Sheild Choice: Charged Plating Question

Yndras

Bioware,

Could you please answer a question on how charged plating works with the armour choices on the FT-6 Pike. I would like to know if the passive damage reduction is additive to the active skill.

For example,

Method 1 - additive

Passive damage reduction of 5% is added to active ability reduction of 60% giving 65% of hull damage reduction.

500 - 65% = 175

method 2 - accumulative

Passive damage reduction of 5% is applied after the active ability reduction of 60% is applied to the damage.

500 - 60% = 200 - 5% = 190

Edited by Yndras

Charge plating won't stop what matters most: Heavy burst damage, because weapons that are capable of doing that (BLC, slug rail gun, concussion missles, proton torpedoes, rocket pods [maybe, because it was nerfed recently]), also have armor pen.

Charge plating won't stop what matters most: Heavy burst damage, because weapons that are capable of doing that (BLC, slug rail gun, concussion missles, proton torpedoes, rocket pods [maybe, because it was nerfed recently]), also have armor pen.

I don't believe so. Why have an ability that is ignored completely by 50% of the weapons available.

No, I think it only ignores the equipped armour slot for ships that have it.

I don't believe so. Why have an ability that is ignored completely by 50% of the weapons available.

No, I think it only ignores the equipped armour slot for ships that have it.

You are mistaken.

All armor piercing weapons pierce all damage reduction - be they through passives, armor slots, or abilities - 100%, making those damage reductions effectively useless.

You are mistaken.

All armor piercing weapons pierce all damage reduction - be they through passives, armor slots, or abilities - 100%, making those damage reductions effectively useless.

I reserve judgement until I get confirmation of that. THe above does not sound feasible.

Former Charged Plating user here - I can confirm through personal experience what these guys are saying about Ignore Armor is true. It's fantastic against loadouts that don't include things like Burst Laser Cannons, Heavy Lasers and Concussion Missiles (they Ignore on the last tier, I believe), but for anything that ignores armor you're gonna be a sitting duck.

This is unlikely to change.

I reserve judgement until I get confirmation of that. THe above does not sound feasible.

If you search up some old QQ forums about GSF, you will find your evidence. Back then, GS was capable of one shotting anyone with bypass and slug rail gun, even strikers. This was because Charge Plating was their default shield. Essentially, this led to a large amount of rail damage bypassing shields and bring down a strike in one hit.

Also, this is Bioware. Your idea that something is not feasible because the concept is too stupid to make it into the game, sadly, is not viable.

Take a look at Ion rail, the not contributing system, former RNG evasion on DF, etc.

And look at me in the eye and say these are absolutely amazing ideas.

If you search up some old QQ forums about GSF, you will find your evidence. Back then, GS was capable of one shotting anyone with bypass and slug rail gun, even strikers. This was because Charge Plating was their default shield. Essentially, this led to a large amount of rail damage bypassing shields and bring down a strike in one hit.

Also, this is Bioware. Your idea that something is not feasible because the concept is too stupid to make it into the game, sadly, is not viable.

Take a look at Ion rail, the not contributing system, former RNG evasion on DF, etc.

The non-contribution system still needs work. :p How the hell can I fly a bomber, get 20 kills, 15 assists, 92k in damage and STILL be told I'm not contributing?! XD

It is, that's how it works. That's why nobody uses Charged Plating anymore. Very sadly, I admit.

Yeah it looks like it has so much potential until you get into a match and wonder why your hull has suddenly become orange before you've even lost a shield arc. At least that was my experience with Charged Plating before 2.6, not sure if the buff improved it but I'm not inclined to try it again since its usefulness is so dependent on the load out of your enemies, more so than quick charge or directional shields.

Yes, I was an advocate in beta that this was changed, but this was when there was 50% bleed through, I thought now that it was only 20% it would be much move favourable.

However, it seems I was incorrect, the damage does bypass the ability and the armour choice.(I got pealed to pieces in seconds by heavies with the active ability on)

THanks for the info people.

p.s bioware - Please adjust this to make the shield choice worthwhile.

Edited by Yndras