Marriage and kids?

Yermog

On one hand, yes, kinda. But imagine if you shifted both ages about ten years younger. Still the same spread difference in ages, but suddenly it seems less okay.

I actually think that the origin of these rules is because of the inherent inequality created by a big age gap, and so it extends even beyond just kids. Theoretically when both are "adults" they can choose for themselves but that doesn't completely eliminate the problems. It's just that those problems at that point become personal relationship problems instead of a society wide concern.

Some people even believe in an equation, that if someone multiplies the younger relationship by two and subtracts seven, that represents the oldest possible age that younger person can be involved with before the relationship becomes a little sketchy. And as you get into the upper biological age limit, the situation reverses itself - it becomes the elderly that society becomes concerned that the younger partner might be taking advantage of.

Here, imagine a different situation between human cultures on earth. Some cultures think that humans become adults when they finish puberty, which might be as young as thirteen. They even use thirteen year olds as child soldiers, and people we consider children have seen more terrible mature stuff than older people from another culture. They get married at thirteen, have children at thirteen. On another angle, some thirteen year olds, male or female, sometimes look much precociously older than they actually are - biologically, they appear to be mature.

A Chiss is ten but looks twenty, their culture considers them an adult. I'm prepared to claim it's probably still not okay.

Sure, 15-year-old person shouldn't be dating a 30-year-old-person, and that's because the 15-year-old person isn't mature enough to be called an adult.

So, think of clones. They come out completely mature from their cloning tanks. Should they wait 18 years before they date anyone, since they practically haven't lived for a long time, even though they are mentally and physically mature?

What I'm trying to say is, you can't say that species x is old enough at the age of 18 just because humans are. It's like saying that dogs aren't adults before they turn 18. Not to mention that a few hundred years earlier, people seemed to think it's okay for 15 years old girl to get married. That sounds ridiculous now, and who knows, maybe a few hundred years from now, people will think that we are not "adults" until we turn 25 or something, and think that getting married in the age of 18 was absolutely barbaric.

Let's think of an imaginary species that lives only 1 year. They are fully mature at the age of 2 months. I can understand saying that it's not okay to date that kind of creature because she/he will die soon, or that she is simply too different, but saying that "you can't date her/him because if she/he was a human, she'd/he'd be just a baby" sounds rather funny.

I won't say there wouldn't be any problems, big differences in ages can be problematic even with 2 adults. If a 20-year-old person dates a person old enough to be her/his grandparent, people will wonder what's wrong with that person (and maybe if the old person is rich or famous). But if a member of some species is truly mentally and physically as adult as they will ever get, then it shouldn't be a problem just because "if he/she would be human". Well, he/she isn't a human and doesn't age like a human and shouldn't be treated as a human.

Edited by Seireeni

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally agree with Seireen's view on this one. A 10 year old Chiss will have gone through puberty and everything much earlier than we would have, true, but that doesn't make them any less of an adult. If anything, it might make them more of one because they've had to go through everything much sooner than a human would have.

Look at the Asari in the Mass Effect universe. They live to a thousand years, and Liara T'Soni is over a hundred years old when you first meet her. She's 70-80 years older than Shepard, but that doesn't stop the two of them from starting an intense passionate romance if the player so chooses. And other Asari date and marry Salarians, who live on average 60 years.

I know that's crossing different universes, but I was just using that as an example. In the end I think it just comes down to how an individual feels about it. If it weirds a person out to be romantically involved with someone so much older/younger than them, then it's perfectly fine for them to view it as odd. I think the rule should pretty much be as long as the person is a legal adult within their own society, it should be alright to engage in a romance as long as both parties are comfortable and aware of what a relationship with someone else, be it of the same or a different species, entails.

Sure, 15-year-old person shouldn't be dating a 30-year-old-person, and that's because the 15-year-old person isn't mature enough to be called an adult.

So, think of clones. They come out completely mature from their cloning tanks. Should they wait 18 years before they date anyone, since they practically haven't lived for a long time, even though they are mentally and physically mature?

Kinda think so, yeah.

Let's think of an imaginary species that lives only 1 year. They are fully mature at the age of 2 months. I can understand saying that it's not okay to date that kind of creature because she/he will die soon, or that she is simply too different, but saying that "you can't date her/him because if she/he was a human, she'd/he'd be just a baby" sounds rather funny.

