Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can i run the game on a 1.6GHz laptop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Can i run the game on a 1.6GHz laptop?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PatT
01.12.2012 , 12:04 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by JaspahX View Post
What kind of processor is it? Is it a Core i3, i5, or i7 series?

Some of the misinformed people in this thread have no idea what Intel Turbo Boost technology found on many modern Intel CPUs is.

My laptop's CPU is a Core i7 720QM, which is rated at 1.6GHz not including Turbo Boost. It can, and will typically clock up to 2.8GHz on AC power. However, Windows will continue to indicate that it is only a 1.6GHz processor in system information.

Also, worth noting that my laptop runs SWTOR just fine.
I am running on the same processor getting very decent speeds. The cores do get a bit warm, but nothing serious. It's the vid gpu that gets too warm and I'm looking into it.

But it runs wonderfully. I just use lots of cooling.

PatT
01.12.2012 , 12:08 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Daedricshots View Post
pretty much this^

1.6ghz is really slow, couple that with a lap top and its a recipe for swtor tear salad.
Unless you are talking about the turbo boost technology. As the one guy earlier in the thread posted...to a link ...I'm running same chip. Game runs fine. I do have more ram than he has.

And whomever said you can't use a 1GB vid card is also dead wrong.

Ardyrial
03.22.2012 , 11:05 PM | #33
FYI:
My computer was shutting down only when I was in SWTOR, usually during a fight. I took my computer for serving, they replaced the hard drive. When I got it back it was still shutting down due to the game. I opened a ticket...

My Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Response from EA Games:

"Greetings,
I am protocol droid J6-D2
I have received your transmission regarding the issue you have been having with the crashing of the game.

Thank you for the dxdiag log you sent in. From this I can see that your computer is not meeting the minimum requirements needed to play Star Wars: The Old Republic.
For a list of the minimum specifications, please browse to: http://www.swtor.com/info/​faq#171060

Please note the requirements needed to play the game successfully.

the problem will be with the processor in the laptop.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Protocol droid J6-D2 (aka Richard)
Star Wars The Old Republic Customer Service"

Eonz
03.22.2012 , 11:14 PM | #34
you couldn't run WoW on 1.6... there is no chance
I7 2600k @ 4.43ghz, liquid cooled/ Corsair ForceGT 120gb ssd/ EVGA GTX 580 3gb vram @ 815 core clock, 1630 shader clock, and 2010 memory clock/ 16gb gskill ram/ sitting on an ASUS p8z68 v-pro/ 32"@1920x1080

ricekerspies
03.22.2012 , 11:20 PM | #35
You might be able to play barely with a few tweaks in the settings, and config files. Also, installing Directx9 helps. It increased my fps by about 30+. If you're interested in buying a desktop, i would consider building one. You can build a pretty solid desktop for around 500-600$ that can run swtor easily.

Also, my alienware m11x laptop has an i5 processor that runs at 1.066ghz. So 1.6 is not necessarily slow. It all depends on what processor you have.

EDIT: Just looked at your system specs. From what i can tell, your system specs are more than enough to handle this game so don't listen to anyone telling you to buy a new laptop. Have you tried formatting, and reinstalling windows? Starting from a clean install could fix the issues your having. I was having issues crashing on my desktop, then reformatted. I am no longer having issues.

Onyx
03.22.2012 , 11:32 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Eonz View Post
you couldn't run WoW on 1.6... there is no chance
It totally depends on the rest of the specs. On a 1.6 single- or dual-core processor? Not TOR but certainly WoW lol.

On the laptop the OP has? Absolutely for TOR.

In case you missed it, here's the real info:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Display Memory: 3793 MB
Dedicated Memory: 986 MB
Shared Memory: 2807 MB
So yea, it is definitely above spec for this game.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider