Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Maybe I'm just wary of all the "(male)teacher/authority figures bones (female)student/lower-level coworker" stories because of general dickitude and the fact that they are so. damn. common. in this game.

Quinn's a possible exception, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a half-joke, half-nod towards his actual allegiances.

Fair enough - with the staggered release, I was a few months behind so I was RPing that character with a dash of meta-knowledge about the potential scumminess of it. Might be that I subconsciously steered away. (Plus, I played him to be the 'zero DS points/Light level 5' character for the Legacy thing so he's too tightly-wound and goody-good to have made the first-to-fifth moves on her.)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just wary of all the "(male)teacher/authority figures bones (female)student/lower-level coworker" stories because of general dickitude and the fact that they are so. damn. common. in this game.

Quinn's a possible exception, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a half-joke, half-nod towards his actual allegiances.

Quinn an exception? The Quinn romance is textbook sexual harassment. Your warrior repeatedly makes advances despite(or possibly because of) the fact that it makes Quinn visibly uncomfortable and he actually requests that you stop. If Quinn were female and this were a romance for male characters, the Bioware offices would still be burning.

Quinn an exception? The Quinn romance is textbook sexual harassment. Your warrior repeatedly makes advances despite(or possibly because of) the fact that it makes Quinn visibly uncomfortable and he actually requests that you stop. If Quinn were female and this were a romance for male characters, the Bioware offices would still be burning.

That's a good point, from what I've seen.

I still can't believe they prioritized a freaking EWOK over companions that would allow SGR. An E-W-O-K. And no, not for a second I believe Treek was planned/developed anytime close to launch, certinately not before they heard loud and clear the complaints about lack of companion-SGRs.

I had high hopes about 8 new space companions that they would 'cover' this issue but nope, looks like they're basically placeholders with few lines when people don't have all companions from the main game yet. So back to square one it seems. Again.

Edited by Pietrastor

Sorry, but can everyone please remember to mark spoilers? I'm pretty sure I know all the major plot points of Quinn's story and I haven't even finished Balmorra on my SW.

Don't worry, I wanted to drop Quinn out of the airlock the second he tried to get on my ship, so I never learned his story line. In fact, I really wish we could swap out companions we don't want.

Edited by Joushigun

Wow, it has been ages since I poked in here! And . . . still no new info. >.< This thread sure is interesting though! ;)

I gotta admit, I find the new space PvP Companions (erm, I think they need a different name, they seem to be mere shells compared to the current ones) to be a tantalizing, frustrating hint of what I imagine many of us story and Companion fans would love to have added to the "ground game". So far we've gotten/are getting, in terms of new Companions:

1. A droid

2. An Ewok

3. Space PvP only "Companions"

. . . so I really hope that the next actual Companion we get is finally a more human like one so they can include a SGRA. Well, actually, I wish they will add two like that, so the gay fellas don't get left out (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that if they only add one, it will be a bisexual female). And I also want a nexu mount with a sparkly pink saddle and a bell collar (complete with sound effects) for my Smuggler. :p

Quinn's an exception to it being Male Authority Figure, Female Subservient Role.

Hence why I said "it seems half a joke."

Mostly, this is true, but I'd like to point out that Quinn starts showing signs of some sort of affection rather early. We get him at the of Balmorra, and I can remember him answering to a [flirt] in a positive way as early as in the end of Tatooine. (Quinn was saying something about being happy to get off Tatooine because it's so hot in there, SW [flirt]ed with "You look good with a tank, Captain." which Quinn answered with "I hope it hides my blushes.") We also have to look at Quinn's personality. He's a very serious and professional person, and probably thinks getting involved with his boss is a very unprofessional thing to do.

So SWs behaviour is often sexual harassment, but I'm not sure if Quinn is uncomfortable with it because A. he doesn't like it, B. he does like it and knows he shouldn't like it or C. he does like the SW, but thinks dating his boss would be absolutely wrong. I mean, this guy starts the conversation where he finally confesses his love by asking for a transfer because the feelings he has are affecting his performance at work. He certainly thinks having feelings for his boss is wrong (or maybe even having feelings for anyone at all?).

It's such a twisted romance. Probably the reason I like it so much.

(I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that if they only add one, it will be a bisexual female)

Only because they'd be adding content for their *ahem* "core demographic", which are apparently straight men. And, as we all well know, women don't play video games, so anyone "claiming" to be a lesbian, pan- or bisexual woman, is actually just a straight dude trying to see some HLA. And that is why future romance options will be bisexual women NPCs, and there will be no options for the women PCs. Because that could be misconstrued as gay. If gay men want to have romances, well, they can find another game, because it's only 99.99% of the gaming market that caters to straight men.

Good god, sometimes thinking about how mad this makes me, makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Why can't real Bioware work on this game? Why do we have fake Bioware?

Reminds me of those stories about guys pretending to be lesbians to cyber with girls and then it turns out in the end everyone is actually guys.

That made me giggle in a mean way.

Maybe that's what Bioware: Austin thinks we are? Straight dudes pretending to be lesbians and a bunch of other, generic weirdos?

I'd want to play my scoundrel as someone who pretty much takes whoever he can get, no matter the gender, but BW is forcing him to be completely straight. My scoundrel is very unhappy about this.

Tell me about it. I RP my Smuggler with a preference for men, and I'm pretty annoyed at how the game forces you to either flirt with all the women, or be an incredibly rude jerkass towards them when you turn them down if they show even a hint of interest in you (needless to say, I winced at how brutal the 'You're not my type' line was towards Risha in one of her conversations, considering the first two were both flirt ones). Blah!

Needless to say, I was pretty happy when there was a bi flirting option for males with one of the characters in the Bounty Hunter week missions.

Needless to say, I was pretty happy when there was a bi flirting option for males with one of the characters in the Bounty Hunter week missions.

...*cursing because I didn't participate in Bounty Hunting event.*

My scoundrel's only change to get to flirt to male and I've missed it!

That made me giggle in a mean way.

Maybe that's what Bioware: Austin thinks we are? Straight dudes pretending to be lesbians and a bunch of other, generic weirdos?

Oooo...I was on the sidelines of a scandal that involved something along those lines. Okay...I use to work for a blog where the owner was secretly pretending to be a lesbian, and, well, he brought in a new lesbian blogger, supposedly from Syria, who turned out to be a man from Georgia.

I really hated that. I laughed though, but the whole thing really hurt because of how few friends I have, and how very few lesbian friends I have :(

Oooo...I was on the sidelines of a scandal that involved something along those lines. Okay...I use to work for a blog where the owner was secretly pretending to be a lesbian, and, well, he brought in a new lesbian blogger, supposedly from Syria, who turned out to be a man from Georgia.

I really hated that. I laughed though, but the whole thing really hurt because of how few friends I have, and how very few lesbian friends I have :(

Reminds me a bit of the guy was pretending to be a woman during the Arab Spring, telling tales of how men were attacking her house and threatening her, and her family. He did it to "raise awareness" I believe, while simultaneously also managing to crowd out legitimate voices at the time :rolleyes:

Bioware: Austin - once burned, twice shy?

My lie is I'm a fully functioning adult.

I believe you're supposed to at least own a house for that - we rent.

Owning a house usually just means you're renting it from the bank, I've found. Just without landlord inspections. So that's a layer of lies in itself.