Wasn't what I was saying. Was saying that despite being physically and mentally mature, such a species would lack the equivalent life experience (and very likely accumulated wealth) that an older person of a different species would have. Thus inherent inequality.

And in the case where we can say someone much younger has been through more life experiences, packed more into those short years, like a child soldier, even if that's a cultural norm for them it's still kinda iffy, because it's potentially added onto psychological trauma and adding complications that someone that young doesn't need to deal with.

I won't say there wouldn't be any problems, big differences in ages can be problematic even with 2 adults. If a 20-year-old person dates a person old enough to be her/his grandparent, people will wonder what's wrong with that person (and maybe if the old person is rich or famous). But if a member of some species is truly mentally and physically as adult as they will ever get, then it shouldn't be a problem just because "if he/she would be human". Well, he/she isn't a human and doesn't age like a human and shouldn't be treated as a human.

But this raises a problem with the internal consistency of this rule. I brought up the issue of a reverse scenario where one species ages and physically matures slower, but perhaps gains emotionally maturity and memories at the same rate. Mentally that person could be an adult. Physically they would look very young. So, use the legal standards we've developed, even if they might appear underaged (problems)? Consider them not human and not subject to our standards (problems)? Consider them mature by mental maturity, or biological (problems)?

There's really no good way to deal with the issue of differing rates of aging. And that's not even getting into the goldfish-Asari scenario mentioned in the post above me.

Edited by Bytemite

Well, while I can appreciate your views and your logical approach to discussing it, I have to say that I still disagree with you on the matter of how you define "mature enough to be in a relationship" in regards to different ways of aging, etc, etc. I appreciate you going out of your way to explain your thought process on the matter, though. I did enjoy reading it. :)

Regardless of whether or not you should romance someone who either ages faster/slower or hasn't experienced enough of life, I highly doubt that the SWTOR devs would create a Chiss character who was in their teens and then allow them to marry in-game. As has already been stated by some, this could cause some issues in the player base and possibly with others. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say all the characters are in their early to mid twenties at the time the story opens. Plus, not everyone cares enough about the lore to read into the aging process of various alien species, including Chiss. For safety's sake, I'd say that BioWare would make the official age well above the legal one present in most countries. Torian Cadera is the youngest male romance option, and I believe that he's 18 or 19. I'm a big enough looser to do the math on how old he is at the start of the BH storyline.

Interestingly enough, Quinn is the oldest male romance at the age of 37. I was pretty surprised at that. If anything, I'd expect Aric Jorgan to be that age, but he's only 30.

Edited by Yermog

Genetic analysis later confirmed that the Chiss were indeed an offshoot of the Human species' earliest attempts at colonization. It was believed that sometime before 27,000 BBY, a lost colony of Humans settled in the Unknown Regions on the planet Csilla
- Chiss entry on Wookiepedia

The entry then goes on to explain how the Chiss are basically humans.

- Chiss entry on Wookiepedia

The entry then goes on to explain how the Chiss are basically humans.

Huh. Well that's good to know. I guess I didn't think it was possible due to having never seen a Chiss/human hybrid before. Maybe Vector and my Chiss Agent can increase the number of their odd little family after all then.

It may just be me, because the guys are the ones who bring it up in conversation, but it seems like the male romances want kids more than FemToons do. It's interesting when those conversations come up.

Edited by Yermog

Well, while I can appreciate your views and your logical approach to discussing it, I have to say that I still disagree with you on the matter of how you define "mature enough to be in a relationship" in regards to different ways of aging, etc, etc. I appreciate you going out of your way to explain your thought process on the matter, though. I did enjoy reading it. :)

And thank you for being willing to participate. These can be pretty tricky conversations to have. I really try not to judge people and their relationships, having once been a precocious kid myself, if I'd had that inclination it would have annoyed the heck outta me to be told what I could and couldn't do. Mostly I'm just interested in exploring the logical basis of those rules, while acknowledging perhaps they are not universal, my initial reaction about the Sith aside.

