There is a Maker. Korriban is Saved!

Beniboybling

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Korriban is a major part of EU lore, I think a more elegant solution is required.

When the episode comes out it will give a pretty good indication of what will happen to EU lore surrounding the Kotor era and before. If it mentions the first sith being Darth Ruin or the "real" sith species. I have a 99% certainty the episode will not mention anything regarding the sith species. We gotta remember here according to TCW continuity, Moriband almost has no lore surrounding it.

Considering Korriban is a major part of EU lore, I think a more elegant solution is required.

And I did say that this was not 100% certain. Apologies if I got your hopes up.

Is there going to be a "solution"? I wouldn't expect one to be possible. This could just be them dumping the entire EU altogether.

Without Korriban you can't have the any of the events from the the Hundred Year Darkness to the Great Hyperspace War onto anything up to the New Sith Wars. Which would have to be renamed. Not only would every Sith Lord before Darth Ruin be decanonized, but all the novels and comics surrounding Darth Bane would be too because even though he's part of Lucas' backstory, all the stories about him feature references to Revan and Exar Kun.

But if Morriband is really the "ancient birthplace of the Sith" and at the center of the galaxy like that one other report said, you can't have Korriban.

I suppose it's impossible to predict until the episode comes out but by the Clone Wars retconing one of the oldest and most well established planets in the Expanded Universe, I think this is a sign that the EU is not even slightly respected.

Edited by OldVengeance

until the episode comes out but I think this is a sign that the EU is not even slightly respected.

This is already well known though. Majority of the higher ups in lucasfilm have already stated the EU isnt canon. Even TCW showrunner Dave Filoni has come out and stated that it isnt canon..It should give you a pretty good indication that Lucasfilm has recently ordered Hasbro to stop making any EU character figures.

The EU fanatics were warned of this a long time ago...so im not sure why they are having a cry now.

Edited by Girdeux

Just a question bout Netflix since were on that, but is the free trial month really free? I heard it still charges.

Most services like Netflix where there's a "Free Trial" will indeed be free for the designated time-period, BUT will automatically charge the same as they would a normal subscriber as soon as that trial is over.

You just need to actively "Cancel" the account you made before the trial is over to avoid being charged for the first month afterwards (the same as you would have to cancel before the next billing cycle if you're a subscriber to avoid automatically being renewed and charged for the next month).

Most services like Netflix where there's a "Free Trial" will indeed be free for the designated time-period, BUT will automatically charge the same as they would a normal subscriber as soon as that trial is over.

You just need to actively "Cancel" the account you made before the trial is over to avoid being charged for the first month afterwards (the same as you would have to cancel before the next billing cycle if you're a subscriber to avoid automatically being renewed and charged for the next month).

Probably this. I've seen other models work in the same way.

I know, I suppose the part I didn't expect was for them to go out of their way to essentially jettison the whole thing all at once.

lol lets be real here. It doesnt exactly help the EU's situation when you have characters like Sion, Nihilus and the Emperor. Its WAY too over the top

Edited by Girdeux

Is there going to be a "solution"? I wouldn't expect one to be possible. This could just be them dumping the entire EU altogether.

Without Korriban you can't have the any of the events from the the Hundred Year Darkness to the Great Hyperspace War onto anything up to the New Sith Wars. Which would have to be renamed. Not only would every Sith Lord before Darth Ruin be decanonized, but all the novels and comics surrounding Darth Bane would be too because even though he's part of Lucas' backstory, all the stories about him feature references to Revan and Exar Kun.

But if Morriband is really the "ancient birthplace of the Sith" and at the center of the galaxy like that one other report said, you can't have Korriban.

I suppose it's impossible to predict until the episode comes out but by the Clone Wars retconing one of the oldest and most well established planets in the Expanded Universe, I think this is a sign that the EU is not even slightly respected.

This is already well known though. Majority of the higher ups in lucasfilm have already stated the EU isnt canon. Even TCW showrunner Dave Filoni has come out and stated that it isnt canon..It should give you a pretty good indication that Lucasfilm has recently ordered Hasbro to stop making any EU character figures.

The EU fanatics were warned of this a long time ago...so im not sure why they are having a cry now.

