Reasons why you prefer either Republic or Empire.

Path-x

I prefer Empire over Republic. Even as a kid watching OT I always kinda like Empire more (I am a decent person btw:p). The reason for this is probably because the Empire look cooler (Vader and Sidious are badas, they have great ships, nice equipment, fancy uniforms etc.). I think the same is mirrored in SWTOR. Sith (or agents) are cool, confident, intimidating. Imperials have (in my opinion) better looking uniforms, equipments and stuff. SWTOR is the first Star Wars game that allowed me to properly play an Imperial/Sith.

There is another reason why I love playing Empire and hate playing Republic in SWTOR. I will start with saying that I really like how SWTOR dropped the usual sharp contrast between good and evil. There are many of instances when you see Republic corruption at all levels and even Jedi are occasionally shown to be complete hypocrites. So in the end you have bad stuff in both factions. But when playing the Empire, the characters are at least actively involved in the manipulation and other evil stuff which makes it more interesting and complex and you feel that you are in the control of things. For example (spoiler), while in reality being a right hand to Baras, he at least involves you into his scheming - he shares his plans with you (spies, Republic rivals) and he let you know about his inner fightings with his political rivals (Dromund Kaas slave rebellion).

While on the Republic side, I feel like the characters are nothing but tools in the hands of some higher instance. They are clueless of what is transpiring at the "higher level" or behind the scenes, and they are on the receiving end of the manipulation. Apart from Smuggler, the characters are quite boring - ranging from classically narrow-sighted Jedi to dumb patriotic Trooper.

Edited by Path-x

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on the Republic side, I feel like the characters are nothing but tools in the hands of some higher instance. They are clueless of what is transpiring at the "higher level" or behind the scenes, and they are on the receiving end of the manipulation.

You have not played a BH have you?

IMO first two chapters are great - you are a bounty hunter actually hunting bounties.

Then chapter 3 hits and you become a pawn of the empire, even if you do not want to be.

I had to force myself to complete that story and she has still only level 53, because makeb is more of the same.

While on the Republic side, I feel like the characters are nothing but tools in the hands of some higher instance. They are clueless of what is transpiring at the "higher level" or behind the scenes, and they are on the receiving end of the manipulation.

warrior - lap dog for pretty much everyone, SI - used by zash, then defending himself is kinda the higher instance, agent - he does what command tells him to do more or less, BH - kill for money - i'd say its "lower" instance and then ^ pawn for empire

Edited by RaptorClown

warrior - lap dog for pretty much everyone, SI - used by zash, then defending himself is kinda the higher instance, agent - he does what command tells him to do more or less, BH - kill for money - i'd say its "lower" instance and then ^ pawn for empire

It's an MMORPG or to be more specific traditional RPG games, so regardless of your role in the story even if you're in high position like Sith Lord, member of the Dark Council or Grand Master of the Jedi Order even if npcs around you salute or show a proper respect regarding to your rank and titles. You'd still end up running errands for them, being their lap dog who bend to their will in the end so there are no real "freedom" on both sides.

I think what Path-x meant is being Sith feel powerful and you have the freedom to kill anyone in lower status on you whim. You don't have to follow the code or any kind of rules all the time, in Empire's society Sith are meant to dominate they are upper class and is to be worship or respect, and not to mention schemes and backstabbing between them so it's feel like you're in control of most situation in opposite to Jedi perspective but the Jedi concept are completly different. You're meant to live to serve and protect while uphold the Jedi's teaching so to some people it's feel powerless and a pawn to someone more powerful.

I hate to break this but by talking about which side has more freedom, I think we're going off topic now.

Edited by shamfurdispray

Well as I stated in my post. All characters are pretty much servants; both on Republic and Imperial side. The difference is that on the Imperial side the characters are at least the one performing the manipulation and evil stuff on a pretty high instance and their masters share their information with them. On the republic side you are still a servant but on a much lower instance and without any clue what is really going on. And mostly you are the target of manipulation instead of being involved in manipulating others.