Regardless of whether or not you should romance someone who either ages faster/slower or hasn't experienced enough of life, I highly doubt that the SWTOR devs would create a Chiss character who was in their teens and then allow them to marry in-game. As has already been stated by some, this could cause some issues in the player base and possibly with others. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say all the characters are in their early to mid twenties at the time the story opens. Plus, not everyone cares enough about the lore to read into the aging process of various alien species, including Chiss. For safety's sake, I'd say that BioWare would make the official age well above the legal one present in most countries.

Agreed. I have no problems with this interpretation.

Edited by Bytemite

I think it'd be cool to be able to have kids... lots of neat stuff to do with them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid

The Human species was able to interbreed with the Coynite, [1] Echani,[2] Ferroan,[3] Hamadryas,[4] Kiffar,[5] Miraluka,[6] Nagai,[7] Theelin,[8] Twi'lek species.[9] When Humans bred with the Kalai, the resulting offspring were known as Lethagoe[10] and with the Zabrak the Dathomirians.[11]

There is a list of the confirmed compatible races, lore wise. Chiss are not on the list, as of yet, nor can I recall Thrawn being referred to as an mixed species. They do not recognize his species, and the fact that he is an alien leads to Mon Mothma rejecting Han's claims that he saw a Grand Admiral (since the Empire was anti alien, she assumed he was a self promoted warlord), and when Leia sees him latter on Honogar, she doesn't recognize the species either.

Also, while Zeltron are not on the list of compatible species, it's highly likely that they are, based on the Legacy comics. Cade's main love interest is a Zeltron, and I can't see the Skywalker line dying out. (though I suppose the one night stand with Talon might have resulted in a child)

And in the case where we can say someone much younger has been through more life experiences, packed more into those short years, like a child soldier, even if that's a cultural norm for them it's still kinda iffy, because it's potentially added onto psychological trauma and adding complications that someone that young doesn't need to deal with.

This "child soldier" thing that you keep bringing up bugs me. Child soldiers are human. They are not adults. Not mentally or physically. It has nothing to do with species where people are fully adults at younger ahe than humans. In those species, people don't get traumatized because they are not "kids forced to be adults", they are adults.

But this raises a problem with the internal consistency of this rule. I brought up the issue of a reverse scenario where one species ages and physically matures slower, but perhaps gains emotionally maturity and memories at the same rate. Mentally that person could be an adult. Physically they would look very young. So, use the legal standards we've developed, even if they might appear underaged (problems)? Consider them not human and not subject to our standards (problems)? Consider them mature by mental maturity, or biological (problems)?

I'm afraid I can't agree with you in the fact that a species could be mentally mature when they aren't physically mature. It isn't only the fact that you have x amount of life experince. It's also your brain and how developed it is. If a species ages slower, i.e. they are adults at the age of 100, they are not "mentally adults" at the age of 18. They are children, and it's not okay to date a person from that species who is only 18, since their brain isn't developed enough.

I say it again, if 2 people who are clearly adults by their species' standards want to have a rellationship, "what if he/she was my species" shouldn't stop them. They have different amount of life experience, but they are mature enough to decide if that is a problem to them. Though, what you have to be careful for people who think they are mature, but really aren't. I once met (online) a 14-year-old girl who thought that it would be okay for her to date 24-year-old man. Well, it isn't okay. Because she isn't an adult even though she would think so.

Though I do agree that in the game, there shouldn't be people under the age of 18 to romance, since not everyone reads the SW lore & not everyone would understand that different species, even humanoids, might not age like humans age. Plus, even though you do know that the species doesn't age like humans, I personally could have troubles with "getting over" the age of that person. Might make me feel a little uncomfortable to romance someone who's under 18, even though I'd know they are fully mature and adult, because that's such a taboo in our society.

In those species, people don't get traumatized because they are not "kids forced to be adults", they are adults.

Do we know this? Granted, being a child is not necessarily exclusive to being traumatized, adults can be and are traumatized as well, but there's something unfortunate about that happening to a child, because they're someone who is so young. I can't really explain the logic behind that, but it seems like an accurate assessment.

A Chiss, who is ten, but looks twenty, going to war or being forced into it, kinda raises the same question.

Red Sith who are part of the Empire start training young, and do things that most of us would consider pretty adult and not appropriate for children. It is their culture, and their activities while young shape them into what they become. They do this, or they die. Biologically, they aren't mature at the time, but in the course of what they go through, do they become mentally mature early? Hard to say.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you in the fact that a species could be mentally mature when they aren't physically mature. It isn't only the fact that you have x amount of life experince. It's also your brain and how developed it is.

