We want more personal story!!

Master_Calrandir

First off I just want to say how much I love this game and can't wait to see where it's headed in the future!! But I can't help to not worry about one of the things that makes SWTOR stand out... story. And the choices you can make that alter your story. I understand that there's a bigger threat in the galaxy that requires faction based story lines, but even as Luke was fighting against the Empire in all 3 movies, he still had his personal quest that he was on to discover who his father is and to confront him. I just feel that I feel most immersed into my character when I'm making personal choices in my story. I support Bioware in bringing in faction based story because that is important in a galactic war. Just don't shy away from the stories that shaped our characters into becoming the hero's they are at the end of their 3rd chapter. I know you listen to what the players want and so I hope other players read this and share their love and passion of personal story in SWTOR and how we want to see more of our character's path down their personal story. :) Edited by Master_Calrandir

Dont worry! im pretty sure that we will get more personal story. Just in the last year bioware gave us 3 new planets and now they will realese yet onather expansio that is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! So im pretty sure that we will get both new classes and an extension on the ones that we already have! hopefully we will know more in a few months!

Considering Bioware keeps saying they are planning to stick to the generic faction stories like Makeb has and that the players prefer those (ignoring any evidence to the contrary) I wouldn't get my hopes up. They haven't even said personal stories are even on the wall of crazy :(

Considering Bioware keeps saying they are planning to stick to the generic faction stories like Makeb has and that the players prefer those (ignoring any evidence to the contrary) I wouldn't get my hopes up. They haven't even said personal stories are even on the wall of crazy :(

I loved the way Bioware tackled that issue, in this one event... Like, someone asked if class storylines were coming back soon and some Bioware rep asked who loved Makeb; Unsurprisingly, there was cheering in the room, only for the guy to be a buzzkiller and implying "what for?", given the crowd's reaction, concerning Makeb.

Yeahhh, I know: Makes no sense at all, which is what everyone in that room thought. :rolleyes:

First off I just want to say how much I love this game and can't wait to see where it's headed in the future!! But I can't help to not worry about one of the things that makes SWTOR stand out... story. And the choices you can make that alter your story. I understand that there's a bigger threat in the galaxy that requires faction based story lines, but even as Luke was fighting against the Empire in all 3 movies, he still had his personal quest that he was on to discover who his father is and to confront him. I just feel that I feel most immersed into my character when I'm making personal choices in my story. I support Bioware in bringing in faction based story because that is important in a galactic war. Just don't shy away from the stories that shaped our characters into becoming the hero's they are at the end of their 3rd chapter. I know you listen to what the players want and so I hope other players read this and share their love and passion of personal story in SWTOR and how we want to see more of our character's path down their personal story. :)

Sorry, your request involves too much effort for Bioware. All anyone's going to get is the generic world-missions from now on, per word of BW.

It makes no sense whatsoever. Why throw out the main draw and strength of the game?

Because after the initial game was completed, most of the developers were let go, including writers. It took them an entire year to make Makeb. Makeb isn't even that long. In fact, the few hours it does last is artificially lengthened by the way that every area of the planet is filled with a thousand mobs who were put there specifically to slow you down. If you remove the bull, Makeb is probably two hours long. This is what they spent a whole year of development on.

Yes, we all want chapter 4 of our class stories. So how long will it take them to develop 8 different versions of a new chapter? Maybe we would get this new chapter in 2020's expansion, assuming the game is still around then. I know this is a really cynical post, but I'm left with nothing but cynical thoughts after reading BioWare's really insulting damage control on the subject.

Edited by HaoZhao

The thing with the class storylines is that they don't work well with group leveling. Yes, it's fun and all, but MMOs work much better when you're playing with friends and I don't want to sit and watch my friend do a bunch of cool stuff I don't get to participate in. That, I think, is one reason they don't want to do more class storylines.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing more variations on the storylines depending on the class you have, but even then it would be hard to work with that if there is a group of people doing the storyline.

