Petition for better Custom-Chest-Armor without butt-flaps / cowls

Gidomirf

I have been playing this game since launch, but I have yet to see a piece of armor that my Sorcerer can wear that does not have a cowl or buttflaps with an exposed midriff, she's stuck with the slave-girl bikini because most of the other light armor looks frumpy.

Lore-wise: I don't think fashion dies with the exploration of space, if anything I think it would become more diverse, and colorful. Women might, for instance wear dresses and / or skirts instead of only armor, pants & shirts. bikinis, or ankle-length robes with cowls. Men might even wear formal clothing or even exposing/alluring clothing because the sw-universe isn't entirely male-centric. Most of the Helms and hats are so repellent I'm not going to bother talking about them.

I don't expect the designers to create high-fashion, but could we please have better selection?

Less of the recolored meshes in the cartel packs would also make the bitter taste in my mouth go away a little faster. I feel like we are being bilked for money while our concerns about desired improvements for the game go unanswered and ignored. After spending another hour in a low level dungeon just to get - Warbringer's Body Armor - for my Juggernaut and finding out it had a hideous triangular tail attached to the chest with a bare midriff defying physics, I was hugely disappointed. The chest piece should only attach to the chest imo, not have extra attachments at the waist... Otherwise it would be a great bare midriff vest, sigh.

and before I get off my soapbox, plz plz plz can we get a barbershop? I'd really like to re-customize my character after realizing how popular my choices were. Also it'd be cool if more choices were available to customize character appearance, hair/color/eyes/etc.

The whole point is that I want my character to look unique and not just another clone of every other character the same race and gender and class. I used to wear un-augmented chest/leg armor to my detriment prior to 1.3 just to look unique, now everything can be augmented so its nearly impossible to be a snowflake. I'd at least appreciate liking how my character looked, not have to choose between being clothed as a sex-object, butch lesbian, or frumpy androgynous person without taste.

So, now I imagine lots of misogynistic replies may ensue, but w/e everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if they are bigoted. But I hope enough people are fed up with the drab gear we have seen and the "new" items in cartel packs that are recolored meshes of old mounts and gear.

Sign if you agree, if you troll you are essentially signing too

=3

It would be nice to have more options. Like actual heavy looking armour for female characters. I don't understand why a nice heavy top has to have a bare midriff on a female character yet not on a male character. Either make one that's bare for both or make one that's not for both.

How bout brining in some armor designs form Kotor 1&2. Like rt he virpine mesh, or zeison sha, or any of the heavy as rumors like the cassus fett armor, or the masndo neo crusader.

Sorry I feel that if you or your companion are not a man do or as trooper, shouldn't look like one but that is just me.

My Maurader has a very nice reddish color crop top that looks like something I'd wear when doing anything athletic, such as sparing or fighting.

Unfortunately like most armor it is ruined with all the extra crap stuck on it including some sort of antenna or pack on the back, along with both butt and crotch flaps.

And don't get me started on the lack of simple light armor pants.

I mean FFS, I'm heading off to some underground bunker or cave or ship to find and kill my enimies and yet I can't get a simple pair of pants to wear, yet can easily find plenty of frumpy dresses or weirdo looking space masquerade ball outfits.

I have been playing this game since launch, but I have yet to see a piece of armor that my Sorcerer can wear that does not have a cowl or buttflaps with an exposed midriff, she's stuck with the slave-girl bikini because most of the other light armor looks frumpy.

Lore-wise: I don't think fashion dies with the exploration of space, if anything I think it would become more diverse, and colorful. Women might, for instance wear dresses and / or skirts instead of only armor, pants & shirts. bikinis, or ankle-length robes with cowls. Men might even wear formal clothing or even exposing/alluring clothing because the sw-universe isn't entirely male-centric. Most of the Helms and hats are so repellent I'm not going to bother talking about them.

I don't expect the designers to create high-fashion, but could we please have better selection?

Less of the recolored meshes in the cartel packs would also make the bitter taste in my mouth go away a little faster. I feel like we are being bilked for money while our concerns about desired improvements for the game go unanswered and ignored. After spending another hour in a low level dungeon just to get - Warbringer's Body Armor - for my Juggernaut and finding out it had a hideous triangular tail attached to the chest with a bare midriff defying physics, I was hugely disappointed. The chest piece should only attach to the chest imo, not have extra attachments at the waist... Otherwise it would be a great bare midriff vest, sigh.

and before I get off my soapbox, plz plz plz can we get a barbershop? I'd really like to re-customize my character after realizing how popular my choices were. Also it'd be cool if more choices were available to customize character appearance, hair/color/eyes/etc.