Yes, hormones etc. The problem we're running into is that human children below a certain age probably aren't fully developed brainwise. But with other species, that seems to become subjective. Some species are depicted as naturally "wiser" and more "mature" than vanilla humans by human standards, even if they are younger (biologically and timewise) than the comparable human and might not have gone through changes that an older human has.

Chiss might mature faster than humans both biologically and mentally, but at their age of consent, based on their quick maturing, they could be at a disadvantage to a member of a different species.

Plus, even though you do know that the species doesn't age like humans, I personally could have troubles with "getting over" the age of that person. Might make me feel a little uncomfortable to romance someone who's under 18, even though I'd know they are fully mature and adult, because that's such a taboo in our society.

This is fair. Perhaps this is the primary source of my reaction.

Edited by Bytemite

I'm actually curious as how it becomes "Oh noes! 16 years of age!" when

1) Over half the states have age of consent as under 18

2) Play a game where slavery is common place, not frowned upon, and encouraged.

3) Mass murder is okay and encouraged!

Not that I actually care to see it in game, but I just find it odd, that's the one area where a line is drawn "You're my slave! OH GAWD YOU'RE 16?! I CAN'T HAVE THAT!" :p

Just because something might be a worse issue doesn't mean something else isn't an issue. And I'm not okay with the slavery. I have only one character who tolerates it even a little, and they're kind of an arrogant jerk. I'm also not okay with the mass murder. Lastly I just HAD this conversation in the general forums when someone said that discussing race themes in Star Wars shows that I am "sick and wrong" because I wanted to discuss that issue instead of the RPG killing when no one else up to then had been talking about that in the thread. Yeah, no, that argument doesn't work.

It's more like the idea of rampant underage abuse in the Empire hadn't occurred to me, and it weirded me out. And I'm a pretty cynical person, I'm usually on the leading edge of evaluating all the possible ways that a situation could suck and how people might take advantage. I'm somewhat shocked that I had such a blatant oversight here.

Plus it was less the sixteen year olds, and more the realization of what the Sith might do with their five to ten year old new trainees that got me. Ugh, as if there weren't enough unsettling parallels between the Sith and Sparta. I really wish I could unhear this. Now I'm going to see weird kinky stuff between Palpatine and Darth Maul and Anakin and I just do not want.

Edited by Bytemite

Just because something might be a worse issue doesn't mean something else isn't an issue. And I'm not okay with the slavery. I have only one character who tolerates it even a little, and they're kind of an arrogant jerk. I'm also not okay with the mass murder. Lastly I just HAD this conversation in the general forums when someone said that discussing race themes in Star Wars shows that I am "sick and wrong" because I wanted to discuss that issue instead of the RPG killing when no one else up to then had been talking about that in the thread. Yeah, no, that argument doesn't work.

It's more like the idea of rampant underage abuse in the Empire hadn't occurred to me, and it weirded me out. And I'm a pretty cynical person, I'm usually on the leading edge of evaluating all the possible ways that a situation could suck and how people might take advantage. I'm somewhat shocked that I had such a blatant oversight here.

Plus it was less the sixteen year olds, and more the realization of what the Sith might do with their five to ten year old new trainees that got me. Ugh, as if there weren't enough unsettling parallels between the Sith and Sparta. I really wish I could unhear this. Now I'm going to see weird kinky stuff between Palpatine and Darth Maul and Anakin and I just do not want.

I'm not saying one condones it in RL. It's more of the idea, that I find it interresting people are okay playing a game that encourages certain things, then get overly upset with something else, that may or may not be worse.

In RL, age of consent is a tricky subject, then it only gets worse on the internet. Take TERA and Scarlet Blade for example, two games with legal age characters by lore standards, but because of how they are drawn, people can't accept the lore that they're over 18 (100 years old in the case of TERA). Never mind, that in RL, there are people who don't look their age. I have a friend who's 24, married, 2 kids, and she looks 16.

And really, even in RL, 16-18 (general age of consent in the USA, but a few states have lower age of consents) while it may be legal, an 18 year old with someone who is 26 is a huge difference in mentality, while 28 and 36, is not.

