Is it time to perhaps rethink the trinity system?

LordArtemis

There was an interesting article on Massively by Eliot Lefebvre.

The Soapbox: The trinity isn't so bad

It raises a few interesting points about how the trinity system seems to get a bad rap in modern MMOs. I tend to think that the system works (I play a Sorc healer btw as my main), but it could use a bit more flexibility.

In this game it seems to be that a dual spec would go a long way toward that flexibility. Sure, you can respec for free if you are a sub, take the time to reset your bars and the like, but I think it would be far better to provide a way to save a certain spec to offer more flexibility with roles, especially in flashpoints and operations.

Just my two cents. Any thoughts on the Trinity system, it's ups and downs and what if anything can be done to improve it's implementation here?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always enjoyed the trinity system, because it makes me feel like I'm important in a team. Although I can dream about a more flexible system where I still feel like I have a role, I just don't think it's possible.

Edit: Unless you're just talking about dual specialization? My guess is it will be in the game some day in the future.

Edited by SaintForHire
Missing point

The only other thing I could think of would be to add another specialty -- Crowd Control. Damned if I know how you could create a balance between roles, though. I think this is one of the things that got Tabula Rasa into trouble from the start. Can't remember the combat engineer role, what it was called, but some of its best "attacks" were really CC's. Depending on whether it was the dev's FOTM or not, it was either extremely OP or worthless.

I used to think the trinity was old-fashioned. Then I played GW2. Now I love the trinity.

haha nice reply.

But I agree, not just due to GW2, trinity is basicly the only thing that really works, wanting it or not, I simply can't enjoy a game without it!

I don't think it would ever happen for this game. I enjoy GW2s non-trinity system especially waiting in queues here as a dps. Also we have to put up with some really contrived class mechanics like... bounty hunter healers. Talk about a canon buster. Edited by Pepperawr

Face it, in GW2 people are still trying to impose the trinity system for groups.

This includes looking for Guardians or Warriors defensive specced and geared, and people with healing abilities, IE Engineer and/or Elementalist.

I have yet to see a good non trinity system, jumping around like monkeys in GW2, with random aggro from a boss is not really my idea of fun, and while I did enjoy the time I had in GW2, it was definitely not from doing Dungeons :D

I don't think it would ever happen for this game. I enjoy GW2s non-trinity system especially waiting in queues here as a dps. Also we have to put up with some really contrived class mechanics like... bounty hunter healers. Talk about a canon buster.

I will always love the healing cannon troopers have because when I think of a blaster cannon I think healer :p

I used to think the trinity was old-fashioned. Then I played GW2. Now I love the trinity.

A lot of people came to the same conclusion from playing TSW too. :)

In reality, some people say they are bored with the trinity, but when you give them an alternative... they whine and complain and demand the trinity. True story, directly from TSW. :D

The trinity is the biggest thing that separates most MMOs from their material and from being rp-worthy and otherwise fun/interesting to watch. Look at the movies, the comics, the animations, the literature for Star Wars. Look at the cinematic trailers for this game. Where's the healers? Where's the taunts?

The trinity has resulted in this game having guns of healing.

Anyone looking for a "Star Wars" experience that isn't already an MMOer is going to, at best, be perplexed by and at worst hysterically amused by the trinity system in this game.

I can and have argued about this in the past. There are people that say that the trinity results in class/player synergies, varieties and squad-styled dependence (with a straight face they say forcing people to join small squads to achieve objectives makes a game massively multiplayer) and that without it there can be none of those things. I've argued with them at length in the past but I don't have time to write that up tonight. It's fairly pointless anyways as I don't think they are ever going to be convinced until someone sails around the world and proves it is round.

GW2 has done very well without a rigid trinity (the only reason I bought and tried it) and Trion's Defiance is just around the corner: I may very well be diving into that one in April. EQ1 and Wow are the first of their kind but if the industry is going to thrive it will need to put them in a museum and evolve a little more quickly and drastically.

Edited by WaywardOne

The trinity has resulted in this game having guns of healing.

I'd rather this.. then being forced to strap a portable bacta tank to my back and pointing a spray nozzle at your boo-boos. :p

In other words, compromises are made by designers to make MMOs playable and the mechanics familiar enough for the average player so that they do not go into catatonic shock from something foreign feeling to them. :)

Edited by Andryah

I'd rather this.. then being forced to strap a portable bacta tank to my back and pointing a spray nozzle at your boo-boos. :p

In other words, compromises are made by designers to make MMOs playable and the mechanics familiar enough for the average player so that they do not go into catatonic shock from something foreign feeling to them. :)

Pretty much this and why the usability of the UI hasn't changed much either

I'm sick of it. There has to be another way. Instant healing does not fit into this universe. Tanks, and dps I can understand, but not healers. It might be ok if people healed themselves, or regenerated health in combat, and the healer type provided some kind of shielding instead of restoring lost hp.

In reality, some people say they are bored with the trinity, but when you give them an alternative... they whine and complain and demand the trinity. True story, directly from TSW. :D

I initially thought this about TSW as well - until someone pointed out a dev post where they noted they were not doing away with the trinity for high-end content but making character builds flexible enough for you to be able to have multiple roles in most of the rest of the content. As a result I am playing a self-heal dps solo, and a tank in groups.

So - not QUITE true - the trinity was always there - it just took a while for folks to see where it was needed, where it wasn't, and adapt.

As for dual-specs - TSW has multiple available - 16 I think? Could be wrong, as noted, I have only explored 2 so far.

The only other thing I could think of would be to add another specialty -- Crowd Control. Damned if I know how you could create a balance between roles, though. I think this is one of the things that got Tabula Rasa into trouble from the start. Can't remember the combat engineer role, what it was called, but some of its best "attacks" were really CC's. Depending on whether it was the dev's FOTM or not, it was either extremely OP or worthless.

Found this interesting - I kind of miss Tabula Rasa - it was getting into decent shape when they canned it. Anyway, I play a Loremaster in LOTRO and the build I have is CC with backup dps and heals - works very well in 5-person groups.

I thought TSW is still dependent on the trinity? It just has a ton more ways to build a tank/heal/dps using their ability wheel compared to conventional talent trees. Hybrids (or do-em-alls like GW2) are only useful when solo-ing in TSW.

I thought TSW is still dependent on the trinity? It just has a ton more ways to build a tank/heal/dps using their ability wheel compared to conventional talent trees. Hybrids (or do-em-alls like GW2) are only useful when solo-ing in TSW.

It is, the guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about :D