Can someone tell me how to defeat Sergeant Gunnery Shorzen in Trooper class

Spicymon

Im stuck on the Battle of the Gauntlet mission cause of Shorzen, im only at level 37 commando, and im wondering is it possible to beat him at this level or can i go find someone in the game to help me beat him?

I think I had some difficulty with him as a Vanguard w/ Elara healing him, but a few tries brought me through. A good way to deal with difficulty enemies I find is to have a healer companion and, as Commando/Mercenary, spam heal yourself while wearing him down with DoTs, nuking him during stuns and just making sure you stay maxed out on health while slowly whittling him down. And of course, bring Medpacks and Stims, just in case.

• 5 months later...

Well I stopped playing in June cos I couldnt get passed this level even when leveled up above level 40. Came back and now 43 nearly 44.

It wont let you use Elara for heals will it the class uses Yuun then swaps to Tanno. You cant enter the area without Tanno. IMHO all the other characters are useless because they cant heal.

I even reallocated last skill point to a weapon skill (was mostly concentrating on combat medical).

I followed your advice and created / bought loads of med packs to constantly heal and even though he now much lower level still defeats all the time. Yes Ive tried up close combat and at a distance. Its his fire droids that do the damage despite my heals.

I have reported as a "bug" as I do not think it fair within the game and is effecting my enjoyment so I just sit on ship and engage PVP Warzones to get cash for the Uniform repairs at Med Centre.

Very very frustrating. I will now try getting rid of Tanno once in Railgun access corridor and will try and call Elara.

Edited by emacu

Nope - So frustrating still. Can only call Tanno Vik. All others unavailable. Whats worse now is Shorzen is levelling. Hes gone from 39 to 40.... ! ***.

This is impossible. Always so close then he wipes out whole red bars of health with his fire when hes nearly gone !

Any other ideas?

It's been about a year since I did this mission, but I'm sure I did it alone. Can't tell you anymore how exactly though.

If you keep having problems, ask someone in general chat to help you with the mission. As long as you activate "Allow access to same story areas" (not exactly what it's called, but more or less) in preferences, group members can enter your class story instances and help you there.

If you want a trooper to help you, use general chat on your ship :)

One of the most maddening things about this game is how wildly the story boss fights vary from class to class in terms of difficulty. It almost seems with some classes they want to force you to group in order to win while with other classes the boss fights are a complete joke that you can solo easily. There is no middle ground with bosses. Some you feel you beat way too easily for them to be a major character/enemy and others are just so unfairly overpowered it makes the game so annoying you don't want to play for awhile. *Shrug*

As I recall from doing it, most of his damage comes from aoe ground effects and meleeing, so as a Commando, I blew all my dps cooldowns while Vikk tanked him, and when Vikk went down I kited him around the area, using DoTs, instants, and the occasional channeled cast when I had time to plant my feet. I believe you fight him on a curved catwalk area, with plenty of room to run from one end to the other, then use stuns/knockbacks to get past him when you have to turn around.

Well ive followed the advice. I tooled up to level 45 and with stims and meds packs. Even allocated Skill points of last 2 levels to Non-medical side (onto combat). Tooled up Tanno also. As Combat Medic it wont let me call Elara or even any of the others. It wont even let me call them in this "instance" to craft more med packs whilst fighting - they are all grayed out.

Ive nearly got him every single time but once Tanno goes down Shorzen calls fire droid and a rapid heal droid for himself so my red bar disappears as rapidly as his increases. how the F____ can 2 lvl 45s KEEP getting beaten by a single lvl 39. One time he EVEN leveled to 40 ! I swear I couldn't believe my eyes. Ive tried the up close. Ive tried the distance heals / attacks and ive tried the running away. I have lost count how many times Ive tried to beat him. What makes it worse that all the others re-spawn on that floor after log off.

I have heard others say that this was when they got disinterested, certainly in trooper.

Anyway - I have just created a ticket because I think its unfair within the game "Scoring" rules and its ruining game play. I also think its blocked my "class" progress as I can not do / even find any missions on same / higher level planets ie Belsavis. Bloody Ridiculous. I will let you know how I get on.

