I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

Indeed. But let's play a mini-game here to make my point clear:

-You can make a massive announcement for all the internet (youtube, google....what you want).

-Swtor's fate depends of your announcement. If people don't join this game because your announcement SWTOR dies.

-You have to chose one of these features to announce:

- We have SGR.

-We have PVP space battles.

What would you choose?

SGR

We can all play that game. Not everyone will choose PvP, as you seem to be OH SO CONFIDANT at expecting.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were not given precedence over other "far more needed features". Here's the list of the 78 separate patches that have gone live as a reminder:

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

That includes the six major content patches:

snip...

Thank you for your respectful contribution.

I am not saying that everything else has been ignored. All I am saying is that I believe that SGRs do something for such a small portion of the fan base. There are things like guild functionality, server transfers and optimization issues (just to name a few) that I believe that would have done way more for the masses.

- We have SGR.

What would you choose?

They announce whatever it is that they have coming up next, and in this case it's a new planet, with new story, new companions with more options, level cap, new abilities, new quest mechanics, and whatever else they're planning on announcing. They don't need to announce SGRs. It's just extended options related to story choices.

The department that has been working on the "super space project" isn't the same people that work on story content and they're obviously not ready to release it, and that possibly isn't even PVP related (since we know NOTHING about the SSSP other than that it's not anything like the current on rail space game). The engine may not even be capable of pvp space combat as it is.

There is a single mega-thread on SGRAs in the Lore forum, true.

And roughly half of the posters in that thread argue with the cadre of vocal proponents.

If given the choice between a PVP balance patch and full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

Given a choice between individualized Chapter 4s with the continuation of existing Companion arcs or full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

New Flashpoints vs. SGRA?

New Operation vs. SGRA?

I am sorry, while there is a vocal minority of the playerbase that values this above the rest a quick glance across these forums demonstrates that the priorities of the majority-vocal playerbase is PVP balance and new story content.

Same-Gender Romance Arcs are generally sought...but not at the expense of the other content.

And yes, given the reality of financial-support development time spent on SGRAs is development time not spent on other story content by definition.

Bioware needs to balance PVP, address the multitude of year-old bugs, optimize its client, fulfill its obligations to the CE community, and then it can address SGRA along with new story content.

There is a single mega-thread on SGRAs in the Lore forum, true.

And roughly half of the posters in that thread argue with the cadre of vocal proponents.

If given the choice between a PVP balance patch and full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

Given a choice between individualized Chapter 4s with the continuation of existing Companion arcs or full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

New Flashpoints vs. SGRA?

New Operation vs. SGRA?

I am sorry, while there is a vocal minority of the playerbase that values this above the rest a quick glance across these forums demonstrates that the priorities of the majority-vocal playerbase is PVP balance and new story content.

Same-Gender Romance Arcs are generally sought...but not at the expense of the other content.

And yes, given the reality of financial-support development time spent on SGRAs is development time not spent on other story content by definition.

Bioware needs to balance PVP, address the multitude of year-old bugs, optimize its client, fulfill its obligations to the CE community, and then it can address SGRA along with new story content.

This. This sumarizes the whole purpose of this thread.

Wow this post has gone on quite a while. SGRs win. Seriously. Just let them be satisfied with their lines and dark fade "love" scenes with the same gender. I personally don't see the hype, but you can tell that this fanbase should be satisfied. We people who care about the base content do have a lot of new gear, PVP Maps, Operations, and it is a Bioware game. Give them what they want already. :p

Again, it is simply a tiny part of the story updates. Operation and warzone teams are continually working on that content. Makeb was intended to be a major story update that started production a year ago. A HUGE number of people playing this game want story updates, even if it's not class story.

This is like complaining that Karagga's Palace was a waste of time as a whole operation because it drops Karagga's Hat and it's just a funny cosmetic piece and they wasted time designing that hat.

A SGR compatible character WAS NOT MADE AT THE EXPENSE OF FLASHPOINTS AND OPERATIONS.

This is total apples and oranges in production.

