cash shop. The Repopulation seems to at least have it but its not nearly the focus as CU and Crowfall.

When was WoW not casual?

It created the concept of solo questing in an MMO.

I won't disagree with anything else in your post though. I'm not a big fan of PVP servers myself, but you aren't wrong about the state of open world PVP on PVP servers. It's quite dead.

Are you kidding me?

OW PvP was pretty much non-existant.

Firstly, you don't get to go to a planet shared with the enemy until you're level 20!

And even then, it's not all areas that overlap.

Even on the PvP servers, OW PvP was nearly non-existant according to those who play there.

Besides, OW PvP is mostly ruined by gankers (which you seem to be in favor of) who don't want a fair fight, but want to ambush people when they're going about their daily missions.

And then there's the simple fact that PvP will always play second fiddle to PvE in a PvE centric game. That's just the way it is, but many PvP players can't seem to handle that and throw hissy-fits every now and then because either the devs are not balancing the classes for PvP or they throw a hissy-fit because the devs ARE balancing the classes for PvP. :rolleyes:

Why are you so mad?

I played this game for a few months since late closed beta. If you personally didn't play on a PvP server back then, then you can't really claim what there actually was. I know what it was like and it was exactly how I described. Also, i'm not sure what you're getting at with the point that I "condone" ganking. I never said anything about ganking.

People know the risks of PvP servers but they still complained. That's their own fault. I remember having mass battles on tatooine regularly because people would form groups solely to have fair matches.

This game never had good open world pvp. Even when the servers where full after launch the open world pvp was a joke. People have companions out so its never 1v1, the worlds are designed so that for the most part you avoid the other faction. You can recall or come back to life really fast to get right back into the action which makes for lame pvp.

You get no rewards, you cant loot their corpse, they lose nothing for dying, no risk no reward.

A real open world pvp game was darkfall.

This game never had good open world pvp. Even when the servers where full after launch the open world pvp was a joke. People have companions out so its never 1v1, the worlds are designed so that for the most part you avoid the other faction. You can recall or come back to life really fast to get right back into the action which makes for lame pvp.

You get no rewards, you cant loot their corpse, they lose nothing for dying, no risk no reward.

A real open world pvp game was darkfall.

Never played Darkfall but it still exists...I'm not sure why people quote Darkfall all the time. If it was as good as everyone said, then why did it "die?" There really is no other MMO that has good OWPvP. I was hoping for Archeage but an unfortunate and quick downfall.

People know the risks of PvP servers but they still complained. That's their own fault.

Are you saying that if people don't wanna be ganked by others who wait in clutch locations on Tatooine for their victims they should leave and not play on a PvP server? Tell you what, that's exactly that's what happened and why you have to make a thread like this.

EDIT: I was a total MMO newbie when I started playing this game and I created my first character on a PvP server just because I chose a random one. The game was fun. Until Tatooine when a lvl 50 stealther who waited in a clutch location on Tatooine for his victims ganked me while I was trying to do my story mission including the popular spit and dance emotes. I abadoned this character and rerolled on a PvE server. It was the best choice I ever made in this game.

Edited by Rithoma

Are you saying that if people don't wanna be ganked by others who wait in clutch locations on Tatooine for their victims they should leave and not play on a PvP server? Tell you what, that's exactly that's what happened and why you have to make a thread like this.

darkfall orginally died because not only was it a hardcore pvp game, it had an extreme grind that required you to spend months grinding to get to. Therefore after many months when players got advanced, new players coming where totally screwed and had a grind in front of them that was months long. That mean't they were going to get beat up on and have all their stuff taken from them for months without being able to defend themselves or fight back.

The grind killed off the playerbase. People like hardcore pvp but when you have hardcore pvp you cant also have a long grind to endgame because once people hit end-game they will punish noobs to the extreme and run them away.

Edited by DirtyDiggler

There is a huge difference between coming accross someone and fighting out in the open, and basement trolls who sit for hours camping medical centers and quest zone ins :rolleyes: (especially when they are 20-30 levels higher then the people they are camping) Edited by XiamaraSimi

EDIT: I was a total MMO newbie when I started playing this game and I created my first character on a PvP server just because I chose a random one. The game was fun. Until Tatooine when a lvl 50 stealther who waited in a clutch location on Tatooine for his victims ganked me while I was trying to do my story mission including the popular spit and dance emotes. I abadoned this character and rerolled on a PvE server. It was the best choice I ever made in this game.

Lame story, you gave up on a toon simply because someone killed you and made you have to go back to the med bay. You lost nothing, no equipment, no money, only time, and you could of went back with people to get him back.

Imagine playing a real pvp game where you just spend hours in a dungeon looting epic gear and as you leave said dungeon to take your goodies back to the bank outside the door are a gang of people waiting on you who kill you, dance on your body and take all your goodies for themselves. Maybe they got you right at the bank just as you were about to put them in the bank and took off with them?

imagine getting off your mount and before you can put it away someone jumps on it and rides off and steals it! Now its gone forever and hes Pming you thanking you for your mount....

