Better class to go with a Assassin? Powertech or Op?

TheMove

So i have a level 30 Op and a level 30 Powertech. Im at the cross roads here. Both at the same point on chapter 2. I Just leveled the Op with my bro who is a assassin and only reason I picked a OP was so we both had stealth for leveling and PVP.

At first we both were Jedi Shadows but after level 20 decided to go Imp and I thought a OP would be better choice than 2 assassins.

Anyway only level 30 but Im watching my bro play a superior class by far. Seems like if I want to be usefull Im goign to have to always stay a healer or just be a gimped class.

Im thinking about giving up stealth even though we love world pvp and ganking. Thought I would ask if maybe a Powertech woould be a better fit. Even with giving up stealth?

Edited by TheMove

There both great classes but at 50 the powertech wins.a well played operative can dish it out plus there great at heals.get too level 36 and u get the best abbility for the op.then at 40 u will have the full tree and 1v1 ur brother and see who wins currently have both at 50 and i love them both in certain ways

He can no longer beat me in a duel now thqat my healing is getting deep. I stayed with the OP. I let him try to kill me without a companion last night without me fighting back or using CC. After 5 mins he gave up. Was funny.

Played some WZs as well in low 30s I was puting up 200k healing and winning the games on my own. Very rewarding.

Operatives are amazing (both dps and healer) from lvl 10-49. Their ability to stealth and CC, simultaneously, both humoid and droid targets allows them to solo almost all the pre-50 content when properly geared and played. However, the dps trees are not competitive at end-game content and if you wish to run HM OPs you are going to need to stay spec'ed as a healer (though operative dps is more than adequate for the 4-man HM FPs).

Powertechs are great tanks (when spec'ed into shieldtech AND wearing tank armor). When spec'ed into the dps tree of pyro, they do excellent burst damage in both PvE and PvP. They also have great utility with their taunts and grapple. However, for PvE, there are better melee options such as marauders and assassins. If you have no desire to tank and you're not a big PvP guy, marauders and assassins (of equal skill and gear) can, overall, provide more dps and utility to a PvE team.

Assassins are, IMO, the best melee class in the game. Thy have a stealth, a CC (that doesn't initiate combat), and potent DoTs (for dps) and fantastic passive migrations and self heals for the tank spec. In fact, when you watch videos of players solo'ing HMs it's almost certainly an assassin toon.

The only downside to assassins is they take a little more time and effort to learn and play well.

But ultimately it's not about what class is the best, it's about what class would you have the most fun with. If you like tough, mean, in your face classes with simple rotations then powertech all the way! If you like a more tactical play style and want the option to heal, pick operatives. If you prefer tactical play style and prefer a tank hybrid over a healer hybrid go with an assassin. Just remember that operative and assassins require the use of stealth and CCs.

However, for PvE, there are better melee options such as marauders and assassins.

I agreed with most of what you said except for this. Pyro PTs have simply *amazing* DPS that almost always eclipses Assassin DPS. There are a *few* people that can play a Madness Assassin to its potential, but they're so few and far between that, in a *vast* majority of cases, you'll get substantially more DPS out of the PT.

I like making a impact in a group or a warzone. So I love being a tank or healer. Being mid 30s now I can tell that the only viable spec will be as a healer. Healing has really picked up now. Was alittle worried at earlier levels.

I do like being very mobile in healing and still have alittle burst dmg for a healer.

Assassin better than a PT for DPS in PVE content? LOL You must be taking drugs.

And FWIW I nearly always parse higher then equally geared Mara's (though I do admit a well played Mara will pump out a little more). PTs have GREAT utility in raids, the ability to taunt has proven invaluable at times. Hell, I can even tank EC SM on my PT in PVE gear in the hybrid DPS spec.

Thing about the PT is the stupidly easy rotation; it's probably the easiest class for even clickers to pump out very high DPS. Play a mara wrong and you drop way down the list.

Edited by MilanoChris