Edited by Path-x

Doing general planet quests as Republic usually doesn't make my skin crawl, and their class stories tend to be a bit more flexible and fit what I'm trying to go for with my characters better. Being anything but majority dark as an imperial character usually feels like trying to bludgeon a square peg into a round hole. The only one to really pull off other moralities in a convincingly consistent manner is the Agent, and even then you either have to ignore or pretend you never did the overwhelming majority of the general quests. Edited by Bleeters

I prefer the Empire, because the Empire is much more interesting. Especially the light side / dark side -choices. In Republic, things are usually black and white. You can do the tactically good, "evil" solution or the "dumb", "good" solution, or sometimes you can decide to do right thing or do something really evil. Like "kick puppies for the fun or it"-evil.

On the Empire's side, things are more complex. You could say that "evil" in there isn't as "evil" as it would be in the Republic's side, since it can be partly explained by the Empire's culture. If you were raised in the Empire (especially by the sith) and your parents executed lower-ranked people every other day all the time, how are you supposed to know killing people is "wrong"? If someone has to loosen their morals a bit in order to survive through the Sith Academy, isn't it understandable? What if you're light-sided but sometimes have to do some bad things so the other sith won't find out?

Not to mention that in the Republic, sending someone to prison is probably less evil than killing them, even if it's a prisoner of war. But in the Empire's side, prisoners of war probably get tortured for more information or things like that. So is it such a bad thing after all to kill the General at the end of Black Talon? It's a quick, painless death, after all.

That's why I prefer the Empire. It's much more interesting.

Hands down the Empire, and for the reasons others have already touched upon.

The stories are overall better, and the choices feel more fitting - and especially the Agent and Warrior storylines have some really great choices IMO.

Edited by Callaron

I like the republic mainly for the freedom. I can't see a force sensitive on the empire side telling the Sith, hey I'm not interested in joining the Sith and living their live the way they would like to.

In the Jedi Order, Jedi leave the order with no problems (such as being killed) and are freed to live their lives the way they would like to.

Also if I want to help someone I can and it is more acceptable to do that then with the Sith. I am not saying you can't but for the most part the sith seem a bit selfish for my taste. They are always out for themselves and that is not me.

Empire has better stories, design aesthetics, and British accents which just sound more legit in this game.

A lot of the Republic characters irritate me like Syo Bakarn, Orgus Din or Ardun Kothe, those old gruff rancher types who function as your proverbial "boxing coach" telling you to "fight on kid".

There's good/evil on both sides but the Empire is less hypocritical about what they are.

Edited by Projawa

Conceptually, and when it comes to the side quests, I prefer the Republic . . . but my favorite classes to play are all Imperial. In most cases, it is simply because of:

1. Voice acting/dialogue options. IMHO, Imperial classes can, overall, pull off a greater variety of responses, particularly in regards to the Force users.

2. Companions. I don't know why, most of my favorites are Imperial.

3. Gear appearance. It's not as much of an issue with adaptive armor, but for the non-Force user classes especially, I like the Empire's stuff a lot better.

Empire, because it takes me back to my kotor days. The republic feels as a to good place. Hell i dont even think that such a place, fullied with mostly good people (such as the republic) exists in real life. In the empire evrything seems dark and u can either be a shining light in the dark or a black hole swallowing upp the litle light that remains!

I like the republic mainly for the freedom. I can't see a force sensitive on the empire side telling the Sith, hey I'm not interested in joining the Sith and living their live the way they would like to.

In the Jedi Order, Jedi leave the order with no problems (such as being killed) and are freed to live their lives the way they would like to.

Well that is not the as shiny as you described it. The Jedi usually "kidnap" kids at the very early age to raise them in their own ways. Those kids don't go to regular school. They can leave the order but then they can be bums. They can't be Engineers or whatever they would desire to be if their lives weren't ruined by the Jedi. :)

I prefer empire, partly because the voice acting is better in my opinion. I also like it because I feel most of the stories are better.

Yea I agree on that. I prefer Imperial voice acting. And storylines are definitely better on imperial characters. But that's just a consequence of the fact that they are the Empire (which is generally more complex and interesting than the Republic).

