Threat Bar. Please!

christian_bmx

Recently i made my first tank for pve, and I have a problem: I dont know how many threat i am doing. Why doesn't the tank classes have some kind of threat bar? Target of target is not the solution.

Healers can see the health of the team, the dps can see the hp bar of the enemy, but the tanks have nothing.

Why dont you make a threat bar for all players. So the tank will see which team member has more threat and will take measures to reduce the aggro he is doing.

The dps will know when he is doing too much aggro and will start to use basic attacks before the threat bar is full.

And the healer will know who will be the next in danger and start to take measures to keep the player alive.

Thanks all

Recently i made my first tank for pve, and I have a problem: I dont know how many threat i am doing. Why doesn't the tank classes have some kind of threat bar? Target of target is not the solution.

Healers can see the health of the team, the dps can see the hp bar of the enemy, but the tanks have nothing.

Why dont you make a threat bar for all players. So the tank will see which team member has more threat and will take measures to reduce the aggro he is doing.

The dps will know when he is doing too much aggro and will start to use basic attacks before the threat bar is full.

And the healer will know who will be the next in danger and start to take measures to keep the player alive.

Thanks all

The tank doesn't need it because he shouldn't be having problems keeping ahead of the DPSes. And if he is, he needs to improve his gameplay or his gear, or maybe both.

The DPSes don't need it because they can tell by the behaviour of the enemies if they are getting ahead of the tank. And failing that, burn your threat dump on cooldown. (If you can't stay behind the tank while burning your threat dump on cooldown, all the threat bars in the world won't save your party.)

The healer doesn't need it because, well, he should be concentrating on healing people, and the tank should be doing what's needed to keep threat on him.

Also, there isn't *ONE* threat bar per player. Each player (or companion) has a threat level with each foe in the group or groups they are fighting. Healing abilities build threat on all that player's per-foe bars, while attacks build it on all foes they damage. The tank builds it on each foe he damages and each foe he taunts.

The tank doesn't need it because he shouldn't be having problems keeping ahead of the DPSes. And if he is, he needs to improve his gameplay or his gear, or maybe both.

The DPSes don't need it because they can tell by the behaviour of the enemies if they are getting ahead of the tank. And failing that, burn your threat dump on cooldown. (If you can't stay behind the tank while burning your threat dump on cooldown, all the threat bars in the world won't save your party.)

The healer doesn't need it because, well, he should be concentrating on healing people, and the tank should be doing what's needed to keep threat on him.

Also, there isn't *ONE* threat bar per player. Each player (or companion) has a threat level with each foe in the group or groups they are fighting. Healing abilities build threat on all that player's per-foe bars, while attacks build it on all foes they damage. The tank builds it on each foe he damages and each foe he taunts.

So just because you don't need it doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful. There are plenty of things that are purely aesthetic and yet are part of the game, so why not add a bar that may be helpful for other players? Just like target of target, you could choose to enable it or not.

we pay 15 dollars a month, gemee tha bar :cool::D

Edited by christian_bmx

Target of Target is your friend. - It's in the UI customisations.

As long as the boss has your ugly mug in the window, then you know he's looking at you as the main threat.

If he's looking at your DPS then you might need to taunt or they need to drop threat. ( or both) If it's on your fellow tank you know to watch his health and CDs and be ready to taunt back to give him a breathing space and the heals a chance to switch back and forth.

Okay so It doesn't give an exact score, but the numbers could be whizzing around faster than you can read them in a busy raid. - And bars might also peak and trough like a trumpet's valves.

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Thanks all

OP I don't play a tank but I agree this would be a nice feature. Don't listen to the other posters, they try to take out the misery by trolling threads and this is a suggestion forum. I see nothing wrong with it. It is a good idea.

OP I don't play a tank but I agree this would be a nice feature. Don't listen to the other posters, they try to take out the misery by trolling threads and this is a suggestion forum. I see nothing wrong with it. It is a good idea.

Sure, why not clutter up the UI even more with a threat bar for EVERY enemy in the fight because that IS what will be needed in order for a tank (or any player) who has no concept of situational awareness to see how much threat he has on each and every mob in the fight. Then we'll need a way to distinguish Mob 1 from Mob 2 from mob 3 if they are the same type of mob, so we'll need additional markers for each and every mob in the fight.

I'm sure the engine will have no problems handling all the extra data involved and that no one's client will experience any additional lag.

But, everyone that disagrees with this suggestion will likely end up on some people's ignore lists and branded as trolls.

