BioWare taking the whole week off for Thanksgiving?

DarthTexas

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No BioWare posts since Friday and no sign of any incoming patches to address any of the numerous issues introduced in 1.5

God forbid these folks take some time off to spend it with their friends and family. If you don't like it, you can...fill in the blank.

It is holiday season and everyone should have time off to spend with family and friends. You can live with a few problems until after the holidays don't you think

They are running a 24/7 service. They need to have a dev response team during the holidays to address issues. They have stated they have multiple teams. These could be rotated as needed during a "holiday" period. Again this is not a "normal buisness" this is a 24/7 service. It would be the same as saying that it would be ok if your cable TV company had noone to fix your issues with a cable box during the holidays. On demand services have different work schedules for the holidays. EAware should do so in kind if they are not currently. ESPECIALLY considering that their customer base is prolly utilizing their serves at a higher volume during a holiday period. :cool:

They are running a 24/7 service. They need to have a dev response team during the holidays to address issues. They have stated they have multiple teams. These could be rotated as needed during a "holiday" period. Again this is not a "normal buisness" this is a 24/7 service. It would be the same as saying that it would be ok if your cable TV company had noone to fix your issues with a cable box during the holidays. On demand services have different work schedules for the holidays. EAware should do so in kind if they are not currently. ESPECIALLY considering that their customer base is prolly utilizing their serves at a higher volume during a holiday period. :cool:

It's common practice. We all know the 24/7 support is still there. People like forums operators, develeopers, managers, and community managers are probably almost all off.

Like I said above, if someone doesn't like that, they can get <whatever>.

It's common practice. We all know the 24/7 support is still there. People like forums operators, develeopers, managers, and community managers are probably almost all off.

Like I said above, if someone doesn't like that, they can get <whatever>.

Your crass attitude is not appriciated. I know full well how things are done during the holidays in a 24/7 net service. I was a producer at AOL back when it was a stand alone online service in the 90s. My daily job had nothing to do with working with the public. During the holidays, I was in rotation to answer questions concerning the properties my specific channel owned and load the main news rotation to the launch screen. I did this via VPN access over a modem. The point is in a online service industry it is common practice to have people rotate into key visible posistions to maintain customer satisfaction. They could easily have a forum moderator to field questions and rotate this each day to give some semblance of visibility. :cool:

Your crass attitude is not appriciated. I know full well how things are done during the holidays in a 24/7 net service. I was a producer at AOL back when it was a stand alone online service in the 90s. My daily job had nothing to do with working with the public. During the holidays, I was in rotation to answer questions concerning the properties my specific channel owned and load the main news rotation to the launch screen. I did this via VPN access over a modem. The point is in a online service industry it is common practice to have people rotate into key visible posistions to maintain customer satisfaction. They could easily have a forum moderator to field questions and rotate this each day to give some semblance of visibility. :cool:

I had some respect for you before even though we disagreed a lot. Now? The fact that you can't respect the time that a handful of folks would like to spend at home, without interruption from their job, throws that right out the window.

They don't need to chat with you on the forums tho and during holidays most companies including your military just keep everything running. Even you cable company has a holiday work schedule and if sometime happens during that time they will call in people only if it effects the end user.

Besides I can tell you have no idea how long it takes to fix a bug in a game.

LOL. You know how it's done cuz AOL wrote the book on customer service, amirite? Argument from authority is a logical fallacy. Argument from AOL is bewildering to say the least.

I had some respect for you before even though we disagreed a lot. Now? The fact that you can't respect the time that a handful of folks would like to spend at home, without interruption from their job, throws that right out the window.

Don't give me that. It's called shift work. Companies go into this mode all the time in the holidays. You obviously have never worked in this environment. It's part of the job. It's in the freaking job description. You and others that have never worked in a service industry, hospital, police force, fire fighters, military, etc. need to know that people in these proffesions understand that they may have to work during the holidays. Get off your high horse with your "respect" comment. Wake up and understand that not all jobs are 9-5 with lots of time off during the holidays. I never said that everyone should operate business as usual I said there should be some sort of holiday skeleton crew to field questions from the public. They have been silent since the 17th. I don't know any company were everything shuts down for a whole week at Thanksgiving. Manufacturing industries shut down during either the week of Christmas or mid July but, they still have a skeleton crew to do public relations. SWTOR is a service industry and should operate as such and that means at least one person to answer questions of the public. During the entire week they could rotate that position each day and the nature of this work could even be done from home. That is not a "large sacrifice". I have lived thru situations like this. It's not that big a deal as you seem to make it.

