How Evil is Too Evil? (May Contain Spoilers)

Flaminica

I had to laugh at myself just now as I dropped from Dark II to Dark I (losing the use of my relics) because I couldn't bring myself to harm Raith's "loved ones." I can murder, steal or betray, but busting up a guy's toys in front of him was just too mean. Now I have to go scrounge up a hundred points of evil somewhere.

What are your limits? Are there some things you'll just not do? How does your character rationalize them?

Depends on the situation.

On Balmorra, the Imperials had a plan which involved

rigging the corpses of dead resistance members with explosives, so when their comrades tried to retrieve their gear, they would be killed. The trouble was that the collateral damage would have been enormous since the locals were also scavenging the battlefields. And the stupid Imperials were counting on it in order to scare the population into obedience; which, in all likelihood, would have backfiered badly - we only would have given them mortars to rally behind. So I decided to change the rigging a little, planting the explosives only in the dead rebels' weaponry. So the only victims would be actual resistance members when they try to retrieve their weapons.

Such callous disregard for collateral damage was too evil for me.

On the other hand, on one of Vette's personal quests, I discovered that

her mother was enslaved by a Hutt who had literally worked her to death. I chose what any Sith would do - revenge. Vette actually dropped a bunch of affection points with me and later seemed depressed and remorseful (the quest was done without my involvement in battle - the Hutt was murdered "off-screen" by Vette and her sister). But even though she wasn't happy with me, this was the right thing to do.

Killing the guy who caused the death of Vette's mother wasn't too evil for me.

So it really depends. I'm neutral right now, but I have fallen to Dark I once or twice.

Edited by alricka

Depends on the situation.

On Balmorra, the Imperials had a plan which involved

rigging the corpses of dead resistance members with explosives, so when their comrades tried to retrieve their gear, they would be killed. The trouble was that the collateral damage would have been enormous since the locals were also scavenging the battlefields. And the stupid Imperials were counting on it in order to scare the population into obedience; which, in all likelihood, would have backfiered badly - we only would have given them mortars to rally behind. So I decided to change the rigging a little, planting the explosives only in the dead rebels' weaponry. So the only victims would be actual resistance members when they try to retrieve their weapons.

Such callous disregard for collateral damage was too evil for me.

On the other hand, on one of Vette's personal quests, I discovered that

her mother was enslaved by a Hutt who had literally worked her to death. I chose what any Sith would do - revenge. Vette actually dropped a bunch of affection points with me and later seemed depressed and remorseful (the quest was done without my involvement in battle - the Hutt was murdered "off-screen" by Vette and her sister). But even though she wasn't happy with me, this was the right thing to do.

Killing the guy who caused the death of Vette's mother wasn't too evil for me.

So it really depends. I'm neutral right now, but I have fallen to Dark I once or twice.

It may have been right to you, but it wasn't right for her to do that. Hence why she ended up like that, after you told her to do so.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It may have been right to you, but it wasn't right for her to do that. Hence why she ended up like that, after you told her to do so.

Obviously. But I don't regret that decision.

From a roleplaying point of view, that's totally in character for a Sith like mine - he means well when regarding Vette but is more than capable of making decisions that are sometimes sinister.

If he had to rationalize it to Vette he'd say something like that - the Hutt deserved what he got and living with the memory of murdering him is better than living with the thought that somewhere out there the killer of your mother is living in luxury. She might be disappointed in me right now, but I did it for her.

And from a practical, gaming, point of view, it was only - 15 points. I'll make them back in no time :p

Edited by alricka

My Sith everyone who opposes her. Wounded soldiers, defenseless natives, the antidote for the illness afflicting a tribe who has been a thorn at her side; she has chosen to go dark side on all of them.

She does not, however, betray those who has been usefull/will be usefull/has been a help to her and/or the empire. Doctor who created a anti-toxic waste serum for her; she let him defect to the Republic. Member of a dying order sworn to protect a planet form giant ants; talked down powerful sith lord who wanted to kill her for knowing too much. Captured Republic troops and rebels; let them live so their commander will confess about being part of an illegal, Senate sanctioned attack.

Also, knowledge. It's so hard to get good info now-a-days. It would be such a waste to destroy knowledge especially if it could be used against your enemies. So yeah, light side for knowledge.

I can't manage to break the guy's toys. I just think, "This poor guy..."

It reminded me of a photo book on realdoll romance (not sex, romance) that we studied for photography class. It was incredibly poignant. Someone wants love so badly they are capable of imbuing a lifeless object with all these complicated feelings. It's sad, but also has a certain beauty. The human (or twi'lek, or rattataki! etc.) condition!

Edited by Khalhazar

I personally found a lot of the SW quests to be too evil. I played a DS SW, but honestly...most of her actions are so puppy kicking that the story lacks any emotional resonance for me because no one in their right mind is like, "Yes, leaving you alive would be very helpful to my plans, but I like killing so much that I'm going to take you out anyway."

I'm honestly preferring agent, trooper, and smuggler for that reason. Most of the darkside (and lightside) options make sense. Like, typically the darkside option is more revenge focused. But some of the time, I'd argue that it's the "right" option (i.e. kill this person to prevent bigger problems in the future) or at least a more convenient option. So at least there's some rationale for either choice.