Edited by Ratajack

Sure, why not clutter up the UI even more with a threat bar for EVERY enemy in the fight because that IS what will be needed in order for a tank (or any player) who has no concept of situational awareness to see how much threat he has on each and every mob in the fight. Then we'll need a way to distinguish Mob 1 from Mob 2 from mob 3 if they are the same type of mob, so we'll need additional markers for each and every mob in the fight.

I'm sure the engine will have no problems handling all the extra data involved and that no one's client will experience any additional lag.

But, everyone that disagrees with this suggestion will likely end up on some people's ignore lists and branded as trolls.

Rata, you are talking sh*t right now.

What's the problem with add additional bar to the TARGET frame, bud?

Same way you can try to troll Target's casting bar.

You don't really need it, right?

After all you can pay attention to the target itself and keep looking on animations.

Dude, stop talking sh*t.

This suggestion is actually USEFUL.

Rata, you are talking sh*t right now.

What's the problem with add additional bar to the TARGET frame, bud?

Same way you can try to troll Target's casting bar.

You don't really need it, right?

After all you can pay attention to the target itself and keep looking on animations.

Dude, stop talking sh*t.

This suggestion is actually USEFUL.

Ok. Let's say they give the tank ONE threat bar. What about fights with multiple mobs? Or boss fights with adds?

What happens when the tank tunnel focuses on his target since he only sees ONE threat bar because BW catered to the cries of the situationally blind to make tanking easier, but neglects that adds, because "there's no threat bar for the adds. BW you NEED to give us threat bars for adds."

Where does it stop?

At what point do people stop asking to have their hands held? At what point do people start to actually play the game for themselves?

Ok. Let's say they give the tank ONE threat bar. What about fights with multiple mobs? Or boss fights with adds?

What happens when the tank tunnel focuses on his target since he only sees ONE threat bar because BW catered to the cries of the situationally blind to make tanking easier, but neglects that adds, because "there's no threat bar for the adds. BW you NEED to give us threat bars for adds."

Where does it stop?

At what point do people stop asking to have their hands held? At what point do people start to actually play the game for themselves?

Point taken.

But guess what - we DON'T have ability channel bars for multiple adds either...

...and i don't see "cryies" to add additional bars for ALL mobs.

And im still don't see how exactly this bar will "force tanks to tunnel"?

Or it's just your imagination?

Again dude - stop talking sh*t. Especially when someone made a QoL suggestion that actually gonna be USEFUL.

Thanks all

Very nice suggestion I wish this to be realized. And for players who do not need and do not want it, it should be able to toggle it off in user interface settings. That way for them nothing changes and stays the way they want, and for those who want to use it now can do so! All happy!

Edited by BoySaber

Right now there really isn't a *need* for it. I have no issue of making it a toggle for people who want it. Some advice for you as you said you just made a tank for the first time, Target of Target is bae. If the boss is targeting you then you are doing your job. If DPS are ripping off you then you need to break down when they are doing it and why. If it is in the first 10 secs of a pull, see what type of class it is. For example if it is a merc then odds are they had some really good crits and a taunt will generally fix that. If you are loosing aggro during the middle of the fight then you need to make sure you are following your rotation/priority system. Gear is important too as you need to be producing enough DPS to allow your threat multipliers to out pace your DPS raid members. Don't forget your guard. Check out Dulfy.net for some solid tanking guides.

Very nice suggestion I wish this to be realized. And for players who do not need and do not want it, it should be able to toggle it off in user interface settings. That way for them nothing changes and stays the way they want, and for those who want to use it now can do so! All happy!

Exactly.

What fight do you think you need a threat bar for? I've been playing for a little while now, and never once had any problem with threat. It's so easy to gather aggro as a tank, once I've ran through my rotations a couple of times I can go and grab a drink from the fridge and come back without losing it (SM, of course). I've even managed to fall asleep at the keyboard when I was working nightshift, and still managed to hold threat.

If you can't manage to hold aggro in this game, a threat bar isn't really going to help you.

What would be better would be to sit down for an hour or so, read through all the tooltips in your skill tree and find out what each skill does, and which ones build aggro, and see what skills you need in your rotation. Knowing the class would be 1000x better than watching a bar fill up.

I do not agree with this suggestion. Most encounters have multiple mobs, and each mob has its own threat level, which means that there has to be a threat bar for every mob that is aggo-ed in an encounter. This is not necessary because, in many instances, that tank will only need to focus on the elite mob (usually the boss) or the tank should initiate the encounter on multiple mobs, they shouldn't survive long enough for the tank to loose aggro.