I'm not quite sure you guys understand the realities of canon and the EU here. Let me update you.

When something is rendered non-canon, it isn't just labelled non-canon, its erased for continuity. Its pulled of the shelves, its discontinued. Bye bye. You also failed to mention that this game revolves around Korriban as well, which means it would have to be shut down. No more SWTOR. No more MMO. Its non-canon.

But anyway, that's not going to happen, I assume you guys haven't been keeping up with recent developments concerning the EU so I guess you are not aware of the Lucasfilm Story Group that has recently been established.

Basically its a division of Lucasfilm that has been established to manage Star Wars continuity and will determine all future Star Wars canon. But what is important is that they plan to abolish the existing hierachy, no G-Canon, no C-Canon, no "EU is not canon" - everything is going to be canon, the same level of canon as the movies. EU included. It will therefore be their task to sort out all inconsistencies and make the EU are more cohesive unit.

And guess what the Lucasfilm Story Group have recently had a hand in? The latest SWTOR expansion.

SWTOR is safe, Korriban is safe and I expect the long standing and long respected Old Republic era is too.

This idea that the "higher-ups" don't respect or care for the EU is also a bunch of hogwash created by fearmongers and naysayers, in fact the opposite is true, the "higher ups" have a lot of respect for the EU. Especially the team behind the Clone Wars which has taken vast amounts of material from the Expanded Universe to make their episodes. The Moriband issue is a big one, yes, but lets not get our knickers in a twist just yet. Many many planets within Sith Space have been labelled the "homeworld" of the Sith, including Korriban, Ziost and Dromund Kaas.

Yes Korriban has been confirmed as the "official" homeworld, but only by outside sources. Establishing Moriband as an alternate homeworld or the original homeworld would not conflict with EU. Even renaming Korriban with Moriband is do able. The only people who have named it Moriband so far are some ancient spirits probably dating back to the Celestials, who is to say the name has not yet changed? This will be a job for the Story Group. Be patient.

P.S. We are all fans of the EU here, no need to talk about QQing and throwing words like fanatic around...

Edited by Beniboybling

lol lets be real here. It doesnt exactly help the EU's situation when you have characters like Sion, Nihilus and the Emperor. Its WAY too over the top
Are these really the reasons why people think retcons happen? :rolleyes:

I thought Sion and Nihilus were very well handled for the record, the Sith Emperor not so much.

I'm not quite sure you guys understand the realities of canon and the EU here. Let me update you.

When something is rendered non-canon, it isn't just labelled non-canon, its erased for continuity. Its pulled of the shelves, its discontinued. Bye bye. You also failed to mention that this game revolves around Korriban as well, which means it would have to be shut down. No more SWTOR. No more MMO. Its non-canon.

But anyway, that's not going to happen, I assume you guys haven't been keeping up with recent developments concerning the EU so I guess you are not aware of the Lucasfilm Story Group that has recently been established.

Basically its a division of Lucasfilm that has been established to manage Star Wars continuity and will determine all future Star Wars canon. But what is important is that they plan to abolish the existing hierachy, no G-Canon, no C-Canon, no "EU is not canon" - everything is going to be canon, the same level of canon as the movies. EU included. It will therefore be their task to sort out all inconsistencies and make the EU are more cohesive unit.

And guess what the Lucasfilm Story Group have recently had a hand in? The latest SWTOR expansion.

SWTOR is safe, Korriban is safe and I expect the long standing and long respected Old Republic era is too.

This idea that the "higher-ups" don't respect or care for the EU is also a bunch of hogwash created by fearmongers and naysayers, in fact the opposite is true, the "higher ups" have a lot of respect for the EU. Especially the team behind the Clone Wars which has taken vast amounts of material from the Expanded Universe to make their episodes. The Moriband issue is a big one, yes, but lets not get our knickers in a twist just yet. Many many planets within Sith Space have been labelled the "homeworld" of the Sith, including Korriban, Ziost and Dromund Kaas.

