Random Emotional Dialogue on Corellia

johnxtreeme

Just walked by some woman at the Blastfield Shipyards tram crying about how she had an argument with her husband and then he stormed off to Axial Park, and she can't get there because the tram's down and she's like "I'm so, so sorry" and then cries and for the first time in a LONG LONG time, I actually thought SW:TOR outdid other games in storytelling.

I think the problem is the size of SW:TOR. IN TOR, a small path is the size of a 3 lane highway which means that you miss a lot of the ambient chat.

The upside of that is hearing new things after playing for a year. The random chat in this game is great in both factions. Adds a lot to the game.

I find the random conversations in the game added fluff that is nice to have.

One that has me laughing from time to time was when I realized they added the "Arrow to the Knee" joke but SWed it up.

If you go to Ilum and listen when near the Republic bases you will hear a Troop talking to another one about how he used to be on the front lines till he took a blaster bolt to the knee. It is slightly unnoticed to some as they add more conversation to it after that but it is still in the game and I chuckled.

That and the Power Ranger theme sound from T7 units all over the game. If anyone watched Power Rangers in the early 90s you knew the sound it made.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bounty hunter taking down a target, if you're running through one of the hallways on the Lower Promenade of Nar Shaddaa. The little guy is begging the hunter for mercy. It goes something like this:

Target: "Please, come on. Just let me go."

Hunter: "No."

Target: "But I didn't do it! Please, let me go!"

Target: "I'll pay you! A fortune!"

Target: "Okay, okay. How about making me your sidekick? I'll follow you everywhere, faithful, true, loyal. Come on!"

Hunter: "NO!"

There's a bounty hunter taking down a target, if you're running through one of the hallways on the Lower Promenade of Nar Shaddaa. The little guy is begging the hunter for mercy. It goes something like this:

Target: "Please, come on. Just let me go."

Target: "But I didn't do it! Please, let me go!"

Target: "I'll pay you! A fortune!"

Target: "Okay, okay. How about making me your sidekick? I'll follow you everywhere, faithful, true, loyal. Come on!"

Hunter: "NO!"

lol nice one, yeah sometimes they make me laugh and that is one of the things i love swtor for. i hope they keep doing that!

I'm of the impression that BW took the concept of ambient chatter and really, really went wild with it. The Mass Effect series has the same glorious ambient chat (A woman speaking to her lover, another woman, about leaving her husband in ME3 was one of my favorites)

One of my favourites, apart from the Bounty Hunter-to-Mark chat is another one on Nar Shaddaa where an Astromech is trying to convince a Protocol Droid to join the rebellion. It goes something vaguely like this:

Astromech: [Come with me! Kill you master and join the rebellion!]

Master: What did he say?

Protocol: Oh nothing Master, just saying how nice this day is.

It also links in well with a Flashpoint you do much later. As for the one on Corellia, I heard it 6 months into the game and actually did think that it's incredibly deep in contrast to what I've heard before. Hell, the quest where you choose to activate the special weapon against the passengers on the tram can lead to a very emotional cutscene.

I have a few favorites on Tattooine. On the republic side is one that goes something like:

Soldier 1: Did you know that on other planets the weather actually changes? Like, sometimes it's cold, sometimes it's hot...

Soldier 2 (sounding thoughtful): huh

Soldier 1: Really.

The other is on Empire side and it involves some grunt chastising an officer for using more than his share of water rations. The officer is all pompous and indignant and goes on about how the heat makes him sweat and says, "I'm willing to compromise, but NOT when it comes to personal hygiene!"

I think what makes these so funny for me is the tone of voice used, which is hard to convey in a post. :o

I know I've got a few others that I always stop for and listen to if I happen upon them. :D

Edited by CloudCastle

The other is on Empire side and it involves some grunt chastising an officer for using more than his share of water rations. The officer is all pompous and indignant and goes on about how the heat makes him sweat and says, "I'm willing to compromise, but NOT when it comes to personal hygiene!"

If I remember correctly this officer is voiced by TotalBiscuit, a pretty famous guy on Youtube, if you don´t know him.

Such andom conversation can also appear in some class stories. In the Bounty Hunter story on Alderaan, you can hear some nobles chat about, that "the Empire was supposed to keep such scum away".

Edited by WE_Belisarius

One of my favourites, apart from the Bounty Hunter-to-Mark chat is another one on Nar Shaddaa where an Astromech is trying to convince a Protocol Droid to join the rebellion. It goes something vaguely like this:

Astromech: [Come with me! Kill you master and join the rebellion!]