The codex has useful information for new players on many aspects of the same. Similarly, there are many tips, and guides posted by SWTOR community on this forum, YouTube and other media.

Target of target is a good feature that alerts you as to whom the mob is focusing its attention, if it is not you then you should place your guard skill on the player under focus, while simultaneously using your taunt ability to force the mob to attack you instead. Every DPS/healer has an ability that forces mobs to attack someone else, and its their responsibility to use it if they are under focus; additional, it helps to run to your tank, since, he typically should be guarding you and being close to him reduces your damage taken while guarded and it also reduces your threat.

The only time you have to worry about threat is the first 30 seconds of a pull. And there you can taunt on cooldown and it's all fine. If you loose threat to a dps after 3 or 4 taunts, you s*ck at tanking, simple as that.

Also, get starparse, it has what you want.

I do not agree with this suggestion. Most encounters have multiple mobs, and each mob has its own threat level, which means that there has to be a threat bar for every mob that is aggo-ed in an encounter. This is not necessary because, in many instances, that tank will only need to focus on the elite mob (usually the boss) or the tank should initiate the encounter on multiple mobs, they shouldn't survive long enough for the tank to loose aggro.

The codex has useful information for new players on many aspects of the same. Similarly, there are many tips, and guides posted by SWTOR community on this forum, YouTube and other media.

Target of target is a good feature that alerts you as to whom the mob is focusing its attention, if it is not you then you should place your guard skill on the player under focus, while simultaneously using your taunt ability to force the mob to attack you instead. Every DPS/healer has an ability that forces mobs to attack someone else, and its their responsibility to use it if they are under focus; additional, it helps to run to your tank, since, he typically should be guarding you and being close to him reduces your damage taken while guarded and it also reduces your threat.

What's your point against it?

I mean with GOOD arguments aside from empty rants.

Seriously, already a few people here against it and none of them can provide SOLID arguments against it.

I have a solid arguments:

1. it will help tanks to monitor their threat.

2. It will NOT break the game.

3. Its a feature of CHOICE (you want it - you enable it)

What arguments other have?

Well... It's all based on rants like "Learn to play!" "No one needs it!" "We have target of target!" etc

Please, folks, provide SOLID arguments against it. Not your EMPTY words.

What's your point against it?

I mean with GOOD arguments aside from empty rants.

Seriously, already a few people here against it and none of them can provide SOLID arguments against it.

I have a solid arguments:

1. it will help tanks to monitor their threat.

2. It will NOT break the game.

3. Its a feature of CHOICE (you want it - you enable it)

What arguments other have?

Well... It's all based on rants like "Learn to play!" "No one needs it!" "We have target of target!" etc

Please, folks, provide SOLID arguments against it. Not your EMPTY words.

Responses:

1. Tanks don't need to *monitor* their threat. They should be able to *effortlessly* stay ahead of the DPSes. If they can't, either there is a gear imbalance or a gameplay skill imbalance or, more likely, both.

And of course if a tank wants to use a threat monitor, he needs to have multiple bars, one per other player / companion in the group, because knowing his *own* threat is not useful at all by itself.

And he needs to have it for the other boss in a two-boss fight (e.g. Battle of Rishi, the Sedi and the Jith or the Wookie and the Gunner), and that means the interface starts to become cluttered, which leads me to...

2 It might break the game. It introduces more UI elements (specifically HUD elements), and that loads the client, and possibly the server as well (since it will need to transfer threat data to the clients). The clients already struggle in heavy group content, as demonstrated by the quantities of complaints about lag on these forums.

3 Danmed right.

Side note: I suppose that a "relative threat" monitor could replace one bar per other party member. That is, a single bar that shows how far ahead or behind you are compared to the highest-threat person that isn't you. But in the end, the only thing that matters is ahead versus behind, and target-of-target tells you that. If your target is focussed on you, you're ahead, and if it's focussed on someone else, that person is ahead. Or watch what the foe is doing. If it's running toward / shooting at / hitting you, you're ahead, if not, you're behind.

But that just brings us back to the need for situational awareness, which lives inside "learn to play". So "learn to play" is a valid point.

Point taken.

But guess what - we DON'T have ability channel bars for multiple adds either...

...and i don't see "cryies" to add additional bars for ALL mobs.

And im still don't see how exactly this bar will "force tanks to tunnel"?

Or it's just your imagination?