Well ive followed the advice. I tooled up to level 45 and with stims and meds packs. Even allocated Skill points of last 2 levels to Non-medical side (onto combat). Tooled up Tanno also. As Combat Medic it wont let me call Elara or even any of the others. It wont even let me call them in this "instance" to craft more med packs whilst fighting - they are all grayed out.

Ive nearly got him every single time but once Tanno goes down Shorzen calls fire droid and a rapid heal droid for himself so my red bar disappears as rapidly as his increases. how the F____ can 2 lvl 45s KEEP getting beaten by a single lvl 39. One time he EVEN leveled to 40 ! I swear I couldn't believe my eyes. Ive tried the up close. Ive tried the distance heals / attacks and ive tried the running away. I have lost count how many times Ive tried to beat him. What makes it worse that all the others re-spawn on that floor after log off.

I have heard others say that this was when they got disinterested, certainly in trooper.

Anyway - I have just created a ticket because I think its unfair within the game "Scoring" rules and its ruining game play. I also think its blocked my "class" progress as I can not do / even find any missions on same / higher level planets ie Belsavis. Bloody Ridiculous. I will let you know how I get on.

Christ...

If you're on Jedi Covenant, shoot Hadriel or Nerdanel a message. They're my Vanguard and Shadow, respectively, and they're both level 50. I'll bring my Vanguard, he's in full Black Hole gear. We'll kick his ***.

I killed him today while underleveled (level 37), so it can be done. The trick for me was to enter heroic moment. I hit him with the Agent, Consular, and Inquis Heroic Abilities, then quickly hit him with a cryo grenade. After that, I just alternated between Gut, Shockstrike, Pulse Cannon, and High Impact Bolt.

(Note, however, that this is for Vanguard, not commando, so...)

Sgt Shorzen killed my Lvl 42 Vanguard Trooper at least 10 times before I beat him. Kudos to anyone who beat Shorzen while at a lower level!

There have been lots of good suggestions about battle tactics here, I'd just like to add my technique.

How do you use your keyboard & mouse to fight? I know lots of players use the number keys to select an attack, but I find it slows me down to do that because I'm looking from kybd to screen while choosing an attack. When I'm fighting, I barely look at my opponent. Instead, I use my A, S, D, & W keys to dodge his attacks, and use the mouse to select an attack from my abilities bar. This helps enormously in monitoring cooldowns on various weapons, as well as being able to easily monitor my opponent's and my health levels during a fight .

That said, I still couldn't beat Shorzen until I bought a med pak at Fleet that gave me up to 3375 health points when I finally used it. I pretty much let Tanno Vik do his own thing without interfering with him while I attacked. I still found it necessary to get out of Shorzen's weapon reticle when he was about to firebomb me, that firebomb is devastating. This method of fighting let me and Tanno both survive our final battle with Sgt. Shorzen.

Well - that was unusual. Over last few days leveled again to 46 and whilst others on GAUNTLET appropriately died much quicker (have concentrated my allocatable points into Combat not Medic) SHORZEN was no change. He didnt level this time and stayed at 39. This included new "Force Unite" skill and Tech skill. Put in another Ticket AGAIN. Going back through my screen shots I realised Id been on the GAUNTLET since LAST MARCH !!! No wonder I got fed up and stopped playing in April (thought it was about June).

Last night was "in game" behind a rock and a helper-droid turned up and told me they wanted to sort out my problem and to head for GAUNTLET. Conversed in-game on help-panel (he didn't like whisper) he followed and watched. Level definitely seemed to have problems during this process (lifts disappearing, getting moved about and lost) but in all fairness he was apparently trying things out.

I explained Id had nightmares about the GAUNTLET - He watched me get killed several times saying he wasnt allowed to help to much. Then said it wasnt going to happen and he was going to try and "advance me on". This didnt work either. I tried again from GUNNERY ACCESS this time and he said to use "interrupt" weapon "Disabling Shot" when SHORZ was prep'ing his heals and flame droid. This still didnt work and my point was proved - I also explained I had tried all you guys advice inc. Med Pack / Ultra heals at least minute etc. Same thing kept happening. He said he had to speak to a Supervisor.