Protocol: Oh nothing Master, just saying how nice this day is.

It also links in well with a Flashpoint you do much later. As for the one on Corellia, I heard it 6 months into the game and actually did think that it's incredibly deep in contrast to what I've heard before. Hell, the quest where you choose to activate the special weapon against the passengers on the tram can lead to a very emotional cutscene.

Actually, it's closer to:

Astromech: [Noisy Organic = threat. //recommend accident.]

Protocol: Nothing subversive, Master. Why don't we take a walk?

Not exactly deeply emotional, but Imperial Belsavis has some brilliantly characteristic exchanges. From a pair of scientists at the HighSec Command Post:

SCIENTIST 1: These experiments the Republic's been conducting - xenophobia, genocidal conditioning...I can hardly believe it.

SCIENTIST 2: I know. It's ghastly, unethical...

SCIENTIST 1: You know I had this same idea years ago.

SCIENTIST 2: You--wait, what?

SCIENTIST 1: Yes. I didn't have the backing or the resources to pursue it, but the hypotheses were there. Never imagined the Republic would beat me to it. Didn't think they had it in them.

SCIENTIST 2: ...

I have always adored BioWare's ambient chatter, both companion banter and environmental stuff. It is such a great way to inject flavor.

not emotional only ran across this once. but if your trooper on ord mantel. run around the building that you get missions from. i did it just for fun one day. but guys standing next to a wall.

soldier 1: you think im havoc material.

soldier 2. no stop dreaming and do your job

or something to that affect

My personal favorite is Imperial Belsavis, on the second level in a tent near the bank. I get disappointed when I can't trigger this one. Not emotional, except the Imperial's ridiculously gleeful last line. The voice actors really make it:

Imperial: Next! And you are?

Prisoner: Kateo.

Imperial: Let's see...ah, here you are. "Killer" Kateo. Butchered an entire Republic squad with...a shiv?

Prisoner: That's me.

Imperial: Someone get this man a blaster! Welcome to the Imperial Army, Kateo. And if you should need something say, dull or rusty, just let us know.

Actually, all of Imperial Belsavis has great flavor text.

Edited by Striges

Imperial: Let's see...ah, here you are. "Killer" Kateo. Butchered an entire Republic squad with...a shiv?

Imperial: Someone get this man a blaster! Welcome to the Imperial Army, Kateo. And if you should need something say, dull or rusty, just let us know.

Hands down one of my favorite. I make a point to stand and listen to it when I bring my alts to Belsavis.

Also the IA quest has an "arrow to the knee" reference at the end of the prologue in headquarters. You end up speaking to one of the "Fixers" that hangs around Keeper. He says something like. "I used to be a field agent like you, until I took a light-saber to the chest..." Still pretty funny.

Also, there's a conversation in the Imperial Base on Hoth between two officers, where one is contemplating flirting with one of the Chiss females because they are "Exotic." His buddy tells him to expect a knife in the back, lol. He's probably not wrong.

Side note: Chiss speaking Huttese is just...wrong. :eek:

My personal favorite is Imperial Balmorra, on the second level in a tent near the bank. I get disappointed when I can't trigger this one. Not emotional, except the Imperial's ridiculously gleeful last line. The voice actors really make it:

Actually, all of Imperial Balmorra has great flavor text.

That's Belsavis, actually, but yes. Good one.

I like on Nar Shaddaa (Imperial hangar area) (Paraphrased) :

Soldier 1: The Hutts are horrible! The things I hear they do to the Evocii.

Soldier 2: Have you ever MET an Evocii. They bloody deserve it if you ask me.

Soldier 1: That's cold.

Soldier 2: Go meet one. Then you can talk. Fifty credits says you end up shoving it in a gutter. Laughing.

Edited by Darth_Vicente

i remember back when the Rakghoul event was active, on Tattooine in Anchorhead there was a guy pleading with a containment officer to see his wife who had been quarantined due to a rakghoul bite. i don't remember the exact dialogue, but i felt really sorry for that man. props to the voice actors there.

and not only do they have great flavor dialogue, but i love it when they add npc scenes for the events. remember during the Rakghoul event, if you went to your ship's hangar while infected, some containment officers would swoop down and attack you? for the Chevin event, the first couple days, right near the Republic spaceport taxi, there were a couple gangs that looked like they were about to get in a fight with each other. a few days later in that same spot, there were a bunch of dead and injured guys laying around with some security officers trying to get the story of what happened. they had scenes like that everywhere during that event.

Edited by happysister