That was darkfall, a real pvp game.... you have nothing to cry about simply because you lost 5 mins time.

Edited by DirtyDiggler

Just a few thoughts to the OP ...

One, PoT5 is a wasteland. I know because I am there myself. But I refuse to pay BW to move my characters when they were the ones who exiled me here to begin with when they shut down the last server I was on.

Two, if you want any symbolance of OWPVP, you have to go to Yavin 4 or wait for the Cree event. Tattooine you will be lucky to see 5 people on the whole planet after 12 XP runs its course. Oricron is almost as bad. Rishi is just a place to gank levelers and daily quest runners. Ilum is a wasteland just like Tatooine except for levelers outside of Cree.

If you do go to Yavin 4, you can get some OWPVP going, but it will be shortlived. It will be you and however many Imps decide to stop doing what they are doing to hunt you down. and there will be more than you can handle simply because so few Repubs do OWPVP. And why are there so few doing OWPVP? Because there are so few Repubs left. You actually came at a bad time with 12 XP going on. You get a very false sense of an active Repub community. Once 12 XP is over, there will be quite a bit of time when the fleet Repub population will number in the single digits.

And if you do warzones on the Repub side, don't even bother queuing unless it is prime time. Again, you get a false sense of a active population because of 12 XP but once this is over, we go back to long queue times, partial teams, and undergeared team mates.

I agree with the OP. I truly miss the days of Wow where it added a bit of excitement not knowing if the enemy is around the corner or waiting behind some tree to attack me, or vice versa. : ) I'm on Bastion, a pvp server, and just recently I leveled a Bounty Hunter all the way from 1-60 and through the entire leveling process, I saw only 1, yes 1, member of the opposing faction in my journey. That was on Hoth. I think Bioware's idea of putting in phased area's that hide's you from each other, even though your both standing on the exact same spot ruined that pvp element in the game. I got burned out on WoW so I'll probably never go back but I do have fond memories of that play style. Here, all you have are weak enemy's that you just kill over and over that really don't leave a long lasting impression.

Yep, I started on a PVP server by invite of a friend, the strategy was PVP as endless endgame. Problem? I couldn't finish class missions getting ganked by 50s as a 25, etc. Annoying as ****. So unfortunately, I transferred out and am glad I did as well. Probably not as big of an issue now as it was, then.

There's this piece of PvP I feel like gets missed, uninvited slammajamma should be restricted to a level range, say for example +/- 5 levels. If you're a 50 and I'm a 25 no, you can't repeatedly gank me. I have to accept duel. If I'm a 45 or somewhere around there, then maybe it's fair game. I wouldn't mind that.

jmho

Edited by Code_Airwolf

I started this game on a PvP server, my first lvl 50 toon made it to that level despite all the hassle. Sadly I discovered that OWPvP was almost never fun battles between factions raging across the land, or chance met enemies battling to the death. It was all just over-leveled gankers in lower level zones, or those that would wait until you were almost dead from a mob and then attack for the gank.

Halfway though leveling my second character I decided to reroll on a PvE server, and it was the best decision ever. You can tell people who come to cry about it "boohoo, you shouldn't have rolled a PvP server if you don't like ganking" all you want, and you are absolutely correct. I never came here to cry about it, I just took the advice and left, like everyone else has. But you have come here to cry about it, so to you I say "boohoo, you can't tell everyone to leave if they don't like ganking, and then cry when they all do it".

Join a PvE server and go perma-flagged, you will find people that take advantage of it. Arrange open world battles, they do happen, and are much more fun than the kind of ganking and griefing that people on PvP servers appear to prefer. If ganking is what you are after, then go play a newly released MMO and join the PvP servers before they are old enough to kill themself off with the same behavior.

Edited by Karaiblis

I just recently started playing this game again a couple days ago, but I am deeply saddened by some experiences that used to be there that most likely will never return, most notably, world pvp.

Prophecy of the Five seems like an absolute wasteland. I miss the days of waiting in clutch locations on tatooine for my victims on a jedi shadow. There was so many players that you weren't safe at any point of any pvp planet...now, I'm lucky to find like 5 people on the empire side on tatooine and considering they are/were the most popular faction...i'm assuming there's a lot less on the republic.

It's a hard pill to swallow when that was literally the only thing I played the game for and it is forever gone. It's like when WoW became casual and southshore battles dissipated...now that was a stab in the gut and i'm kind of feeling the same way now.

EDIT: I should mention, other then the serious bugs back then, this game might've been something. The only reason I quit was because the game didn't run well and the bugs were pretty serious...it's sad to see what it has become. I truly think this game has came a long way and has improved a lot but unfortunately, unless they introduce like darth vader or something...it's going to be veryyy quiet..

Play a real PVP game instead of ganking scrubs, that's my advice.

Simple really, OWPVP is a VERY SMALL NICHE community and until you swell your ranks, you will be an ignored sector of the gaming community...especially in a PVE focused game.

Because TOR is first and foremost a story centric PVE game.

Everything else is secondary /BY DESIGN/.