Edited by chuixupu

this is truly making a mountain out of a mole hill.

you want to know how much effort it will have taken to introduce this? the 2 normal NPCs that would be romanceable will now be coded to allow the romance dialog no matter which gender you are. that's it. the voicework will be gender neutral so it won't matter if they're talking to a male or a female. done.

they would have been doing the new voice work for the expansion regardless, now those dialog options won't be gender restricted. no extra work, no precious resources being diverted.

this is truly making a mountain out of a mole hill.

you want to know how much effort it will have taken to introduce this? the 2 normal NPCs that would be romanceable will now be coded to allow the romance dialog no matter which gender you are. that's it. the voicework will be gender neutral so it won't matter if they're talking to a male or a female. done.

they would have been doing the new voice work for the expansion regardless, now those dialog options won't be gender restricted. no extra work, no precious resources being diverted.

I don't lke the idea of changing current companions "personality"...Doc a man flirting with every woman npc's I talk with wouldn't fit....same for Trisha or Mako who is in love with another BH comp. They wouldn't fit into a SGR withouth LOT of changes. And those changes shouldn't be done.

Add whatever you want to new companions...but don't touch our current ones. We love them the way they are now.

Edited by Royox

Indeed. But let's play a mini-game here to make my point clear:

-You can make a massive announcement for all the internet (youtube, google....what you want).

-Swtor's fate depends of your announcement. If people don't join this game because your announcement SWTOR dies.

- We have SGR.

What would you choose?

Different Departments handles the Space Content and even then, writing what is said during the Space Missions and putting Voice Overs take less time then it does with creating SGR's. Even less time if they ever did PvP Space Battles. So yeah, that isn't exactly a fair comparison to use,

Oh and people wanting SGR's had waited a lot longer considering there is still Space Content in the Game, since the Game went Live. Now while there aren't any PvP Space stuff, there is no way to know that it is included in the SSSP. Speaking of which, the SSSP has it's own team devoted to it, so yeah.

Right. On that note, I know a ton of people who, like me, love the Seahawks. That doesn't make us Seahawk fans a majority of the people around. You have also again failed to realize that this thread is not a debate on whether or not SGRs belong in the game. This thread is about their misplaced priority. Please keep on topic.

It doesn't matter what department works on what. What matters is that it takes resources to put in the work. I don't condone any resources whatsoever going toward satiating such a small amount of the playerbase with SGRs over other much-needed things that resources could have gone to.

I've been saying this through multiple threads. The issue I have with SGRA has nothing to do with societal, moral, or political ideologies; it has everything to do with SGRA being a very poor use of finite resources.

The existing romance arcs are shallow at best. The have no impact on your character's overall story. The relationships developed with your companions are no where near akin to Anakin and Padme. Once played through they cannot be replayed unless you roll a new toon. It will not help this game grow in any measurable way and it caters to a very small, but vocal, minority.

When mentioned in fleet chat, most players are baffled that BW would waste time and resources on such a thing when so many other glaring mechanics are missing. Most people couldn't care less about SGRA in general, but, again, do care that the game lacks optimization and many mechanics. There isn't a single undeveloped mechanic or missing feature that should be placed on the back burner or shelved, even temporarily, for romance arcs of any kind.

Ultimately BW should've never introduced romance arcs. They've opened an issue that has no way of being resolved with both sides being happy. However, people interested in SGR are able to roleplay it with other players and/or have same gender spouses via legacy.

This is a Star Wars MMO not a romance simulator.

Different Departments handles the Space Content and even then, writing what is said during the Space Missions and putting Voice Overs take less time then it does with creating SGR's. Even less time if they ever did PvP Space Battles. So yeah, that isn't exactly a fair comparison to use,

Oh and people wanting SGR's had waited a lot longer considering there is still Space Content in the Game, since the Game went Live. Now while there aren't any PvP Space stuff, there is no way to know that it is included in the SSSP. Speaking of which, the SSSP has it's own team devoted to it, so yeah.

But u get the point of whitch one of the 2 choices would make a massive number of players to come to swtor right? That was what I'm trying to say. I know there are diferent teams doing diferent stuff.

Those are basically different departments that handles all of those. Also, we will likely get new Flashpoints with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion and we just got a new Operation or two.

But u get the point of whitch one of the 2 choices would make a massive number of players to come to swtor right? That was what I'm trying to say. I know there are diferent teams doing diferent stuff.

No cause no one actually knows the exact number of Players who will play either of those.

I don't lke the idea of changing current companions "personality"...Doc a man flirting with every woman npc's I talk with wouldn't fit...

