Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Teaser for 'The Mandalorian'

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Teaser for 'The Mandalorian'

Celise's Avatar


Celise
08.28.2019 , 12:34 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
How is Sabine not a Mandalorian? She's a member of Clan Wren, part of House Vizsla, grew up on Mandalore, and was trained by Mandalorian Protector Fenn Rau (in addition to whatever Mando training she received prior to or concurrent with her Imperial Academy training). .
Alright ask the creators to put her with Clan Wren for every episode of Rebels and have them focus on her and her clan for most of the episodes.

I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian, but rather an outcast with training who'd rather tag places than do anything strictly mandalorian, and based on her behavior. Again without a baseline as to what a typical Mandalorian is like without the threat of death hanging over their heads, i got no way of knowing if Sabine's behavior even fits with Mandalorian psychological norms, whatever they maybe. You tell me, is she really a Mandalorian in heart and spirit?

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
08.28.2019 , 12:49 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Alright ask the creators to put her with Clan Wren for every episode of Rebels and have them focus on her and her clan for most of the episodes.

I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian, but rather an outcast with training who'd rather tag places than do anything strictly mandalorian, and based on her behavior. Again without a baseline as to what a typical Mandalorian is like without the threat of death hanging over their heads, i got no way of knowing if Sabine's behavior even fits with Mandalorian psychological norms, whatever they maybe. You tell me, is she really a Mandalorian in heart and spirit?
Okay, I think I follow -- you're saying she's not an example of a 'typical' Mandalorian, so looking at her doesn't give the audience a real sense of what it means to be Mandalorian? She's not simply an archetypal Mando. I agree with that, there's a lot more to the character than her being an answer to "What are Mandalorians like?".

I also agree that we haven't gotten a 'clean' in-depth view of what Mando culture is like in the new Canon, the way it was laid out in some of the Legends novels, but I think a pretty robust picture can be pieced together between the Deathwatch stuff in the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian Protector and Clan Wren stuff in Rebels Seasons 2 through 4.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Celise's Avatar


Celise
08.28.2019 , 01:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Okay, I think I follow -- you're saying she's not an example of a 'typical' Mandalorian, so looking at her doesn't give the audience a real sense of what it means to be Mandalorian? She's not simply an archetypal Mando. I agree with that, there's a lot more to the character than her being an answer to "What are Mandalorians like?".

I also agree that we haven't gotten a 'clean' in-depth view of what Mando culture is like in the new Canon, the way it was laid out in some of the Legends novels, but I think a pretty robust picture can be pieced together between the Deathwatch stuff in the Clone Wars and the Mandalorian Protector and Clan Wren stuff in Rebels Seasons 2 through 4.
Yeah, it muddies the water somewhat. a nice clean example of what Mandalorians are like would give the basis on where everything else fits. If this Mandalorian series shows all that stuff that Mandalorians get up to and fits with the stuff in Rebels and the clone wars without the pressure of outsider forces altering their behavior, then you have a point there, because you'd have a baseline to work from and if Deathwatch and Wren follow that then i'd have no counter point.

At this point i just can't really tell between the Deathwatch, Clan Wren and anyone else along the way. there isn't a great deal of consistency in their behavior and Sabine throws another question mark into the gears as her behavior is contradictory to the values and the types of people the Mandalorians you'd expect and being so young with non-mandalorians, it would alter her behavior and consequently her place as a Mandalorian, assumng she was one from the start.

MadDutchman's Avatar


MadDutchman
08.28.2019 , 08:48 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Alright ask the creators to put her with Clan Wren for every episode of Rebels and have them focus on her and her clan for most of the episodes.

I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian, but rather an outcast with training who'd rather tag places than do anything strictly mandalorian, and based on her behavior. Again without a baseline as to what a typical Mandalorian is like without the threat of death hanging over their heads, i got no way of knowing if Sabine's behavior even fits with Mandalorian psychological norms, whatever they maybe. You tell me, is she really a Mandalorian in heart and spirit?
Citation need. It is explicitly stated in the show that Sabine is a Mandalorian from a long line of Mandalorians.

