Why can't we romance Satele Shan?

Slowpokeking

We only got very few flirt options, I mean she's the cover girl for SWTOR, it would be quite awesome to date the Jedi Grand Master.

The whole "Jedi are not allowed attachments" thing for one. Second, I guess after being hauled over the coals for doing whatever it was she did, with whomever it was she did it*, to produce a certain young "Theron", she seems to have dedicated her life to the Jedi Order and no amount of flirting is going to get her to forget that.

Besides, she has her saberstaff and dueling saber for when she gets lonely, and I am pretty sure that as well as buzzing, they both vibrate when held in the hand... that would explain why my female Jedi always insist on using those particular weapons.

* The comic strip where she was first introduced suggests it was Harron Tavus, but swtor's approach is for that to be Jace Malcolm, from what I have seen.

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar

Probably cause she's like the Ben Kenobi of SWTOR (or rather, one of multiple Ben Kenobis). She's the wise old person who gives sage advice and never quite seems to be fully in touch with reality, like she's got one foot in the spirit world.

Compared to Bastila in KOTOR, who was young and brash and inexperienced. If we'd met a much younger Satele in SWTOR, I'm sure we'd have had the opportunity to romance her. But I'd almost say it's an unwritten storytelling rule (though I hate to use the word "rule"... sounds too strict) that the wise figure is beyond relationships, for the very reason that if the main character can just get in a relationship with them, they don't seem so wise and nebulous anymore. Suddenly they are this vulnerable person, with hopes and dreams and fears, and their wisdom isn't worth ****.

Imagine Luke flirting with Yoda on Dagobah. And Yoda's all like, "Gosh, it's nice to get close to you, Luke. Living out in this swamp for ages, I've been. Nearly given up hope. Figure you'll probably fail, I do, but what else is there to try. Emperor is too strong, made me look like fool in Episode 3."

Luke: "Wait, so you don't even in believe me?"

"Believe in you, I do not. Spend our remaining years together, I recommend. Mmm, hm hm hm."

Imagine Luke flirting with Yoda on Dagobah. And Yoda's all like, "Gosh, it's nice to get close to you, Luke. Living out in this swamp for ages, I've been. Nearly given up hope. Figure you'll probably fail, I do, but what else is there to try. Emperor is too strong, made me look like fool in Episode 3."

"Believe in you, I do not. Spend our remaining years together, I recommend. Mmm, hm hm hm."

What has been seen, cannot be unseen. :eek: Thanks. :mad:

Probably cause she's like the Ben Kenobi of SWTOR (or rather, one of multiple Ben Kenobis). She's the wise old person who gives sage advice and never quite seems to be fully in touch with reality, like she's got one foot in the spirit world.

Compared to Bastila in KOTOR, who was young and brash and inexperienced. If we'd met a much younger Satele in SWTOR, I'm sure we'd have had the opportunity to romance her. But I'd almost say it's an unwritten storytelling rule (though I hate to use the word "rule"... sounds too strict) that the wise figure is beyond relationships, for the very reason that if the main character can just get in a relationship with them, they don't seem so wise and nebulous anymore. Suddenly they are this vulnerable person, with hopes and dreams and fears, and their wisdom isn't worth ****.

Love makes people stronger sometimes, not weaker.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen. :eek: Thanks. :mad:

What makes it creepiest is the inclusion of that mumbly laugh thing Yoda was so fond of in ESB.

OT: Satele is also kicking 70 in KOTFE. Born in 3699, KOTFE Ch. XII is somewhere in 3632/1. So she's 67! "Dat GILF," I guess?

What makes it creepiest is the inclusion of that mumbly laugh thing Yoda was so fond of in ESB.

OT: Satele is also kicking 70 in KOTFE. Born in 3699, KOTFE Ch. XII is somewhere in 3632/1. So she's 67! "Dat GILF," I guess?

Why didn't she use Force technique to make herself look like her 20-30s? Zash could do it.

Why didn't she use Force technique to make herself look like her 20-30s? Zash could do it.

The technique is called Sith Mask. It's literally a dark side technique. That being said, she does have a kid already and is already in a romance.

Ok, her ingame model has weird face textures. But apart from that... yeah she's still smokin'.

Don't see it happening anytime soon, but would tap if could tap.

Same with Zash

at least until the end of Chapter 1

, on the condtion that she never, ever drop her magic.:D

Love makes people stronger sometimes, not weaker.

I'm crashing hard from sugar right now and my brains are going into my feet, but I'm not saying love makes people weak. The general idea is that in a story, part of what makes the wise figure seems wise is the mystery of them. If you get to know them too well, it becomes harder to see them as wise.

That's all I really mean.

I think. :eek:

Example that comes to mind: Dumbledore in HP. The more we get to know him through Harry's eyes, especially later on, the more we realize he's just another human being with flaws like anyone else, and he's not even that great of a person. He just had good intentions pretty consistently.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's not so much the "love" part itself, as it is the intimacy and the wholeness of seeing a character as a complex person.

I'm crashing hard from sugar right now and my brains are going into my feet, but I'm not saying love makes people weak. The general idea is that in a story, part of what makes the wise figure seems wise is the mystery of them. If you get to know them too well, it becomes harder to see them as wise.

That's all I really mean.

I think. :eek:

Example that comes to mind: Dumbledore in HP. The more we get to know him through Harry's eyes, especially later on, the more we realize he's just another human being with flaws like anyone else, and he's not even that great of a person. He just had good intentions pretty consistently.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's not so much the "love" part itself, as it is the intimacy and the wholeness of seeing a character as a complex person.

But Satele is not a wise figure to non JC/JK character, it's a game and we should have the freedom to romance.

But Satele is not a wise figure to non JC/JK character, it's a game and we should have the freedom to romance.

I assume because after having Theron, Satele just isn't interested in such things anymore. You character might be, but she's not as evidenced by the flirt and her basically going "Ah...nope" to you if you pick it.

*shrug* To me she is (if you include KOTFE #spoilers), but I'm not against it. Just was explaining what I imagine is the most likely reason that it hasn't happened. Responding to the question posed in the thread title and all that.

Slightly off topic, but did anyone think that there should have been more familiarity between Satele and the JC/JK characters? And surely at least the JK could have been able to see that she was talking to a force ghost and not "strange" but yet I had the exact same options as my IA. Either wow, Satele, you've grown strange. Or I don't have time for this...

And I'm surprised that there wasn't more "What happened to the order? Where's Kira? Or a "confession, I've fallen to the emperor's hold" discussion. Anyway, sorry for sidetracking the discussion. I see her as an older, wiser person who is unwavering in her beliefs and therefore isn't tempted by the idea of love or sex.