Agreed, and they aren't going to do that. That would be, as the writers themselves said in the past, bad writing.

How many gay players are there?:eek:

Bioware probably has a good number of LGBT fans, since it's something they have traditionally supported in their games. But gay players aren't the only people who like that content. A lot of us straight people actually like the idea of having more romance options for our characters, and like the idea of making a character LGBT for RPG fun. Most straight gamers I know personally totally support it, even if it's just that stereotypical dude who likes lesbians.

Edited by chuixupu

No cause no one actually knows the exact number of Players who will play either of those.

You can't be serious. I thought you were someone we could speak to about this topic....I gess not.

So....PEW PEW PEW space battles vs "kissing options" and you say me this "no one actually knows the exact number of players"..........

Edited by Royox

I've been saying this through multiple threads. The issue I have with SGRA has nothing to do with societal, moral, or political ideologies; it has everything to do with SGRA being a very poor use of finite resources.

The existing romance arcs are shallow at best. The have no impact on your character's overall story. The relationships developed with your companions are no where near akin to Anakin and Padme. Once played through they cannot be replayed unless you roll a new toon. It will not help this game grow in any measurable way and it caters to a very small, but vocal, minority.

When mentioned in fleet chat, most players are baffled that BW would waste time and resources on such a thing when so many other glaring mechanics are missing. Most people couldn't care less about SGRA in general, but, again, do care that the game lacks optimization and many mechanics. There isn't a single undeveloped mechanic or missing feature that should be placed on the back burner or shelved, even temporarily, for romance arcs of any kind.

Ultimately BW should've never introduced romance arcs. They've opened an issue that has no way of being resolved with both sides being happy. However, people interested in SGR are able to roleplay it with other players and/or have same gender spouses via legacy.

This is a Star Wars MMO not a romance simulator.

And yet, it is a BioWare MMO, so you know, it was kind of expected considering the majority of BioWare Games have had, you know, Romances in them, including SGR's

You can't be serious. I thought you were someone we could speak to about this topic....I gess not.

Ah, but unlike TheBBP and a couple of other peoples, I won't say my thoughts on the number of Players who will use SGRA's for no other reason but because I wouldn't be able to back up the number that I gave. Which is something that TheBBP refuses to provide when asked to, even asked respectively to stop saying that it is a "small amount" when he has no actual knowledge or anything

And yet, it is a BioWare MMO, so you know, it was kind of expected considering the majority of BioWare Games have had, you know, Romances in them, including SGR's

Which is fine for a single player BW game. This is a MMO, with a different set of expectations that come with the territory. Many of those basic expectations have not been. Many of those expectations are required (hence expected) to make a MMO competitive in a market that has become over saturated.

Which is fine for a single player BW game. This is a MMO, with a different set of expectations that come with the territory. Many of those basic expectations have not been. Many of those expectations are required (hence expected) to make a MMO competitive in a market that has become over saturated.

And yet it is the in-depth storyline, voice overs, companion romances & romances in general, that separate it from being just another MMO like almost every MMO have become or called just another "WoW Clone".

Ah, but unlike TheBBP and a couple of other peoples, I won't say my thoughts on the number of Players who will use SGRA's for no other reason but because I wouldn't be able to back up the number that I gave. Which is something that TheBBP refuses to provide when asked to, even asked respectively to stop saying that it is a "small amount" when he has no actual knowledge or anything

But some times you have to be logical.

In this world Pew pew pew stuff >>> Romance Stuff

But some times you have to be logical.

In this world Pew pew pew stuff >>> Romance Stuff

No not really when you consider Star Wars has always had Romance in it, whether it be in the Movies, the Cartoon Network Series, the Books/Comics. So logically it would have Romances in them in some form.

Edited by Altyrell

And yet it is the in-depth storyline, voice overs, companion romances & romances in general, that separate it from being just another MMO like almost every MMO have become or called just another "WoW Clone".

While this is technically true, in NO way would this be a unique feature that is going to result in the growth of this game. Endgame content, an optimized engine, mini games, and balanced gameplay are just a few of the things that attract players. SGRA will cater to a minority of the playerbase and offer no measurable growth to the game.

As I said above, I am not opposed to the idea of SGRA in general. However, I am opposed to it while many basic features are missing and we ARE losing players due to a lack of enough endgame pve content among many other mechanics.

Edited by Telaan