Besides, what makes you think all Mandalorians have the same "norms" or fit the same stereotypical mold? Real cultures don't work that way, and only the most boring and one-dimensional of fantasy cultures work that way. Mandalorian culture from the old EU certainly didn't work that way. It was very diverse, even outright contradictory.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Celise's Avatar


Celise
08.29.2019 , 01:36 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Citation need. It is explicitly stated in the show that Sabine is a Mandalorian from a long line of Mandalorians.

Besides, what makes you think all Mandalorians have the same "norms" or fit the same stereotypical mold? Real cultures don't work that way, and only the most boring and one-dimensional of fantasy cultures work that way. Mandalorian culture from the old EU certainly didn't work that way. It was very diverse, even outright contradictory.
Haven't you read anything the previous few comments before you made this one up? Your citation you are asking for not even you have an answer to yet, i don't have an answer to yet either. We need a baseline example of what Mandalorians are like on any typical day without any concerns pushing them. Learning about all the cultural customs and everything else you seem so concerned with and what they are like as a person,., what drives then could be a lot different than what drives an imperial or an ordinary ciitizen, so their responses could be a lot different.

Wren, Sabine and all the others as you pointed out are contradictory and a piece of the puzzle is clearly missing as to what binds them together. Rebels didn't show enough because each episode isn't long enough and the threat of the imperials has changed their priorities. Deathwatch was contantly involved in fighting with a domineering leader, be it Pre or Maul, the overall Deathwatch troops didn't care, they fought and died with no consideration and when a group broke away to try save Satine and the like, there wasn't an explaination as to why.

If this Manadalorian series can fill in the blanks, you'll have your citation.

MadDutchman's Avatar


MadDutchman
08.29.2019 , 07:20 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Haven't you read anything the previous few comments before you made this one up? Your citation you are asking for not even you have an answer to yet, i don't have an answer to yet either. We need a baseline example of what Mandalorians are like on any typical day without any concerns pushing them. Learning about all the cultural customs and everything else you seem so concerned with and what they are like as a person,., what drives then could be a lot different than what drives an imperial or an ordinary ciitizen, so their responses could be a lot different.

Wren, Sabine and all the others as you pointed out are contradictory and a piece of the puzzle is clearly missing as to what binds them together. Rebels didn't show enough because each episode isn't long enough and the threat of the imperials has changed their priorities. Deathwatch was contantly involved in fighting with a domineering leader, be it Pre or Maul, the overall Deathwatch troops didn't care, they fought and died with no consideration and when a group broke away to try save Satine and the like, there wasn't an explaination as to why.

If this Manadalorian series can fill in the blanks, you'll have your citation.
"I know i read up in the past that the creators didn't think of Sabine as an actual Mandalorian,"

That is what i want a citation for. Considering this is directly contradictory to what is in the show.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Volcinar's Avatar


Volcinar
09.11.2019 , 06:32 AM | #17
cannot. wait. for. this. show.

the action looks amazing, and i hope the story can live up to what i've seen so far.

did my eyes see a Twi'lek character, like an actual twi lek character in a live action star wars presentation?!?!

and Gina Carano...holy smokes!

MK-ULTRA's Avatar


MK-ULTRA
Yesterday , 12:09 PM | #18
I hate that guy's voice at the end. He's that documentary filmmaker who think's he's a poet or something.
The galaxy is flat.

MuteButtonHero's Avatar


MuteButtonHero
Today , 02:58 PM | #19
I dislike all the services that are trying to grab some subscription $$. Netflix makes sense because they are an aggregator (lots of sources of content) but places like NBC are trying for their $15ish too. I think they'll find they saturate the market as consumers have to decide which to get and which to give a pass, with each company making less as a result.

Sigh. So it's with that background that I find Disney has enough offerings I am tempted. Strictly speaking they are not an aggregator but they have a lot of stuff, including a lot of things like SW that they bought. I'll probably end up trying them in November and if I like the shows, I'll keep paying, at least for a while.