Fairy Tales from Voss and other planets

Maaruin

I really like reading and writing fanfic, but unfortunately I don't have that much writing discipline. So I decided to start a series of smaller tales. In universe, these are mostly stories told on Voss, though other planets might also come up. They have been translated by the Jedi culturel explorers Teeriada and Zusmieston Sadianthi. The commented accademic version keeps with the Voss speach pattern and and many Voss terminology. This version however is modified to fit Basic and keeps the use Voss terminology at an understandable level. Voss-specific words are explained in the appendix (SWTOR Codex).

"This collection will give children an insight into a foreign culture on a different level. I hope that through this book understanding and tolerance for other species will grow. The republic needs it if it wants to survive." - Sophia Farash, Republic Ambassador on Voss

Fairy Tales from Voss and other plants

The wise daughter

There once lived a man in the woods who had four children. The three oldest were sons who had grown to respected men. The fourth was a daughter, not yet of age. The father was a mystic.

The first son was a fierce warrior, a Commando of Voss-Ka. He had fought seven battles against the Gormak and ambushed them once. He had also slain seven Techno-Beasts and one Gormak hero. One day the father had a vision: He saw his son wandering into the Nightmare Lands and finding a mighty weapon. Fearless as always, the son packed his gear, bid farewell to his family and left the next day.

In the Nightmare Lands Sel-Makor saw him. He turned himself invisible. Then he whispered to the son:

“Honored One, what leads you into these lands?”

“My father saw me finding a mighty weapon,” answered the son.

“Then continue your search, and you will find it,” said Sel-Makor.

Sel-Makor then went ahead and turned himself into a weapon, deadlier than any weapon ever seen on Voss.

When the son saw the weapon, he spoke: “This must be the mighty weapon, my father saw in his vision.”

But when he bow down to take the weapon, Sel-Makor grabbed him and devoured him.

He never returned and his family mourned him for three months.

Then, the father had a vision about his second son. The second son was a clever merchant who had traveled all of Voss to buy and sell. He had made an amount of forty gold ducat and one precious crystal. Now his father saw him wandering into the Nightmare Lands and finding a chest full of gold ducats and another precious crystal. Now fear grew in the second sons heart. His brother hadn't returned from his quest, and he feared the same fate. But visions have to be followed, so he packed his gear, bid farewell to his family and left the next day.

In the Nightmare Lands Sel-Makor saw him. He turned himself invisible. Then he whispered to the son:

“My father saw me finding a chest full of gold and a precious crystal,” answered the son.

“Then continue your search, and you will find it,” said Sel-Makor.

Sel-Makor then went ahead and turned himself into a chest, full of gold ducats and one precious crystal.

When the son saw the chest, he spoke: “This must be the chest, my father saw in his vision. I will take it and leave as fast as I can.”

But when he bow down to take the chest, Sel-Makor grabbed him and devoured him.

He never returned and his family mourned him for three and one months.

Then, the father had a vision about his third son. The second son was a young men, not even married yet. Three had rejected him and the fourth had simply turned around and left. Now his father saw him wandering into the Nightmare Lands and and finding a Voss-woman who was lost there. Now father became very sad, because this was his last son. His brother hadn't returned from his quest, and he feared the same fate. But visions have to be followed, so he told his son.

“I won't find a wife here, so your vision fills me with hope,” for in his mind he saw himself as a hero who rescued a woman from the Nightmare lands and made her his wife. So he packed his gear, bid farewell to his family and left the next day.

“My father saw me finding a Voss-woman who is lost here,” answered the son.

“Then continue your search, and you will find her,” said Sel-Makor.

Sel-Makor then went ahead and turned himself into a beautiful woman who crossed his path and called for help.

When the son saw her, he said: “Don't be afraid, I am here to rescue you.”

“Please, bring me out of here, fast,” said the woman and reached for his hand.

But when he toke her hand, Sel-Makor grabbed him and devoured him.

He never returned and his family mourned him for three and two months.

So when the father had a vision of his daughter, he did not tell her at first. He kept it in his heart and only became even more sad. But the vision, kept for himself made him ill, so when he laid on his bed, he finally told her.

His daughter was brave, clever and beautiful, but she was still a child. “What did you see about me,” she asked. “Will I die too?”

“I saw you going into the Nightmare Lands and finding a hand carved necklace,” he said. “This is all I see.”

The daughter sighed, but then she said: “Visions have to be followed.” And so she packed her gear, bid farewell to her father and left the next day.

When she reached the Nightmare Lands, Sel-Makor smiled. He would devour her too and the father would die of grief.

So he made himself invisible and whispered to her. “Young Lady, what brings you into these lands. They are no place for a girl of your age.”

“May father saw a vision of me finding a carved necklace here,” she said. “And visions have to be followed.”

“You are a virtuous to follow a vision here and you are brave to enter these lands,” he said. “Go on, you will find it along the way.”

Then Sel-Makor went ahead and turned himself into the carved necklace to devour her too.

But the daughter was wiser than all her brothers. When she saw the necklace, she said. “At last, the vision is fulfilled. I have found the carved necklace my father spoke of.” And she turned around and left the Nightmare Lands as fast as she could.

So she fulfilled the vision and Sel-Makor did not get her and when she returned to her father, he was exuberantly happy to see her alive, so they reveled for three and three months.

Edited by Maaruin

A clever idea, I shall look forward to seeing more. Every culture needs its myths and legends and fairy tales and this has a very authentic fairy tale feel to it :)

[A couple of proof reading notes: In the section about the second son, he found the chest but called it the weapon which the first son found. Also you've inadvertently repeated the whole section about the third son, and called him the second son in the second sentence. Sorry for being nit-picky, I have to do a fair amount of document review in my job!]

A clever idea, I shall look forward to seeing more. Every culture needs its myths and legends and fairy tales and this has a very authentic fairy tale feel to it :)

[A couple of proof reading notes: In the section about the second son, he found the chest but called it the weapon which the first son found. Also you've inadvertently repeated the whole section about the third son, and called him the second son in the second sentence. Sorry for being nit-picky, I have to do a fair amount of document review in my job!]

Thanks. I'll see when I can write the second one.

And thanks for the correction. I should have proof-read it :o