Then he came back and said had permission to "move me on" passed Shorzen. Of course I "bit his hand off" in the proviso it would take 30 mins to sort with me logged off. I told him I thought it was bugged and he said it wasnt and it was just a tough fight - I said I just must be "crap" if 2 Lvl 46' 1/2's cant do a single 39 even if elite? (he didnt say anything to that!)....

So anyway, logged back on and although Shorz was still there BUT it let me progress - you know those Crap back and forth scenes where you go to Gen.Garza, to Republic Fleet to Ship to General Gaza to Ship again? I have to say it felt like I had "cheated" a bit.... albeit with good reason.

Just exited ship to start next on next Class instance and BANG I WAS back in front on SHORZEN with TANNO !!!!!!! ...... I nearly had a nervous breakdown on the spot. I was just about to send another Ticket when my brain not heart took over and I attacked..... GUESS WHAT SHORZEN went down straight away and TANNO died just before he did. Only problem was I had to start above all over again with Gen.Gaza ! Needless to Say I didnt care and I didnt feel like Id cheated anymore. I definitely think they realised there was a problem?

Interestingly a few NEWBS on Coruscant "General chat" said about the same time they had lost all recent data inc. Creds on a "roll back" last night and some were even on about quitting. Blocked one cos he got abusive when a few of us told him to Chill the ***k out as its only a game (and I told him what I been through).... Did any of you have any issues around this time - any one think this is coincidence?

Soooo Finally, not sure to be totally embarrassed I was "crap" seeing as it wasnt bugged (right?) or just completely glad its over - PLEASE GOD DONT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN next time I "lone meet" an Elite Boss - irrespective of Lvl! THANKS for all your help guys!

Thoughts?

You've certainly had your share of odd experiences concerning Shorzen. I feel your pain, I had a lot of trouble with Capt. Jesh on Quesh. I never did complete it on my own, had a friend join me to take him down. Belatedly I found suggestions that I was supposed to interact with some consoles in the room with Jesh that would have made the fight less one-sided. I wonder if there was something like that with Shorzen, too. Maybe down in the pit that we were fighting around...? Dunno.

Glad you got past Shorzen without the "cheat". Based upon your description and my own experience in finally winning that battle, I feel like luck had a big part to play. That and the 3,500 credit med pack I purchased at Fleet. :cool:

Don

Thanks Don... Nope spent hundreds on MedPacks / Making Med Packs and Stims of all Varieties and made sure Armour was topped up at all times. I take your point about Panels - I even went back and made sure I cleared the level of re-spawns each time inc. the R2s & Welders in the pit... Didnt see any other interactive panels though... What does this do? disable some of his kit? Dunno. I even checked up above to see if you can stealth him. Will def bear that in mind about the panels though....

TBH I had problems with TAVUS' ship as well before all this got locked in behind a blast door that was supposed to be green and wasnt (by Med Bay). In the end only way out was to "Fleet"... "Stuck" didnt work. I never got any answers for that one. Will be mega Paranoid next time I get sent to a Capital Ship though. One thing is for sure my advice is now NEVER leave it so long before raising tickets and if they dont respond raise another.

sanjayaH, did you read this entire thread or did you not bother and dive in start posting like a 9 year old ? ! grow up mate. "sanjayaH has not made any friends yet".... Hahaha No wonder.... (thats me sinking to your lvl)

I did that mission a couple of nights ago (yay! new buff ) and I didn't have any trouble. I started it lvl 40 and ding'd 41 half way through the missioln. I used Yuun and just healed through all that crap. I stayed close to him for Kolto bombs and that was it.

I found it more annoying all those droids which a put a nasty dot on you that also interrupts your stuff. I had to cc them to make pulls less stressing

Edited by wainot-keel

• 1 month later...
I died a few times but finally beat him rather easily. I opened up with Mortar Volley sent Vik in then kept disable shot on him as much as possible to disrupt that wicked AOE he has. Vik died but as long as I kept him from hitting me with that AOE he didn't do as much damage