Edited by Path-x

It's very mixed. The Empire's storylines do seem to be more interesting, but on the other hand, you never have to feel like a douche while playing Republic. There's also the fact that, at least as a Sith Inquistor (the only Imperial storyline I've done to a significant degree and the only one I will do, because it's so viscerally satisfying), LS options tend to feel... unsatisfying, because it's really hard to come up with a valid reason for siding with the Empire while being light side at the same time. I can come up with possibilities for a Chiss Imperial Agent who's serving the Ascendency first and foremost, or a Sith Warrior who simply wants to protect what's theirs by birth and heritage (I don't play either because I'm blacklisting non-Force classes until they introduce SGRs and because I'm not really fond of the Warrior's character in general, though this could theoretically change with time, but I also don't like melee that much), but for the Inquisitor, who was a slave and in some dialogue options can still express empathy with slaves because of that, gives few plausible light-sided reasons for continuing to work with the Empire, as opposed to just going rogue and seeking understanding and power independently. The best I've been able to come up with is "protect Imperial culture and Sith knowledge from the Republic's attempts to wipe them out completely," and I know it's pretty feeble.

The Jedi, on the other hand, never are lacking in reasons to go light side, because duh.

I suppose the verdict is... the Inquisitor is by far the most fun class to play as and fight with, overall, but in the end, in terms of story and roleplaying, the best experiences I've gotten have been with the Republic, because I feel that the characters are more consistent and I feel better playing them.

I generally prefer Empire. The individual class stories are more interesting all in all (and since I still alt a lot, that's important), and there seems to be a lot more potential for variety of characters, as well. In the Republic, you're either a saint or an ******* from Light/Dark choices, but dialogue options outside of those are pretty much always geared almost exclusively to the "good guy" side of things.

I'm not really fond of the Warrior's character in general

Well Warrior should be played full dark side. I mean the storyline, the scenes, the conversation options and voice acting is made in a way that it makes you feel like an ultimate badas (if you enjoy that - I love it:p). The storyline establishes your enemies as powerful and confident. The enemies usually boast before the fight, then you easily defeat them and then on top of that you have great options for mocking them and crushing their spirits. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than this stuff (especially if you do it to an overconfident Jedi). I mean you have some degree of this on Inquisitor but nowhere near as good and satisfying.

Some examples:

Rylon: Please tell me, did he face his fate well?

Warrior: He whimpered like a craven coward

*Quinn informs the Jedi that he intercepted her transmission*

Warrior: Your failure is complete. How do you feel now?

Ukabi: I am Ukabi

Warrior: I am your destruction (my personal favourite:))

Girik: Impossible. Lord Rathari will still be you and your master's downfall

Warrior: Find some self-respect, worm...

Edited by Path-x

Well Warrior should be played full dark side. I mean the storyline, the scenes, the conversation options and voice acting is made in a way that it makes you feel like an ultimate badas (if you enjoy that - I love it:p). The storyline establishes your enemies as powerful and confident. The enemies usually boast before the fight, then you easily defeat them and then on top of that you have great options for mocking them and crushing their spirits. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than this stuff (especially if you do it to an overconfident Jedi). I mean you have some degree of this on Inquisitor but nowhere near as good and satisfying.

Some examples:

Rylon: Please tell me, did he face his fate well?

Warrior: He whimpered like a craven coward

*Quinn informs the Jedi that he intercepted her transmission*

Warrior: Your failure is complete. How do you feel now?

Ukabi: I am Ukabi

Warrior: I am your destruction (my personal favourite:))

Girik: Impossible. Lord Rathari will still be you and your master's downfall

Warrior: Find some self-respect, worm...

Obviously mileage will vary, but I never really liked being dark sided. Especially not with Vette around; really, I don't see how I could ever summon up enough anger to even use the dark side very well after spending enough time with her.

but for the Inquisitor, who was a slave and in some dialogue options can still express empathy with slaves because of that, gives few plausible light-sided reasons for continuing to work with the Empire, as opposed to just going rogue and seeking understanding and power independently. The best I've been able to come up with is "protect Imperial culture and Sith knowledge from the Republic's attempts to wipe them out completely," and I know it's pretty feeble.

I kind of felt the same way for a bit. A first, the Inquisitor is forced to become a Sith. So he had no choice, but you figure eventually a light sided Sith would leave. But what I came up with is that he stays with the goal of becoming emperor and changing the Sith's ways to be less evil and cruel. And in the conversations with Ashara and maybe other characters, you can tell them that is your goal. But besides that, not all Sith are completely cruel. I remember there was a pure-blooded sith that the Jedi Knight fights that wasn't evil. It's just he was born in the Empire and that was enough to be loyal to the Empire. I can't remember any other examples, but there are probably more characters like that in Star Wars canon.

