Ability to turn XP Off

Fireswraith

I would like to see some sort of way to turn XP off. The reason for this being PvP Warzone related. Some may have come to the same thought that I have, I play with a bunch of people that feel the same way, but lower level PvP has kind of become more fun than lvl 50 stuff; everyone is on the same field and you're not trying to go up against Valor Rank 100 full War Hero people and getting roflstomped. Others may recognize this from DAoC, where you could turn off XP gains and stay in the Battlegrounds forever; and they were hugely popular.

So this is something I think would be a nie addition, being able to turn XP off.

While I think some folks wold sit at level 49 to whoop up on the Warzones I still agree with this. Being able to turn off XP gains has a lot of advantages in being able to stay near a freinds level if they can play less frequently etc.

And since commendations/warzone tokens are limited in the number you can acquire, no real huge deal here. Sure some people will buy stuff and then reacquire and buy stuff but really thats no different than any other farming people do to get their companions outfitted.

No, this would be a bad idea. People twinked out at 49 sitting in sub-50 destrying the opposition. Sub-50 is already fun and adding something like this would ruin it completely.

no, this concern is based on the misconception that you can only level a character via War Zones, which isn't the case.

This concern is more applicable towards getting War Hero gear, where the situation may be that you and everyone else from your faction online at the moment have Recruit Gear only, while the opponents are fully equiped with War Hero gear, and the only manner in which you can aquire War Hero gear in which to become more competitve, is by continuously playing the group of opponents who are better geared than you. But this is not the case in sub-50 model, as there are other ways in which to gain experience besides just War Zones.

So instead getting handed your head on the plate by level 50 PvP veterans there would also be a group of people twinked out and doing the same to the 10-49 bracket? Would you please provide an idea how to prevent that in addition to your request?

As it is, I cannot see any other long term effect than ruining 10-49 WZs for anyone except folks who wants to dominate this bracket (but for some reason do not want to do it with lev 50s).

I am leveling in PvE doing occassionally a WZ daily and I am afraid this idea would prevent me from doing any PvP because there is no fun in being constantly overpowered by 49-twinks. I would like to hear some arguments to convince me to the idea of XP-lock.

I am not really sure but;

If the people asking for it might then resubscribe instead of leaving the game, then I am for it. The current lvl 50 gearing system is NOT keeping enough in the game, virtually anything that keeps players gets my vote.

I would like to see some sort of way to turn XP off. The reason for this being PvP Warzone related. Some may have come to the same thought that I have, I play with a bunch of people that feel the same way, but lower level PvP has kind of become more fun than lvl 50 stuff; everyone is on the same field and you're not trying to go up against Valor Rank 100 full War Hero people and getting roflstomped. Others may recognize this from DAoC, where you could turn off XP gains and stay in the Battlegrounds forever; and they were hugely popular.

So this is something I think would be a nie addition, being able to turn XP off.

I agree but I think xp turn off should be limited to level 30 or lower!

Go over 30 and you cant stop the xp so you WILL NOT have a Warzone full of purple uber 49.9999s dominating the level 10s-30s simply because they shut xp off at the last possible second.

For the record Id totally roll a merc character and shut him off at 30 and id have a absolute blast with it.

As for DAoC, its the perfect example of why the turn off has to be lower

The DAoC Warzones were filled with players at max xp before dinging tweaked out in uber gear all so they could farm the not tweaked out lower level players. It pretty much destroyed DAoCs warzones for all but a select few hardcore in the end!

So im all for being able to turn xp off so you can stay in the pre 50 Warzones. I just think it should be at a substancially earlier level setting so you miss some of the later skills/abilities that those who dont turn xp off will enjoy over you.

Other wise your just asking to be allowed to have a character with all the benefits, none of the drawbacks, at the cost of normal players!

And that ill ALWAYS be against!

so instead of you getting destroyed by players who have played more level 50 pvp matches (meaning they have more gear) you want to play against low levels peresumably at 49 with tweaked out gear.

how does that sound fair to the players below you?

unless you then make it so no one can wear any armor and can only use their basic attack to make it even :D

why assume that individuals will prefer to stay at level 49 than move on to 50? The concept behind the suggestion is to reduce the xp from sub-50 PVP to maintain the integrety of the sub-50 PVE experience. The concerns regarding over geared levels 49s is valid, but at this point it is simply theoretical, while we do know that the reason for the thread is beyond a theory; it is actually already happening. To prevent abuse, then there would need to be an incentive offered to move on to 50, but incentives do already exist though, such as better gear availability and Legacy benefits. Edited by octagramt

That wouldn't change anything either, cause people (like in WoW) will turn off their XP at the top of the bracket, twink and look, same problem!

WoW isn't the only MMO. DAoC's Battlegrounds worked fine (Long before WoW).

Being at the upper level of a range doesn't make you automatic top dog. It could likely be very easy to break up the ranges to the number of _skills_ and output across classes is fairly equal within the range. So while being the 'top level' fr your range might make it slightly easier, the disparity is not as great.

The argument about planetary quests is convincing, there is too much XP in there at the moment and after clearing one I often was overleveled for next.

I do not see arguments about WZs though that would prevent 49 twinks deterring anyone from playing WZs. They can do PvP alot on 50 with more challenging opponents.

But I like the idea of XP lock until lev 30 for PvP.

Even though twink means a very well geared character it also has another sexual meaning. Basically the word should be censored.

Other than that, I agree. Remove xp gains. And, it should be done for pve as well to make sure that if a person is at lvl 49, they can still fnish their class story but remain at the lvl they want to be in.

Also allows people to explore and to collect datacrons without getting exp as well.

The one problem with this, as others have mentioned, is the probability of its abuse to create twinks by people. It's almost guaranteed to happen, and then the level 1-49 bracket becomes a mirror of the 50 bracket. I agree that level 49 is not an automatic promotion to unstoppable, but the character then grinds gear and eventually they have the best of what is available to level 49 and stomp everyone who is not similarly equipped.

The only real solution is to eliminate expertise and install a cap on PvE gear stats so people compete at the same level in terms of gear, which SWTOR will never do because they are too busy copying WoW's model. Then gear becomes more of a PvE and vanity concern. I understand why you want to turn XP off, but in the long run it's not a good idea.

Edited by RobNightfall

The one problem with this, as others have mentioned, is the probability of its abuse to create twinks by people. It's almost guaranteed to happen, and then the level 1-49 bracket becomes a mirror of the 50 bracket. I agree that level 49 is not an automatic promotion to unstoppable, but the character then grinds gear and eventually they have the best of what is available to level 49 and stomp everyone who is not similarly equipped.

The only real solution is to eliminate expertise and install a cap on PvE gear stats so people compete at the same level in terms of gear, which SWTOR will never do because they are too busy copying WoW's model. Then gear becomes more of a PvE and vanity concern. I understand why you want to turn XP off, but in the long run it's not a good idea.

Basically this

Twinking made wow pvp no fun for me. Being able to turn off xp gain would lead to people sitting at 49 and getting the best armor/mods/weapons/etc and then having an advantage over other people. Im sorry that people are getting overleveled from doing warzones, but if you are playing warzones, doing your daily, class quests, and most planetary quests, you're doing approximately twice the content per level that the xp requirements for levels are expecting.

I should have thought of this sooner: Make the amount of xp to gain a level much higher, so you can get to do all the content without becoming overleveled.

but they have all this content and different stuff so you can CHOOSE what you want to do to level up