Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness PVE ..shock, do or don't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Madness PVE ..shock, do or don't?

HugoBendtsen
02.17.2013 , 06:08 PM | #1
I dinged 50 like 3 weeks ago and have been fortunate enough to find a decent PvE guild and today we downed our first TFB boss on HM after downing Kephess HM

I have, untill today, been deception all the way through, but wanted to up my damage, so i specced madness.

Man, it was kinda hellish to practice madness on the horror on hardmode, and it wasnt untill the end that i found out that creeping terror should be cast with deathfield and discharge to manage the cooldown.

So when i do it like that, and i mind the procs and whatnot, im using my force pretty close to 100% (@1800+ dummy dps), and then i see this:

Shock increases melee bonus dmg by 10%

The force cost is 39 and man, that's steep, so i jkust wanted to hear u other madness assassin's if you bring in shock into your rotation or leave it out to preserve force?

Xethis
02.18.2013 , 03:22 AM | #2
Back in 1.2 and 1.3 a Shockless rotation could increase your dps, however as of the last few months Madness Assassins that use Shock actually had better dps. Personally I just used Shock to refresh Unearthed Knowledge. I ran a Hybrid spec that utilized the Induction talent for the increased Maul crit damage so UK was a must to keep up. Even with out the Induction talent your still dealing quite a bit of white damage with Maul, Thrash and Assassinate.

So aside from the actual damage you get from Shock there is a second dilemma. If you Shock too much, you have to Saber Strike more often, hurting your dps. If you pick up your Duplicity talent your Mauls are almost free, and Raze procs give your free Crushing Darkness, I found that when I tried to Shock after these procs I usually had enough Force not only to Shock, but enough to keep my rotation going for the rest of my abilities.

If you can manage your Force, then Shock as much as you can. If you are late refreshing your Dots because you are having to Saber Strike for some Force, then I would Shock less.

WooduckAUS
02.18.2013 , 04:37 PM | #3
Short answer for max sustained dps output = DO NOT SHOCK

However there are exceptions to the rule. but until you get better with this build, i would advise to stay well away from it.

Sustained dps loss with shock is around 50-100 dps.

2006 dps
http://www.torparse.com/a/133999/tim...183/0/Overview

No shock/project in there ^^

(sorry stumbled onto this thread by accident, saw the title and it made me curious)

HugoBendtsen
02.18.2013 , 06:16 PM | #4
thank you both for your replies.

i can see how it would come in handy situational, like i burn phases when you have excess force.

i tried testing it on a dummy and the dps for me, atm, was the same.

The ekstra tsress from managing anotherspell isnt worth it at all atm, but ill try to optimize over time.

I guess for now it's two wasted talent points that might as well be spent in lowering dot dmg.