Healing Guidelines

I was wondering after you have gotten your soft caps for crit surge etc roughly how much bonus healing should you be shooting for to heal TFBHM as a merc healer. Now i know i keep hearing oh pretty much all bh gear blah blah, but since gear is moddable and can have a mix of grades with mods and enhancements that can be very dicey.

So after caps how much bonus healing with only class buffs is a good start point for merc healing in tfbhm.

a good guideline for healing as a TP/BH is to get around 35% crit chance and get your surge from your enhancements (should be around 77-78% ) as well as alacrity but only in smaller selective amounts (at least untill 2.0 where it becomes much more usefull than surge) so ALLLL of your enhancements should be high power and high secondary (surge and alacrity) and then only a few of your mods should be crit with the rest being power.

i cannot remember the amount o bonus healing but if oyur in full 61 gear you should be fine

i have also a healer with 36% crit chance and surge 77%..i go now only for power. alacrity is class dependant in my opinion, since you don't want to burn recources faster than you build them unless you are in an emergency situation.

if you have a commando that builds ammo once every 2 seconds more less, you shouldn't cast MP faster than 1.7'' for example. then i observed that heals go for an amount around 10-15% for non-crit and 25-30% with a crit of the total hp you are healing, with the same commando 2500hp non-crit and 5000hp critting

What they said, but here's the thing:

Bonus healing comes from mainstat and power. Once you've hit your Crit target number (generally around 35% buffed), the rest of your stat points for the crit/power gear slot should go to Power. It's not competing with Surge, or Alacrity.

The "magic numbers" that most people end up at when they've hit the DR on Crit and Surge are: 35% Crit (buffed), 75% Surge.

Everything else should go Power and Alacrity. Probably mainstat augments, that's the way it is for 90% of non-tanking classes.

As for what particular number your bonus healing should look like, once you've gotten to that 35% crit, to do TFB HM... I honestly don't know. Probably at least 700, though - but that's going off the top of my head as a vague memory of what my healing Merc's is at in full 61/partial 63 gear. I think he's somewhere around 780.

In all honesty, unless you have the luxury or excess resources either through comms or guild schematics. Better to just get the highest level gear you can.

You have soft caps to shoot for of course (30%~ unbuffed crit, 75%~ surge, 4%~ alacrity) and want to stay away from the heavy endurance tank type mods, but still the higher level the gear the better.

Especially when it comes to endurance, because soft caps be damned the higher health pools you get from 61/63 gear is pretty important when it comes to giving you some leway with random aggro or a misplace AoE. So get the best gear you can, pump your mainstat, and worry about min/maxing your percentages once you have a stable foundation of 63 gear.

Min/maxing 58/61 gear is pretty pointless (unless maybe you're just completely stuck on new content and can only farm the lower level stuff) as well as being incredibly costly when you consider you're mod-ripping replaceable gear.

What they said, but here's the thing:

Bonus healing comes from mainstat and power. Once you've hit your Crit target number (generally around 35% buffed), the rest of your stat points for the crit/power gear slot should go to Power. It's not competing with Surge, or Alacrity.

The "magic numbers" that most people end up at when they've hit the DR on Crit and Surge are: 35% Crit (buffed), 75% Surge.

Everything else should go Power and Alacrity. Probably mainstat augments, that's the way it is for 90% of non-tanking classes.

This ^

Once you have BH keep working to getting BIS mods (mentioned in this thread and numorous threads in commando class section.). DG inserts crafted by players are relatively dirt cheap right now.

For healing with a merc/commando for TFB... A quick test would be to pull out a companion, buff up, stim up and start throwing hammer shot heals on your companion. Once your 30 charges build up, watch your numbers... If your low numbers (standard heal) are in the high 200s and your high numbers (healing CRIT) are in the low 500s then you should be geared enough for TFB HM. ***this is just a general gauge not a rule as skill accounts for just as much as gear***

A second test is TFB SM or HM EC. If you have healed for those with out constantly running out of ammo or feeling like you were struggling then I would say you are TFB HM ready.

IF* your group follows the mechanics, most HM ops are only a little harder to heal. You will need to bring your A-game though, as many TFB fights require constant cleanses amid solid healing.

Counter to several of the other replies on this thread, the ideal crit chance for a merc healer in BiS gear is about 45%, most of it from Aim. However, that much crit is hard to control, so I shoot for closer to 43% (fully buffed). You should augment fully for Aim, then stack enough crit mods/enhancements to take you up to 43-45%. Don't purposefully stack surge at all. It's a terrible stat in 63s and you have more than enough of it already. I run with almost 350 alacrity, which is difficult to manage, but provides a numerically superior contribution to healing than the equivalent boost in surge. The remainder of your stat budget should be in power.