SO then you take it to fiction, where you have species like Chiss who are at full maturity in 10 standard human years. If you're willing to use your imagination, this really isn't an issue. The issue comes with those who can't fathom a different set of rules from real life, where things like that just don't happen.

Also, throw in some double standards. One of my favorites is TWILIGHT. Here you have a 100 year old vampire with a 17 year old. Saw lots of arguements on that one. But then I noticed a lot of those same people using that arguement, where totally okay with Buffy and Angel, who was 17 and 300+.

So back to, what can one accept as part of a fictional world and what one can't. What one can't is usually because they can't seperate the fiction from reality.

Vampires man. Don't even get me started on all that. They're corpses, I mean, how does that kind of pairing even WORK when one part of the couple has insufficient blood flow?

Though I guess they could compensate with rigor mortis... Why am I TALKING about this? Okay, yeah, this is the reason why vampires and many other things usually get consigned to my "do not think too hard about this" file.

I think it might be best for me to leave this discussion about Vampires, Chiss, and Sith/Imperial practices and culture there, before the W T F overdose strikes me down. We are in my Apocalypse Now, and as I gasp out "The HORROR", clawing up at the air as I lay dying, you're standing there and you're saying "calm down, for ****'s sake calm down."

And then the credits roll.

Edited by Bytemite

And really, even in RL, 16-18 (general age of consent in the USA, but a few states have lower age of consents) while it may be legal, an 18 year old with someone who is 26 is a huge difference in mentality, while 28 and 36, is not.

SO then you take it to fiction, where you have species like Chiss who are at full maturity in 10 standard human years. If you're willing to use your imagination, this really isn't an issue. The issue comes with those who can't fathom a different set of rules from real life, where things like that just don't happen.

Also, throw in some double standards. One of my favorites is TWILIGHT. Here you have a 100 year old vampire with a 17 year old. Saw lots of arguements on that one. But then I noticed a lot of those same people using that arguement, where totally okay with Buffy and Angel, who was 17 and 300+.

So back to, what can one accept as part of a fictional world and what one can't. What one can't is usually because they can't seperate the fiction from reality.

You both have a bit of a point.

Look, the way I see a Chiss/Human relationship is that is just has to be the flip-side of an Elf/Human relationship:

From the one side, I can see that just as many of Elves are going to be disgusted with the blatant cradle robbing of that poor Human that's barely been trained to the potty as there will be Humans are going to be upset about the "poor" Chiss being "molested."

But.

From the other, this does not mean that the individuals in those couples fail to "understand" the "immorality" of those relationships so much as that both parties have recognized that their species simply age differently and thus, have laws that match. A Chiss/Human relationship is no more immoral than an Elf/Human one as long as both parties are of the age of maturity and consent for their species.

Personally, from that perspective, I am far more creeped out by the flip side that this "age-specific" obsession would create because, if all members of all species judged by their own ages, then you would have an emotionally and sexually mature Chiss trying to put the moves on some poor human kid who should be playing tag instead of getting a marriage proposal. It also always creepsme the heck out when one realizes that the logical extension of that would also be the 18 year-old Human molesting some 300 year-old elf who really did just finally had their first sign of entering puberty just the year before!

Personally? Given that, I too would go for that person's species norms rather than my own!

That being said though, I also, similarly don't think that everyone in every universe/galaxy is always going to be okay with that thought either and so, will and would get hung up on those numbers.

Edited by Dallayna

You both have a bit of a point.

Look, the way I see a Chiss/Human relationship is that is just has to be the flip-side of an Elf/Human relationship:

From the one side, I can see that just as many of Elves are going to be disgusted with the blatant cradle robbing of that poor Human that's barely been trained to the potty as there will be Humans are going to be upset about the "poor" Chiss being "molested."

But.

From the other, this does not mean that the individuals in those couples fail to "understand" the "immorality" of those relationships so much as that both parties have recognized that their species simply age differently and thus, have laws that match. A Chiss/Human relationship is no more immoral than an Elf/Human one as long as both parties are of the age of maturity and consent for their species.

