Frostbite

Changing an graphics engine is not too hard.

Age of Conan did so, well they rebuilt the old Dreamworld engine to an improved version, complete rebuild.

Not going into too much details, but it did work quite well, the implementation as well taking less than a year to do.

If they did put it on frostbite 3 this game would be 1000 times better for graphics, day and night cycles, weather etc. Makes me shudder with glee just thinking about it.

and run like crap with 2 players on screen. MMOs arent FPSes or RTS. MMO engines are much more complex. Crysis engine couldnt pull it off on Aion, so i highly doubt frostbite would ... which is inferior on every aspect to crysis .

and run like crap with 2 players on screen. MMOs arent FPSes or RTS. MMO engines are much more complex. Crysis engine couldnt pull it off on Aion, so i highly doubt frostbite would ... which is inferior on every aspect to crysis .

Ow ye cos battlefield only has 1 player maps. What one engine cannot do does not determine what a dif engines limitations are. A genre doesnt define the engine, and what a company can do with an engine is also another matter. Not to mention aion run very well, it was just boring but has one of the best char creations ive ever seen.

Ps its called the cryengine not crysis engine and cryengine one was used for Aion not cryengine 3. Worlds apart.

Edited by Shingara

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread complaining about the consequences of wearing slave dancer tops on Hoth... ;)

Seriously, I don't 'get' what's so wrong with the current engine, really. I know it's not flawless- certain mobs need to be told "You're dead; fall *over*!" for one thing, and it really would be nice if so many 'holes' didn't have to be patched with fades to black etc... but, any engine must have some limitations, one way or another. What we have currently works.

Works, but not good enough.

There won't be many arguments that what we have now doesn't really cut the mustard. Chatbubbles and open world pvp debacles being the highlights of it. But pointing at the current shiney frostbite3 is not a realistic answer. A lot of spit and polish and quite possibly major major rewrites for a new (64bit) client is.

Like you guys I love this game and I would love to see it move forward. I just wanted to see if the community liked this idea and perhaps in the future EA can find a cheap and easy way to do this, maybe.

In a word. No.

In a bunch of words: no no no no no no no no no.

Edited by Arkerus

The problem is not with the graphics part of the engine - its the networking code. There is a reason why we dont have 16+ raids and warzones. The engine simply cant handle it - and by engine I dont mean the Hero Engine since the version BioWare bought had zero multiplayer functionality. All the network code is done in-house at BioWare and changing to a more "modern" engine like Frostbite will only re-introduce the same problems unless they step up and actually optimize their network code.

The Hero Engine can do much more graphically, but the style art chosen for Old Republic is why everything has a cartoonish look to it. Not because of engine limitations (people in Beta was playing with high resolution textures - the ones we only see in cinematics now - with zero performance issues).

Yeah they wanted this mmo to look like star wars the clone wars for some reason , its laughable. The art for this game could of been so much better.

heading into it's second year of play and stable.

:jawa_tongue:My god this was the funniest thing I've ever read.

This game is not stable. Gary Busey snorting crack cocaine off of Pamela Anderson's scantily clad backside is more stable than this game.

Don't get me wrong. i love the game. but it's not stable at all.

Edited by Alquist

Upgrading the Hero engine code to the latest version would probably be more beneficial than switching engine.

From what ohlen said at gdc i wouldnt be shocked if its easier to switch to frostbite then coding what we have to the upgraded version of hero engine, atleast ea created and developed the frostbite engine, dont have to pay any license and they have the ultimate tech support for it, dice.

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread complaining about the consequences of wearing slave dancer tops on Hoth... ;)

I Lol'd :)

Seriously, I don't 'get' what's so wrong with the current engine, really. I know it's not flawless- certain mobs need to be told "You're dead; fall *over*!"

"Oh my Ghod! We killed him so dead we broke the gravity!"

If they did switch engines the game might be down for a few months but I think that it would be worth as long as subscribers don't pay for that period and that we don't have to restart our characters.

Here is the thing, would it. If they do it in the back ground, dropped it in a huge patch and ala kazam done. Most people have to download the whole thing anyhows when they get it new so no skin of peoples nose there. We might have quite a bulky download thats granted but it write over the old as it did the new if they did it right.

I dont see why we would lose our chars though, thats all stored on a database with id tags of what we have done, what configuaration our chars are, what ids our gear, achievs etc are. Aslong as they kept the same database codes etc they would simply pick up plop.

Edited by Shingara

I love when people gush how great graphics make great games.

You probably have Fable III in your library, don't you? And I bet you thought it'd be Game of the Year.

Awww it's like watching a child dancing to Justin Beiber.

You just don't know any better, don't cha? No you don't! No you dooooon't!

It's a good engine. They'll do what they have to do. IMO at this point it's probably way too late.

I love when people gush how great graphics make great games.

Great graphics make great games better, no question. Sadly, Bad graphics make average games bad. See: Dragon Age 2.

Edited by maxetius

They'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up to convert it to a new engine, tens of millions of dollars and years of work.

Never going to happen.

This is the reality.

besides, the majority of the issues attributed to SW:TOR doesn't stem from the graphic/engine. It's more content (or lack of). Keep wishing

Edited by Slicksteezin

I don't even understand how the OP came up with such a ridiculous proposition. People have been doing this since day 1.

Let me just make it very bold for the next person who says it:

You can't just shut down the game and swap engines. It doesn't work like that. Its not something that is even on the table, ever. Creating posts about changing engines just makes you look foolish.

Edited by Arkerus