Yes Korriban has been confirmed as the "official" homeworld, but only by outside sources. Establishing Moriband as an alternate homeworld or the original homeworld would not conflict with EU. Even renaming Korriban with Moriband is do able. The only people who have named it Moriband so far are some ancient spirits probably dating back to the Celestials, who is to say the name has not yet changed? This will be a job for the Story Group. Be patient.R]

I hope you do realize it was me that linked you to the Story group in the first place, correct? It doesnt matter what the EU states to be the homeworld of what, what is shown in TCW is final as its the real history behind the movies. As TCW follows the vision of Lucas you can watch as anything to do with the Sith species and the Sith organisation before Darth Ruin go up in flames.

Now lets see what Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni thinks as its pretty easy to see what the direction as a whole is going in.

"The EU is a well of ideas, and there's what's on screen. They don't live in the same universe. Everyone wants to think so, I know… We just need to think of it all as a creative collection of fun ideas separate from what George Lucas has made." Dave Filoni"

Now Hidalgo who is apart of the story group.

Pablo Hidalgo: we try! Some just don't want to hear it. Canon is only what's on screen - Episodes I-VI, TCW, and what's to come.

and this latest piece of information about Lucasfilm cancelling anything to do with the EU http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

I hope you do realize it was me that linked you to the Story group in the first place, correct? It doesnt matter what the EU states to be the homeworld of what, what is shown in TCW is final as its the real history behind the movies. As TCW follows the vision of Lucas you can watch as anything to do with the Sith species and the Sith organisation before Darth Ruin go up in flames.

Now lets see what Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni thinks as its pretty easy to see what the direction as a whole is going in.

"The EU is a well of ideas, and there's what's on screen. They don't live in the same universe. Everyone wants to think so, I know… We just need to think of it all as a creative collection of fun ideas separate from what George Lucas has made." Dave Filoni"

Now Hidalgo who is apart of the story group.

Pablo Hidalgo: we try! Some just don't want to hear it. Canon is only what's on screen - Episodes I-VI, TCW, and what's to come.

and this latest piece of information about Lucasfilm cancelling anything to do with the EU http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

If you are aware of it I'm confused as why you continue to post a quote that was made in 2012, before the Story Group was created. That statement is true in the context in which it was made. But canon is changing, the EU is no longer considered on a lower tier of 'canon', they are not just 'a collection of fun ideas' they do now live in the same universe.

This has been confirmed by Leland Chee himself, what Filoni has said is outdated.

More so than ever, the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy.

[Disposing of the hierarchy and having one cohesive canon is] definitely a primary goal of the Story Group.

This also seemingly contradicts Pablo's statement. But we should consider Film Only continuity may still exist.

As for that article, a common example of fearmongering. "Hasbro isn't making toys anymore therefore the EU is dead!" What a load of nonsense. Its unsurprising that considering the EU is about to undergo several changes and new merchandise is on its way thanks to Rebels and of course the new movies, that Lucasfilm would want to momentarily freeze/cancel production of certain EU products. Especially the post-ROTJ since that is bound to undergo some major overhauls and retcons. But people like to exaggerate. At least they have the courtesy to say:

We don't know any decisions of comics, video games and the like, so be sure not to say "JTA said there are no more EU comics or video games coming", because that would be a lie. Thank you.

I hope you are not jumping to conclusions.

Your also not taking into account the fact that the Lucasfilm Story Group have been involved in SWTOR, I find it difficult to believe they would pratically endorse an MMO which is about to go "down in flames". I mean really, this is fearmongering at the upmost. A possibly new planet called Moriband has been confirmed as the homeworld of the Sith and you take that to mean that the Old Republic era is going to be BURNED BURNED BURNED TO THE GROUND.

We need to think logically, at the very least wait until the episode is released before making such statements. I accept that its possible TCW will always have a certain level of authority over the EU, but do not assume that the EU is somehow now irrelevant. That couldn't be further from the truth, it is now more relevant than ever.

Certainly don't assume that Korriban is now non-canon and that the Old Republic era/SWTOR are to be scrapped. Especially considering that the two can easily be reconciled with eachother and in all seriousness have to be.

Edited by Beniboybling

You also need to understand the purpose of the Story Group, it is designed to make canon cohesive, not to go around bulldozing stuff. If that was the plan they wouldn't have bothered with a Story Group in the first place. Attempting to erase Korriban entirely from Star Wars lore would create a mess of unimaginable scale. It won't happen.

They'd have to rename the planet in SWTOR for a start, then get back all the old actors to say "Moriband" instead of "Korriban" - then edit the codex entries etc. Lol that would be entertaining. Update 2.7: Moriband. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beniboybling

I'd expect SWTOR to keep going as long as it's deemed profitable, but I don't think it is going to be reconciled with offiical canon.

The story would be most easily made cohesive by just dropping the Old Republic and the entire old Republic era from continuity. The game would just continue as a non canon game until it gets shut down.

Not every Star Wars EU product has an official place in the timeline, I think.

Edited by OldVengeance

I'd expect SWTOR to keep going as long as it's deemed profitable, but I don't think it is going to be reconciled with offiical canon.

The story would be most easily made cohesive by just dropping the Old Republic and the entire old Republic era from continuity. The game would just continue as a non canon game until it gets shut down.

That would contradict the purpose of the Story Group however I feel, who seem to want to create a single cohesive canon with no contradictions. Dropping the entire old Republic era from continuity with these goals in mind just so they can call a planet Moriband seems insane to say the least.

And considering that the Story Group seem to be making an effort to make sure SWTOR conforms with existing a future canon (I'm referring to their involvement in GSF) seems to imply they have no intention of disposing of it.

Altogether we are jumping to some silly conclusions I feel. Moriband can be reconciled with existing EU, easily. Lets wait to see what happens before assuming that the Old Republic era is bye bye.

Noting that rumors in so far are suggesting the OR era to be amongst the safest of periods. But rumors and rumors.

P.S. Star Wars: Ewoks is canon.

Seems unnecessary. Like Beni said, Moriband can be slid into the Old Republic era without a fuss.

And let's face it, there will be Moriband content eventually.

That would contradict the purpose of the Story Group however I feel, who seem to want to create a single cohesive canon with no contradictions. Dropping the entire old Republic era from continuity with these goals in mind just so they can call a planet Moriband seems insane to say the least.

And considering that the Story Group seem to be making an effort to make sure SWTOR conforms with existing a future canon (I'm referring to their involvement in GSF) seems to imply they have no intention of disposing of it.

Altogether we are jumping to some silly conclusions I feel. Moriband can be reconciled with existing EU, easily. Lets wait to see what happens before assuming that the Old Republic era is bye bye.

Noting that rumors in so far are suggesting the OR era to be amongst the safest of periods. But rumors and rumors.

P.S. Star Wars: Ewoks is canon.

Well if TOR was non canon, there would be a single cohesive canon with no contradictions. It just wouldn't include this game or any of it's closely or loosly related works.

Well if TOR was non canon, there would be a single cohesive canon with no contradictions. It just wouldn't include this game or any of it's closely or loosly related works.
No, it would be two alternative universes, the latter universe making a whole lot more sense. This is the issue here, SWTOR will still exist an MMO which many Star Wars fans partake in, they'll also assume that because it exists it is canon (as it always has been) and therefore will not only be confused on the new storyline, but won't acknowledge it.

But you underestimate how widespread the influences of the Old Republic era are. References to the OR and specifically to the Ancient Sith and Korriban are found in every single other era in varying shapes and forms.

Darth Bane and the Rule of Two for example, originally created by Lucas, has already been linked closely with Revan and the Ancient Sith. Then we have Darth Plagueis, of which the novel makes a number of references to the OR era. Sidious himself at one point visits Korriban, Vader owns the Journal of Darth Malgus etc. etc.

Even in the Clone Wars the Jedi Padawans build their lightsabers on a vessel from the Old Republic era, bearing the symbol of the Republic of the Great Galactic War period, along with other references.The OR era at this point is so ingrained into the fabric of the EU that extracting it without causing a bloody mess is impossible.

And if they did try it I'd simply laugh, and ignore the new timeline completely.

P.S. But why are we even discussing this? Not only is the OR era one of the most, if not the most, respected non-Lucas era which has the most references and links to the Rise of the Empire and Rebellion eras, has already made appearances in TCW, is a pet favourite of Dave Filoni and the TOR MMO is endorsed by the Story Group.