Personally, from that perspective, I am far more creeped out by the flip side that this "age-specific" obsession would create because, if all members of all species judged by their own ages, then you would have an emotionally and sexually mature Chiss trying to put the moves on some poor human kid who should be playing tag instead of getting a marriage proposal. It also always creepsme the heck out when one realizes that the logical extension of that would also be the 18 year-old Human molesting some 300 year-old elf who really did just finally had their first sign of entering puberty just the year before!

Personally? Given that, I too would go for that person's species norms rather than my own!

That being said though, I also, similarly don't think that everyone in every universe/galaxy is always going to be okay with that thought either and so, will and would get hung up on those numbers.

Okay, I have to ask, because I admittedly don't know the sword & socery aspect of fantasy...I thought, while not considered an adult by their species, that elves where still basically adults by 18, just that when compared to the rest of their race that lives to be 1000, that they'd still be a baby.

Okay, I have to ask, because I admittedly don't know the sword & socery aspect of fantasy...I thought, while not considered an adult by their species, that elves where still basically adults by 18, just that when compared to the rest of their race that lives to be 1000, that they'd still be a baby.

It depends on the universe. In some, yes. In many others, they would maybe around the equivalent of a 10 yer old human.... Now are you getting the creep factor?

The ignorant Chiss/Underaged Human problem would be similar because to the Chiss- "Hey! She's of age, isn't she?"

This is my point that catching ourselves up in our numbers really could cause far more problems but that, ultimately, i do think that some people are just going to do it no matter what.

It depends on the universe. In some, yes. In many others, they would maybe around the equivalent of a 10 yer old human.... Now are you getting the creep factor?

The ignorant Chiss/Underaged Human problem would be similar because to the Chiss- "Hey! She's of age, isn't she?"

This is my point that catching ourselves up in our numbers really could cause far more problems but that, ultimately, i do think that some people are just going to do it no matter what.

Hmmm...the thought of what looks to be a 20 something adult acting like a 10 year old, is creepy. The thought of a race that ages faster than humans, less so, for me anyways.

Hmmm...the thought of what looks to be a 20 something adult acting like a 10 year old, is creepy. The thought of a race that ages faster than humans, less so, for me anyways.

Heh. This is why in many universes Elves just do not mate with Humans- they look down on us. Heck it was even in the embarrassment of Dungeons and Dragons (the movie) when the female Elf looked over at Snails: "How old are you?"

But. That being said- it still happens otherwise we would have Half-Elves now would we?

And although I'm not always the best at explaining myself, that's why I think about Elves whenever the idea of Chiss becoming adults at 10 comes up- it's because, to me, it just means that we are the "Elves" in that situation. They're trying to be all suave but many of us just can't get over seeing a "kid."

But, then again, imho, I think that both the 10 year old Chiss and the 100 year old Elf would probably be better off leaving Humans out of the equation entirely and starting a far better society on their own. :D

This is also why, my personal thoughts on the matter if I ever got to a Universe/Galaxy where there are differences like that?

DON'T TELL ME YOUR AGE.....Just answer a question, please.... Are you of the sex I'm attracted to?...

You are?- SWEET!!!!

.... Question though.... You- you know, are you an adult by your people's standards?

You are?- DOUBLE SWEET!!!!

Last question cutie.... You- um..... Would- you probably don't know but- well... you want to- well, be... romantically- as in mates together, with me?

You are?- OFFICALLY THE MOST AWESOME THING IN THE UNIVERRSE!

Just- ah, well, I know this sounds strange but, well, can I have one request?

Never- EVER mention things that creep me the heck out please.... You know, like your actual chronological age or other things I might find too bizarre to get past.... Other than that?....

Bedroom... Please... I'll meet you there in a nano.....

Edited by Dallayna

Heh. This is why in many universes Elves just do not mate with Humans- they look down on us. Heck it was even in the embarrassment of Dungeons and Dragons (the movie) when the female Elf looked over at Snails: "How old are you?"

But. That being said- it still happens otherwise we would have Half-Elves now would we?

And although I'm not always the best at explaining myself, that's why I think about Elves whenever the idea of Chiss becoming adults at 10 comes up- it's because, to me, it just means that we are the "Elves" in that situation. They're trying to be all suave but many of us just can't get over seeing a "kid."