Edited by Urael

:rolleyes:

no really :rolleyes:

*shakes head*

I will think of you next labor day. Right alongside police, firemen, EMTs, and the dying breed of American factory workers... and the guy who cried nerd tears because BW didn't, in his expert opinion, live up to the high standards he learned at AOL. Edited by waterdaemon

Don't give me that. It's called shift work. Companies go into this mode all the time in the holidays. You obviously have never worked in this environment. It's part of the job. It's in the freaking job description. You and others that have never worked in a service industry, hospital, police force, fire fighters, military, etc. need to know that people in these proffesions understand that they may have to work during the holidays. Get off your high horse with your "respect" comment. Wake up and understand that not all jobs are 9-5 with lots of time off during the holidays. I never said that everyone should operate business as usual I said there should be some sort of holiday skeleton crew to field questions from the public. They have been silent since the 17th. I don't know any company were everything shuts down for a whole week at Thanksgiving. Manufacturing industries shut down during either the week of Christmas or mid July but, they still have a skeleton crew to do public relations. SWTOR is a service industry and should operate as such and that means at least one person to answer questions of the public. During the entire week they could rotate that position each day and the nature of this work could even be done from home. That is not a "large sacrifice". I have lived thru situations like this. It's not that big a deal as you seem to make it.

I manage for a 24/7 support group and can tell you that for customer support it is common to have a skeleton group working. They are on staff to work through customer contacts but not in the volume that would normally be serviced. Also IT staff would only be on call to deal with complete service outages but not to fix bugs or other smaller issues. Outside of that posting on a forum or other social media would be of no importance during a holiday.

I'd assume customer service is farmed to some place in India that doesn't do Thanksgiving. But yeah, I would hope the devs are all with family, and not at work...

And forget fixing 1.5 issues. They still need to fix the 1.4 ones. (to be honest, haven't really seen any new 1.5 ones, but am still suffering 1.4 ones)

Man, Bioware cant even win during Thanksgiving...

I get what you're saying how they are a 24/7 business and there should technically be someone there just incase something happens... but c'mon man, it's Thanksgiving. I can deal with a little radio silence from them for a week if it means giving them some time off. Need to loosen up a bit there. I highly doubt they are gone now anyways, probably just busy with a lot of stuff.

Just relax, everything will be fine. Get off their backs, giving them some time with their family, and then you can go back to saying how everything isn't exactly perfect in every way, shape, and form.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! :)

It is holiday season and everyone should have time off to spend with family and friends. You can live with a few problems until after the holidays don't you think

In an idealistic world, sure...but I live in the real world, where places, businesses, actually are open during the Holiday season. When I fill my car up with gas on my way to grandmas, I don't feel pity for the poor guy working...I smile, thank him and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. When places like Target open up at 6pm, again, I don't feel pity on the employees...I'm thrilled they have a job and I admire them for being there for the masses.

This game is a service. One that lacks much professionalism. I would fully expect them to be working Monday-Wed this week.

FYI...Bioware is a Canadian company. Thanksgiving isn't some universal holiday.

Edited by TUXs

Get it through your thick skull that TOR isn't a hospital. Its not a police station.

It's a video game. Those folks don't need to be here. If you don't like it...there's the door. So sorry that bioware isn't here to tend to your every little precious need. Why don't you man up and quit if you are so high and righteous that they should be here working? Put some money where your mouth is.

There may even be some folks on staff today but there is nothing pressing, like a server crash, that they need to attend it. If it does happen, they will take care of it.

I see several other folks have attempted to explain it as well. But you go! You make sure Bioware knows you mean business!

Edited by Arkerus

In an idealistic world, sure...but I live in the real world, where places, businesses, actually are open during the Holiday season. When I fill my car up with gas on my way to grandmas, I don't feel pity for the poor guy working...I smile, thank him and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. When places like Target open up at 6pm, again, I don't feel pity on the employees...I'm thrilled they have a job and I admire them for being there for the masses.

This game is a service. One that lacks much professionalism. I would fully expect them to be working Monday-Wed this week.

FYI...Bioware is a Canadian company. Thanksgiving isn't some universal holiday.

This game operates out of the Austin branch last I checked.