Well that is not the as shiny as you described it. The Jedi usually "kidnap" kids at the very early age to raise them in their own ways. Those kids don't go to regular school. They can leave the order but then they can be bums. They can't be Engineers or whatever they would desire to be if their lives weren't ruined by the Jedi. :)

From my understanding in researching this, (I have done a lot of researching on this as this bothered me) , the child is not actually taken from the parents unless they consent to . There have been no actual proof that the jedi have overstepped their bounds in regard to this practice, it may have happened but least if you leave the Order you arent' killed. The Emperor has decreed (there is a side mission in Balmorra you can do that shows this) if you are force sensitive you have two choices be sith or die. Not sure about you but I prefer living to dying so if I decide I don't want to be sith I will be killed? Hmm I think I still choose the jedi over the sith.

And as far as training not every Jedi is trained to be a knight . There are different paths you can follow, such as the Agricultural Corps or the Educational Corps (Jedi Path pa 45)

Not every Jedi can be trained to use combat. Some like the consular are trained more in diplomatic and in scholar areas and even if they leave the order they still can be a diplomatic so they have a skill to use in their life. (Jedi path pg. 49)

Neither side is perfect.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I kind of felt the same way for a bit. A first, the Inquisitor is forced to become a Sith. So he had no choice, but you figure eventually a light sided Sith would leave. But what I came up with is that he stays with the goal of becoming emperor and changing the Sith's ways to be less evil and cruel. And in the conversations with Ashara and maybe other characters, you can tell them that is your goal. But besides that, not all Sith are completely cruel. I remember there was a pure-blooded sith that the Jedi Knight fights that wasn't evil. It's just he was born in the Empire and that was enough to be loyal to the Empire. I can't remember any other examples, but there are probably more characters like that in Star Wars canon.

It's worth considering, but... well, would it really be easier or less messy to try to force the majority of evil Sith into compliance with your own policies, than to just have the Republic move in to do it? In any case, the Emperor is a demigod who's been around for thousands of years; how is one to assume that kind of power, especially while remaining light-sided?

Obviously mileage will vary, but I never really liked being dark sided. Especially not with Vette around; really, I don't see how I could ever summon up enough anger to even use the dark side very well after spending enough time with her.

Well obviously it is up to ones tastes. As for Vette, I was using shock collar on her at the beginning but soon she grew on me. I removed the shock collar the first time she asked and started to like her. The reason for that is that, despite still not approving some of the methods, she kinda gave into her fate of being part of the crew now. Her responses and conversation even indicates that, despite everything, she kinda like the Warrior. (sploier) A complete opposite of the extremely annoying Ashara. Still liking Vette doesn't reduce my pleasure/need to destroy the Jedi/republic and I don't see the reason why would it.

Empire has better stories, design aesthetics, and British accents which just sound more legit in this game.

A lot of the Republic characters irritate me like Syo Bakarn, Orgus Din or Ardun Kothe, those old gruff rancher types who function as your proverbial "boxing coach" telling you to "fight on kid".

There's good/evil on both sides but the Empire is less hypocritical about what they are.

Yes the empire does have the better stories, but the Empire is just as hypocritical as the Republic, they just don't have any morals.

But lets not forget the SI story is mostly about you surviving the Hypocrisy of your superior, The SW story has you betrayed too, and the Agent story is full of betrayal and hypocrisy. The BH story is full of it too, it's just in chapter 1 you are helping others betray their friends and allies, then in Chapter 2 well spoilers.

Most of the Hypocrisy on the Republic side is limited to individuals, not the society as a whole. The majority of the Republic is good (the troopers on Ord Mantell are something of an exception), with pockets of corruption here and there, with people trying to counter said corruption.

Most of the corruption in the Republic side comes to light because you are given the chance to stamp it out, while in the Imperial side you are merely given the option of adding to it or not. Which is why the Republic is my favorite side, imperial has the better stories, the Republic has the better morals.