Do you AoE or DOT bosses that are going to get healed to full anyways? Why?

---in operation boss fights.

Just curious... I'm sure it takes a lot of skill and attention to maintain dots on multiple targets, but the remaining bosses are going to be healed to full whenever one of them dies anyway. As Lethality i try to maintain at least 1 DoT on another target if possible to help with energy regen. But that's about it. Other than that, GCDs will server better purpose, imo, on the main target to help you and your raid finish the encounter faster.

just my 2©

:o

Edited by paowee

Only incidentally. As a hybrid sniper, I really like having another target close to my primary so that I can AoE DoT both at once. It's basically free energy, and the meter padding is just gravy.

My raid group does spend a lot of time AoEing the Dread Guard though, even on hard mode. The reason for this is to smooth tank swaps for the melee during the second phase. We keep the tanks very close together so that the bosses don't move during a swap, which means (by extension) that Ciphas and Kel'sara remain within AoE range of each other. Specs which have incidental AoE (hybrid/lethality or engineering snipers, rage marauders, lightning sorcs, etc) benefit the most from this sort of thing.

I've been throwing a corrosive grenade out on Vilus Garr in my filler (We take out Horic First) because:

1. He doesn't heal unless he is significantly injured. (What exactly does that mean? I don't know, but it isn't more than 94%) My corrosive grenade does a good amount of damage, but throwing that on him every 21 seconds isn't going to make him heal.

2. It helps with energy management. Its not just the fact that crits from corrosive grenade give me energy. Corrosive grenade has an amazing DPS / Energy ratio. Corrosive grenade actually puts out almost the same damage as a SoS while only using 1 gcd, with the same amount of energy per second.

Edited by bbare

Just as background, I've beenplaying around with my Sorc DPS and been gearing him out in preparation for raids. I'm far from being the better Sorc DPS out there so you can understand how i'm always eager to do some research and look at what other sorcs DPS are doing. I was very excited when i saw this http://www.torparse.com/a/215289/26, but was a bit let down when i scrolled and looked at the rest of the logs...

Affliction (Force)

19:55:45.417 18s Affliction (Force) 762 internal No Vilus Garr

19:55:46.795 19s Affliction (Force) 701 internal No Tu'chuk

19:55:48.258 21s Affliction (Force) 701 internal No Sunder

19:55:48.451 21s Affliction (Force) 701 internal No Vilus Garr

19:55:49.838 22s Affliction (Force) 701 internal No Tu'chuk

19:55:50.018 23s Affliction (Force) 1182* internal Yes Captain Horic

I know all that tab targetting dot damage is just going to be healed up to full as the bosses are killed (unless you do bbare's strategy which i've never done myself). Like what SQ_Display_Name said, just meter padding :(

My raid group does spend a lot of time AoEing the Dread Guard though, even on hard mode. The reason for this is to smooth tank swaps for the melee during the second phase. We keep the tanks very close together so that the bosses don't move during a swap, which means (by extension) that Ciphas and Kel'sara remain within AoE range of each other. Specs which have incidental AoE (hybrid/lethality or engineering snipers, rage marauders, lightning sorcs, etc) benefit the most from this sort of thing.

I've honestly never thought of it this way. lol I always thought that guilds just do it for the heck of it, or to pad up the meters as per the DPSer's request :)). My guild tanks them on opposite ends of the room.

Edited by paowee

Depends since I don't DPS in SWTOR but at least in other games you could get procs off the other dots rolling and while it was "meter padding" as someone said it actually had a purpose as well. (Keep your proc trink rolling smoothly, or as my warlock get extra instant shadowbolts, etc.) Edited by Battyone