It's a matter of group questing vs solo play and this is an MMO, which leads to more group play than anything else. Personally, I think the storylines right now are fine. I mean, how much more can your character do after they've finished their storylines at fifty? Some of them are pretty much THE BIGGEST BADDEST GUY EVER. Can't really top that.

Because after the initial game was completed, most of the developers were let go, including writers. It took them an entire year to make Makeb. Makeb isn't even that long. In fact, the few hours it does last is artificially lengthened by the way that every area of the planet is filled with a thousand mobs who were put there specifically to slow you down. If you remove the bull, Makeb is probably two hours long. This is what they spent a whole year of development on.

Yes, we all want chapter 4 of our class stories. So how long will it take them to develop 8 different versions of a new chapter? Maybe we would get this new chapter in 2020's expansion, assuming the game is still around then. I know this is a really cynical post, but I'm left with nothing but cynical thoughts after reading BioWare's really insulting damage control on the subject.

That is a fairly inaccurate statement, since Makeb was being developed LONG before the game even came out, unless of course, you can bring voice actors back from the dead, for the sole purpose of recording some dialogue lines.

The thing with the class storylines is that they don't work well with group leveling. Yes, it's fun and all, but MMOs work much better when you're playing with friends and I don't want to sit and watch my friend do a bunch of cool stuff I don't get to participate in. That, I think, is one reason they don't want to do more class storylines.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing more variations on the storylines depending on the class you have, but even then it would be hard to work with that if there is a group of people doing the storyline.

It's a matter of group questing vs solo play and this is an MMO, which leads to more group play than anything else. Personally, I think the storylines right now are fine. I mean, how much more can your character do after they've finished their storylines at fifty? Some of them are pretty much THE BIGGEST BADDEST GUY EVER. Can't really top that.

They don't wanna do it because there's apparently not enough profit in it, NOT because people don't find it fun, which I honestly think it's BS. One of the main selling points of the game was the storylines, plus the fact you and your friends could do a bunch of them together, planet by planet.

How do you go from a major selling point to actually implying that said selling point is a weakness by itself is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

well i dont know for sure but i would expect that they will add more personal story at some time as they have hinted they are working on something really big that they cant tell us about i cant think of anything else that would be big other than maybe cooppve space missions.

What they've said numerous times before is that personal or class storylines are done and now they're moving forward with Avengers-type storyline approach.

There's no hint concerning more class storylines, other than the ones people usually come up with, on this forum, without providing a shred of evidence.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Taking away class storylines has basically killed any prospective interest in me leveling alts. Was Makeb nice? Of course. I liked having my SI doing a mission for Marr with dialogue options that made it feel like I was making a power play while helping the Empire on another planet. In fact, I want more of that. I want more story regarding my political intrigue and power plays. I did all that stuff in my story and... so what? It comes down to nothing?

I sat around and watched my friend's class story every time we grouped and I ENJOYED it. It was like watching a cutscene before getting to the boss fight, which helped both of us with leveling. BW taking that prospect away because it didn't support groups is a ruse imo, covering up the fact they let go of many of their staff and lost much of their writing team as well.

What they've said numerous times before is that personal or class storylines are done and now they're moving forward with Avengers-type storyline approach.

This has been stated several times in this thread already, but no one are providing sources. Where has BioWare said this?

This has been stated several times in this thread already, but no one are providing sources. Where has BioWare said this?

SOURCE: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5388001&postcount=76

Q: In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future?

Hall: I can't reveal anything about our future plans, but we're always experimenting with new styles of storytelling for SWTOR. Some stories work especially well as a great big group team-up where players compete for the spotlight during conversations (hence the Avengers analogy), but that doesn't mean players have to be grouped in order to enjoy them. All of our content that isn't specifically written to be a class story is designed to work equally well whether you're in a group or flying solo.

People are not making this stuff up. It's the reality of things.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Thanks, still that didn't seem very conclusive. He's talking about "content that isn't specifically written to be a class story", which to me would sound like there are still class stories to be made.

