Why the SI story didn't work.

Leolab

After thinking about the SI story a little, and why most people hate it in the forums, I think I have found an answer, one that's related to the AC options for Consular and Inquisitor.

The AC options have opposite approaches to how they operate: the Assassin/Shadow strikes where they are told with brute force, while the Sorcerer/Sage attempt to find the mysteries of the force. The Consular story was written for a Sage and the character's "personality" was that of a sage. The Inq has the story of a Sorc with the persoanlity of a Sin. That, I think, is why the story fell flat to many users.

I think primarily the Sith Inquisitor story failed because the Sith Inquisitor primarily spends a lot of his time finding relics of the dark side and forbiddden Force rituals instead of doing what Sidious does: manipulating and pulling strings. Instead, the Inquisitor is the one having his strings pulled and being manipulated.

I don't know, I always played a sorc so I never really noticed. My problem with the SI story was always more of a problem with alignment. To me it felt like the first part of the SI story was just made for snarky LS play, but when you get into the mid and late game it felt like there wasn't an LS way to play it that didn't feel stupid. It really felt like the story was incomplete. Like LS options should have been on the table but they didn't have time to put them in so if wanted to play LS you were stuck with a bunch of half-assed tacked on bits to what was an otherwise an average DS story.

I think primarily the Sith Inquisitor story failed because the Sith Inquisitor primarily spends a lot of his time finding relics of the dark side and forbiddden Force rituals instead of doing what Sidious does: manipulating and pulling strings. Instead, the Inquisitor is the one having his strings pulled and being manipulated.

What this person said I played SI to level 50 twice and I agree completely the SW does the SI job better. Heck even the IA is better at manipulating than the SI. Even at some point in the BH story the BH does a better job at being a manipulator (BH hostage scene corellia).

Watching the SI story trailer and reading the interviews about the SI story I just facepalm at the lies and deceit. :(

Edited by lokdron

I wouldn't go as far to say it doesn't work, the SI inquisitor story is great. The problem is that everyone seems to do the ordering/decision-making/manipulating on your behalf, which makes it feel a bit lacking. Other than that, I found the SI story is very much about power plays and stuff, while SW is just go there, do that, leave all the thinking to your master. But then again, so far I've only played the SW to chapter 1 - so maybe that will change

I agree.

I didn't dislike the SI story but instead of being the spider in charge of the web you were the fly stuck in it struggling to get out.

What this person said I played SI to level 50 twice and I agree completely the SW does the SI job better. Heck even the IA is better at manipulating than the SI. Even at some point in the BH story the BH does a better job at being a manipulator (BH hostage scene corellia).

Watching the SI story trailer and reading the interviews about the SI story I just facepalm at the lies and deceit. :(

So I guess the marketing department are the real SI's hummm?

. Other than that, I found the SI story is very much about power plays and stuff, while SW is just go there, do that, leave all the thinking to your master.

Power plays? Like in Alderaan where you are supposed to convince this Alderaan noble to do something, and the inquisitor solution is to go to their base, beat everyone and order them to do it? (The standard sneak-em-up solution in MMOs too: kill everyone.)

EDIT: ok that might have been a planet quest, but still.

That is sooo inquisitor like yeah..

Edited by Karkais

Yeah, swtor would be a lot better if sub-quests where more tailored to the character doing them. But its an MMO, so there's not much they can do :p

I think that was a class quest on Alderaan. Where you storm the Organa's territory, and then basically beat a woman into calling down her ex to the planet so you can kill him.

No twisting of words, elaborate scheme or anything just

*WHACK!* DO IT!?

*Crying* OH GOD! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!

*WHACK!* SUMMON HIM!

*Sobs* OK... fine... I'll do it.

I think that was a class quest on Alderaan. Where you storm the Organa's territory, and then basically beat a woman into calling down her ex to the planet so you can kill him.

No twisting of words, elaborate scheme or anything just

*WHACK!* DO IT!?

*Crying* OH GOD! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!

*WHACK!* SUMMON HIM!

*Sobs* OK... fine... I'll do it.

Their are other options for that conversation including manipulating that women's love for the person you need to kill. In the end she calls him out of her own accord. What do you mean their is no twisting of words?Its strange however how many manipulations for the SI are LS

Their are other options for that conversation including manipulating that women's love for the person you need to kill. In the end she calls him out of her own accord. What do you mean their is no twisting of words?Its strange however how many manipulations for the SI are LS

Well light-side would make it a big no-no for me, but I remember something to the effect you described, only that when the woman went "No! I won't do it!" then you have no option than to spank her..

The sorcerer also has no option to get to her base than to beat his way through. I certainly wouldn't listen much to somebody who just destroyed my defenses and guardians.. This is sith warrior stuff.

This is a great example of whats wrong in the inquisitor story.

Edited by Karkais

I think the thing is, it's an origin story. Arguably more so than any of the other class stories I've seen so far.

It's about *how* your Inquisitor becomes this shadowy, powerful-yet-out-of-nowhere manipulative presence who's just beginning his or her reign of terror- or reform, depending on alignment- with Corellia.

On the one hand- after years of being manipulated, the Inquisitor's *finally* master or mistress of their own destiny now- so it's clear the tables are going to turn.