If you're only in 61s, it's probably better to shoot for 40-41% crit, since your stat budget is significantly lower. Honestly, if you're in 61 mods and your crit is about at that level, you should be quite ready to heal TfB HM. Your main challenge is going to be the Dread Guard, which is the hardest fight in the game to heal in terms of sustained damage (NiM Kephess is harder for the burst). Good luck!

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Counter to several of the other replies on this thread, the ideal crit chance for a merc healer in BiS gear is about 45%, most of it from Aim. However, that much crit is hard to control, so I shoot for closer to 43% (fully buffed). You should augment fully for Aim, then stack enough crit mods/enhancements to take you up to 43-45%. Don't purposefully stack surge at all. It's a terrible stat in 63s and you have more than enough of it already. I run with almost 350 alacrity, which is difficult to manage, but provides a numerically superior contribution to healing than the equivalent boost in surge. The remainder of your stat budget should be in power.

If you're only in 61s, it's probably better to shoot for 40-41% crit, since your stat budget is significantly lower. Honestly, if you're in 61 mods and your crit is about at that level, you should be quite ready to heal TfB HM. Your main challenge is going to be the Dread Guard, which is the hardest fight in the game to heal in terms of sustained damage (NiM Kephess is harder for the burst). Good luck!

This, especially re: holding relatively high alacrity.

What does that much Alacrity put your cast speed increase at?

What does that much Alacrity put your cast speed increase at?

I don't take the alacrity talent in the Assault tree (I prefer to get the defensive talents in Combat Medic). My base cast reduction is 8.87%, which bumps to 13.87% with the proc (which is always up, given my crit %).

So you stack crit with no surge .... why? Without surge to boost the amount your crit hits for, critting more frequently is pointless. I'd much prefer to move those wasted crit points into power & surge (to soft cap) and have all my heals boosted plus know that when I crit it's going to be worth it.

So you stack crit with no surge .... why? Without surge to boost the amount your crit hits for, critting more frequently is pointless. I'd much prefer to move those wasted crit points into power & surge (to soft cap) and have all my heals boosted plus know that when I crit it's going to be worth it.

You can't move Crit into Surge. Only Power.

Surge competes with Alacrity.

Yes I know, perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. I'd switch some crit to power and some alacrity to surge.

I'm not against alacrity in the build but that comes after the surge soft cap is reached. And to clarify power will boost all heals, crit will just increase the chance to crit but again if you skip surge for alacrity you've achieved very little. Sure you'll crit more frequently and be casting marginally quicker but with reduced value on all heals due to having less power plus reduced value on crit heals due to lack of surge you'll have to spam heal to keep up and thus have a harder time maintaining heat/ammo.

Worth mentioning to the OP - the value in your bonus healing is the exact non-crit amount that your rapid shot/hammer shot will heal for.

Yes I know, perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. I'd switch some crit to power and some alacrity to surge.

I'm not against alacrity in the build but that comes after the surge soft cap is reached. And to clarify power will boost all heals, crit will just increase the chance to crit but again if you skip surge for alacrity you've achieved very little. Sure you'll crit more frequently and be casting marginally quicker but with reduced value on all heals due to having less power plus reduced value on crit heals due to lack of surge you'll have to spam heal to keep up and thus have a harder time maintaining heat/ammo.

Worth mentioning to the OP - the value in your bonus healing is the exact non-crit amount that your rapid shot/hammer shot will heal for.

We are talking after the Surge soft cap. I'm unsure on the Crit thing myself, but my crit hovers around 39.xx% tech when I'm heal-specced and have my Matrix cube on. Gonna try adjusting that either up or down to see what changes it makes, after reading this.

I've got about the same Alacrity the other guy said, with still 77.xx% Crit Multiplier.

Surge above 350 on live means very, very little. The DR basically assassinates you and then stomps on your bleeding corpse. Even if all you're looking at is average heal contribution over time, a 300/300 balance of surge/alacrity provides *significantly* higher throughput than 600/0. Kitru did the math on this over in the healing forums on a thread in which commando healers were enjoined to take no alacrity whatsoever.

Honestly, if you're still stacking surge over 350, you're practically wasting stat points. That's ok, we're all over-statted in that slot anyway, but be aware of what you're doing.