IMO, it's just the typical PR spin, so people wouldn't go into an uproar, which they did regardless.

If you've seen Avengers, you know that the heroes in question put aside whatever they're dealing with in their standalone movies and band together, to face whatever evil is about to be unleashed. Regardless, when it comes to facing themselves, their enemies and their inner demons, they'll still have their standalone movie pictures.

Having only this so called Avengers kind of approach pretty much denies that, plus you have this concerning Makeb...

(...) BioWare learned a lot during the lengthy and groundbreakingly expensive development of The Old Republic, and has used those lessons in the development of its first expansion. For one thing, the expansion won't feature unique quests for each of the game's eight classes; a process which would be "very, very expensive," Hickman said. (...)

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/4133266/star-wars-the-old-republic-rise-of-the-hutt-cartel-preview

If he finds expensive developing class storylines for a SINGLE planet, imagine developing them for a couple of planets or more, for a single act. Again, it's just the way things are.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Bioware wont continue the personal story in the game unless they get a fat truck delivered to them with tons of money in it

Either that or people buying LOADS of super rip-off cartel stuff

Its a shame though really.... because me personally I LOVED the personal story-lines and have made several characters of different classes (even double ones of the same just so I could re-play it)

But if this is the way they want to go with the game I say let it die and let it be replaced by something better made by another group of people

Oh well, I still have six more classes to level up... Here's hoping something changes before I'm at that point.

Enjoy the journey while it lasts.

I like Makeb, and the new stories - and how they all have a little "personal" touch to them depending on your class... but they are nowhere near the awesomeness that were the original Class stories. :(

Here's to hoping that a miracle happens somewhere down the road and they change their minds about the class stories.

I loved the personal stories as well, but let's face it's 8 times the work for the same amount of content. Which isn't going to fly when the studio in question has had 3 lay offs in the last 2 years and one was massive enough to shut down an entire branch office.

Also, I sort of feel the stories were done, and I don't want the stories to have to evolve into DBZ level of stupid villain power levels. I mean in one of the stories you fight and defeat the Emp himself, I mean yeesh talk about not leaving much room for you to make a more powerful villain without seeming cheezy.

Edited by StarMagus

I loved the personal stories as well, but let's face it's 8 times the work for the same amount of content. Which isn't going to fly when the studio in question has had 3 lay offs in the last 2 years and one was massive enough to shut down an entire branch office.

Also, I sort of feel the stories were done, and I don't want the stories to have to evolve into DBZ level of stupid villain power levels. I mean in one of the stories you fight and defeat the Emp himself, I mean yeesh talk about not leaving much room for you to make a more powerful villain without seeming cheezy.

Not only that but I'm still curious to see how much of the former - when the game first came out - and current actually finished every single class storyline in the game.

You can't exactly expect them to write, develop the environments, record dialogue and so forth, when everyone goes wild on the SW storyline, for instance, and less than 5(!)% plays the Smuggler one. Where's the recoup of the original investment? What's the point?

People at times forget this is a business first and foremost.

If you've seen Avengers, you know that the heroes in question put aside whatever they're dealing with in their standalone movies and band together, to face whatever evil is about to be unleashed. Regardless, when it comes to facing themselves, their enemies and their inner demons, they'll still have their standalone movie pictures.

Having only this so called Avengers kind of approach pretty much denies that, plus you have this concerning Makeb...

Yet in order to get more viewers, they are putting out more individual movies like Thor: the dark world.

Same thing here, group-only story only works once for each of my alts. As a result, I am losing interest in the game.

Yet in order to get more viewers, they are putting out more individual movies like Thor: the dark world.

Same thing here, group-only story only works once for each of my alts. As a result, I am losing interest in the game.

Had you taken the time to actually read what I wrote, you would've noticed that in the EXACT SAME post you quoted, there's this...

"They'll still have".

As in the FUTURE. Either way, they're aiming for the Avengers FILM storyline-approach, NOT Avengers AND standalone pictures approach.

Edited by Darth_Wicked