On the other hand, the irony is that, despite being pushed from pillar to post, tricked, deceived, harried by necessity and stumbling along out of control for most of his or her life... the things the Inquisitor has managed to *do* have created the impression in the eyes of everybody *else* that he or she is a master manipulator.

You rose up out of nothing and somehow convinced a minor Sith Lord to take you as her apprentice, killing the favoured candidate and binding a legendary force-user eating demon to your service. You- whilst a lowly young apprentice- killed a strong Darth- and managed to frame your master for it in the public eye *despite* there being plenty of witnesses placing her elsewhere at the time, it only being realised later that it must have been *you* that did it. You breached the Dark Temple and retrieved an unknown artefact of immense power.

You, still only an apprentice, brutally crushed the resistance on Balmorra. You became a messiah on Nar Shadaa, won the war on Alderaan, and then slew your master to take her place- yet somehow regained your access to her knowledge and experience. You *eat* ghosts and bind their power to your will. The Voss revere you as a mystic. You seized and took charge of a superweapon that looks set to change the course of the war... and finally, you not only survived a vendetta from a supremely powerful Darth, but also made him run and destroyed him, taking his place on the Dark Council.

Yes, *you* know that there was no real long term game plan, that most of these things were either done under orders, weren't your idea at all, or were mistakes/side effects... that the formidable presence you somehow daunted in the temple daunted *himself* and probably wants you to call him Grandpa, etc etc... that your only real 'great' breakout moment, prior to Thanaton's demise, was something Moff Pyron handed to you on a plate- ironically because *he* was impressed with all your other previous achievements, impressed enough to believe you could beat Thanaton... but other people don't.

Maybe that's the point? Maybe the 'message' of that story is that, just possibly, machiavellian manipulators frequently are people who are just very, very good at "riding" coincidences and coming out on top.

I have enjoyed the SI Story just fine (yes I think the JC Story is better). Also you need to remember that in order to be the one Manipulating and Pulling the strings you have to get into the position to do that and THAT is what the SI Story is about. You going from practically nothing to one of the most powerful and influential individuals in the Empire. Also the story has not felt suited to one specific advanced class the same with the JC either Advanced class works well with the dialogue. However it feels more right when you choose Darkside choices with the SI than the JC.

Currently, the SI story is about acquiring power. The SI will no doubt become the master manipulater in future chapters. I do believe that the JC story is better (don't understand all the hate for it) but the SI story is a long term plan. It's one of those stories where you won't see true results for quite some time. Something that a master manipulator plans for.

I really liked the inquisitor story, but what I didn't like is that there was no real conflict with the republic.

Without spoiling, the only class stories that really hurt the republic is primarily CH3 Bounty hunter, a little CH2 agent, and very little ch2warrior, while inquisitor had none, really.

I really liked the inquisitor story, but what I didn't like is that there was no real conflict with the republic.

Without spoiling, the only class stories that really hurt the republic is primarily CH3 Bounty hunter, a little CH2 agent, and very little ch2warrior, while inquisitor had none, really.

You could argue the Warrior, given what happens.

And the thing about "aquiring power" as the main focus of the story... that's the story of the Warrior too, it's just that he's going about it like more of a Lord than the Inquisitor is.

Currently, the SI story is about acquiring power.

And ironically a LOT of other characters are all telling the inquisitor what the next step is.. He doesn't figure out a single thing on his own iirc. Forgive me if that does not make me feel all that special.

All the stuff about gathering power he gets from Zash, basically. If he goes to Thanatons library to find secrets, he brings them back to Zash to read. Its sad.

Edited by Karkais

I thoroughly enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor storyline, compared to Jedi Consular, Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior. Mostly because of the epic voice acting and dialogues, though. "The screams, the fires-- beautiful stuff." "I am not cute. I am deadly." "How dare you torture someone without me!" Oh dear, now I want to level up another Sith Inquisitor (I moved to a new server and can't move my original Sorcerer to it).

Disagree, Warrior

Kills the top three generals in the Republic(War Trust)

Kills Admiral Monk decorated war hero (although a spy)

Converts a deception reading Jedi

Kills Xerendar and an immensely powerful Jedi Master who were going to escape Hoth

Stops a general who was immense to the rim world defense.

I could go on about all four of them...

The SI story is an underdog story. You go from being a slave to one of the most powerful individuals in the Sith Order. I think the story had a genuine simplistic goodness to it. It didn't go too deeply into Sith or Imperial politics. It was about exploring the different sides of the Force and acquiring power to crush your enemies in true Sith fashion.

It isn't the most flashy of the 8 storylines but that is what makes it special.

Edited by SmugglersLuck

I think the whole manipulating/pulling strings storyline was taken by the Imperial Agent which is integral to everything you do. BW obviously wanted to make all the classes different, BH is an independent class, IA is manipulative, SW is about crushing the Empires enemies, so the SI class has to be about gaining power which I think is done pretty well in the story.

Now you've acquired power however I'd like to see a change in focus, power plays with other council members would be interesting - secret alliances, betrayal and backstabbing, spats in Council meetings, that sort of thing, looking forward to 1.4 :D