Half-Elf is a totally legit sub-race in DnD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-elf_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

The age of consent thing/creepiness is ridiculous. When a member of a species reaches adulthood (for that species) in a game, it should be portrayed as an adult (according to the cultural standards of the majority of swtor players. Aka 18+.

Think about it. What of demi-gods? They exist all through DnD (and mythology as well) as the off-spring of a god and a human. The myths are replete with tales of humans mating with gods. GODS. As in eternal or at least being that live many thousands of years. But despite being a student of mythology, I have never once read or even heard of a discussion where anyone brought up the "age difference". II have never heard anyone say, "Wow, Zeus was ancient when he begot Perseus on Danaë who was a mere human adult, perhaps thousands of years younger...."

Edited by Xeperi

Half-Elf is a totally legit sub-race in DnD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-elf_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

The age of consent thing/creepiness is ridiculous. When a member of a species reaches adulthood (for that species) in a game, it should be portrayed as an adult (according to the cultural standards of the majority of swtor players. Aka 18+.

Think about it. What of demi-gods? They exist all through DnD (and mythology as well) as the off-spring of a god and a human. The myths are replete with tales of humans mating with gods. GODS. As in eternal or at least being that live many thousands of years. But despite being a student of mythology, I have never once read or even heard of a discussion where anyone brought up the "age difference". II have never heard anyone say, "Wow, Zeus was ancient when he begot Perseus on Danaë who was a mere human adult, perhaps thousands of years younger...."

Easier said than done. People are stupid. Look at players on TERA who couldn't bother to read lore that they were a hundred years old.

Oh, actually that angle totally existed with Zeus. You realize that many of those stories rose to popularity when pederasty in Ancient Greece started being endorsed by the big famous philosophers? Pederasty was kind of a thing in Greece already, but when this happened whole cults of pederasty sprang up with these stories at their center. Edited by Bytemite

Frankly? I'll admit it. I, personally, was more grossed out by the whole "goat thing" to even to notice age!

But, even still, you make my point for me: while as an individual it might actually make me think twice if I was ever in a "RL" situation like that (dating a Chiss), the truth of the matter is that, when it comes to relationships- you need to go by your partner's species norms and not your own. But, there are also, always going to be people who either won't or just can't.

So, for me? the 10 year old Chiss is getting my digits but the 50 year old Elf gets a teddy bear. But, I know me enough to know that it might take me a moment to realize that's the appropriate response so, I'm not going to get all stressed and wacked out if some other human responds differently is all I'm saying.

Edited by Dallayna

Oh, actually that angle totally existed with Zeus. You realize that many of those stories rose to popularity when pederasty in Ancient Greece started being endorsed by the big famous philosophers? Pederasty was kind of a thing in Greece already, but when this happened whole cults of pederasty sprang up with these stories at their center.
Pederastry in ancient greece had to do with what (at the time) was a socially accepted means of mentorship between an adult male and a pre-adult male. I don't see what this has to do with ancient gods conceiving children with relatively MUCH younger human adults of the opposite gender.

Not sure I want to fathom the mind that outputs pederastry from an input of demigods.

Edited by Xeperi

Frankly? I'll admit it. I, personally, was more grossed out by the whole "goat thing" to even to notice age!

But, even still, you make my point for me: while as an individual it might actually make me think twice if I was ever in a "RL" situation like that (dating a Chiss), the truth of the matter is that, when it comes to relationships- you need to go by your partner's species norms and not your own. But, there are also, always going to be people who either won't or just can't.

So, for me? the 10 year old Chiss is getting my digits but the 50 year old Elf gets a teddy bear. But, I know me enough to know that it might take me a moment to realize that's the appropriate response so, I'm not going to get all stressed and wacked out if some other human responds differently is all I'm saying.

That is interesting. I know how crass this sounds but when my 3 year old rottweiler (who is 21 in 'dog years', well into the adult phase of its species) grinds on my leg (its form of ************, its just what dogs do) I am not grossed out because the dog is 3, I am grossed out because it is a dog. If it were a 3/21 adult Xepholaxian humanoid female from Pluto and happened to be especially hot, I might even encourage it. Likewise, the 10,000 year old Klytobanian from planet x that is 30 in 'human years' and likewise well into the age of adulthood is also going to get the same encouragement.

I just don't see what the big deal is.