The whole point is that I want my character to look unique and not just another clone of every other character the same race and gender and class. I used to wear un-augmented chest/leg armor to my detriment prior to 1.3 just to look unique, now everything can be augmented so its nearly impossible to be a snowflake. I'd at least appreciate liking how my character looked, not have to choose between being clothed as a sex-object, butch lesbian, or frumpy androgynous person without taste.

So, now I imagine lots of misogynistic replies may ensue, but w/e everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if they are bigoted. But I hope enough people are fed up with the drab gear we have seen and the "new" items in cartel packs that are recolored meshes of old mounts and gear.

Sign if you agree, if you troll you are essentially signing too

=3

I would sign it! :)

misogynistic

Aren't the forums great for expanding your vocabulary?? :)

Anyways - back to the topic - I fully agree OP - the gear in this game is probably some of the worst I have seen in any game - I have no idea what some of the designers were thinking when they came up with this stuff - its terrible to look at and I can only imagine very impractical to fight in!

Out of all this the consular probably got the worst end of the deal - I finally found a chest piece I liked for my Shadow the Perceptor Chest from the last cartel pack but then then went and changed it adding crap to the shoulders and the dreaded butt-flaps that have been mentioned - hope they change it back!

So yeah - come on devs - please give us some decent looking gear!

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised there haven't been any negative responses so far. I recently looked into a couple more outfits for my Smuggler/Scoundrel and have come up dry in a search for medium armor I like that is feminine and aesthetically pleasing. At least the pub color palette for the dancer outfit is better than the imp one, still butt-flaps though. Anyone know of any other armors I could check out? Or hats/helms that don't make me want to projectile vomit?

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised there haven't been any negative responses so far. I recently looked into a couple more outfits for my Smuggler/Scoundrel and have come up dry in a search for medium armor I like that is feminine and aesthetically pleasing. At least the pub color palette for the dancer outfit is better than the imp one, still butt-flaps though. Anyone know of any other armors I could check out? Or hats/helms that don't make me want to projectile vomit?

I think the gear in this game leaving a lot to be desired is about the only thing everyone can agree on.

I use the Drelliad Set on my Gunslinger and it looks pretty good. It's not necessarily feminine but it's one of the better looking sets, meaning it doesn't have a bunch of extra crap stuck all over it.

For light armor pants for my Shadow I got one of the Noble Commanders set form the Cartel Market. However the Social pants form Alderaan and Coruscant are pretty good.

On my Gunslinger I was wearing the Knights Vest I think it was with the Knights pants you get off of Balmorra for coms. Then for funsies I had on one of those helmets with the breathing tube thingies.

Here's a screenie of it:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg491/l500kr/ikiandthegang.jpg

Edited by ikinai

Aren't the forums great for expanding your vocabulary?? :)

Anyways - back to the topic - I fully agree OP - the gear in this game is probably some of the worst I have seen in any game - I have no idea what some of the designers were thinking when they came up with this stuff - its terrible to look at and I can only imagine very impractical to fight in!

Out of all this the consular probably got the worst end of the deal - I finally found a chest piece I liked for my Shadow the Perceptor Chest from the last cartel pack but then then went and changed it adding crap to the shoulders and the dreaded butt-flaps that have been mentioned - hope they change it back!

So yeah - come on devs - please give us some decent looking gear!

You know, back when I played WoW hunters always complained about how silly the gear sets looked. Heck we started thread after thread begging them to have some other artist (any other artist) work on our armor.

Blizz said "We get it. You don't like our armor artwork. Our artists do. We will stand behind the artists vision." Man the crapstorm that flew around after that dismissive egotistic kind of statement was nasty.

Anyway each new armor set hunters always dreaded what they would look like. I mean it got very silly. Eyeballs on massive shoulder pads, sometimes S&M inspired stuff (I kid you not. at least that's what most of us thought it looked like). Then Cataclysm happened and what was our first endgame set as a hunter?

Lightning-Charged Battlegear

Yeah, that's our heads shoved up what looks to be an angler-fish's rear and peeking out its mouth. In what way is it "Lightning-Charged"? Heck if I know.

So it looks like EA/BW snagged a few of the god awful "we must maintain the artists' vision!" germs from Blizz whilst they were rummaging around its trashbins looking for ideas.

Get a clue guys. Most of your endgame armor is crap. And you seem to be unable to understand what a rich universe of armor and outfits you can draw from. Instead most armor looks like it belongs to a half dozen other IPs!

BTW, know how they got the Elegant Loungewear top that been recolored 3 times now? An NPC on the Imp Fleet wears a dress with that off the shoulder fringe thing, They took the Slave Girl top added that then took the emblem from the Imp Dancer's top and supersized it. That's it. Copy pasta, don't get any on ya.

And when they do come up with something decent looking (Imp Dancer would look amazing either in an all black or a black red motif with a plain skirt, but that silly butt-flap ruins it!), they destroy the look with absurd butt-flaps, doodads, spikes, antennae, pads and whirligigs! Enough with the out of place additions to otherwise decent outfits! You ruin what little good work you do with that crap!

On my Gunslinger I was wearing the Knights Vest I think it was with the Knights pants you get off of Balmorra for coms. Then for funsies I had on one of those helmets with the breathing tube thingies.

Here's a screenie of it:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg491/l500kr/ikiandthegang.jpg

I really liked the Aspiring Knight's Vest until they ruined it by stretching those leg-flap things. They used to be about six inches below the belt area instead of almost to the knees. Now it just looks silly from the waist down.

I really liked the Aspiring Knight's Vest until they ruined it by stretching those leg-flap things. They used to be about six inches below the belt area instead of almost to the knees. Now it just looks silly from the waist down.

Really? I haven't worn the outfit in a while, how disappointing :(

Well, guess it's back to my ImpAgent and turning her girlfriend Kaliyo into a 'respectable' imperial citizen :p

You know, back when I played WoW hunters always complained about how silly the gear sets looked. Heck we started thread after thread begging them to have some other artist (any other artist) work on our armor.

Blizz said "We get it. You don't like our armor artwork. Our artists do. We will stand behind the artists vision." Man the crapstorm that flew around after that dismissive egotistic kind of statement was nasty.

Anyway each new armor set hunters always dreaded what they would look like. I mean it got very silly. Eyeballs on massive shoulder pads, sometimes S&M inspired stuff (I kid you not. at least that's what most of us thought it looked like). Then Cataclysm happened and what was our first endgame set as a hunter?

Lightning-Charged Battlegear

Yeah, that's our heads shoved up what looks to be an angler-fish's rear and peeking out its mouth. In what way is it "Lightning-Charged"? Heck if I know.

So it looks like EA/BW snagged a few of the god awful "we must maintain the artists' vision!" germs from Blizz whilst they were rummaging around its trashbins looking for ideas.

Get a clue guys. Most of your endgame armor is crap. And you seem to be unable to understand what a rich universe of armor and outfits you can draw from. Instead most armor looks like it belongs to a half dozen other IPs!

BTW, know how they got the Elegant Loungewear top that been recolored 3 times now? An NPC on the Imp Fleet wears a dress with that off the shoulder fringe thing, They took the Slave Girl top added that then took the emblem from the Imp Dancer's top and supersized it. That's it. Copy pasta, don't get any on ya.

And when they do come up with something decent looking (Imp Dancer would look amazing either in an all black or a black red motif with a plain skirt, but that silly butt-flap ruins it!), they destroy the look with absurd butt-flaps, doodads, spikes, antennae, pads and whirligigs! Enough with the out of place additions to otherwise decent outfits! You ruin what little good work you do with that crap!

Lol, one of the specific reasons I got tired of WoW was because of how annoyed I was with their gear. I put up with it for 6 years, but I honestly don't think I'll let myself wait another 6 years for SWtOR to figure out how to provide aesthetically pleasing garments. You know what they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. But, fool me more than 3 times* of 6 month recurring subscriptions, and maybe I really should stop playing mmos or wanting developers to be nice to me."

When I left WoW, it had features I have been praying would be implemented into SWtOR some day, and some of them have, still waiting on barbershop/race-change. I was hoping that SWtOR would have learned some of the quality of life improvements to mmos that its predecessors have mapped out, while becoming a unique and fun game in the Star Wars universe.

Just throwing out an idea, maybe they could allow subscribers to submit designs to their developers teams as part of state of the game contests. Award some cartel coins, and develop the winning outfits designed by the community, as decided by the SWtOR team and legal department (i.e. making sure to ban anyone submitting entries including something like the Black-ops 2 swasdckas). Thus we are happy because they let us have more gear to wear, hopefully they won't tack on butt-flaps, and the contest winner gets rewarded twofold with their design implemented and with coins. Also, the developers don't have to stress their creative juices if we are doing the concept art, they just have to pick and choose the one they like, make the mesh, skin it, paint it, and map out the UV-texture on it and finally determine the values of its sub-dermal coloring (the layers of material either skin or cloth or dirt reflect light at different colors and intensity and settings are used to imitate this). Piece of cake =D

It just seems like after over a year of waiting for meaningful change in some areas, and seeing little, perhaps the community of gamers that are devoted to the game, and have technical skills could offer their help to improve the game in a small capacity. Submitting concept art for outfits is one, with a bit of help from Bioware/EA/Disney we could have information on what design specs we would need to sculpt a mesh to make a 3D concept outfit. Or whatever. I don't think the Game Developers tend to think to include us in the process as though we could help them, but I'm seriously getting tired of waiting for them to listen to me asking for them to make prettier things.

*Final Fantasy XI before WoW came out wast the first [edit]

Edited by Gidomirf
elaboration