Again dude - stop talking sh*t. Especially when someone made a QoL suggestion that actually gonna be USEFUL.

Please point out exactly where I said that a threat bar would "force tanks to tunnel". I never did.

I asked what happens when a tank tunnels on a single mob because anyone who has any group experience with MMO's will know that there are players that tunnel on certain objectives.

One example is the DPS that neglects adds, threat dumps or mechanics because they want to top the damage meter or parse and doing things like switching targets, dumping threat or moving etc takes away from their DPS.

Is that a player issue? Yes, but humans have a tendency to take features designed to make things easier for granted and ignore their own responsibilities.

As has already been pointed out, each mob has its own threat level with regards to everyone in the party. Can you imagine the clutter on the UI if each mob displayed a threat bar for every member of the party and each player had a threat bar for every mob?

While I do not believe that a threat bar is necessary and if implemented will ultimately prove to be detrimental to the player base, I will say that if BW can implement a single threat bar for a player's target that is off by default and can be toggled on by the player at what they consider a reasonable cost in development, then I would have fewer objections. That said, however, if BW does implement that single threat bar that a player can toggle on, expect these forums to blow up with additional demands. The mice are never satisfied with any cookie.

Guys. Dont get mad. Its just a suggestion. I am noob at tanking. I have some problems but i am still learning. Frequently, I have this problem: I´m solo tanking and I have 3 mercenaries with a lot of dps. I put the guard on one of them but the other two still give me problems. I make the rotation as I see on the guides of Dulfy, I have the full armor set with the correct amount of defense, absorb and shield and sometimes I still lose aggro.

I just say, why the other class has bars and they can see how many dps or heals are doing and for the tank, the only tool available the target of target?

I´m not saying that the threat bar is the solution, but it could help. Maybe that bar would be able only for tank spec. It could be on champions, elites and boss but not on strongs or weaks enemies.

I have another question. Why is so difficult to find tanks for operations?

How many times the players get boring waiting for 1 tank and leaves the groups?

It´s because the mechanics, or the difficult of the class ? Why?

Guys. Dont get mad. Its just a suggestion. I am noob at tanking. I have some problems but i am still learning. Frequently, I have this problem: I´m solo tanking and I have 3 mercenaries with a lot of dps. I put the guard on one of them but the other two still give me problems. I make the rotation as I see on the guides of Dulfy, I have the full armor set with the correct amount of defense, absorb and shield and sometimes I still lose aggro.

I just say, why the other class has bars and they can see how many dps or heals are doing and for the tank, the only tool available the target of target?

I´m not saying that the threat bar is the solution, but it could help. Maybe that bar would be able only for tank spec. It could be on champions, elites and boss but not on strongs or weaks enemies.

I have another question. Why is so difficult to find tanks for operations?

How many times the players get boring waiting for 1 tank and leaves the groups?

It´s because the mechanics, or the difficult of the class ? Why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but even when I am in a group, I don't see any bars other than cast bars for DPS or heals. I don't see any bars to tell me how i am doing if I am DPS or if I am healing.

If I am DPS'ing and the mobs die, then I figure that I am doing ok. Likewise, if I am healing and the group lives, then I figure I am doing ok.

I don't use starparse, though, so maybe the bars you mention are a function of starparse.

Maybe I'm missing something, but even when I am in a group, I don't see any bars other than cast bars for DPS or heals. I don't see any bars to tell me how i am doing if I am DPS or if I am healing.

If I am DPS'ing and the mobs die, then I figure that I am doing ok. Likewise, if I am healing and the group lives, then I figure I am doing ok.

I don't use starparse, though, so maybe the bars you mention are a function of starparse.

Well. when i play with my healer (for example my operative) i can see how much heal makes the kolto injection or the kolto wave or kolto probes.

When i play with my dps ( my mercenary) i can see how much dmg make the heatseeker missile or the death from above.

Why if i hit with the tank i can see how much dmg im doing but not how much threat. i dont care about how much dmg im doing as tank, i want to know how much threat im doing. Dmg is problem of the dps

why not just build in game log reading of damage,healing,threat so then nobody will need it and then not everyone needs to use starparse one person can see all the results due to the game giving the direct information like FFXIV, WoW and other MMOs.

why not just build in game log reading of damage,healing,threat so then nobody will need it and then not everyone needs to use starparse one person can see all the results due to the game giving the direct information like FFXIV, WoW and other MMOs.

because the staff prefer make weekly sales than real good things for the game..