Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Couldn`t play the game-best of luck

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Couldn`t play the game-best of luck

Thorncat
03.22.2012 , 11:25 PM | #1
I`m moving on from SWTOR because I never actually had a chance to play the game.
From what I`ve seen, the game looks fun. Companions and space battles are the big draw for me. However, I had to jump through too many hoops. If you collect feedback here, I`d just like to list the different barriers that kept me from the game.

1) Game not available in Japan. I'm a university prof in Japan. I tried to buy the game from Origin, but was region locked. Not sure the legal issues for this, but I haven't had this issue with other games. I got around it by ordering from Amazon.

2) Subscription required to play. I was told I'd have 30 free days. This seems dishonest. I'm an American, so I have a US credit card, but my international friends had to buy game cards.

3) Credit card payments region locked. I had to wait until I visited the US for a conference to set up the subscription. As someone who travels quite a bit, this is unfortunate.

4) Computer couldn't play the game. This one's on me. I'm a pretty casual gamer. My office IT guy said it would play the game, but I'm having this issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAa5iNQwrkw

At this point, I was ready to buy a new computer. I'd been planning on it anyway, but then Blizz announced Diablo 3, and most of my friends are excited to play, so I'll just reup WOW and do that.

I've already spent a lot of time and money on this game and am disappointed I wasn't able to play it. From my experience, I would recommend developing better international support and allowing lower computer requirements. For me MMO's are fun because of the people you play with, and there were too many barriers that kept me (& my colleagues) from playing.

If I have time in the future I'll likely try to play again. Please attempt to address the issues I've mentioned. From a gaming perspective, please keep adding more cool, customization companions and expand space combat. (Star Fox please?)

It looks like a great game--I wish I could have played it.

がんばれー

Onyx
03.22.2012 , 11:58 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Thorncat View Post
2) Subscription required to play. I was told I'd have 30 free days. This seems dishonest. I'm an American, so I have a US credit card, but my international friends had to buy game cards.

4) Computer couldn't play the game. This one's on me. I'm a pretty casual gamer. My office IT guy said it would play the game, but I'm having this issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAa5iNQwrkw
#2 That's how just about every subscription-based MMO works (including WoW unless they changed something recently). It's also mentioned on the box if you purchase a physical copy and in the order information text if you purchase a downloadable version.

#4 Did you try removing and then updating/reinstalling your graphics driver? That's the usual fix for that issue.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Zoggel
03.23.2012 , 12:20 AM | #3
Hello Everybody!

We appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns about Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, but will be closing this thread, as there is little room for constructive discussion.

We encourage you to make threads about specific game-related topics if you like and suggest putting them in the Suggestion Box or specific forum.

We wish you the best.